5,626 results
All reviewssun clubbluewater grilljapanese restaurantentertainment teamworld cafeflamingo buildinga la carte restaurantsseafoodda mariofire showthe blue water grillcoco cafeoceana barjohnny rocketbaby lovecandy mankids club
Reviewed August 11, 2013

First and foremost,I would like to express my dissapointment with AMRESORTS regarding the property purchased in Curacao. Sunscape Resort and Spa (Curacao) is not what I expected from AMRESORTS. The Resort needs a complete turn around from adequate staffing to proper etiquette.The buffet employees are very pleasant but are understaff. Pool Bar should have proper staffing instead of using one employee to manage both pool bar and above ground bar. It was sad to see these employees understaff and overworks . "No Wonder some employees are not happy to greet us. I was quite disgusted with the main pool ( which was cover in mold underwater.
During my stay at the resort I was switched to two rooms due to one room flooded with a a toilet pipe burst!! I request a crib seven months in advance and got nothing until the third day. I was quite dissapointed with the General Manager Jeanette Bonet. I want to Thank the front office Manager M. Suares and and the Director of Sales T. Dasilva @ (Unlimited Vacation Club) for finally resolving my concerns after three days of misery. This is not something a director of sales should be handling. It is up to the General manger! If I was traveling alone I could have sucked it up but traveling with two little ones does not help. The SPA has to be completly renovated... Message beds are not in working order. Employees should be fully trained or at least qualified to Message not just a rub with oil. I also had a pedicure and the chair was also not in working order. The only GREAT thing was the EXPLORER CLUB they treated my daughter with lots of love. She was always eager to go and visit due to the many activites they planned for each day.
I have been a Guest to Several AMRESORTS (ZOETRY, NOW AND DREAMS Resort) and have experience nothing but the best quality! This is from proper staffing, great entertainment and excellent SPA/ PEDIACURE Treatments. The resort has to be repair and definetly painted!!
I would have never complained if I have never seen what AMRESORTS has to offer. This is a great dissapointment from my previous stay with your many resorts.
Attach pictures of the main pool MOLD

Room Tip: Try out the AMRESORTS chain instead of Sunscape Curacao. before you make a decision not to ever go to any of their resorts…
8  Thank R M
Awendel K, Assistant to the management at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Dear Mr./Mrs RM,

My name is Awendel Kwidama –Hooi and I am the Assistant to the General Manager of the Sunscape Curacao.

I recently read your post and I thank you for your comments. This kind of feedback helps us know what areas we need to improve and recognize others that are in the right path.
Your positive comments (regarding Entertainment and Front Desk) provide us inspiration to achieve even more and to do our very best for each and every guest at Sunscape Curacao.
We are going to share your comments directly with Mr. Rehan Gaarie, Entertainment Manager, to congratulate the Explorer’s Club staff and with Mr. Michael Suares our Front Desk Manager.
We promise you to improve communications regarding any kind of requests, like the crib, we will review daily between Reservations and Housekeeping/Front Desk or even F&B any specific requests.
On the other hand we will look to re-enforce some areas to avoid the perception of being understaff.
Once again thank you for choosing us.

Management
Sunscape Curacao Resort, Spa & Casino

Reviewed August 11, 2013

I got back yesterday from an 8 night stay. Most of the service disappointments are minor when observed individually. However, when the disappointments keep adding up...there is no way that even the most tolerant of travelers cannot become annoyed with the way Sunscape operates.

I ignored the warnings on here...and I paid the price. I kept hoping against hope that those folks saying it was "no big deal" were more correct. In my opinion, such "best case" observations mislead me into spending a lot of money that could have been put to better use at a different property. I don't want others to make the same mistake I did.

The joke among the multiple family members I traveled with was that we discovered a Days Inn in Paradise. We would also joke that the staff must have a daily morning meeting in which they could discuss inventive means of disappointing their guests. The point being that it seemed almost impossible that their incompetence, trivial rules, random enforcement of the rules, etc were random occurrences. It seemed that many went out of their way to prod and annoy the guests in a pre-planned manner.

I will now list the examples off the top of my head of MY experience...

1. After a late night arrival, they checked us into a room with a single bed. There were four in our party. It took about an hour to change buildings/rooms. We ended up in #7203.

2. Hungry...we tried room service. The phone did not work. I talked to the front desk who promised to fix it the next day. They never fixed it the entire stay. Needless to say, there is no room service without a working phone.

3. Took a cold shower with trickle water pressure... This was the only type of shower I got the whole week. Though family members report warm water in the Preferred Building...where I was originally booked.

4. Went to Japanese the first full night. Everyone was dressed appropriately. They tried to not let my mother eat because they said her shoes were flip flops (nobody has those on a tropical vacation). This might be ok IF we didn't count 6 other seated patrons with REAL flip flops...unlike the nice shoes my mother was wearing.

5. I was loaded with scuba gear...sent my son to the towel hut to sign out towels. They saw me, yelled to me that I had to do it myself. I explained that it was heavy to carry the equipment...they didn't care. This would be excusable had my other family members been forced to sign out towels once all week...but they never once had to.

6. Swim up bar closed the entire stay. The website at this moment says it is open daily 10 am to 6:00 pm.

7. Only the bar at the front served daiquiris. Anybody staying near the preferred building/pool had to walk to the front every time they wanted an iced drink.

8. Oceana Restaurant...the only restaurant close to my room is supposed to open at 10:00 am every day. Their website advertises this at the moment. Not once was anybody there to grill food before 11:30 am. Often they would run out of food. Chicken or hot dogs were just "not available." One day from 2:00-3:00 pm there was just nobody there to cook food...but the staff kept saying she would be right back.

9. Went to the Blue Water Grill (steakhouse) for the FIRST (7 pm) setting. They were out of 3 of the 5 listed deserts on the menu. We were literally the first party seated and served.

10. They shut down ALL WATER SPORTS between 1-3 pm one day for a staff meeting. Apparently guests wanting to use water equipment during peak hours is not as important as their convenience in scheduling meetings...

11. Went to gamble in the casino one evening...they asked me to leave because I was wearing a tank top after 7 pm. This would be reasonable if my girlfriend was not in a tank top...and was allowed to stay...along with at least 7 locals wearing the same.

12. Tried to schedule a dolphin swim with the unmarked desks in front. Waited 20 minutes to be passed to a second unmarked desk. Waited 10 minutes to be passed to a 3rd unmarked desk...where finally somebody could help me.

13. Went to Da Mario Restaurant. Listed under appetizers was pizza. When multiple family members tried to order the pizza appetizer, we were told that there was a limit of two pizza appetizers per table. This was not the case earlier in the week when other party members dined there. But Sunscape "makes up" ways to disappoint...

14. We ordered two cheese pizzas as appetizers at Da Mario. One came out... When we acquired about the second pizza, they came back with a ham pizza. They were going to force us to take this flawed order or refuse to make a second pizza until my mother threatened to withhold a tip.

15. Bar was stocked with one Coke, one Diet, and one Sprite...three drinks for four people. The second day they stocked it again with those three items. It was NEVER stocked again the rest of the week. I did manage to catch a maid about day 5 and ask for a stocking. She proceeded to steal ONE COKE from the room next to me...right in front of my eyes...and handed it to me. By this point...all I could do is laugh!

These are just off the top of my head. There are multiple more examples of little annoyances that are simply not indicative of the 3.5* rating Tripadviser gives this property. You can decide for yourself if this sounds like a 3.5* experience.

Room Tip: I would suggest trying a different property. But if you must stay here, the Preferred Building my brother's family stayed at offered less disappointment...and at least a warm shower.
6  Thank Conservativeicon
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Our family of 4 just returned from our stay at this property from August 1-10. We also had 6 other family members who met us there and stayed in 2 other rooms. We have been to all-inclusives in Jamaica, Aruba, and Costa Rica previously. We did not expect 5 star service; we have 2 children (ages 16 and 11) and typically look for resorts that fall in the 3 to 4 star range. Our expectations for this property were a 3 star resort. Unfortunately, the Sunscape fell short of minimal expectations. Now, make no mistake, we still had a good time and did not let continual issues ruin our vacation. Please feel free to look at my other reviews and I think you will see that I'm not a negative person who can't be happy at any location.

First, the positives: the beach location is beautiful with wonderful views and great snorkeling right off the beach; the front desk people went out of their way to be helpful-we upgraded our room at check in and the whole process went very smoothly; security was very good - there was always a presence and they did their job well; the front line servers try hard to please (special shout out to Verona in the World Café - wonderful person and personality); the entertainment team tries very hard to get involvement from guests; the preferred club room was always polite and helpful - very easy to check emails and such; the room was colorful and decorated like one would expect from a beach resort; the groundskeepers are continually working to make the place look nice. With the right management, it is my opinion that this resort can be very successful. There are a lot of positives in place to be a top notch resort.

Now for the problems.

1. The safe in our room did not work
2. No hot water in the sink - the shower worked fine with hot water
3. We go to eat at the Italian restaurant and are seated inside - within 3 minutes we are re-seated outdoors since their policy is no children indoors (note that this policy was not written anywhere)
4. Inconsistent dress code enforcement (Japanese restaurant was the worst). I honestly don't think one would see more "rubbernecking" at a rush hour accident in New York City than we saw with hosts and workers checking out guests' footwear. Some people were allowed to wear shorts and sleeveless tops into restaurants and some were not. I really wish I could give more specifics here, but I honestly don't know what the workers were looking for. I saw people that were dressed really nice turned away for "infractions"; and others that were dressed typical of a beach resort that were allowed to enter.
5. Swim up bar never open (don't advertise this feature if it's not going to be used)
6. Run out of Strawberry daiquiris by 2:00pm in afternoon - also note that not all bars served all drinks
7. Some phones work, some don't
8. Steak restaurant - menu states baked potato OR corn on cob - entire family orders corn on cob but receives baked potato (no explanation)
9. Steak restaurant - order cheesecake (1st dessert listed on menu) - don't have cheesecake (please note that we were always eating early-often 1st in line)
10. Oceana grill - 2 times during our stay, we went to grill at approximately 2:00pm for quick lunch - no cook present (were told "she went to kitchen") - returns 25 minutes later
11. Attempted to use concierge services 3 times during our stay - each time, the person "couldn't help me", had to direct me to another person sitting next to her/him ; it was always someone else's responsibility or job
12. Italian restaurant - pizza listed under appetizers on menu- several family members try to order pizza as appetizer and our told we can't have more than 2 pizzas per table
13. Roof of World Café leaks badly - when it rains, water drops through roof in multiple locations
14. Some people have to sign out towels at towel hut, others don't sign and are given towels
15. Towel hut and watersports area "closed for staff meeting from 1 to 3 pm on Friday - that wouldn't be a busy time for those 2 areas or anything (sarcasm)
16. 2 out of 9 nights - room not serviced until after 5:30pm (right when family trying to get ready for dinner)
17. 1 out of 9 nights - refrigerator not stocked (this happen the day after we tipped $25 dollars - go figure)
18. Bluewater Grill closed on Friday because they don't have a "griller"
19. Servers typically have to get drinks from a central bar (Manatees) - this is quite a lengthy walk from several of the restaurants and contributes greatly to slow service

As you can see, it was always something; one just came to expect something to not be right. I know that I didn't want to keep complaining about things because it really gets tiresome. We found that we just came to expect that something would go wrong and tried to make the best of it. Individually, any of the 19 items I listed above are really not that big of deal. Collectively, it's a problem. I tried to be very specific in my list and not speak in generalities and would simply reveal ones personal tastes/preferences

I will say that workers appear to be taught the right things ("it's a pleasure"), but are not empowered or trained to make sure things are done right. I think that under-promise and over-deliver is a good rule of thumb. The Sunscape is the opposite - over-promise and under-deliver.

We had a vehicle and di venture off property to downtown Willemstad and to 6 beaches (Playa Kalki, Playa Lagun, and Port Marie were are favorites). The Seaquarium was nice and we loved the dolphin swim. We would recommend that guests look at doing this as well. Tons of potential here

Room Tip: We stayed in 8102 (Flamingo building - preferred club) and liked the location
7  Thank uoftn
Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

We came to curacao and stayed and Sunscape Hotel. The hotel is amazing and the pools are great. For breakfast there is scrambled eggs fried eggs bacon sausages pancakes and French toast just to name a few and it tasted great . Lunch is a wide variety but you can make your own custom pasta dinner is great as well . Overall

• Stayed: April 2013
4  Thank lukeTnT
Reviewed August 11, 2013

A group of 20 people travelled to Sunscape on the 1st-6th of August. When you exit the airport look for a sunscape representative, they ask for your name, you sign and they direct you where to wait for the shuttle. If your name isn't on the list then you cannot board the shuttle. The group was pretty large so we waited a while for a second bus to arrive for us but it wasn't a problem at all. The ride from the airport to the resort was brief. Check in was a slow process but we eventually got our rooms which we were satisfied.

Rooms:
Some of our members were placed in the Tower, two families were placed in the Pelican building, one in the Seagull building and two families in the Ibis building. Rooms were not an issue for us since we spent very little time in there.
The complex is spaced out really nicely and everything is walking distance, so great for those travelling with little ones.
The rooms are strictly non-smoking however you can smoke on the compound.

Entertainment:
Every night there is a theme which was good. The first night was a beach party that included a fire performance. There was a live band playing one night and a young lady singing. She has an exceptional voice. The cultural show was very appreciated since it showcased a few dances of the country. For the little ones there were movies on the beach which they enjoyed. The nightly shows ended at 11:00 pm but the party didn't end at all. Those party lovers just head to the desires lounge (club) where everyone stayed until 2:00 a.m. We met some amazing people and quickly became friends.

Daily Activities:
There are so much to do and the watersports are free of charge. However you must sign up for the water sports in order to rent the equipment which doesn't take much of your time. There is shuffle board, chess, rock climbing, kayaking, paddle boats, catamaran, hobbie cat, snorkeling and scuba diving.

Food:
The food was average at best in my opinion, its not great as in Jamaica but you wont go hungry trust me. World Café is the buffet where everyone has breakfast particularly, this usually was repetitive with a few varied dishes. Lunch had more varied options as well as dinner.
The is the Beach Grill which opens around 11 and they serve hotdogs, burgers, fries, fish sandwiches, popcorn, nachos etc

Restaurants:
The procedure was quite simple, you just go the restaurant of your choice and make a reservation. The restaurants usually does two sittings, if the first sitting is full they give you a beeper and when your table is ready you will be beeped. The restaurants cannot be booked prior so be there on time, usually around 6:00.

With that being said, dress code is applied. Men is required to wear long pants and shoes while women are to wear sandals not flip flops. However there were a few people who were clearly violating the dress code and they were seated and other times staff would pick on little things on some peoples dress code. What a bummer!

The Oceana is a seafood restaurant. Service was quick and the food was good. The setting is on the beach which is great so avoid wearing high heels.
The Himitsu is a Japanese restaurant. They accommodated the entire group for this meal. This was quite entertaining thanks to our chef who made the experience extra special. Service was quick and the food was good.
The Da Mario is an Italian restaurant. The service was a bit slow but not unbearable. Just have a little chatter with your group and the time flies by. The food was good.
The Blue Water Grill is a grill restaurant. This was the slowest service ever. I am not one to complain but out of all the restaurants this was a tad too slow. A lot of guests walked out before even serving their appetizer. However we waited and was eventually served, I understand its a process to cook the meals so I didn't want to leave after giving the order. The food was good.

Overall the food was a hit or miss in my opinion. I felt the restaurants had similar items on the menu especially the side dishes. This gave a feeling of repetition which most guests tried to avoid the buffet but the seating and the setting of the restaurants added a varied experience. Again, while the food is nothing to write home about you will find enough to eat and wont go hungry.

Staff:
I've read some reviews stating that staff was rude, some staff are very friendly while others you need to engage them in convo. It takes a little time but they come around. I never had problem waiting for them to serve me at the buffet because I help myself, the staff are so busy it was never a problem for me to get my own drink. The maids work really hard as well as the ground keepers who I think are often overlooked. The waiters are really friendly and were always polite and respectful. A simple Hello, Good morning along with a smile is inviting enough and they'll have a chat with you.

Beach:
The beach is amazing, white sand and turquoise waters. Truly spectacular, most guests enjoyed the beach rather than the pools. Yes its that great! Lots of fishes to see, I suggest saving a piece of bread from the buffet and taking it out when you go swimming, it really does the trick to get all those fishes nearby.

Outdoor Activities:
The resort offers tours in the lobby area however we had booked a private tour with Fiesta Tours. I highly recommend this tour company since they are efficient, great tour guide and accommodates you wherever you want to go. Using fiesta tours we visited the Hato Caves about $8 US pp and its about 30 mins. The beginning is a trek up some steep steps then you enter the cave which is lit and the guide provides the history of the caves and allows photos at certain points in the cave. We then visited the Ostrich farm about $10 US pp and its about 30 mins. When you enter there is a gift shop and a small museum. Then you enter the back where there is a restaurant and the jeeps. We boarded the safari jeeps and our driver/guide was very informative. We also fed the ostrich and took photos and held an ostrich egg. We ended our tour by visiting the Jan Thiel area with a stop at a local gift shop.

The second day we booked the shuttle at the resort to go downtown. You have to book the day prior and its free. Downtown its busy and you meet lots of locals. We did some shopping, first we took the ferry and walked on the other side than we came back to Punda saw the floating market and continued shopping. Its not that big we walked the both side in a few hours. No need to change your currency to the local Florence or Guilders because they accept $US and everything in the stores are converted in $US so it makes shopping easy.

The third day we visited the Sea Aquarium which is close to the resort so we walked. Its about 15 mins walking not bad. The entrance was $20 US pp and you see the feeding of sting ray and the nurse sharks. There is a lot of fishes, couch, lobsters and eels. The Boat is like a mini museum and below is a glass bottom area where you see the marine life up close. We saw a sea lion show as well as a dolphin show. Those who wanted could have gotten pictures with the sea lion and the dolphins. Its $20 US per pic.

Curacao is a great country. The resort grounds was beautiful and most of the staff friendly. There was no language barrier at all, knowing a little Spanish helps a lot even though they speak Papiamentu the staff speaks a few languages. The staff works really hard to keep the resort clean and eco friendly.
As in any country you are exposed to something new and different, its entirely up to you to make your vacation memorable. Just relax and enjoy. Stop fretting over minor issues and just chill, remember you're on vacay time! Curacao is Awesome!

Danki :D

Room Tip: Seagull, Ibis, Pelican and Flamingo buildings are great rooms. Amazing views and modern rooms. Some of them are right on the beach and they are quieter than in the Tower.
9  Thank Talz R