“Wonderful Honeymoon”

Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in Willemstad
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Wonderful Honeymoon”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

The Sunscape was a very pleasant surprise after reading several not so positive reviews. We were very pleased with the location from the airport. The resort was very well maintained and located in the perfect spot right by the beach. The Sunscape provides a shuttle service to and from the airport which is very nice. Check in was not too complicated and they were gracious in granting us special upgrades for our honeymoon.

The staff at the Sunscape was responsive and attentive. We stayed in room 3101 in the Plover building which was at first a little too close to the beach and restaurants. We attempted unsuccessfully to change our room to another location where other Preferred Club members were staying. The room eventually grew on us being located close to the lobby, beach, and restaurants so we didn't press to change rooms anymore.

The restaurants are excellent, Oceana being our favorite. The buffet at the World Cafe had many different offerings and would satisfy any appetite. The drinks were excellent! We found the beach concierge offered by the Preferred Club to be a pleasant luxury. It's a good idea to bring your own (larger) cup to the bars and concierge for drinks. The strawberry daiquiris are highly recommended :)

There was a nice little enclave surrounding the beach were snorkeling and other water sports were offered. The beaches were a little rocky so be advised to wear your sandals into the water. The Sunscape provides snorkeling equipment for an hour which is plenty of time to scope out the little enclave.

We were very pleased with how they treated us on our honeymoon. We were given a complimentary bottle of champagne, turndown service at night, offered couples massages, and given a pleasant private dining on the beach; many thanks to Gwengelo our wonderful waiter!.

We would recommend that the front desk staff be more aware of the "back of house" activities such as lost and found and turndown service, other than that the staff was exceptional. There could be better Wifi service offered throughout the resort but in the Preferred Club lobby the service was fine.

Overall, we are very happy with our decision to stay at Sunscape for our honeymoon. It is close to down town Willemstad and also the Dolphin Academy which we adored! Would recommend this resort to anyone visiting Curacao.

Room Tip: Choose the Pelican or Flamingo Building (Building 7 or 8)
3 Thank maura1983
Awendel K, Assistant to the General Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review! We are so glad you found us to be above average and recommendation worthy.
We look forward to serving you again in the near future!

Yours Sincerely,

Management
Sunscape Curacao Resort, Spa & Casino

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,410)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Abilene, Texas
Reviewed October 17, 2013

My husband & I stayed at Sunscape Curacao from October 5-12 to celebrate our two year anniversary.

We booked our honeymoon two years ago at a "Five Star" Marriott on St. Thomas and wound up having nothing but problems the entire trip. This being said, I was very nervous to spend the extra money for a supposed "Five star" resort this time around. We were a little nervous going into the trip after seeing some of the reviews here on Trip Advisor and people's posts on the Sunscape Facebook page; however, we talked on the way to the airport about how we had spent a considerable amount of money for the trip and we would make the best of it no matter what happened. Our vacation turned out to be perfect and worth every penny we spent.

Through Facebook I got an email for Kurt Klaber, one of the managers. He emailed me back the very same day and had taken the time to answer each one of my questions individually. We had booked an ocean view room and he gave us the option to upgrade (for a very reasonable rate) to an Ocean Front Junior Honeymoon Suite in the Preferred Club. We were in Room 8201 and the view was absolutely spectacular. I've been to Hawaii, St. Thomas, St. John, St. Criox, California, & Florida...never have I had a hotel room with such an amazing ocean front view. We were maybe 40 yards from the beach & crystal blue water.

We thought the best thing about the preferred club was the private beach + pool & the beach butler that comes along with it. Besides the preferred club, there are no servers coming around bringing you drinks when you're on the beach. (Not that big of a deal but it was nice to be waited on.) We started out each day by tipping the beach butler $5 and they continuously came back to us all day long. My favorite was Arciela (I think) but I probably didn't spell it correctly. She was amazing & checked us on throughout the day on & off. At one point, one of the cabanas came open & she came over to tell us we could move into the shade there if we wanted. Great service!!!

When we got through customs at the airport the shuttle was waiting for us. It look a little while as one of the passengers had their bag taken by someone else, but it wasn't any big deal. When we arrived at the hotel we were greeted with smiles, cool towels, and some sort of champagne punch that was delicious. I went to the regular desk to check in and was whisked into the Preferred Lounge for a private check in. The ladies in there had all of our paperwork ready for us, offered us additional champagne punch, and put the wireless code into my iPad for use during our stay. Every single one of the ladies in the Preferred Lounge were pleasant and helpful every time we went in there. We never had a problem connecting to the WiFi either.

When we arrived at our room, the first words out of my husband's mouth were, "This is 1000 times better than our honeymoon already!" There was a chilled bottle of champagne waiting for us, fruit plate, bath robes, and slippers, plus a "Happy Anniversary" banner on our door. I think at this point we knew it was going to be an amazing trip. We made friends with another American couple that night at the bar and could feel ourselves start to relax before we even went to bed that night.

We snorkeled multiple times at the beach, including a sunset snorkeling trip with Benjamin and the water sports guys. This trip took us outside the rock wall, and I was a little bit nervous about that, but the guys always waited for me to catch up & showed us all kinds of fish along the way. The guys were just great & they were very knowledgeable about what we were seeing in the ocean. Benjamin said the only rule was, "See everything & touch nothing." Simple enough, right? :-)

We ate at each of the restaurants and the food was always good. Blue Water Grill & Himitsu were my favorite. You have to make a reservation the day before to be at the Hibachi grill and it was closed Monday & Wednesday while we were there; so plan ahead. It's a fun experience and the food was excellent. I wish I could have another piece of that Grouper for dinner tonight!! Blue Water Grill was excellent and we loved the atmosphere there. Sitting out on the patio right by the ocean with the evening breeze was awesome. We had EXCELLENT service from both Jean Paul & Adrian at Blue Water Grill. They were great servers. The Italian place was very good, I thought. (My husband wasn't overly thrilled with it.) The service wasn't superb but we could tell the girl was trying & we were drinking wine with friends so we just enjoyed our time together. Oceana was good but it did throw me for a loop when my Red Snapper came out whole. I LOVE fish & especially Red Snapper but I didn't really expect him to come out with eyes haha. Live & learn I guess. The buffet was great for breakfast but that's really all we ate there. There are tons of choices on the buffet; everyone should be able to find something they like. We did enjoy the create our own pasta station. It was delicious. Milagros (spelling?) greeted us at the buffet several times. She was always pleasant & smiling no matter what time it was in the morning. The service at the buffet does need a little bit of improvement. I don't think they had "sections" so we often went without any service during breakfast. We simply got up to get a cup of coffee & it wasn't a big deal. I do think they should break the tables down into sections, as is customary in most restaurants. This way, a server would know when they got a new table & to take water/coffee to them. That would probably make a huge difference in the overall buffet experience.

As far as the drinks go...yes, they come in little cups. We never found this to be a big deal but some people did. Others were smart enough to bring their own big plastic cups. The bartenders would gladly fill them up for you & it wasn't an issue. Gerald & Norma were the best bartenders we had. Gerald was always around the pool & swim up bar area. He had our drinks refilled before we had even finished them & he made them right. Norma was the same way. P.S. they WILL make you a double if you ask for it!! :-)

We only left the resort twice during our stay. Once we went into Willemstad to shop. We found things to be pretty expensive there & didn't buy hardly anything. It was fun to go just to see the architecture and walk around. The other time, was to go to Klein Curacao. We booked through Bounty Adventures and it was our favorite day of the entire trip. The boat ride over there was pretty rough as we were going against the wind, but it was so worth it!! The water is absolutely stunning; the food was amazing; & the crew was outstanding. I can't say enough good things about this day trip. We loved it & highly recommend it!!!

If I had to choose one area for "Needs Improvement" it would be the food. The food was good but I wouldn't say we had anything that moved into the top five meals of my life. If they want to come to TX, my husband will teach them how to cook a steak the right way. :-) Also, for lunch there aren't many options. If they would open the Blue Water Grill to be a little grill/cafe for lunch with fish tacos, club sandwiches, maybe a chicken Caesar salad, etc....it would definitely raise Sunscape into the five star category.

We never ONCE experienced a disgruntled employee or had bad service while we were at Sunscape. We ordered from room service a couple of times & got the same young man to deliver to us. He was wonderful & asked how our vacation was, etc. I wish I knew his name!! The wait staff, bartenders, hostesses, and management were all very eager to accommodate. We did not want for anything during our stay. Emerson at the concierge desk was incredibly helpful. He would always stop to say hi if he saw us walking around the resort. He was wonderful!

Here's my tip......TIP!!!! I was absolutely astounded at how many people didn't tip. I worked as a waitress & bartender all through college. I lived off the tips I made. To me, it shouldn't matter whether or not the resort is "All Inclusive". If you are waited on by a server at dinner, you should tip. If a bartender is making you drinks all day, you should tip!!! That's how they make a living!!! We tipped $5-$10 per "meal", $5-10 per day to the beach butler, & constantly carried around singles for the bartenders. We tipped less overall in a week than you would give for a 15% tip in two days at a normal resort; so we still came out way ahead!!! Our drinks were almost always refilled before they were empty & we never even had to ask Gerald or Norma to refill them...they just did it! We started off the week by leaving $20 & a little note for the house keeping ladies asking for extra beer & water bottles. We were stocked full of both every single day.

There's no reason not to have a good time at Sunscape. You're on vacation!! Slow down, relax, & let Gerald or Norma pour you another drink! :-)

Room Tip: Check with Kurt Klaber about upgrading to an ocean front room. When they say ocean front, they real...
11 Thank Marsha S
Lebanon, Kentucky
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Yes I read all the reviews AFTER booking our vacation. I was so worried about what we would get once we got there. We, there were 3 couples vacationing together, loved the whole Sunscape experience. The facility was clean, manicured, and tropically landscaped. If you can't find some fun activity here you are crazy. We had choices each day as to what we wanted to do. Pool aerobics, dance classes, bingo, challenge games ,bikes, rock climbing wall, beach party, snorkel or scuba, water activities and on and on. The pool and hot tub were wonderful and the ocean was awesome, rocky yes, but warm and inviting. We pulled chairs up to the edge and baksed in the sun, this was so relaxing and refreshing. Drinks were good - service was great at the bars. The restaurants rotate each night as to what is open. The Japanese was fantastic at the hibachi grill - this is a don't miss in my opinion! I get it if you are worried about some of the reviews but believe me it was a wonderful trip and yes they are still remodeling and upgrading. I see this place as a 4 - 5 star once they get fully updated

Room Tip: Our room - Flamingo section - Ocean view was amazing! Open the doors wide open sit up in bed and wa...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
10 Thank Mary B
Dear Mary,

Thank you for choosing our resort for your recent stay. We have read your comments about the hotel and we greatly appreciate that you took the time to write them, as our guests' satisfaction is our main priority.
It was a pleasure to have you as our guest. We would like to take the opportunity to thank you for your collaboration and we hope to see you again soon at Sunscape Curacao.

Yours sincerely,

Management
Gainesville, Georgia
Reviewed October 15, 2013

My husband and I (like many other reviewers on here) were nervous about the negative reviews we read about this place. I was hoping I hadn't spent our hard-earned vacation money on a place we were going to be dissatisfied with. BUT WOW......we were in for a treat!

We arrived on a Wednesday afternoon with a bus full of other vacationers. The resort representative met us outside the airport after we received our luggage from the belt. We still had to wait on the others to get their luggage. After, they walked us to our bus and even gave us a miniature bottle of ice cold water which was much needed and appreciated after a long day of travel.

The bus driver was super nice, easy to understand and told us a lot about the island and culture. I highly recommend using their shuttle service (it is included in your stay until 10/31/13).

When we got to the resort, they unloaded all of our bags, and even though we were not the first to the counter to check in, the process took less than 30 minutes. Like I said, we arrived with a BUS FULL of people (16 or more). I was shocked it didn't take longer. While waiting to be checked in, we were approached by the manager, Michael, who was one of the nicest people we met while we were there. He asked where we were from and wished us a great vacation. My husband started chatting with him about baseball (we are Braves fans and a few of their players are from Curacao)...they talked for a good while...like they were best friends. Needless to say, we were appreciative of his kindness toward us and enjoyed his company so much that the time to check in really flew by. Since it was our anniversary trip, Michael gave us a complimentary upgrade to the preferred club with an ocean view room on the 3rd floor. We were shocked.....we were being treated like royalty and felt so grateful for him doing that!

The view from our room was breathtaking (Room 8321). I recommend getting a room on the 3rd floor (no elevators though...no problem for us, but could be for some). The preferred club beach area is so much nicer than the regular beach--much less coral, nicer chairs and a beach butler coming around to take drink orders regularly. I think upgrading is worth it for the beach alone. It is also much quieter over there. Got fresh towels daily, mini bar was restocked daily. Ladies....they do not supply you with hair conditioner...bring your own! Yes, the bed was a little hard, but I slept well. We also got the complimentary anniversary package. Bottle of champagne and fresh fruit, breakfast in bed with mimosas, and a turn down service (they never did our turn down service but we didn't mind).

I have very sensitive feet and the coral is rough. I brought water shoes and was fine. However, we found that if you keep an eye out, there are certain areas of the beach that have less coral. You can walk in at those areas and if you go out about 10-15 feet, it is smooth sand. If you can just get past the shoreline. It really is rough and my feet got cut and scraped a little when I didn't wear the water shoes. This isn't the fault of the resort...just part of being on Curacao. If you don't want to buy water shoes, bring an old pair of flip flops to wear in the water (or a $3.50 Old Navy pair). They should work. I do understand how other travelers were upset about the rockiness of the beach, but you can not blame the resort for this.

At the main pool, there is a nice swim up bar (that connects to the main pool bar), an infinity pool, and lots of activities going on all around you. We preferred this pool over the preferred club pool because the bar is closer and we enjoyed interacting with others. They played a lot of Latin dance music which we loved even though we never heard most of it. At night they have lots of activities going on (like Battle of the Sexes--which we both participated in), a guitar player, sax player, singers, dancers. The list goes on. It was awesome. I would also like to mention that one of the entertainment team members, Roeshon (hope I spelled that right), was incredible. He was so much fun to be around, always spoke to us, even sat down with us (on 2 different occasions) and chatted with us about all sorts of things. He made us feel really special, like Michael, and treated us like we'd be friends for years. In fact, the ENTIRE STAFF was friendly, outgoing, and there to make you happy. Speak to them, smile, ask them how they are, and you will receive only the best service! Remember the Golden Rule---treat others how you would like to be treated. The entire time we were there, we did not have one bad experience with the staff being rude or unfriendly. They became our family for 6 days. Most speak 4 languages (Papiamentu- their native language, Dutch, Spanish, and English)---so impressive.

The food was awesome. Enough said. We liked the seafood (Oceana) so much, we ate there 3 of 5 nights. The other two nights we had Italian and Japanese. Both equally as good. We never tried the steakhouse...we thought it was open one night and planned to go, but it wasn't, so we went to Italian instead. The grill food was good and open late for snacks if you need. We got hamburgers and chicken nuggets. I wasn't going to try the grilled chicken.....I was concerned about it sitting out, but I am a little OCD when it comes to germs and stuff like that, but the nuggets were frozen and good. The buffet had a really good selection for breakfast and lunch (never ate there for dinner). In fact, the lunch was awesome. Barbequed meat, vegetables, all kinds of things to satisfy many cultures. The breakfast link sausage wasn't like American sausage, but the sausage patties were (they were great). A lot of reviews said they had to wait a long time to be seated. Maybe it wasn't busy while we were there, but the longest we waited was like 20 mins. We just sat and had a drink. No problem. The ONLY (and I repeat ONLY) issue I had with the food and beverage portion of the trip is that the main pool bar smelled a little funky. It didn't smell fresh or clean, and I didn't like that, but it wasn't enough to ruin my vacation.

I wish we were certified divers....this would have been the perfect trip for it. The snorkeling was amazing. We used their equipment. Again, I'm a little germ conscious, so I cleaned the equipment thoroughly in the ocean water before I used it. They did pull it out of some type of germicidal tub, but I'm weird about stuff like that. My husband wasn't bothered by it....he's normal. Saw many others kayaking and windsurfing. Looked like fun, we would have tried it if we were there longer.

I could go on FOR DAYS about the wonderful service we received, the good food, the entertainment, the pools, the bars, everything. We tipped, but I really don't think we received better service because we tipped. They appreciated it, but the service was there REGARDLESS. I was so impressed by this resort....I can't believe it's only 3.5 stars. We definitely plan to go back.

Room Tip: Just go for it and upgrade to the preferred club (Building 8, Flamingo). There isn't a bad room...
16 Thank Pamela H
Phoenixville
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Yeah, I read the reviews, and my gut was right- the people who complained are just weak cry babies, indeed the very people who are what's wrong with and making this nation weak. If you don't want to be worldly and really experience something different and real, I don't know what to tell you, maybe go to Disney, or just keep your immature, no sense of adventure, provincial, boring cry baby self at home. A hint to the not so worldly: learn a few basic words in the language of the country you are visiting ( real travelers please forgive) and you'll be amazed at how your life will open up, and how much more fun your trip will be. Leave your wallmart, suburban American ways behind and open your mind. This resort was awesome! If you go to sunscape curacao and don't have the time of your life, it's on you. Service was incredible. The food was awesome. You're in the Caribbean, of course you're not going to get your grandmothers sauce!!! Or the sauce from your favorite local Italian restaurant! Hello, you're in the Caribbean! All the restaurants were phenomenal - never had anything that wasnt totally fresh or perfectly cooked, plus the feel of outdoor dining in the Caribbean! The food at every restaurant was fresh, perfectly cooked, and delicious. Went a little overboard with the breakfast buffet.....mmmm! We were there for my fiance's birthday, and Emmerson, the worlds greatest concierge, went nuts! Too much to list. Thanks again Emmerson, you are the best. Zeric, Norma ( hi baby love, need my vitamin b!) Avinash, our beach girls from Columbia and Dominican- it was a pleasure! I know I'm leaving some out, the entire staff was stellar. I loved when we first got there, everybody said, "welcome home" it really felt that way. The grounds were beautiful, and the lagoon (rocky beaches? Seriously?) was so perfect for swimming and snorkeling. Maybe a few other beer choices besides Amstel would be nice, but this is an all inclusive, remember, they need to make a profit to survive. All in all it was a heart touching vacation, with incredible service, fantastic food, great room (stay in the preferred club), breathtaking views, and tons of fun.

Room Tip: Stay in the preferred club
20 Thank Randal M
Chicago
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Wow is all I can say about this place. I will start by saying I am happy on any vacation where I can relax and have good service. There was none of that going on at this resort. To get into the ocean, we had to walk through about six feet of rocky coral both in the sand and in the water. It was fine if you had water shoes. The staff, with the exception of the entertainment group, was indifferent about serving anyone. They honestly did not care that you were there or asked for something (tip or not). The king sized bed was hard as a rock. The room was clean, but very small. The bathroom door actually hit the toilet when openning it. One washcloth? Really? None replaced when the room was cleaned. The liquor seemed to be 'replaced' or watered down. It took a lot to catch a buzz! It took a really long time to get service in one of restaurants. The food in the restaurants was fine, but the buffet food was bland, bordering on terrible. The food handling procedures were horrible!! They would leave mayo out always, never refrigerated. Milk was room temperature. I watched the cooks bring out boxes of food from the main kitchen, unpack it, then throw raw hamburger patties on the grill, then continue working! No handwashing! Actually saw a cook carry a bag of chicken blood over baskets of cooked food then service!! To replace your silverware, they grabbed leftover forks from other tables. I was horrified at their processes.

Room Tip: Do not choose a room at this resort!!
4 Thank beanar
Saint Louis, Missouri, USA
Reviewed October 11, 2013

I read a lot of reviews before we left on our vacation. I can say that for sure the negative reviews made me very nervous on going to this resort. My experience was the farthest thing from the negative reviews. I read one that can sum a lot of things up. It said if you have an attitude your going to get that same attitude back!

From the moment of being picked up at the airport to check in and the complete stay there was nothing but relaxing and very nice! The staff that we encountered was nothing but extremly friendly, gracious and wanted nothing more for us to have an incredible stay there. There are several people I would like to regonize for there gracious hospitality, NORMA, Norma, Norma is one of the sweetest people you will ever meet, even when people are being rude to her she will be nothing but sweet. She is a ray of sunshine at that resort! Danielle in the prefered club, always asking if we needed anything and was always pleasant. Vihalys (I know I'm spelling incorrect) the conciere always smiling and wanted to know what she could do to help us. Roshan in the entertainment staff so funny and engaging with all of the guest. Iona (spelling??) was one of the cooks at the lunch grill and she works so hard and quick. Gerald at the swimming area bar early on in our stay remembered our drinks and was ready for us everytime we went there to get our drinks. Renee as well. I know I'm missing a few others, but there are so many to keep writing about.

Our room was fine and always cleaned with turn down service at night. Fresh towels daily and even pool towels were left for us. (prefered club perk) Room never smelt and ac worked very well.

The dinning options is my only complaint and its really not even that. I just think there should be more lunch options other than buffet and the two grills at the bar. Oceana and the Italian rest are good. The Japanese is worth the wait. Make reservations the day before. One small issue was at dinner on our last night we were asked to change our shoes as dinner at Oceana required men not to wear flip flops, not problem with this, but earlier in the week we weren't asked to change or the 6 other men we saw come in with flip flops after us were asked to change. My only suggestion is if your going to enfore something make sure it's done accross the board.

I can't say enough nice things about the place and the staff our stay at Sunscape was extremly nice and relaxing. We have stayed at three other of the AMResorts and have had the same experience. Can't wait to go back!

Some small tips, we brought our own cups with lids, very helpful and prevented us running to the bar often. if you have tender feet I HIGHLY recomending water shoes as the beach has a lot of broken coral, sea shells, rocks and beach glass. Bug spray if bugs like you, my partner wasn't bothered were I was.

Room Tip: if you can upgrade to the prefered club, buidling 7 or 8 are the best views of the ocean.
7 Thank Christopher3120
Also consider these accommodations in or near Willemstad
Van der Valk Kontiki Beach Resort
Lions Dive & Beach Resort Curacao
Scuba Lodge & Suites
Scuba Lodge & Suites
#2 of 32 in Willemstad
Floris Suite Hotel - Spa & Beach Club
Renaissance Curacao Resort & Casino
Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao

Been to Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino? Share your experiences!