“Disappointed!”

Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino
Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in Willemstad
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Very disappointed And sad to say we should've listened to the reviews of the past guests!
The week prior to leaving I sent an email to confirm our upgraded room. I never received a response from that email. The first room was building 7 which had 2 double beds for my husband and I. the view was the side of the bar oceana. Had to wait at front desk about 25 minutes to switch rooms. Room number 2 was in building 8. Room #2 had our king bed ocean view that we requested and paid additional for. This rooms ac was set at 60 with a broken control to adjust temp. It was either on or off all night long with a room full off Mosquitos( pics attached). Tried to call down to front desk, but there was no phone in the room! In the morning switched rooms yet again!
The pool was filthy! The algae/mold in the pool has been building for months, this type of mold doesn't grow In a week or two! Pool was useless to us. The volleyball pool light was hanging out with its wire for an entire week in the bottom of the pool.(pics attached)
Restaurants are very unorganized, understaffed, and constantly running out of food. It's best to eat at the buffet for breakfast lunch and dinner just to avoid this frustration.
Swim up pool bar was closed all week. By the fourth day I was seriously looking around waiting for someone to pop out and tell me I was on candid camera.
Thank God for the beach/lagoon, snorkeling and the awesome friends we made. This place has so much beautiful potential. Obviously management is not doing there job. I don't understand how many more negative experiences you have to read and see to make a change!

• Stayed: August 2013
14  Thank Yeemilano
Awendel K, Assistant General Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Dear Yeemilano,

Thank you very much for detecting the potential of the property.
We have the best resort beach and almost 50% off our rooms have a partial or ocean view.
We are investing $ 7 million to up-grade the property.
Thank you for your feedback.
1. Please help us with the email address you already sent with your request in order to fix the
mising link.
2. We are working to fix all maintenance details reported on your pics.
3. We are increasing by 10% in our staff at F&B.
4. Regarding the pool bar, it is open once again on a daily basis.
Thank you for helping us with your review.

Sunscape Curacao Resort, Spa & Casino

There are newer reviews for Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino

Reviewed August 13, 2013

I was concerned about this resort because of many recent negative reviews. I would consider this a 3 star resort, but bumped it up to 4 stars because I had so much fun. This is what I experienced:

Rooms - We stayed in the Pelican building (ocean view). Our room was newly renovated all though a little damp. Yes - the beds are firm. If that's a deal breaker for you, stay somewhere else. The room was cold at night, but I knew that going into it so I brought long pants/shirt to sleep in.

Beach - This is a CORAL BEACH. If you have sensitive/delicate feet, I highly suggest water shoes. There is also a smaller sandy area that isn't as rocky. I was able to wade into the water, usually without my water shoes, and I would consider myself a baby when it comes to my feet. The snorkeling was absolutely incredible. Bring a water camera and feed the fish some leftover bread from breakfast. Seriously, the best snorkeling I've ever experienced.

Pool - I didn't spend much time in the pool. I traveled with a group of friends (10 of us total) so we had a lot of fun hanging out at the pool bar. There is not a bartender hanging out down there all the time, but if you flag them down they come and help you. I smile, please, and thank you go a long way.

Food - We tried all of the restaurants at least once. My favorite was the Oceana (seafood only). My husband doesn't like seafood, but he was a trooper and went with me anyway. He ordered the mahi mahi and thought it was great! My recommendation is to dine early. Some of the restaurants would run out of items later in the evening.

Staff - I had no issues with the staff. I'm embarrassed to say that I witnessed, on several occasions, guests being rude/unkind to staff members and getting the third degree in return. Smile! Order your drink/food/extra room key/etc. and say please! When they give it to you, say thank you! I was always greeted with kindness at the front desk. Bartenders were very helpful in finding me a drink I would enjoy. Waitstaff/servers at the restaurants have it tough. When the restaurant would run out of something, they would apologize and offer something else in it's place.

Special thanks to Rene (pool bar), Sasha (Oceana), and Sherman (Himitsu).

Room Tip: Rooms are cold at night. Bring warm pajamas. If you need an extra blanket, ask for one. Pelican...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
12  Thank Brigid M
Reviewed August 12, 2013

The whole Smith family vacations together once a year and this year we chose Sunscape, thinking the majority of reviews could not Possibly be right...wrong...we should have listened.With the exception of Verona and Raymond there would be no eye contact from any staff for the 9 nights we were there.The grounds are beautiful as well as the ocean views, but there it ends. I am going to mention a few of the problems we faced:1. Our refrig was stocked when we arrived; was Never stocked after that even though we made repeated phone calls 2. Room key cards only worked sporadically 3. Dress codes at restaurants depended on who was seating you at the time; extremely inconsistent. .......the Japanese restaurant manager called my $70 Born sandals flip flops and almost didn't let me in....had to show her the label. I saw the Italian restaurant manager turn away a well dressed man because he had on black leather sandals; he changed to ratty sneakers and was let in. Go figure. Restaurant staff acted like it was not a beach resort. 5. Could not go to any of the helpers in the lobby, they had NO answers to any questions raised 6. Outdoor grill places very understaffed. Norma is a great cook, but she couldn't do it all. Actually, I could go on and on but I won't. Our family made a huge mistake this year and won't go back. I will be very anxious to read the reviews when it becomes Dreams. If changes aren't made, I predict the resort will go belly up just like the Hyatt did.

Room Tip: We had a room in the Pelican building which was adequate
4  Thank kate6546
Awendel K, Assistant to the Management at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Dear Kate,

We hereby would like to thank you for your possitive comments on Verona and Raymond and we will share it with the their department.
Regarding the mini bar we are going to re-enforce this service and make sure that this has to be stocked daily.
We need to inform that we are going to review all the restaurants dresscodes expecially the Himitsu to keep proper attire and make it easy for our resort. Further on we will start with a special training with all the concierge staff in order to provide better service to the guests.
We want to thank you for helping us with your review.

Yours Sincerely,

Sunscape Curacao Resort , Spa & Casino

Reviewed August 11, 2013

First and foremost,I would like to express my dissapointment with AMRESORTS regarding the property purchased in Curacao. Sunscape Resort and Spa (Curacao) is not what I expected from AMRESORTS. The Resort needs a complete turn around from adequate staffing to proper etiquette.The buffet employees are very pleasant but are understaff. Pool Bar should have proper staffing instead of using one employee to manage both pool bar and above ground bar. It was sad to see these employees understaff and overworks . "No Wonder some employees are not happy to greet us. I was quite disgusted with the main pool ( which was cover in mold underwater.
During my stay at the resort I was switched to two rooms due to one room flooded with a a toilet pipe burst!! I request a crib seven months in advance and got nothing until the third day. I was quite dissapointed with the General Manager Jeanette Bonet. I want to Thank the front office Manager M. Suares and and the Director of Sales T. Dasilva @ (Unlimited Vacation Club) for finally resolving my concerns after three days of misery. This is not something a director of sales should be handling. It is up to the General manger! If I was traveling alone I could have sucked it up but traveling with two little ones does not help. The SPA has to be completly renovated... Message beds are not in working order. Employees should be fully trained or at least qualified to Message not just a rub with oil. I also had a pedicure and the chair was also not in working order. The only GREAT thing was the EXPLORER CLUB they treated my daughter with lots of love. She was always eager to go and visit due to the many activites they planned for each day.
I have been a Guest to Several AMRESORTS (ZOETRY, NOW AND DREAMS Resort) and have experience nothing but the best quality! This is from proper staffing, great entertainment and excellent SPA/ PEDIACURE Treatments. The resort has to be repair and definetly painted!!
I would have never complained if I have never seen what AMRESORTS has to offer. This is a great dissapointment from my previous stay with your many resorts.
Attach pictures of the main pool MOLD

Room Tip: Try out the AMRESORTS chain instead of Sunscape Curacao. before you make a decision not to ever go t...
8  Thank R M
Awendel K, Assistant to the management at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Dear Mr./Mrs RM,

My name is Awendel Kwidama –Hooi and I am the Assistant to the General Manager of the Sunscape Curacao.

I recently read your post and I thank you for your comments. This kind of feedback helps us know what areas we need to improve and recognize others that are in the right path.
Your positive comments (regarding Entertainment and Front Desk) provide us inspiration to achieve even more and to do our very best for each and every guest at Sunscape Curacao.
We are going to share your comments directly with Mr. Rehan Gaarie, Entertainment Manager, to congratulate the Explorer’s Club staff and with Mr. Michael Suares our Front Desk Manager.
We promise you to improve communications regarding any kind of requests, like the crib, we will review daily between Reservations and Housekeeping/Front Desk or even F&B any specific requests.
On the other hand we will look to re-enforce some areas to avoid the perception of being understaff.
Once again thank you for choosing us.

Sunscape Curacao Resort, Spa & Casino

Reviewed August 11, 2013

I got back yesterday from an 8 night stay. Most of the service disappointments are minor when observed individually. However, when the disappointments keep adding up...there is no way that even the most tolerant of travelers cannot become annoyed with the way Sunscape operates.

I ignored the warnings on here...and I paid the price. I kept hoping against hope that those folks saying it was "no big deal" were more correct. In my opinion, such "best case" observations mislead me into spending a lot of money that could have been put to better use at a different property. I don't want others to make the same mistake I did.

The joke among the multiple family members I traveled with was that we discovered a Days Inn in Paradise. We would also joke that the staff must have a daily morning meeting in which they could discuss inventive means of disappointing their guests. The point being that it seemed almost impossible that their incompetence, trivial rules, random enforcement of the rules, etc were random occurrences. It seemed that many went out of their way to prod and annoy the guests in a pre-planned manner.

I will now list the examples off the top of my head of MY experience...

1. After a late night arrival, they checked us into a room with a single bed. There were four in our party. It took about an hour to change buildings/rooms. We ended up in #7203.

2. Hungry...we tried room service. The phone did not work. I talked to the front desk who promised to fix it the next day. They never fixed it the entire stay. Needless to say, there is no room service without a working phone.

3. Took a cold shower with trickle water pressure... This was the only type of shower I got the whole week. Though family members report warm water in the Preferred Building...where I was originally booked.

4. Went to Japanese the first full night. Everyone was dressed appropriately. They tried to not let my mother eat because they said her shoes were flip flops (nobody has those on a tropical vacation). This might be ok IF we didn't count 6 other seated patrons with REAL flip flops...unlike the nice shoes my mother was wearing.

5. I was loaded with scuba gear...sent my son to the towel hut to sign out towels. They saw me, yelled to me that I had to do it myself. I explained that it was heavy to carry the equipment...they didn't care. This would be excusable had my other family members been forced to sign out towels once all week...but they never once had to.

6. Swim up bar closed the entire stay. The website at this moment says it is open daily 10 am to 6:00 pm.

7. Only the bar at the front served daiquiris. Anybody staying near the preferred building/pool had to walk to the front every time they wanted an iced drink.

8. Oceana Restaurant...the only restaurant close to my room is supposed to open at 10:00 am every day. Their website advertises this at the moment. Not once was anybody there to grill food before 11:30 am. Often they would run out of food. Chicken or hot dogs were just "not available." One day from 2:00-3:00 pm there was just nobody there to cook food...but the staff kept saying she would be right back.

9. Went to the Blue Water Grill (steakhouse) for the FIRST (7 pm) setting. They were out of 3 of the 5 listed deserts on the menu. We were literally the first party seated and served.

10. They shut down ALL WATER SPORTS between 1-3 pm one day for a staff meeting. Apparently guests wanting to use water equipment during peak hours is not as important as their convenience in scheduling meetings...

11. Went to gamble in the casino one evening...they asked me to leave because I was wearing a tank top after 7 pm. This would be reasonable if my girlfriend was not in a tank top...and was allowed to stay...along with at least 7 locals wearing the same.

12. Tried to schedule a dolphin swim with the unmarked desks in front. Waited 20 minutes to be passed to a second unmarked desk. Waited 10 minutes to be passed to a 3rd unmarked desk...where finally somebody could help me.

13. Went to Da Mario Restaurant. Listed under appetizers was pizza. When multiple family members tried to order the pizza appetizer, we were told that there was a limit of two pizza appetizers per table. This was not the case earlier in the week when other party members dined there. But Sunscape "makes up" ways to disappoint...

14. We ordered two cheese pizzas as appetizers at Da Mario. One came out... When we acquired about the second pizza, they came back with a ham pizza. They were going to force us to take this flawed order or refuse to make a second pizza until my mother threatened to withhold a tip.

15. Bar was stocked with one Coke, one Diet, and one Sprite...three drinks for four people. The second day they stocked it again with those three items. It was NEVER stocked again the rest of the week. I did manage to catch a maid about day 5 and ask for a stocking. She proceeded to steal ONE COKE from the room next to me...right in front of my eyes...and handed it to me. By this point...all I could do is laugh!

These are just off the top of my head. There are multiple more examples of little annoyances that are simply not indicative of the 3.5* rating Tripadviser gives this property. You can decide for yourself if this sounds like a 3.5* experience.

Room Tip: I would suggest trying a different property. But if you must stay here, the Preferred Building my b...
6  Thank Conservativeicon
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Our family of 4 just returned from our stay at this property from August 1-10. We also had 6 other family members who met us there and stayed in 2 other rooms. We have been to all-inclusives in Jamaica, Aruba, and Costa Rica previously. We did not expect 5 star service; we have 2 children (ages 16 and 11) and typically look for resorts that fall in the 3 to 4 star range. Our expectations for this property were a 3 star resort. Unfortunately, the Sunscape fell short of minimal expectations. Now, make no mistake, we still had a good time and did not let continual issues ruin our vacation. Please feel free to look at my other reviews and I think you will see that I'm not a negative person who can't be happy at any location.

First, the positives: the beach location is beautiful with wonderful views and great snorkeling right off the beach; the front desk people went out of their way to be helpful-we upgraded our room at check in and the whole process went very smoothly; security was very good - there was always a presence and they did their job well; the front line servers try hard to please (special shout out to Verona in the World Café - wonderful person and personality); the entertainment team tries very hard to get involvement from guests; the preferred club room was always polite and helpful - very easy to check emails and such; the room was colorful and decorated like one would expect from a beach resort; the groundskeepers are continually working to make the place look nice. With the right management, it is my opinion that this resort can be very successful. There are a lot of positives in place to be a top notch resort.

Now for the problems.

1. The safe in our room did not work
2. No hot water in the sink - the shower worked fine with hot water
3. We go to eat at the Italian restaurant and are seated inside - within 3 minutes we are re-seated outdoors since their policy is no children indoors (note that this policy was not written anywhere)
4. Inconsistent dress code enforcement (Japanese restaurant was the worst). I honestly don't think one would see more "rubbernecking" at a rush hour accident in New York City than we saw with hosts and workers checking out guests' footwear. Some people were allowed to wear shorts and sleeveless tops into restaurants and some were not. I really wish I could give more specifics here, but I honestly don't know what the workers were looking for. I saw people that were dressed really nice turned away for "infractions"; and others that were dressed typical of a beach resort that were allowed to enter.
5. Swim up bar never open (don't advertise this feature if it's not going to be used)
6. Run out of Strawberry daiquiris by 2:00pm in afternoon - also note that not all bars served all drinks
7. Some phones work, some don't
8. Steak restaurant - menu states baked potato OR corn on cob - entire family orders corn on cob but receives baked potato (no explanation)
9. Steak restaurant - order cheesecake (1st dessert listed on menu) - don't have cheesecake (please note that we were always eating early-often 1st in line)
10. Oceana grill - 2 times during our stay, we went to grill at approximately 2:00pm for quick lunch - no cook present (were told "she went to kitchen") - returns 25 minutes later
11. Attempted to use concierge services 3 times during our stay - each time, the person "couldn't help me", had to direct me to another person sitting next to her/him ; it was always someone else's responsibility or job
12. Italian restaurant - pizza listed under appetizers on menu- several family members try to order pizza as appetizer and our told we can't have more than 2 pizzas per table
13. Roof of World Café leaks badly - when it rains, water drops through roof in multiple locations
14. Some people have to sign out towels at towel hut, others don't sign and are given towels
15. Towel hut and watersports area "closed for staff meeting from 1 to 3 pm on Friday - that wouldn't be a busy time for those 2 areas or anything (sarcasm)
16. 2 out of 9 nights - room not serviced until after 5:30pm (right when family trying to get ready for dinner)
17. 1 out of 9 nights - refrigerator not stocked (this happen the day after we tipped $25 dollars - go figure)
18. Bluewater Grill closed on Friday because they don't have a "griller"
19. Servers typically have to get drinks from a central bar (Manatees) - this is quite a lengthy walk from several of the restaurants and contributes greatly to slow service

As you can see, it was always something; one just came to expect something to not be right. I know that I didn't want to keep complaining about things because it really gets tiresome. We found that we just came to expect that something would go wrong and tried to make the best of it. Individually, any of the 19 items I listed above are really not that big of deal. Collectively, it's a problem. I tried to be very specific in my list and not speak in generalities and would simply reveal ones personal tastes/preferences

I will say that workers appear to be taught the right things ("it's a pleasure"), but are not empowered or trained to make sure things are done right. I think that under-promise and over-deliver is a good rule of thumb. The Sunscape is the opposite - over-promise and under-deliver.

We had a vehicle and di venture off property to downtown Willemstad and to 6 beaches (Playa Kalki, Playa Lagun, and Port Marie were are favorites). The Seaquarium was nice and we loved the dolphin swim. We would recommend that guests look at doing this as well. Tons of potential here

Room Tip: We stayed in 8102 (Flamingo building - preferred club) and liked the location
7  Thank uoftn
Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

We came to curacao and stayed and Sunscape Hotel. The hotel is amazing and the pools are great. For breakfast there is scrambled eggs fried eggs bacon sausages pancakes and French toast just to name a few and it tasted great . Lunch is a wide variety but you can make your own custom pasta dinner is great as well . Overall

• Stayed: April 2013