5,633 results
All reviewssun clubbluewater grilljapanese restaurantentertainment teamworld cafeflamingo buildinga la carte restaurantsseafoodda mariofire showthe blue water grillcoco cafeoceana barjohnny rocketbaby lovecandy mankids club
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Our family of 4 just returned from our stay at this property from August 1-10. We also had 6 other family members who met us there and stayed in 2 other rooms. We have been to all-inclusives in Jamaica, Aruba, and Costa Rica previously. We did not expect 5 star service; we have 2 children (ages 16 and 11) and typically look for resorts that fall in the 3 to 4 star range. Our expectations for this property were a 3 star resort. Unfortunately, the Sunscape fell short of minimal expectations. Now, make no mistake, we still had a good time and did not let continual issues ruin our vacation. Please feel free to look at my other reviews and I think you will see that I'm not a negative person who can't be happy at any location.

First, the positives: the beach location is beautiful with wonderful views and great snorkeling right off the beach; the front desk people went out of their way to be helpful-we upgraded our room at check in and the whole process went very smoothly; security was very good - there was always a presence and they did their job well; the front line servers try hard to please (special shout out to Verona in the World Café - wonderful person and personality); the entertainment team tries very hard to get involvement from guests; the preferred club room was always polite and helpful - very easy to check emails and such; the room was colorful and decorated like one would expect from a beach resort; the groundskeepers are continually working to make the place look nice. With the right management, it is my opinion that this resort can be very successful. There are a lot of positives in place to be a top notch resort.

Now for the problems.

1. The safe in our room did not work
2. No hot water in the sink - the shower worked fine with hot water
3. We go to eat at the Italian restaurant and are seated inside - within 3 minutes we are re-seated outdoors since their policy is no children indoors (note that this policy was not written anywhere)
4. Inconsistent dress code enforcement (Japanese restaurant was the worst). I honestly don't think one would see more "rubbernecking" at a rush hour accident in New York City than we saw with hosts and workers checking out guests' footwear. Some people were allowed to wear shorts and sleeveless tops into restaurants and some were not. I really wish I could give more specifics here, but I honestly don't know what the workers were looking for. I saw people that were dressed really nice turned away for "infractions"; and others that were dressed typical of a beach resort that were allowed to enter.
5. Swim up bar never open (don't advertise this feature if it's not going to be used)
6. Run out of Strawberry daiquiris by 2:00pm in afternoon - also note that not all bars served all drinks
7. Some phones work, some don't
8. Steak restaurant - menu states baked potato OR corn on cob - entire family orders corn on cob but receives baked potato (no explanation)
9. Steak restaurant - order cheesecake (1st dessert listed on menu) - don't have cheesecake (please note that we were always eating early-often 1st in line)
10. Oceana grill - 2 times during our stay, we went to grill at approximately 2:00pm for quick lunch - no cook present (were told "she went to kitchen") - returns 25 minutes later
11. Attempted to use concierge services 3 times during our stay - each time, the person "couldn't help me", had to direct me to another person sitting next to her/him ; it was always someone else's responsibility or job
12. Italian restaurant - pizza listed under appetizers on menu- several family members try to order pizza as appetizer and our told we can't have more than 2 pizzas per table
13. Roof of World Café leaks badly - when it rains, water drops through roof in multiple locations
14. Some people have to sign out towels at towel hut, others don't sign and are given towels
15. Towel hut and watersports area "closed for staff meeting from 1 to 3 pm on Friday - that wouldn't be a busy time for those 2 areas or anything (sarcasm)
16. 2 out of 9 nights - room not serviced until after 5:30pm (right when family trying to get ready for dinner)
17. 1 out of 9 nights - refrigerator not stocked (this happen the day after we tipped $25 dollars - go figure)
18. Bluewater Grill closed on Friday because they don't have a "griller"
19. Servers typically have to get drinks from a central bar (Manatees) - this is quite a lengthy walk from several of the restaurants and contributes greatly to slow service

As you can see, it was always something; one just came to expect something to not be right. I know that I didn't want to keep complaining about things because it really gets tiresome. We found that we just came to expect that something would go wrong and tried to make the best of it. Individually, any of the 19 items I listed above are really not that big of deal. Collectively, it's a problem. I tried to be very specific in my list and not speak in generalities and would simply reveal ones personal tastes/preferences

I will say that workers appear to be taught the right things ("it's a pleasure"), but are not empowered or trained to make sure things are done right. I think that under-promise and over-deliver is a good rule of thumb. The Sunscape is the opposite - over-promise and under-deliver.

We had a vehicle and di venture off property to downtown Willemstad and to 6 beaches (Playa Kalki, Playa Lagun, and Port Marie were are favorites). The Seaquarium was nice and we loved the dolphin swim. We would recommend that guests look at doing this as well. Tons of potential here

Room Tip: We stayed in 8102 (Flamingo building - preferred club) and liked the location
7  Thank uoftn
Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

We came to curacao and stayed and Sunscape Hotel. The hotel is amazing and the pools are great. For breakfast there is scrambled eggs fried eggs bacon sausages pancakes and French toast just to name a few and it tasted great . Lunch is a wide variety but you can make your own custom pasta dinner is great as well . Overall

• Stayed: April 2013
4  Thank lukeTnT
Reviewed August 11, 2013

A group of 20 people travelled to Sunscape on the 1st-6th of August. When you exit the airport look for a sunscape representative, they ask for your name, you sign and they direct you where to wait for the shuttle. If your name isn't on the list then you cannot board the shuttle. The group was pretty large so we waited a while for a second bus to arrive for us but it wasn't a problem at all. The ride from the airport to the resort was brief. Check in was a slow process but we eventually got our rooms which we were satisfied.

Rooms:
Some of our members were placed in the Tower, two families were placed in the Pelican building, one in the Seagull building and two families in the Ibis building. Rooms were not an issue for us since we spent very little time in there.
The complex is spaced out really nicely and everything is walking distance, so great for those travelling with little ones.
The rooms are strictly non-smoking however you can smoke on the compound.

Entertainment:
Every night there is a theme which was good. The first night was a beach party that included a fire performance. There was a live band playing one night and a young lady singing. She has an exceptional voice. The cultural show was very appreciated since it showcased a few dances of the country. For the little ones there were movies on the beach which they enjoyed. The nightly shows ended at 11:00 pm but the party didn't end at all. Those party lovers just head to the desires lounge (club) where everyone stayed until 2:00 a.m. We met some amazing people and quickly became friends.

Daily Activities:
There are so much to do and the watersports are free of charge. However you must sign up for the water sports in order to rent the equipment which doesn't take much of your time. There is shuffle board, chess, rock climbing, kayaking, paddle boats, catamaran, hobbie cat, snorkeling and scuba diving.

Food:
The food was average at best in my opinion, its not great as in Jamaica but you wont go hungry trust me. World Café is the buffet where everyone has breakfast particularly, this usually was repetitive with a few varied dishes. Lunch had more varied options as well as dinner.
The is the Beach Grill which opens around 11 and they serve hotdogs, burgers, fries, fish sandwiches, popcorn, nachos etc

Restaurants:
The procedure was quite simple, you just go the restaurant of your choice and make a reservation. The restaurants usually does two sittings, if the first sitting is full they give you a beeper and when your table is ready you will be beeped. The restaurants cannot be booked prior so be there on time, usually around 6:00.

With that being said, dress code is applied. Men is required to wear long pants and shoes while women are to wear sandals not flip flops. However there were a few people who were clearly violating the dress code and they were seated and other times staff would pick on little things on some peoples dress code. What a bummer!

The Oceana is a seafood restaurant. Service was quick and the food was good. The setting is on the beach which is great so avoid wearing high heels.
The Himitsu is a Japanese restaurant. They accommodated the entire group for this meal. This was quite entertaining thanks to our chef who made the experience extra special. Service was quick and the food was good.
The Da Mario is an Italian restaurant. The service was a bit slow but not unbearable. Just have a little chatter with your group and the time flies by. The food was good.
The Blue Water Grill is a grill restaurant. This was the slowest service ever. I am not one to complain but out of all the restaurants this was a tad too slow. A lot of guests walked out before even serving their appetizer. However we waited and was eventually served, I understand its a process to cook the meals so I didn't want to leave after giving the order. The food was good.

Overall the food was a hit or miss in my opinion. I felt the restaurants had similar items on the menu especially the side dishes. This gave a feeling of repetition which most guests tried to avoid the buffet but the seating and the setting of the restaurants added a varied experience. Again, while the food is nothing to write home about you will find enough to eat and wont go hungry.

Staff:
I've read some reviews stating that staff was rude, some staff are very friendly while others you need to engage them in convo. It takes a little time but they come around. I never had problem waiting for them to serve me at the buffet because I help myself, the staff are so busy it was never a problem for me to get my own drink. The maids work really hard as well as the ground keepers who I think are often overlooked. The waiters are really friendly and were always polite and respectful. A simple Hello, Good morning along with a smile is inviting enough and they'll have a chat with you.

Beach:
The beach is amazing, white sand and turquoise waters. Truly spectacular, most guests enjoyed the beach rather than the pools. Yes its that great! Lots of fishes to see, I suggest saving a piece of bread from the buffet and taking it out when you go swimming, it really does the trick to get all those fishes nearby.

Outdoor Activities:
The resort offers tours in the lobby area however we had booked a private tour with Fiesta Tours. I highly recommend this tour company since they are efficient, great tour guide and accommodates you wherever you want to go. Using fiesta tours we visited the Hato Caves about $8 US pp and its about 30 mins. The beginning is a trek up some steep steps then you enter the cave which is lit and the guide provides the history of the caves and allows photos at certain points in the cave. We then visited the Ostrich farm about $10 US pp and its about 30 mins. When you enter there is a gift shop and a small museum. Then you enter the back where there is a restaurant and the jeeps. We boarded the safari jeeps and our driver/guide was very informative. We also fed the ostrich and took photos and held an ostrich egg. We ended our tour by visiting the Jan Thiel area with a stop at a local gift shop.

The second day we booked the shuttle at the resort to go downtown. You have to book the day prior and its free. Downtown its busy and you meet lots of locals. We did some shopping, first we took the ferry and walked on the other side than we came back to Punda saw the floating market and continued shopping. Its not that big we walked the both side in a few hours. No need to change your currency to the local Florence or Guilders because they accept $US and everything in the stores are converted in $US so it makes shopping easy.

The third day we visited the Sea Aquarium which is close to the resort so we walked. Its about 15 mins walking not bad. The entrance was $20 US pp and you see the feeding of sting ray and the nurse sharks. There is a lot of fishes, couch, lobsters and eels. The Boat is like a mini museum and below is a glass bottom area where you see the marine life up close. We saw a sea lion show as well as a dolphin show. Those who wanted could have gotten pictures with the sea lion and the dolphins. Its $20 US per pic.

Curacao is a great country. The resort grounds was beautiful and most of the staff friendly. There was no language barrier at all, knowing a little Spanish helps a lot even though they speak Papiamentu the staff speaks a few languages. The staff works really hard to keep the resort clean and eco friendly.
As in any country you are exposed to something new and different, its entirely up to you to make your vacation memorable. Just relax and enjoy. Stop fretting over minor issues and just chill, remember you're on vacay time! Curacao is Awesome!

Danki :D

Room Tip: Seagull, Ibis, Pelican and Flamingo buildings are great rooms. Amazing views and modern rooms. Some of them are right on the beach and they are quieter than in the Tower.
9  Thank Talz R
Reviewed August 8, 2013

First of all, let me say that like others, we were very concerned after reading quite a few negative reviews. We feared we may have made a huge mistake - Don't Worry - We all had a fabulous time. Unless you demand 5 star accommodations and service, you will too. If you are a demanding 5 star traveler, you may want to re-think visiting here. We are a married couple who travelled with our three kids - our son turned 18 the day we arrived, so this was a birthday trip for him. Our middle daughter is 15 and our youngest girl is 12. We did not give it five stars because the food is not great (just adequate), and there are inconveniences (some minor, some not), but overall we really enjoyed ourselves and would go back.

Be aware that Curacao is a desert island, very dry with cactus (not like the tropical rainforests of other islands).

We travelled from Los Angeles on July 27 and arrived at the hotel on July 28 (and stayed 9 nights, returning August 6). The customs process was quick and easy, and the shuttle staff greeted us outside the airport with a sign that read "Sunscape." Easy and no issue. We got on the bus with the other guests and arrived within about 15 minutes of landing (see check in process, below). Upon arrival, we were greeted with cold fruit punch. Yes, there was a long line to check in, and our room was not ready for an hour, but these are minor inconveniences and you should not let this ruin your vacation.

The hotel provides a daily handout with all of the daily activities (a copy placed in your room each day when it is cleaned, as well as a schedule posted at a central board), entertainment schedule, movie of the night, "Explorer's Club" (kids 12 and under) activities, restaurant times and "Drink of the Day" (by way of example, on July 28, the drink of the day was a Sea Breeze: White Rum, Peach Schnapps, Tropical Punch; and on July 30, the drink of the day was "Sunsational: Tequila, Coffee Liquor, Lime Juice and Grenadine ).

THE GOOD (really great!)

1. Kids Club - This club is for kids 12 and under. The staff is absolutely fantastic. I don't think we have ever seen a harder working group of people from early in the morning until after 9:00 at night. Big props to Roxanne, Tirson, Cynthia, Giselle, Yakira, Marvett and Stephanie. The daily activities include such things as daily swimming, feeding the fish, arts and crafts, kids Karaoke, rock climbing (there is a rock wall), bocce ball, face painting, dance class, outdoor cinema (there is a movie at 7:30 p.m. on the beach every night), etc. The kid's staff really watches over the kids like hawks. They never takes their eyes off of them. I would frequently see the kid's club doing various activities around the resort. The staff doesn't just stand around. They interact with each individual child constantly. They actually play with the kids. They treat them as if they were their own kids. I was highly impressed.

On one day they asked us for $11 for admission and took our daughter to the Sea Aquarium. She had the time of her life. The staff works hard to make sure that the kids drink plenty of water and eat good food. The check in starts at 8:30 a.m., and the kids can stay all day. My daughter typically came back to the room to shower and change for dinner around 5:30 or so, and returned at 6:00. They gave us a pager (and you are expected to return for your child within 15 minutes) and she was done between 8:30 and 9:00 each night. There were always a large group of children speaking different languages from all over the world having a fabulous time. Remember to send them wearing a bathing suit, with a cover up (for dining) and shoes. We especially want to thank the staff for their efforts to obtain a lost item. After the Sea Aquarium trip, our daughter left her backpack in the cab they took over (although at the time we just knew that it did not return back with her). The staff went out of their way to contact the cab company and get the backpack returned the following day. They went way above and beyond, and we cannot commend them enough for the wonderful time our daughter had there. Whatever they are paid should be immediately doubled!

2. The Beach & Snorkeling & Water Sports - The view is absolutely stunning. There are plenty of chairs (although not padded) and shaded huts to sit under. We never had a problem finding a place to sit in the shade. The reef is protected by a rock barrier, which allows you to snorkel right outside the hotel. The resort offers snorkeling gear free of charge, although we brought our own. There are an incredible array of colorful fish. We found that sitting in the water right outside the Flamingo/Pelican buildings is a fantastic way to spend your day. You should bring water shoes, as this is a coral reef and the coral can be sharp. The visibility is fantastic, and as you sit in the almost bathtub warm sea, you are surrounded by beautiful fish swimming right up to you. You can spend hours sitting in that water relaxing and enjoying your surroundings. There is a towel hut, and most of the time there was no issue getting towels. You can save them and take them to your room at night so that if you rise early or want to make sure you have a towel. They are large orange beach towels, and perfect for the beach.

They have free water sports, including kayaks, paddle boats, wind surfing, and sail boats. If you want to sail, an experienced guide will take you sailing beyond the sheltered area surrounding the resort. (You can't take the boats yourself) We enjoyed this - the sailing was amazing. I watched one of the water staff patiently teach individual guests to wind surf on a surfboard. Although it was free, you would have thought the guests were paying for a private lesson for the individual attention each received.

3. The Bars & Drinks - Yes, you have to go up to the bars to get your drinks (no one is there waiting on you). We have never found this to be a big problem. They will make whatever you want (we liked the frozen strawberry daiquiris (Virgin or with alcohol) and frozen Pina Coladas (either with or without alcohol). You can pretty much get whatever you want to drink, or try the specialty drink of the day. The swim up bar was not really manned full time, but someone would generally look down from the main bar above and get you a drink often enough. If you are looking to be waited on hand and foot, do not chose this resort. It is extremely family friendly, but not for those seeking to be pampered. The drinking age is 18. They recently got in trouble for serving someone who was underage, so they checked my son's plastic bracelet (kids got orange; adults got yellow, which we wore the whole time there) to make sure he was of age. I liked that they were conscious of the local drinking age. We read other reviews complaining of rude staff - we did not find that to be the case at all. All staff was very courteous.

4. The Rooms - The rooms were nice, good size with spectacular ocean views. They had flat screen tvs with many channels including HBO, cartoon channels, news (FNC, CNN, etc.) and channels in numerous languages (it is a very international crowd, with many Dutch, Spanish and English speaking tourists). The bed in our room was a king, and yes, it was harder than we like, but not an obstacle to sleeping. We are pretty sensitive, and it never hurt our backs or caused us to be uncomfortable. Our adjoining room for our kids had two full beds and they brought in a cot for our third child, no extra charge. The bathrooms have showers (no tubs) and sinks. They are a sufficient size and adequate (do not expect marble or Hyatt style upgraded rooms). We requested rooms in the renovated building (Pelican Building with Red Doors) based on comments from trip advisor reviewers and the rooms were nice (we did not see the rooms in the other buildings so cannot comment on the differences). The other renovated building is the Flamingo building (with Pink doors), and appears to be reserved for the Premier Club - which includes a private lounge in the lobby with internet access, and cushioned beach lounge chairs. Since we did not upgrade to premier, we cannot tell you if there were different or better room accommodations in the Flamingo building.

The rooms (at least in the renovated Pelican Building) had power outlets that allowed us to plug in our UNITED STATES electronic devices (including a Kindle Fire, IPAD and IPODS) without the need for a converter. It also had an Ipod/Ipad Docking Station with speakers - It was very convenient, as there were plenty of outlets and no issue trying to fight with each other to get our devices charged. HOWEVER, NO WI FI - you might as well just give up before you leave and let it go. It is not such a bad way to disconnect from the world. We downloaded movies and audio books before we left, and it worked out really well. If you must connect, however, you can purchase access from the lobby gift store for $15 a day or $40 a week. It appears you can only connect from the gift shop based on the folks we observed who would have to sit inside the shop to access their devices.

The hotel provided a blow dryer (if you want to use it), shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, shower caps, matches (and incense), soap, a coffee maker, and a stocked (sometimes) mini bar (that includes coke, sprite, beer and sometimes water). There was plenty of drawer space, mirrored closets with plenty of room, and an ironing board (no, we never used it - we are on vacation!)

5. Security - Security is tight, and there is always someone stationed in the lobby and at the end of the beach. In the lobby, you must have on a beach cover up (in other words, no bathing suits alone) and shoes (no bare feet), or you will be asked to leave by security, or more likely barred from even entering the lobby. We never felt uncomfortable allowing our children to wander around the grounds unsupervised. We never felt concerned about leaving our bags on the beach while we were snorkeling, or worried about our room. They have safes in each room, which we used for valuables and passports.

6. The Pools & Hot Tub - There are numerous pools around the grounds, including the main pool which has the swim up bar and is an infinity pool. The pools were quite nice, at a perfect temperature. There was one that appeared to be used solely for water volleyball. There was a pool over by the Pelican building that was for kids (very shallow throughout). There is no lazy river or waterslide. There is a single hot tub in the center that was usually empty (because it is so warm no doubt). When stepping into the hot tub, the temperature seems quite hot, and then you get used to it almost immediately and it is the perfect temperature.

7. Entertainment - Each night there is a large inflatable movie screen with chairs set up on the beach. Typically there is a kid's movie at 7:30 p.m. each night. While we were there they showed "Journey 2," "Brave," "Race to Witch Mountain," "Beverly Hills Chihuahua 2," "Tron Legacy," etc. Also most nights they had a 9:00 p.m. movie at the Desires Lounge (where there is also a pool table and some video games, used as a teen room during the day and an adults only night club after 11:00 p.m.), including "The Longest Yard," "The Impossible," "Fast Five," etc. If you want live entertainment, they have music (saxophone, band, etc.) in the main pool/bar area, and nightly events like "Crazy Karaoke" (9:00 p.m. at the Desires Lounge) or "Cultural Gala Show" (at the pool area) or "Folkloric Night" (at the pool area) or "Latin Mix Dancing Night" (at the pool area), etc.

They also had daily activities such as "morning snorkeling" or stretching class or windsurfing class or bocce ball or shuffle board, etc. If you want to be busy, you can be as active as you want. If you want to just relax on the beach, or snorkel right off the sand, you can do that too.

8. Island Activities - There is a free hotel shuttle to Willemstad. You must reserve it at least the day before with the concierge. There are two shuttle services per day - one at 9:00 a.m. and one at 2:00 p.m. We attempted to do so the day before and could not get a reservation for four people (since our youngest refused to leave kid's club and go with us anywhere). We had read previous reviews telling us to take the bus - so we did. It cost $1.50 per person. The bus stop is right across the street from the hotel (ask the front desk and they will tell you where to stand). Buses come by every 5-8 minutes. It could not be easier. Try it, and see it the way the locals do. The buses are actually minivans, are clean and comfortable, and easy to use. Willemstad is a beautiful city, with beautiful colorful buildings and unique architectural styles. The front desk has a Willemstad guide, that includes walking tour directions and historical sites. The city also has all the shopping you could ask for, as well as restaurants and bars. There is the Queen Emma Bridge which connects Punda & Otrobanda. When boats come through, the bridge parts to the side, and there is a free ferry service to cross. Again, this is a fun experience to see the culture of the city and is recommended. If you take the bus, you can come and go as you please.
A big attraction for the island is the Curacao Sea Aquarium. It is a 10 minute walk from the hotel just down the street. The cost is $11 for children 12 and under, and $21 for adult. The place is small, but has a lot of nice sea life. For $100 you can swim with dolphins. They had a variety of shows, including a sea lion show where my daughter was able to get a kiss from a giant sea lion. They had flamingos, sting rays, nurse sharks, and sea turtles. Overall, we felt the aquarium was just average.

We paid for a catamaran trip to Klein Curacao (Little sister of Curacao), two hours sailing from the resort. This island is approximately 2 1/2 km, has a lighthouse and an old shipwreck, and sits in beautiful turquoise water. Once you arrive, you can snorkel in the crystal clear turquoise water with giant sea turtles, or you can rest or sun on the fine white sand beaches. We chose to go with Bounty Adventures Curacao (see separate review) and cannot recommend them highly enough. With a crew of a few, they waited on us like we were royalty and ensured that our every thirst hunger or desire was met. They made us lunch of barbecued chicken, ribs and beef, with a peanut satay sauce that was to die for! Honestly, this was the best food we had on the entire trip. The cost was $107 per person, and included a pick up at the resort at 7:00 a.m., shuttle to the nearby dock, the catamaran trip to the island (about 1 hour 45 minutes there), a day at the beach; and return at 3:00 p.m. arriving back at the hotel at 5:30 p.m.

We also paid for an ATV/dune buggy outing from a place directly across the street from the resort. As part of a guided tour, my 18 year old son and I drove through curacao to the beach to see a blowhole, to a bat-filled cave, and an ostrich farm. You stop at each of these three locations for a quick view before returning to the dune buggys. It was very interesting and we greatly enjoyed it, but the ostrich farm stop was a complete waste of time. You can't see the ostriches, and the time wasted there comes at the expense of the caves and the blowhole. It was clearly intended to get you to spend money at the ostrich farm.

9. Bakery/Morning Coffee - There is a bakery/coffee cafe just off the lobby. I wish I had figured it out earlier. Once I did, each morning when I got up before the rest of my family, I got my morning coffee (they have cappuccino, mochas, espresso, etc.) and would take it down to the beach and sit and relax with it while staring at the ocean. My daughter liked to go after dinner each night and get a muffin, donut, cake or cookies.
The Bad (really not bad, just not so good either)

The Food - There are numerous dining choices. For breakfast, there is the World Cafe (the main buffet) and the breakfast is good. There is an omelet station, and the omelets are excellent. There is also a variety of choices usually including fried eggs, scrambled eggs, hard boiled eggs, sausage, bacon, ham, fruit, muffins, cereal (including oatmeal), etc. This would be in the "good" category.
Lunch - you again have the choice of the World Cafe, which is really not very exciting for lunch, or go to one of two grills (where you could get a hot dog, hamburger, fish sandwich, chicken sandwich, sausage, chicken nuggets, popcorn and french fries). If I were going to make a suggestion, it would be to improve the quality of the lunch choices. The food was not so good, and it got very boring after a couple of days.
Dinner - the World Cafe was always opening starting at 6:30 p.m. and did not require a reservation. Again, the food was bland and boring generally. Not horrible, but not good either. The other restaurants closed once or twice per week, so you have to look at your daily schedule to figure what restaurant is open. The Japanese Restaurant, Himitsu, is the only restaurant that requires reservations. Reservations can be made from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. at the concierge. They also have a sushi chef, but the only choices were salmon, crab or shrimp (not always available); however what they had was very good. There are three grill tables (similar to Benihana), but you don't get to chose what you eat - they serve a course of salad, miso soup, noodles, chicken (very good), steak (ok), shrimp and fish. Overall, it was fun and good.
The seafood restaurant, Oceana, does not require reservations and typically goes 7:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. If you want to eat early, show up at 7:00 p.m. and you will have no problem getting a table. Once the tables are full, they give you a pager and you typically get the second seating at 8:30 p.m. The outdoor setting on the beach is phenomenal, and you simply cannot be the view of the sunset, other than at the Bluewater steakhouse. Overall the food was average.
The steak restaurant, Bluewater, is out on the beach and is a fantastic setting, but again, the food was just average. Again, go at 7:00 p.m. or you will be waiting until the second seating.
The Italian restaurant, Da Mario, was fine, but again, the choices are unexpired.
The food is the reason for the 4-star review. Better food would definitely go a long way towards improving the resort.

The Ugly (yes - BAD!)

Now for the Ugly - and it was not a deal breaker for us, but you need to be aware of it. First, there was absolutely no communication with the resort. We tried to email in advance, but never got any real response. We advised them that we were travelling with children and needed adjoining rooms. When we arrived they were surprised to learn that we had two rooms (they only had one room reservation). Others told us that the resort could not find their reservations at all. We raced off the shuttle because we heard horror stories of waiting in line to check in. The stories are true. There were only two people working at the front desk despite the large drop off of people, and it is incredibly slow. We were first (yes, ugly Americans) and after still taking about 20 minutes to check in, we were advised that our room (then rooms) would not be ready for at least another hour. We were hot, wearing jeans, and not very happy, however, we were assured that once our rooms were ready they would be adjoining.
After an hour, we got only one room key and they said that the other room was being made up, but they would deliver the second key to us shortly. I verified twice that the rooms would be adjoining and was told yes ach time. We unpacked at the one room we had, but no one ever came to deliver the second key as promised. We went back to the front desk, waited in line again, and got the second key, only to discover that the second room was on the other side of the building. When we went back (and had to wait in line again at the front desk), they changed their story and said that they told us the rooms would be "close" but not adjoining. FYI - we had already unpacked one room. We were told, despite our seven month in advance reservations, that this "was the best they could do." After we were adamant that wasn't going to fly, they finally agreed that we could change rooms to have adjoining rooms but that the rooms would not be ready until after dinner that night because someone had a late check out. After dinner we went back to the front desk and got the new room keys. We were told that there would be a roll up bed, and were assured it would be there when we finally got into the new rooms. Surprise - it was not, and we had to go back to the front desk again (you wonder why we did not call? no one answered if you used the phone). The bed finally came. In short, the check in process was disorganized, ineffective and wasted about three hours of our first day. No appears to be in control of the check in process. There is no communication, the staff moves like molasses, and departments do not communicate with one another at all. This appears to be a frequent, long-standing problem that the resort is aware of but does not wish to correct, despite the responsive posts from resort management on trip advisor.

When we checked in they said that no reservations were required for all of the restaurants, so we let our son choose where to go since it was his 18th birthday. He chose Japanese, so we showed up right at 6:30 p.m. and they said we needed a reservation. They ultimately accommodated us (at a regular table, not the grills, but you get the same food), but only after our daughters were both sent back to the room for dress code violations (they were wearing fancy sandals, but the lady at the front desk said that the sandals had to have backs and sent them back to put on tennis shoes with their dresses). All restaurants (except the buffet) have a strict dress code requiring long pants for men, dresses/skirts/long pants for women, and no sandals. Since the average temperature at the resort hovers in the low to mid eighties, this was not a popular rule for the men.

The other issue relates to the room keys. For reasons that we cannot understand, they would work one day and not work the next. We were constantly having to replace them. Again, not a big deal, but be aware of the little things that sometimes make people nuts!

FINALLY -

Overall, a fantastic vacation, really nice people, exceptional kid's club staff and a lovely beach. Go and enjoy yourself, and don't let the little stuff interfere with a lovely time.

Room Tip: Ask for the Pelican Building - all upgraded rooms with ocean views, large, quiet building.
22  Thank dda4life
Reviewed August 8, 2013

my vacation in curacao was exceptional!Plaese note i am a 12 year old and this is from the eyes of a kid.My family and a few friends went there from july 29 to agugust 6.When we arrived at the airport,everything went smoothly and soon we were on our way to the resort.My personal favourite part was seeing the big bridge you get to cross over.checking in was no problem but when we got into the room,we realzed it was a handycaped room.we complained to the front desk and they fixed it up imediatly!I am from a water loving family so you could always find us in the pools and the beach.the food was fairly good too.Something we all enjoyed was the entertainment crew!Very hip and fun people who keep you up and moving and our very curtious waitress: mismelian.All in all,it was a very nice vacation,i read all the reviews on this site and i think most people are overreacting,just go with the flow and enjoy it! And that was a review from they eys of a 12 year old on sunscape curacao thank you

Room Tip: here's a tip: stay on the far right side of the beach,its has no rocks and thw water is beautiful there
8  Thank leah-marie v