Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Avila Beach Hotel(Willemstad)
View Hotel
Scuba Lodge & Suites(Willemstad)
5,422 results
All reviewssun clubjapanese restaurantbluewater grillentertainment teamworld cafea la carte restaurantsflamingo buildingda mariopreferred clubfire showseafoodthe blue water grillcoco cafecandy manjohnny rocketoceana barbaby love
Reviewed December 26, 2013

our vacation at the sunscape was good except for a few things...service in buffet and bluewater grill for dinner were terrible. first thing when you are seated at any restaurant should be a beverage, not happening, especially at the buffet. top shelf liquor is no where to be found. no shower by preferred club pool???. no bikes. no one tells you that there is one free dive per stay. beware on sunday night, the beach next door(mambo beach) has a big party, lots of loud music until 2:30 a. m. , not sunscapes fault. weather was good, cloudy/little rain, but warm. take their shuttle or a "bus" downtown, cool place. walk across pontoon bridge. also their shuttle from the airport and back was very nice, 30 minute ride.entertainment not that great, but always had something in the evening. try the casino, i came out $150.00 ahead. last do go in the water and try the snorkeling, fish everywhere. you don't even have to go out that far, take bread with you and they will find you....all the workers were very nice...we would go back if the price was right!!!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank ClevelandMojito
Awendel K, Assistant to the General Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for writing about your experience at the resort. We are sure that readers will find it very instructive, along with the information they find in our webpage, regarding general information about our resort and services.
Your comments has been forwarded to the corresponding department in order to keep on improving our services.

Once again, thank you very much for review.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed December 25, 2013

I was there with my husband and my almost 3 years old grandson. We booked this hotel from December 8 through December 15 because we liked the price, the place (low rise buildings, small private beach very close to the rooms, and waves breaker that allows you to swim in the sea without looking what the weather is). Upon arrival we ask to upgrade our room, and we got it without any problems. It was just what we wanted: relaxation, light breeze, no waves, everything is close, food was simple but tasty. We travel a lot, and we have been in fancy high rise hotels with fancy restorants, fancy rooms, and a lot of food. But as for me, I like to have vacation like this: simple, comfortable, relaxing. Everything was clean, beds were comfortable. I liked service very much: whatever we asked for was done right away with words "my pleasure". If you expect luxury and personnel running around you because they desperately need your dollar, this place is not for you. Yes, I agree, that place needs a lot of work, but 5 star hotel in Curacao cost much more and it is not going to be all inclusive. For the price we paid having vacation in Curacao, it was great. We did not like Japanese restorant, but we liked Italian very much. We liked the fact that we could be outside all day long. The water in Curacao is safe to drink, so you do not have to control kids all the time to make sure that they are safe (it is very important to me).
Yes, the beach is little bit rocky. So, I took swimming shoes for my husband, but I and my grandson were OK. It would be nice to have a shower on the beach to rinse the sand from your feet, and to have an extra blanket in the room ( not just a third part of it).
The resort is family and kids friendly. There is a Kids Club, that open till 9PM, with professonal personnel, so you can have your time for yourself to enjoy your dinner or time together or go to the SPA. Babysitting service is available for $7hr for kids under 3. I did not use SPA. because, I think, it is overpriced (though, may be it worth it, I do not know).
But overall experience was great, we liked it very much, and we would recommend this hotel to our friends.

Room Tip: If you do not like stairs, choose first floor, becaose there are no elevators in the building.Flamingo (8000) building (preffered club) is the most quiet because it is far from entertainment area. So, if you want to relax and avoid noise, go there. It has its pool as well, and beach there is nicer.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank TravelLover826

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review! We are glad you had a great time during your stay with us.

We would like to thank you for your collaboration and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed December 19, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed there Dec 1 - 8.

Like one of the guests said #Sunscape #Curacao is not a resort, it is just a motel. I would say it is kind of the exaggeration, but there is some truth in it.

Lobby - not impressive at all. Not much of the quality decor. Basically it is just a low ceiling 25 meters long corridor, leading from entrance to the beach area, with reception, Preferred Club lounge, souvenirs shop, tour desk, miniature bar and cafe in between - that is what it is.

Beach.
80% rocky. But stones are not sharp. Due to the fact that there are stones, there is plenty of fish. Makes it great to snorkel. The beach is guarded by wave breaker stone barrier from the open sea. It transfers the beach into a sort of laguna, which is very valuable. Sandy parts of the beach are located near stake restaurant and at the very right of the preferred club area.

The only beach shower is at the main swimming pool. All other areas does not have it, which is not comfortable at all and I would say not civilized. When our friend asked the manager, why there are no showers he replied that if they have more showers, then he had to lay off people who clean.

To get lounge chairs under palapa you have to get up early, like 6.45-7 am.

Wi-fi.
Free wi-fi is in lobby, at preferred guests lounge and casino. Rooms, beach are not covered. Though local provider states on its side that you may buy its pay-as-u-go wi-fi cards at Souvenir shop beside reception, these cards covers only reception area, though has stronger connection allowing long skype sessions.
We have used Viber for calls and regular connection was good enough for it.
If you have unlocked phone u may get Digitel sim-card in many shops.

Bars.
Only Amstel on tap. Selection of drinks is limited to the extreme. For example: only one type of gin available - Gordon's, whiskeys - Canadian Club and Crown Royal (hv seen the last two only once in 7 days). Hygiene is a big issue - if you ask for lime or lemon, many bar tenders just pick it with bare hands! Yaks! Note, that due to their insurance policy bar tenders fills drinks in their own plastic glasses. So, no reason to bring mugs with you here.

Coffee Shop Coco
They serve freshly brewed espressos, capuchinos and coffees along with the selection of pastries.

Buffet.
HORRIBLE. EXTREMELY POOR, AGAIN - EXTREMELY POOR SELECTION. DO NOT EVEN MENTION THE PRESENTATION. No fresh juices, nothing. Primitive to the extreme. No fresh fish or stakes cooked in your presence. Veggies - cucumbers and tomatoes are often not fresh. I had a feeling they have cut it a day before and has not put into fridge. Reminded me horror food stories at 2.5-3* Cuban hotels. Staff is poorly trained and inefficient. For example, to get water and coffee you may need to ask twice or wait indefinitely. When they remove dirty dishes from the table you see how unprofessional their movements are. They start pouring water into the glasses, done it for two, then left due to some reason and never came back to complete the task. In other instances they come to you 2-3 times to ask what you need to drink. So the 3-rd person was without water! The only positive note about buffet - they serve pretty good coffee.

Himitsu Japanese restaurant.
The best of all. They have nice tepanyaki with noodles, veggies, chicken, beef and shrimps. At the same time sushi is very primitive and tasteless.

Oceana Restaurant.
Menu choice: 2 soups, 2 starters, 5 mains and 3 desserts. Tried catch of the day - red snapper - whole fish, and shrimp. Both are very good. Service is good too. But no bread has been offered. The seating is limited and you may need to wait for a table. We had to wait for 45 min.

Preferred Guest Lounge
The only air-conditioned public place of the hotel, except souvenir shop.
It has nice design and enough seating. If you need laptop they have several loners. There are several types of reading materials there. Selection of snacks is extremely limited: 2 types of canopes and 1 type of cookies. Coffee or tea are always available. Of the alcoholic drinks only sparkling wine is available. Wi-Fi connection is strong.

Preferred Guest Building and Beach.
At the very end of the resort. Beach chairs are better than in the other areas. They also give you brown towels to distinguish from other guests, I think. But the staff is not enforcing the entrance to the beach and use of the chairs, so guests from other buildings can use the chairs and beach of the Preferred area. There are other issues, like towels are not changed daily as well as turn down service has been done only once (may be it was only our case). Proposal to the management: move the lounge to the building, i.e. where users are, like they do in most other resorts (look at H10, as one of the examples). In this case your preferred guests do not need to drag themselves across the resort to contact the staff. Also, serve at least breakfast in the lounge. Put some premium drinks and wine there to complement bubbly - the only one there now.

De Mario Italian Restaurant
Initially you will be offered special wine for extra price. Antipasta is nice as well as the main course.

Other things.
Get anti-mosquito spray, other wise you will be suffering.
All restaurants are without A/C.
Car rental is available at the reception area. Rates start from usd50/day. If you wish to explore east and west parts of the island as well as the city, rent for 2 days.

Visit aquarium - just 20 min walk east of the resort. They have dolphins, flamingos, stingrays, sharks, etc. - worth a visit. Allocate min 1 hour.

Stayed: December 2013
9  Thank AlexS0
Awendel K, Assistant to the General Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review regarding your recent stay with us. We take comment received very seriously in order to continue improving our services.

It is regrettable that you encounter several situations during your stay that may have tampered with your vacations. We are sure that if you would have approached a member of our management staff, we would have done our best to change your perspective and assist you in any way possible.
Nonetheless, your comments have been forwarded to the corresponding departments and actions are being taken in order to continue improving our services.

Once again thank you very much.

Reviewed December 19, 2013

I traveled to Curacao with my boyfriend (now fiance - we got engaged during our stay!) and stayed at Sunscape December 9 – 16. We booked through Cheap Carribean and originally selected a garden view room. As our trip began getting closer, we decided we wanted to upgrade to ocean view. I emailed Sunscape and corresponded with Marayah, who was very prompt and helpful in helping us upgrade. We ended up upgrading to ocean view with Preferred Club.

Upon arrival, there was a representative just outside the airport holding up a Sunscape sign. Our names were on the list and we boarded the free shuttle to the resort. Since we had upgraded to preferred club, we checked in at the Preferred Club lounge, which was air conditioned. We received a cool towel and a glass of punch. Check in went quickly and someone escorted us to our room, which was in Building 3. Our “Ocean View” room was actually Ocean Front – we could open the door to our porch and walk right onto the beach, another 20 yards and we would have been in the ocean. At night you could hear waves rolling onto the beach. We loved our room.

FOOD: There are multiple restaurants at this resort: Bluewater Grill (Steakhouse), Himitsu (Japanese Hibachi), Oceana (Seafood), and Da Mario (Italian), and the Buffet. We ate at each place at least once for dinner. Our favorites were Da Mario and Himitsu, but really they were all pretty good. Not all restaurants are open each day – there is a daily newsletter that tells you which restaurants will be open, and at what time. Usually, you receive this newsletter the night before, unfortunately this was somewhat inconsistent – we received it about half the time. No worries if you don’t receive it – near the towel hut there is an information board that displays the newsletter each day. Thursday evening the buffet was located on the beach, which was fun. If you are going to do buffet for one of the nights, I recommend picking the night they do the beach buffet. I enjoy drinking wine, and I have to say I was really pleased with the wine at the resort. I saw the back of the red wine bottle and it said it came from Chile.

PREFERRED CLUB: To be honest, I think this is an area of opportunity for the resort. The perks you get for being Preferred Club: the special check in area (same amount of people working at both desks – depending on how many people have preferred club you may still have to wait a bit to check in. The plus side is that the lounge is air conditioned). Wi-Fi in the lounge is included in the price (otherwise you have to pay $40 for the week). There is a special Preferred Club section of the beach – honestly, I don’t know how they would differentiate if you were Preferred Club or not. I felt like we could have went there and not been Preferred Club – actually, I would recommend you do so as this side of the beach had far less rocks when entering the water, and the beach chairs are more comfortable. Another benefit at the Preferred Club Beach is the Beach Butler service. Someone will walk around and take your drink orders and bring you a drink. Problem was, there were a few times it took close to an hour to get our drink. The Oceana bar was maybe a 5 minute walk away, so we would get our own while waiting. There is also a Preferred Club only pool – again, nothing special, and a non-preferred club member could easily go to this pool if they wanted to. So, at the end of the day, the only benefit of the Preferred Club was getting Wi-Fi included, which I could have paid extra for being a non-Preferred Club member and saved money overall.

RESORT PROPERTY: The resort itself is medium sized. Not a gigantic mega-plex resort, but still more than enough space to spread out. Just the right size, in my opinion. The snorkeling, like many other reviews have stated, is fantastic. We rented a car for part of trip and did snorkeling at other beaches, and we felt the snorkeling at the resort was the best. We saw a small octopus, barracuda, and many other fish. We brought a banana out with us one morning and got some great shots of the fish close up. There are kayaks, paddle boats, and windsurfing equipment that you can use as well.

ENTERTAINMENT: Each night the resort has some sort of entertainment. The daily newsletter will tell you what it is, when and where. We participated a few of the nights and met some great people and had a lot of fun. Tuesday they had a “Battle of the Sexes” tournament, which was heavily favored for the women to win. It didn’t matter though, because we all had a great time. The winners received a small bottle of Curacao liqueur, which was a great little souvenir to take home. On Friday night they had a “Game Show” night, which was really just trivia, and it was funny because some of the questions from Battle of the Sexes were repeated (as were many of the contestants). The first and second place winners received a larger bottle of Curacao liqueur, and third place received a small bottle similar to what we received on Tuesday. The resort has a “Disco” for late nights, it has foosball and a pool table, and karaoke is held here also. The building itself though, was kinda weird. We hung out there a few times, mainly because it was the only bar serving alcohol after 11, but the vibe was just weird.

OVERALL: I would absolutely recommend this resort to my family and friends. We had a great time and I’m glad we stayed here. For it to be considered a "3 Star" resort, I feel like they did a really great job. A few things that I think could make the resort even better:
1) Like I mentioned before, make improvements to the Preferred Club. At its current state, I don’t think it’s worth the extra money.
2) The room cleaning was very inconsistent. There were some days we’d come back after lunch and everything was done. There were other times it was 7 PM and no one had been there yet. One day, 4 different people came within the timeframe of 5-6 PM (One person to drop off towels, one person to drop off the newsletter, another person to stock our mini bar and then the maid). It was more of an inconvenience than anything else, not really a huge deal.
3) The beds in the room were incredibly uncomfortable, and much too hard. By the time we left, I felt like I needed to schedule a massage when I got home because by back was so stiff. Also, the bedding consists of one sheet. When I sleep, I like for the room to be cool, but for me to be warm/covered up. I resorted to wearing a sweatshirt and long pants to bed, just so I wouldn’t freeze at night. Another heavier blanket or comforter would be nice to have, even if it was just in the closet for the people who wanted it.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
11  Thank Shauna K

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for writing about your experience at the resort. We have read your comments about the hotel and we greatly appreciate that you took the time to write them, as our guests' satisfaction is our main priority.
Please rest assure knowing that we are currently working in the points mentioned in your review to significantly improve our services to our guests'.

It was an honor having you here and we hope you decide to visit us again in the near future.

Thank you for choosing us.

Reviewed December 18, 2013

Great location, very clean.
Rooms (pelican building) need some renovation, but size and comfort are very good.
Staff is always very friendly and helpful.
There is no possibility to mail postcards or letters and the hotel is not in walking distance to a post office.
It would be an advantage to have more offers of vegetarian main dishes in all restaurants. Esp for the Oceana it would be good to have a vegetarian dish. It has the most beautiful setting, but if you are allergic or do not like fish you cannot enjoy the experience.
The Himitsu is a positive exception. Here you get good vegetarian food.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with AMResorts
2  Thank Katja S

Dear Guest,

Our main goal is to meet and exceed our guest our guests' expectations and we are very happy to know that we did so. We have forwarded your comments regarding the vegetarian food to the department for revision, in order to perform the necessary changes and provide the guests with the service they deserve.

Thank you for you review and we are looking forward to welcoming you again soon.

Your sincerely,