“An Economical, Friendly & Beautiful Resort”

Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Willemstad
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We stayed for 5 nights in August. 7 members in our party aged 4 to 80. We'd called the resort before travel to be sure they had our names on the airport transport list. Transport from the airport was quick and friendly; they gave us cold water bottles which were most welcome. We'd paid for garden view rooms and requested all renovated rooms, two rooms on first floor (due to age & pregnancy) and one room nearby but not necessarily on first floor. At check- in we asked where the rooms were and found two were on the ground floor but the third room was on the other side of the resort. Chris was very patient and kind in switching things around to get us what we'd requested. In the end we had three rooms in Pelican building, two on ground floor just outside kiddie pool and one just above. All had lovely large balconies or patios. This location was perfect for us--kids pools right there so we could sit outside our room and supervisr, Oceania grill with fresh food right there, sandy beach a few steps away, plus a lovely view. There were rarely any other children in the pool so it felt very private. Rooms were nice...spacious, clean and the a/c worked well. Shower was large and we had plenty of hot water. We never opened the fridge, so can't say if it was stocked. Rooms was cleaned and towels replaced as needed. Our telephones worked fine. Don't know about the TV as we didn't use it. Even though the restaurant was right outside our rooms, it was not a noise problem in the evening.
We had taken water shoes which enabled us to explore the jettys more than we could have without them. Water was lovely, clear, and full of fish. We'd brought snorkel gear and used it every day--truly outstanding just being able to swim out and along the rock wall and enjoy the fish. Our kids used the kayak and rock-climbing walls; we saw other folks using the wind surfer. We did take the free shuttle in Willimsted one day (be sure to reserve the day before). We did pool aerobics twice and saw one of the evening shows. I believe the show was put on by a local dance studio--we enjoyed their energy and creativity.

Our grandkids did not use the Explorers Club except to participate in a pool party one afternoon, but we frequently saw the staff out and about with the children; the kids seemed to be having a good time and the staff seemed to take their care of the children very seriously. Our grandkids did enjoy the shuffle board and chess board.

We tried all the food venues. The coffee and capaccinos were outstanding at the buffet and the coffee shop. I loved that the coffee shop was open early until late so you could always get a quick snack and coffee. The day of arrival we had cheesecake from the coffee shop that was the best we'd every had! We ate at each restaurant. Food at the buffet was good (not outstanding, but good to v good. Oceana dinner was delightful (Sasha had our table and did a great job). The Italian restaurant had exceptionally slow service and our least favorite food (but we come from an area with a lot of good Italian food, so that was probably to be expected). .At Blue Water Grill the fish was very good but all of our steaks (though tasty, well-seasoned and cooked to order, were really, really tough. I suspect they were not sliced properly (you need to cut against the grain with some cuts of meat). All in all the food at Sunscape was better than the food at the two all inclusives we stayed at in Jamaica). Be sure to have long pants if you are a man and not to wear flip flops. We generally got lunch at the grill at Oceana; Iona does a really nice job with the fish and chicken. We didn't have an liquor so I can't speak about the quality of the alcohol served.

The staff were very pleasant, kind and patient, expecially the wait staff at the buffet with our grandkids. I think usually if you are pleasant to folks they will be pleasant in return. If I were to return to Curacao (which I probably wouldn't because there are no direct flights from where we are), I would definitely stay here again and would recommend it for other families.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
13  Thank newarkdelawaregin
There are newer reviews for Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino

Reviewed September 11, 2013

I was excited to take my first trip for the North Sea Curacao Jazz Festival. My flight down was uneventful and hotel had person waiting to transport me upon arrival. The line at the front desk was not long but it seemed like everyone had issues checking in or getting good customer service. You could fell that the front desk staff did not want to be there. After checking in and shown my room, I was less than impressed with the thin mattresses on the bed and the humidity in the room. It was actually warmer in my room than it was outside the room and a/c was turned all the way down. I did not have time to deal with that, I got ready for the concerts and left. Upon my return at 2 am, I needed internet access to check in with my business that I had left while I was on vacation. At this time, I was told I could only get internet in the lobby and it would cost me $40 a week and I would have to wait until the next day when the gift shop opened at 8 am to get a passcode. The night manager that night did all she could and was very cordial and friendly. Finally, a good experience. She worked with me but it was still not enough, I was making a Plan B on returning to the States the next day if I could not get internet access. Needless to say that the gift shop did not open the next day until late, 9 am. One crisis was bought from a 12 to a 1. Saturday, when I was out of the room, I decided to just turn off my air and see if it had froze up which i think it had over time. The maintenance man could not find any issues earlier when he looked at it. It is a shame as a paying customer that I had to do my own troubleshooting. It worked. Later that night I finally could feel a cooler breeze coming out of the unit. The buffet was standard quality but one night I decided to make reservations to the Japanese restaurant. My reservations were at 9:30pm. I got there at 9:20pm and they asked me to return in 20 minutes so the table would be clear and they could seat me. After returning at 9:45pm, table still was not ready and I stood at the host stand for another 15 minutes before I had to walk into the restaurant and ask the waitress what was going on. She kept saying soon with no apologies for no one at host stand or for being behind schedule. Finally at 10:15pm I was seated. Upon seating, I informed the waitress that I was diabetic and took insulin before I came back and I could feel my sugars dropping. I told her i was having a little bit of medical concern and I needed a glass of orange juice ASAP. She then told me not to go to sleep or pass out and then it took me about 9 more minutes to get a glass of juice. WOW!!!!! Never again. The noodles off the grill tasted like they were cooked with burnt oil and the quality was not worth it.

I have learned my lesson. You get what you pay for. This resort could really use a refresher course on customer service and what it means to a traveling professional. Next time I will pay the money for Hilton or whoever else.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank singleleo17
Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

This past August I was with my family experiencing the new changes in the Sunscape Curacao. We were a little worry because when booking noticed that had become an all inclusive, but after our stay I can say it's another one!

We arrived at 1:15 pm and were greeted with a nice smile, champagne welcome cocktails and cold washcloths, WOW!!! That was an elegant and nice touch for the hot weather of the moment. Check in was agile and accurate, the young guy explained that our room would be ready after 3:00 pm ( as normal in other resorts), and invited us to enjoy the hotel, so we decided to walk around. Soon we were surprised to find that they have a kids club called Explorers Club and one for teens called Core Zone, that was fantastic, as parents like us can enjoy the hotel without having to care for our children full day. I assure you that my 5 year old son loved the Explorers Club.

We stayed in the Preferred Club and we loved it. The upgraded rooms have a touch of elegance and distinction. I mean, you really need to prove it... The food is the best; we really liked the restaurants Oeana, Da Mario and the World Cafe buffet. Mr. Anibal from restaurants service was very friendly, helpful and gave us excellent service. He was always available to meet our needs. Please don’t forget to ask for Chin Pin, he is a fantastic bartender! The cocktails were just what we asked for. And of course the entertainmente were amazing... Something important to note is that the people of this hotel reflect good vibes and friendliness, plus the climate of the island, make it a good place to vacation.

Our experience was wonderful. This hotel definitely showed us that the all inclusive package is very good and not necessarily low quality product. We hope to return soon!

• Stayed: August 2013
6  Thank SveltiMadeline
Awendel K, Assistant to the General Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

Dear Madeline,

My name is Awendel Kwidama, Assistant to the General Manager.
We recently read your comments and thank you for your feedback. We are glad to see that you remark our hotel, the Explorer Club, Core Zone, the rooms and restaurant. We were also very pleased to read your comments about the friendliness of the staff in the restaurants, especially Mr. Anibal of the F&B department, Ching Pin the bartender and the entertainment team. Certainly we will pass this on to them.

Thank you for your wonderful review. We are so happy you found us to be above average and recommendation worthy.
We look forward to serving you again in the near future!

Yours Sincerely,

Management
Sunscape Curacao Resort, Spa & Casino

Reviewed September 10, 2013

I would not at all recommend this resort. My husband and I have not yet arrived at the resort (we will within the month), but for the past few months, we have had to deal with so many issues and unaccommodating guest relations at Sunscapes Curacao (specifically Luis Nunez, Director of Sales) that I would never recommend this resort to any family, friend, or stranger. We had booked this package at a particular rate as given to us as a gift through RCI points but had to book the all-inclusive fees separately. At first we were not given the rate we originally booked at, but after weeks of going back and forth with Hilton, UVC, and the resort, the originally rate was going to be honored but not an additional 5% discount that we were supposed to get as well. Once I paid the fees in full, I was actually given the discount but have since been hassled by UVC for me to pay this extra amount which the resort decided to not honor anymore. I reached out directly to the resort, and my emails were ignored and not answered for weeks. I had to look online and find the GM in order to get a response- the email was forwarded to Luis. At first he seemed alright but was already not taking responsibility for having control of the fees. After going back and forth with the resort and UVC (who I needed to book the fees to), they again relayed that the resort did not honor this additional discount I originally was entitled to. Luis then responded and said that I was getting a good rate (though I think he ignores the fact that points were used to reserve the hotel itself) and they could not give me this discount. The amount is only $49 but I have been given so much false information from both UVC and Sunscapes and have expressed my dissatisfaction with the way the situation has been handled this whole time. I have to wonder, why is it so important that they cannot waive this discount which I originally was supposed to get unless they are starving for money? If they cannot honor the original price I booked the resort at, I am very hesitant to see what the resort is like for a week. I feel that their lack of decent customer satisfaction and unwillingness to work with future guests shows their true colors. I have never had to deal with such bad guest relations in my life before I have even arrived at a resort and am disappointed that Luis Nunez is the Director of Sales at the resort and yet tries to take responsibility off of himself and is unwilling to help in this situation.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MN84
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I have been in 4 all inclusive resorts in my life (Dominican Republic, Panama, etc), and the Sunscape in Curacao is in the bottom of my list.
To start, the check in was a disaster, we arrived tired for the trip at noon (12pm) and were told to eat and to check around until the rooms were ready.. I was able to go to my room at 4pm!!!
The food was very average and poor (I tried 2 restaurants) always the same "flavors" and very similar food.. the drinks were ok.. obviously the use the cheapest licour to prepare them.. the staff service was very poor. I dont know if it is somenthing similar with al the natives of the island but in general everyone is too SLOW!! If you ask for something they react in a slow cam movement..
the Hotel itself is very old and small to be a "resort".
I didnt like it and would not come back or recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for the new area.. they have old and new rooms..
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank gabyalvarez
Reviewed September 9, 2013

30y/o male with wife/no kids on get-away vacation
I have traveled to the Caribbean on numerous occasions and always check trip advisor for reviews/tips on what to expect with each resort. I was a little concerned by all the poor reviews, but was VERY satisfied by my stay in early September. Here is the breakdown on what my wife and I experienced:

CUSTOMER SERVICE/STAFF INTERACTION
I was very impressed with the kindness and attitude of the staff. Every staff member we encountered was excellent and my wife and I were very bothered why so many people bashed the staff as being rude and/or uncaring. From the lobby staff to housekeeping/groundskeepers and of course food servers/bartenders, my wife and I were always greeted with a smile and "its a pleasure" response after being served. If you go on vacation here and the staff seems rude to you, odds are you are in fact a dick and need to check yourself. Try smiling when you ask for something and maybe throw in a "how are you" before you demand something and you will be surprised how much more positively people will respond to your requests. LOVED THE STAFF!!
Shout-out to IONA and HAIDAI at the Oceana and Bluewater grills.

BEACH/POOLS
Most phenomenal ocean color I have ever seen and free snorkeling 50 yards from shore along the rocky reef with huge amounts of colorful fish and sealife (no sharks). The beach is a little rocky to enter so if you have sensitive feet bring water shoes or flip flops to get in, its really not that bad unless you have terrible balance and think a pebble feels like a knife. Snorkel gear is available at the towel hut 9am-3pm first come first serve and you can use it for an hour at a time to accommodate all the guests. The preferred area (building 8) includes a beach butler to get you drinks and also came around with refreshing snacks on Saturday (watermelon/ ice cream/drink of the day) It was awesome. The beach is the best part of this resort.
The pools are in good shape, Not nearly the nasty mold pictures I have seen in previous reviews. We witnessed the staff cleaning the pools thoroughly so they DO maintain the facility.

ROOM
We stayed in the renovated Flamingo building (building 8) in the preferred area (upgraded free because we requested a renovated room). The room was pretty standard, nothing super fancy. Typical firm Caribbean mattress, balcony, minifridge stocked DAILY with 2 Amstel beers/coke/sprite/OJ and 2 waters. No visible mold or giant cracks in walls as ive read about in other less fortunate reviews. Again, a basic, no frills room. We asked for a blanket on day1 and it was there that night. The AC was working very well, room could be kept pretty cool at night. Don't leave food out on countertop otherwise little Caribbean bugs will find it. This is typical for ANY Caribbean island/resort. Very comfortable overall.

FOOD/DRINKS
Food was average compared to other resorts we have been to. Main buffet was basic and we only ate there for breakfast and lunch. Dinners we ate at the restaurants which were very good. One emphasized steaks (descent), one seafood (excellent), one Italian (excellent) and one Japanese (very good). This is not 5 star food, don't expect filet/lobster, but you can expect grouper/red snapper/delicious shrimp, tenderloins/etc. Make reservations for Japanese at the lobby, and 1 restaurant is closed generally each day for deep cleaning, but this is listed in your daily info sheet or the lobby can tell you each day.
*** Check dress code for restaurants other than main buffet!!! Long pants/no flipflops for men. No shorts for ladies. Check more details on the resort webpage

Drinks are a little weak on the liquor pours, so ask for a double pour. They are happy to oblige. Botttled liquors are Jack, Crown, Jim Beam, Dewars, Stoli that I remember and TONS of flavored liquours. The beer is Amstel and is descent beer to drink in the hot sun.
***My greatest suggestion is to bring a large mug/thermos/bubba keg so you wont complain about the 8 ounce plastic cups they use for the beach and pools. *****

NIGHTLIFE
There is a casino and nightly shows, but they are not as engaging as some other resorts we have been to. Dance contests/ battle of sexes/karaoke/etc to try and include the guests. Descent overall but would be much more fun if traveling with a larger group of people as opposed to just a couple.

RANDOM SUGGESTIONS
Free shuttle offered to downtown Willemsted 15min away: worth a walk around for some photospots and local shopping/souvenirs.

Seaquarium down the road (15min walk) has sealion/dolphin/stingray/shark feedings. 21 US$/person. They follow a set schedule however so if you want to see everything it will take several hours. You cant just walk around as you want from sea lion to shark to dolphin, etc.

Take advantage of the free snorkeling even if you are not a sea lover. My wife is usually scared of minnows and she LOVED it! It is very safe. If you are a little more adventurous you can go on the other side of the reef for deeper (>30ft) water and more coral/formations.

Romantic Dinners that they offer are a bit pricey just to have a separate table within 100ft of the other restaurants. You do get lobster there, but youre paying for it. Use as needed to score romance points with your travel companion...

Overall we had a great trip, I am pretty low maintenance but enjoy nice things. This resort has a good balance of both for a great price. Don't expect Sandals quality and you wont be disappointed.

Room Tip: Request Building 8 (Pelican building): it is fully renovated
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
15  Thank Jet T
Reviewed September 9, 2013

If you are looking for great food, a great beach and snorkeling right at the resort, then you will love it here! We stayed in the older Tower building. The rooms are older, but clean. If you want to, you can upgrade to the newer buildings for more money. We were content to stay in the older building, as we were there to be outside anyways.

Curacao has a water purification system throughout the island, so you can safely eat the salad at the bar. The restaurants have a good system- you get a flashing coaster to let you know when your table is ready. They don't use the "wake up early the day before to secure a spot at one of the restaurants". You need to get there right at the start of dinner service to get on the list, unless you don't mind eating late (after 9pm). We ate at the Grill and the Italian restaurant- both were good. We really loved the traditional Dutch Caribbean food at the buffet. It was honestly the best food I have ever had at a resort buffet. I loved the Curacao National dish-Chicken Stuffed Cheese- so tasty!

The top shelf alcohol is plentiful, and the bartenders are willing to go out of their way to find what you want. Don't forget to drink fancy drinks with Blue Curacao- you are in Curacao after all! The red wine is surprisingly really good for "house wine". It must be because Curacao is so close to South America.

There is fabulous snorkeling right on the resort. There are so many fish, and the water is so clear; so relaxing. It felt like paradise. We brought our own equipment, as I find it is more enjoyable if everything fits correctly, but they do have snorkeling equipment you can borrow at the beach.

There is a free bus that takes you into town daily. You will need to wake up early the day before to book a spot for this though. We didn't have any problem securing the time we wanted. I highly recommend the tour if you are interested in learning about Willemstad history. Since the tour doesn't stop for long in downtown Willemstad you can go back on your own once you have your bearings.

WiFi is not cheap at the hotel. There are many places with free WiFi in Willemstad (Starbucks - no code needed, and the restaurants along the canal will give you a code if you buy something).

My last tip- vanilla extract and coffee (from the DR) are expensive at tourist shops. If you want to stock up on some cheaply, walk to the grocery store down the street, or buy some at the grocery store in Willemstad.

Room Tip: The rooms in the tower facing the resort are surprisingly quiet.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Travels_by_Day_1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Willemstad
Lions Dive & Beach Resort Curacao
Hilton Curacao
Hilton Curacao
#17 of 32 in Willemstad
Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao

Been to Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino? Share your experiences!