“Tired Remodel” 3 of 5 bubbles

Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino
Ranked #9 of 33 Hotels in Willemstad
“Tired Remodel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

I was in Curacao at this resort last October for one week; they were remodeling and not everything was completed at that time. Food choices were adequate, but most of the food was just run of the mill. Service was okay and a little slow sometimes. I hope, since the remodeling should now be complete, that it is better. For families, I am sure the "all inclusive" is a big draw. For me, not so much.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Ellen K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,303)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Ostend, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at breezes a couple of times and now booked at sunscape and I have to say what an improvement. Upon entering the lobby now you allready have a feeling of a fashionable resort. The rooms are light and airy, the color schemes are great! The world market buffet restaurant is a lot better than it Used to be the lay out is better and the food is allright, but it's especially the a la carte restaurants that make the diference, great food in romantic settings... And staff is soooooo Nice wether it's the reception staff, the wonderfull conciërge, the ladies at the Spa, the girls and boys serving at the restaurant everybody is so friendly and kind. I Will go back that is a fact

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Gwendo007
Trinidad
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed for 4 nights in August. We were a little apprehensive after reading some reviews, but we already paid for the vacation since May 2013 so we went with an open mind. We stayed in the Flamingo wing. We had a great time!!! The service was fantastic, the staff really pleasant and friendly. The food at the Italian, Seafood and Japanese restaurants were great! The World Café (buffet) food was good on some days and other days left a lot to be desired.

The rooms were clean but the bathroom needs updating, the surroundings were well kept and the pools and beach were lovely. I slept really comfortably from the very first night! My son enjoyed going to the kids club - he would actually ask to go!! My only regret was that I should of stayed longer!!!!

I really don't understand why they got bad reviews since I can honestly say that we had an enjoyable experience!

I would love to return! Unfortunately, if Surinam Airways continues to be the carrier from Trinidad I never will visit again since they are most deceptive and wicked!!!! If you want to get your vacation ruined with their delays and placed in a dump of a hotel due to their inconvenience, take Surinam Airways! Believe me when I say you have no recourse since the person who deals with these issues, Mr. Jerome Khan is a despicable human being and very arrogant and ignorant! You have been warned! Look at my review for the Plaza Hotel Curacao and you will see my pictures.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Awendel K, Assistant to the General Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

My name is Awendel Kwidama, Assistant to the General Manager.
We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for the feedback!
We have read your comments about the hotel, friendly staff and we greatly appreciate that you took the time to write them as our guest satisfaction is our main priority.
It was a pleasure to have you as a guest.

Thank you for choosing us and we hope to see you again soon.

Yours sincerely,

Management
Sunscape Curacao Resort, Spa & Casino
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

This was our first time at a large, all-inclusive like this so perhaps our expectations were off... Overall, we acclimated to the setup and amenities and had a VERY relaxing vacation doing nothing but enjoying food, drink, and sport at the beach. Which was our end goal. One of our favorite things was the lack of Americans which made it seem more remote/unique. However, there were a few things that were annoying:

1) PANTS REQUIRED!?!? All the restaurants require men to wear pants and they call it "Casual Elegance" which is a joke. This is not a fancy place and people are here to relax. As long as they aren't wearing trunks and a tank top - please let me eat!

2) BASIC ROOMS. The rooms were basically a mid-90's Best Western. But, we didn't spend much time there at all so it wasn't that big of a deal.

3) SERVICE IS HIT OR MISS - some of the staff is super friendly and accommodating, others act like you are inconveniencing them to pour a beer. This might be a cultural thing that I just missed.

4) AMENITIES CLOSE @ 6PM! A lot of the restaurants, bars, and activities "close down" at 6pm which is one of the nicest and most mild times to enjoy a drink or a water sport. I really wanted to do a sunset kayak spin but it just wasn't allowed.

5) DONT BUY THE RESORT CREDIT! We were given the option to book a resort credits package for $200 more but ultimately declined. Then when we got there they offered it to us for free anyway - it is a load of crap. Just "discount coupons" for various services that equal a total of $200. You can only use certain amounts on certain things. Not a true cash credit.

Overall a great getaway for a great price. We would go back again but as more of a family vacation as opposed to a couples trip. Hope this helps!

Room Tip: Be sure to ask to be given a room AWAY from the kids pool if you request the 7000 building. Also, up...
4 Thank kplanovsky
Croton on Hudson, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

We took a week and a half at Sunscape in late August 2013. We are a family of four, with two teens. Mom wanted to sit on the beach, and Dad wanted to look at pretty fish (diving). This worked out well for us. We were picked up at the Airport, and taken across the island promptly. Check in was easy, and we were given adjoining rooms, as per our request. We had renovated rooms in the 7000 building and they were nice.

This was our first all inclusive...we normally go with a local rental, and get a car and adventure. I was afraid that we'd be "stuck" if it wasn't good...but not to fear. The staff is wonderful. They care, are helpful, and we had few issues. The only ones we had were language related, as this property caters to Dutch, German and a lot of South American tourists as well. I would usually be approached in Spanish (I'm brunette) and my wife, in Dutch (blond/blue eye). There was the occasional drink order mix up due to this, but that was the extent of it....the staff was great.

Security was excellent. No one tried to sell trinkets to us, or weed, or anything else. Curacao isn't crushingly poor like some other islands, so you can leave the property without becoming a target. This would be good for families-you can get off the reservation, and car rental for a day was a whopping $40.00, which we did one day.

The food was good. There is a buffet, which had some variety, for breakfast and lunch. Dinner is Buffet, or one of four restaurants. The food at all was good, keeping in mind that like any island, much is imported, and as Curacao is a desert island, not lush like PR or Jamaica, your local foods are limited-you can't graze cattle. The seafood place was excellent, the Grill OK (beef imported), the Hibachi excellent-the cooks put on a show. The Italian suffered from oddly horrible service, which was unlike the rest of the week with the staff....although when the food arrived it too was good. There is a grill open all day in addition to the above. I have a teen who eats every two hours, and he was always happy.

There are water sports, with some caveats. The area the resort has is framed by a jetty of rocks. The trade winds are constant, and taking out the sailboats would require a high level of ability, as not to end up in South/Central America. We didn't see anyone go out. Windsurfing and sea kayaking was easier. The beach is fine sand in places and rocky in others...Curacao has nice pocket beaches but not miles of fine sand. You will want water shoes. We sat many hours reading by the water. There are four bars open so you never have to go far, and the bar tenders were all good. I gave small tips, which may have helped, as few guests appeared to tip at all. The resort could buy a few dozen more snorkels...it was the only "no" we heard all week.

Beer: I saw this question asked, so as a beer geek paid attention. The beer on site is Amstel Lager, brewed in Holland, and not to be confused with the foul Amstel Lite sold in the States. It is a respectable euro lager @ 5%. Henieken owns Curacao...unlike other islands I've been to the variety of beer is nonexistent....Henieken, Amstel or rarely Polar (venezuela).... The beer variety shortage is all over the island-I spoke to a few locals and it is a point of annoyance to them- and trips to local supermarkets revealed few choices, unlike any other island I'd ever visited. For other beverages, the staff will mix you whatever you want, and the liquor on offer is very good. Resort bar service was fine.

Diving: Where to begin ? I'm certified but rusty. I took a refresher at Sunscape, along with my daughter who took the "intro to diving". Sunscape includes one tank a day for the certified. We dove in the morning, and the water was crystal clear. Unfortunately, this was the intro course only, and "tank a day" is at 2:30 pm, where the water is not nearly as clear due to turbulence. The instructor was good, and the folks at Ocean Encounters friendly. They have a 14 year old cutoff for the "intro" course, so I went across the street to The Dive Bus, who gave the course to my 13 yo son. I took it with him as well, and thought the Dive Bus operation much friendlier with better equipment. Mark and Susan were a great source of local information, so when we took our day trip, we also rented snorkels and fins from them, better equipment at a lower price than the on site dive shop, and unlike the snorkels at the resort, actually available. My son's lesson with Frank was all you could ask....if I go back to Curacao I'm just signing on with Dive Bus-cross the street and have a chat with them.

You don't need to go nuts to find good diving-the whole place is insane. We snorked at Grand Knip, at the Western tip of the island. We snorkeled at Saint Mare, further down island. Everywhere it is fantastic, but the best of all is right nearby. Go off the Sunscape property toward the "preferred" side. Go around the long beige wall (waist deep) and you are on a local beach-it is pretty small, but is safe and used by locals and school groups. There will be two jetties. Put on your mask and snorkel and just cruise around the two jetties. Morning is better for clarity. Dive Bus considers this the "house reef" and it is just wonderful, and nicer than the other side "Oslwaldo's reef" that the Ocean Encounters guys use. The dive with Dive Bus for my son's first time was the best dive of the trip. Saw Morays, spotted eel, lionfish (invasive-bad) Tang and a thousand others, in crystal clear water (am trip). Easy access and spectacular.

I suppose I could complain about a few things, but the whole place is very non-pretentious. If you want to go hang out and profile with the folks from Grosse Pointe, MI, Short Hills, NJ or Larchmont, NY this might not be the place, but if you want a truly international experience (I dove with folks from Trindad, Venezuela, Argentina, and Arkansas) and to be well taken care of, I'd go. The only folks who might find this bad are folks looking for new romance or spring breakers. Family trips, honeymooners and couples will have a good time.

Room Tip: Tuesday night is the dance party. It is a bit loud, so you may want to ask for a "Quiet Room&q...
Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
12 Thank Speedlaw
Joplin MO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

Sorry that it took me over a week to finally write this review, had to get straight back to work and right back into the stress levels that we had taken this vacation to get a break from and what an awesome vacation and break it was. We stayed from August 18 -23. (Purchased through Bookit.com). While celebrating our 31st. wedding anniversary, this turned out to be one of our best vacations to date. We have taken various destination vacations to all-inclusive resorts every year for the last 9 years mainly in the Caribbean’s and Mexico. To all of you that gave this resort bad reviews you must have been either way too picky that nothing would have made you happy or just naturally grumpy and negative because this resort was wonderful. I am so glad that we did not listen. We always go with an open mind to have fun, relax and not let anything stop that. From the very beginning to the end this was a delight. Our flight arrived very late on a Sunday night walked out of the Curacao airport to find a very nice gentleman and lady holding a sign that had the name of the resort on it and were expecting us. We got to the resort about 15 minutes later to be pleasantly greeted by the front desk at about 10:40 at night, our luggage placed on a cart by a very polite bellman whom practically stood at attention waiting to show us to our room while we were treated like queen and king and swept directly into the VIP concierge room greeted with snacks, beverages and told all about the resort, restaurants, excursions given maps and everything we needed, along with a coupon/ voucher book containing over $200. That could be used on various things at the resort, the spa, casino and such. We had arranged to be in the priority club through our booking and had requested an ocean front room closest to the beach with the best view as high as possible, and that is just what we got! We were in the flamingo building top floor end cap with a wraparound balcony. Wish that I could wake up to that view every day. The bellman’s name was Benson, after escorting us to our room and handling all of our luggage he showed us around the room which had waiting for us a chilled bottle of champagne and a fruit and cheese platter, he was very professional, polite and told us if we needed anything to let him know. He was fun to run across in the days to follow because he always had a high five for me in passing through the resort with a smile while asking if everything was alright. The housekeeping staff was wonderful our room was done squeaky clean every day, refrigerator restocked and when we would return to the room at night they had always slipped in and did turn down service with chocolates on the bed sides and flyer of events for the next day. We did not eat at any of the ala cart restaurants felt our time was too precious to be wasted in a line, not there for the food but for the beach, view from the room and bars. We ate breakfast and dinner every day at the buffet Verona Smith made every dinner so special, she was always so cheerful, professional and had the biggest smile, after our first visit she never had to ask us what we needed to drink again she remembered and would get them without even asking. We did pay to have the private sunset, ocean side dinner for two one evening and it was very romantic, we had the beef tenderloin filets, they were awesome, presentation very nice. The waiter Alvery was great and very attentive; the setting was so special with the candles and the rose pedal shaped heart around the table on the sand with my beautiful wife’s company and the spectacular sunset, something that I will never forget. We had our lunches every day except one at the ocean side café where Dennis cooked up some great food with a smile, his grilled chicken sandwiches are awesome and Rene at the bar kept our drinks coming while keeping us laughing. At the other small lunch café over by the pelican building Norma made me a nice drink that I will always remember she said it was called the planters sponge but she renamed it for me to “Baby Loves Drunk” after I had quite a few. At the main outside bar there was Ching Ping the bartender that took care of us the most, he had talked to us enough to know that once we had a drink then we were having that same all the rest of the day, so even when he saw us coming his direction he would start making them, even though there may have been others at the bar, never had to wait, felt very VIP. We did rent a car for a day and drove to some very beautiful beaches, we felt very safe just wondering around the Island, looking at a map and stopping every now and then to ask directions. We spent every other day relaxing on the beautiful beach, snorkeling right there (amazing) and soaking up the sun. The entertainment at night pool side was very nice, one night there was nowhere to sit and watch the show, Verona noticed us wandering around looking, she told us to go stand where we wanted to sit and she would be back, a few moments later she returned with two chairs for us then even went and got us full drinks. On our last night there we had made appointments at the Spa to get us both 50 minute deep tissue massages and I got the time wrong, thinking that it was at 8pm. But it was at 6:30pm so when we arrived at the Spa the door was locked and lights out. So after a trip to the room to confirm my mistake we walked over to the bar depressed (Ching Ping ready with our drinks) we really needed and wanted those massages, by this time it was about 8:45pm. And from standing at the bar I saw the Spa lights come on, so we rushed over and knocked on the window. Luck was with us because it just so happened that Joan the Manager of the Spa was also the resorts manager on duty that evening and had stopped back in to do some paperwork. Well she was awesome, after hearing our story she called and found Juanita one of her Spa employees to come back in and do both our massages. She did so well and it felt so good, the hot stones and towels make it very special, we are both still talking about how good we still feel a week later. We walked out of the Spa at about 11:00pm. When we shared our story with the front desk they said that was the latest they had ever seen anyone at the Spa. So too wrap this novel up we had a great time and felt like royalty at this resort and want everyone to know that part of what makes this place so special is the great staff. Thank you all for making this a wonderful vacation.

10 Thank VikingElad
Awendel K, Assistant to the General Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

My name is Awendel Kwidama, assistant to the General Manager.
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback and great experience at the Resort. We greatly appreciate your good comments as our guest satisfaction is our main priority.
The staff, in particular Brayenson, Verona, Elverly, Dennis and Norma are glad you gave them the opportunity to make your experience a memorable one.

Thank you for your fantastic review and we look forward to welcome you back in the very near future.

Yours Sincerely,

Management
Sunscape Curacao Resort, Spa & Casino
Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

Because once you stay at 4.5 star resorts such as Dreams in Cabo, RIU in Playa Del Carmen Mexico or Jamaica? It's hard to come down to this level.

Not saying it's a bad resort, because it's not, there are challenges that simply need to be addressed ASAP to bring this resort up to standards. Our stay was August 21 through August 26. I'll start with the pro's: Food and service was actually quite good in the Hibachi restaurant and the seafood restaurant(EXCELLENT fresh fried fish) and the steak restaurant. Ocean water was clear and crisp with lovely fish swimming near the rocks close to the shore which made for great snorkeling. Yes, the beach is rather small and there are rocks on the bottom of most parts, but my wife and I went barefoot for most of the trip and did just fine. Our room was in the Pelican building and it was bug free and for the most part, clean. Our room was almost soundproof which was great. Didnt hear a single guest or maintenance person as we slept. The thermostat was very, very old and only had two settings that worked: cold and off. It wouldn't seem to be a huge effort to examine the 1970's thermostats and upgrade for a few dollars. The small in room fridge was nice, and was good to open it to cold water, drinks, beers.

Con's: At peak time (say 3-5pm in the afternoons) it is not unheard of for the towel hut to run out of beach towels. This is unacceptable, and something I've not experienced in any of the many resorts I've visited. Why does it happen? Because this resort has not adopted a policy against guests "saving" pool/beach side chairs. As such, I noticed many guests putting towels on chair on prime locations, leave, then come back hours later to their "saved" lounge chair. I also noticed guests who would leave the beach or pool for the day and keep their beachtowels/take the towels to their room, then get up early the next morning to place those towels on the lounge chairs in the best beach locations. The guests would then go have breakfast and maybe come back later to their chairs towels. this resort needs to model other larger resorts and implement strict no lounge chair saving policys by putting up signs that clearly state any items left unattended for more than 2 hours, will be gathered and taken to lost and found. This practice will almost certainly reduce the "running out of towel" situations while making it fair for other guests

It is also not uncommon for the poolside bar to run out of cups during peak times. This is also unacceptable. Why does it happen? Because unlike other resorts, I did not notice staff consistently checking the pool and beach areas for unattended cups (some had been left in the sand or on tables next to clearly vacant seats for hours). At other resorts staff would come by and grab empty cups at least twice per hour, sometimes more often. Not so much at this resort. Running out of cups at your poolside bar at a resort in the heat of summer is unacceptable. It's the equivalent of your local bank branch consistently running out of cash when you visit to attempt a withdrawal.

Food: While the lunch and dinner meals were pretty good, the breakfast was quite limited in selection compared to other resorts. I wish I could post a pic of the huge station JUST for buns, biscuits, croissants, bagels, etc that I've experienced at RIU, not to mention the massive fruit selection and assorted other local fare that was available for breakfast. The made to order omelet was nice, but to only have 4 ingredients to choose from to have placed into the omelet, is a bit limited as well.

Activities staff: inconsistent. On one day the pool volleyball session was very fun, with the activities staff member in the pool, keeping score, participating, and keeping everyone pumped up. The next day, same time, same pool...nothing. A volleyball was tossed into the pool and guests sort of fended for themselves (amongst various languages). The beach volleyball (one of my favorite resort past times) was fairly non-existing because the beach volleyball course is stuck at that far end of the resort, waaay away from the pool/music/activity and stuck between two buildings. Guests rarely even venture down there for the game due to the location. The staff of this resort rarely had games or events that would engage ALL guests. There was a basic raffle one day which was somewhat entertaining, but Im used to resort pools/bar areas being full of fun and activity. Especially music. there really needs to be consistent party music at the pool during the afternoon evenings to get the party mood going and upbeat/uptempo. Consistently.

And this one was big to me: MUSIC. At certain times there would be a nice live DJ at the pool beside the bar. (I believe he was part of the activities team). His choice of music was actually pretty good. However, there are these small ground level speakers set up around the pool area and all around the grounds. Depending on where you are sitting, you hear music from those speakers competing against the live DJ. The same would occur at the steakhouse restaurant in the evenings. Music at the outdoor steakhouse would be nice, mellow, relaxing jazz..which would then compete with the live music coming from the live act at the pool at night. Not sure if much can be done about this (short of turning off the ground speakers when the live DJ is playing) but it's something I didn't experience at other resorts. If Im out on the beach relaxing, its quite annoying to have one music from the ground speakers and another from the live DJ.

Staff: Is is impossible to have Shermarlon(I think that's his name who checked us in) smile when he greets guests? He and the folks at the front desk are the FIRST representation of your resort. Guests who have just gotten off of hot shuttle buses and long flights appreciate a genuine smile and warm welcome. It also would not hurt to have cold drinks offered at the front desk. Doesn't have to be expensive champagne, heck, even an ice chest with soft drinks or bottled water would be a nice gesture to welcome guests.

Probably wont return..not that the place was that bad, simply put: there is better value available for much better experience in the Caribbean/Mexico.

Room Tip: Pelican building is a good building to stay in.
4 Thank RB954
Also consider these accommodations in or near Willemstad
Van der Valk Kontiki Beach Resort
Lions Dive & Beach Resort Curacao
Scuba Lodge & Suites
Scuba Lodge & Suites
#3 of 33 in Willemstad
Floris Suite Hotel - Spa & Beach Club
Renaissance Curacao Resort & Casino
Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao

Been to Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino? Share your experiences!