$159
Hilton.com
  • Pool
$208
$190
Scuba Lodge & Suites(Willemstad)
$140
$171
Priceline
$486
5,555 results
All reviewssun clubbluewater grilljapanese restaurantentertainment teamworld cafeseafoodflamingo buildinga la carte restaurantsda mariofire showthe blue water grillcoco cafeoceana barjohnny rocketbaby lovecandy mankids club
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Trip date 7/27/13 to 8/3/13.

Let me preface this review by explaining that, like most of you guys on Tripadvisor, I usually feel that negative reviews are from people that just can't be pleased. I usually believe the average reviews rather than the terrible or excellent; unless of course there are mainly terrible or excellent reviews. The reviews on this resort are so sporadic that I truly did not know what to expect. I am a blue collar American who does not expect to get my butt kissed, I do not expect everything to be perfect and I know how to laugh at myself. I realize that people have bad days and I can forgive and forget quite easily. That being said, lets start with the ugly....

I went on this trip with my wife , 16 year old son and 11 year old daughter. After our transfer to the resort arrived, on our way there, I quickly began to realize that the island of Curacao was not a beautiful breathtaking area. I was told and read how safe and clean the island was, however, I noticed that almost every gate around the dilapidated houses were securely locked. How many of you reading this lock your gates? Your house and car doors, yes, but the gates; only in cities with a lot of crime. There was garbage throughout the streets almost everywhere you looked. There was also some type of giant oil refinery or something blowing clouds of a thick black smoke. Numerous amounts of graffiti and filth; my first impression was not pleasant but as we got closer to the resort I felt somewhat better. To continue with the ugly my 16 year old son , who was wearing an orange child's all-inclusive bracelet was served alcohol two separate nights. The first night we noticed he had a suspicious green drink. We took it away, had a talk with him and we thought that he understood that we wouldn't tolerate his behavior. The next night we asked him to watch his sister while for an hour or two while we attempted to enjoy the romantic dinner on the beach. He agreed, but half way through, our daughter came running to the dinner upset that her brother was again served alcohol even though she told that the waiter that he was not old enough to drink. I told her I would take care of it, so we went to find him but apparently the alcohol made him nuts because was seen running of the resort. After involving security and management, I was the one who finally found him reentering the resort about 45 minutes later. I approached and he ran again, not being found for another 30 minutes. We eventually got him to the room, but security was adamant about my 11 year old daughter pointing out the waiter who served my son alcohol. I finally agreed and went to the buffet where the incident happened. She pointed out the waiter who then admitted he served my son, knowing he was underage, which is 18 on the island. After his manger spoke to him in a language I couldn't understand, he than said that my son entered the restaurant drunk already, but he still served him. I then replied that serving an intoxicated person is as much a crime as serving an underage person, and you did both. Then the waiters manager and the most rude and awful head of security began accusing my daughter of lying and attempted to strong arm her and me into admitting we were lying. But we weren't and my son wasn't drunk before arriving. Anyway I refused to speak with them anymore and left for our room until the morning when I planned to leave. Unbelievable right? The next morning under a calmer and less frantic state of mind I went to the front desk to arrange for us to leave but Kurt the room division manger talked me out of it and offered to pay for a few excursions if we stayed. Also he ensured and promised that my son would not be served alcohol again. Eventually as a family we agreed. Not my idea of vacation though.

Now the bad.... My wife scheduled breakfast in bed with mimosas one morning for 9am. At 9:30 am that morning we called room service to see where it was, they said on the way. By 10am my wife was pissed and went to the front desk, the desk said it was sent to the wrong room in a different building. Okay, so we rescheduled for the next day for 8am. It came but closer to 8:30am. Whatever. Breakfast at the buffet is not good and there's no other option except room service which isn't much better and always late. The Di Mario Italian restaurant will not seat children inside the restaurant, only outside, and its the only indoor restaurant. But don't bother it's not good anyway. Everyone we talked to on the resort agreed. The food was bad. Also many bar tenders, not all, seemed annoyed to have to get you a drink. Also the swim up bar is never manned. You basically have to get out of the pool and walk around to the other side. Whatever. The resort seemed understaffed. There was always a wait for something. Many of the employees bartenders, managers, waiters seem to lie about things all the time. Or maybe they didn't understand. I'm not sure, but it was confusing and aggravating at times. For example, at Dimario we asked what we could order. Our waitress said, just one of anything. So I ordered a salad, soup, app, and entrée. She says no you can't do that. But she just said I could have one of each. She then says either salad or soup and app, or a combo of 2 of 3. Whatever.

The okay... Most of the food was okay, excluding breakfast and Di Mario. Seriously don't go there. The Blue Water Grill and Oceania was good for lunch, but the steaks at the grill for dinner weren't great. Dinner at the buffet was also okay, there was enough variety to make you happy. The entertainment was fun and they worked hard, but not out of this world fantastic. The room was adequate, we had a renovated room with no major complaints. You could tell that it was renovated in hurry but good enough for us. The mini bar was sometimes filled, no big deal since its all-inclusive. Maid service did their job.

The good.....The view from room 8309 in the Flamingo was amazing. Picturesque, perfect, better than I expected or have ever had. The water was so warm, clean, see through to the bottom and perfect. The preferred club beach is awesome, all the way on the right, away from the chaos. No you don't have to be apart of the preferred club to use it, we weren't. Note: the Flamingo building is the preferred club, the other thing you get as Preferred Club member is free Wi-Fi, which I was told wasn't good and robes. Big deal, not worth more money. Snorkeling at the resort is also great. We were newbies but we went almost everyday and loved it; a great place to learn. The bartender Luangelo was by far the friendliest and was the best mixologist; he was usually at the lobby bar. Thanks man!! Iona the lunch cook at Oceania was there everyday from 11am until 5pm, making excellent sandwiches and keeping the lines to a minimum all by herself. Thank you Iona. Himitsu hibachi was fun and the food was better than most at the resort. My favorite was the Oceania or seafood restaurant, that was the best meal of the week.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!!!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank SmilinRon9
Reviewed August 5, 2013

One thing I learned during my stay at Sunscape was this: poco poco. That's Papiamento and basically means "keep cool", or bit by bit. Our stay began a bit roughly as they did not have our resOne thing I learned during my stay at Sunscape was this: poco poco. That's Papiamento and basically means "keep cool", or bit by bit. Our stay began a bit roughly as they did not have our names on the list for the transfer from the airport and then in the reservation system in the hotel. We booked through a travel company in Germany and learned from them that Sunscape prefers to do everything itself, so working with travel companies is not always easy. But… they did finally find us and upgraded our room.

People here talked about buildings 7 and 8 as being the best, well, we stayed in building 3 and it was very modern, very comfortable, everything worked, the air conditioning was great and the shower and bathroom facilities all brand new. We were told this building was recently overhauled and you could tell. And it had great views of the water.

So, let’s break this down a bit to help:

Staff at front desk: they all seemed to have an attitude problem and I did not like dealing with them.

Staff at the World Café: they tried their best, the food left a lot to be desired, but was still presented well. If you eat here, use the pasta station. It’s good. We did have one problem with getting drinks – the waitress sort of disappeared. I complained about the poor sevice and we they went out of their way to make sure I got happy again.

De Mario: eat inside. The food is actually very good, but if you eat outside after 8:30, you will not be able to hold a conversation. Great staff.

Oceanview: The steak was good two times out of three. One evening it seemed very fatty. The chimichuni sauce was very tasty. Great staff.

I didn’t try Oceana or the Japanese place.

Beach: WONDERFUL!!! We usually used the beach facilities near building 7 and the entry is not rocky at all. The water is clean, clear and warm and wonderful and I would love to be in it right now.

Now, we stayed here for 10 days, but we did make sure we got out and had fun around the island. Curacao is a beautiful place with warm and friendly people. Rent a car, drive around, visit local beaches like Lagún. Go to Willemstad. Visit the north coast.

And remember, if you want an American hotel, go to Aruba. This is the Caribbean, things work slower, you're on vacation. Just relax and have fun.

Would I stay here again? Yes.

Room Tip: Second floor of the Plover building.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Mac6964
Reviewed August 5, 2013

My fiancé and I traveled to Curacao June 29th - July 6th 2013. We had never been, but found a great vacation package that we couldn't pass up. We've traveled to quite a few different islands, and were ready to explore a new one. We were a little nervous given some of the reviews, but were happily surprised.

To start things off, one of our suitcases was lost on the way down. We waited for over an hour at the airport trying to get things situated, and the shuttle service was kind enough to wait for us even though it was late. When we arrived, there was someone waiting to check us in, even though it was almost midnight. They quickly and promptly gave us all our information and room keys. We had requested at booking to be put in the Pelican building (as we had heard this was a good building that was newly renovated). They put us in a great room; the Pelican building is in a quiet location with a great ocean view! The entire resort was newly renovated when we were there and it is beautiful! The resort is always clean; there were workers always picking up plastic cups that were left by visitors, workers cleaning the pool and doing landscaping. Overall, the cleanliness was impressive and the resort itself was amazing.

The food was absolutely incredible for an all-inclusive; we've been to several resorts that offer "all-inclusive" options but you have to make a reservation 24 hours before and we weren't able to eat at the sit-down restaurants. Sunscape is GREAT in this aspect; as long as you get to the restaurant 30 minutes early and wait in line, you'll get seated. Yes, sometimes you have to wait and won't be seated right away. But they give you a buzzer and you are free to enjoy yourself until it's time to eat. The only negative aspect in regard to food was the buffet; the food at the buffet was horrible. Breakfast was okay; bagels, toast, eggs... typical breakfast foods. But the fruit was often slimy and not ripe. There wasn't a big change day-to-day, so it did get boring. We ate lunch one day in the buffet and refused to go back for lunches/dinners as the food was not good. The food in the restaurants was MUCH better anyway, so we didn't mind! There are private dinners available as well (at a fee); you can have a romantic candlelit dinner right on the beach. This option had amazing food; we had lobster! And it’s a perfect location for a proposal (which my fiancé took advantage of)! 

Drinks were delicious; there was always a daily drink that you could try. The cups that are provided to you are on the small side, but come on… it’s an all-inclusive! You can get as many as you want without question. Nora, the bartender, was AMAZING! We loved her! All of the bartenders were very good about the amount of alcohol in the drinks and were lots of fun! While you are not required to tip, a little goes a long way. Showing your respect and gratitude by providing a few extra dollars is never a bad thing.

The beach was great; there are some rocky/coral areas so investing in a pair of water shoes is a good idea. There are also sea urchins that are sharp, so I always had something on my feet when I was in the water. There are parts of the beach that are sandy, which is nice. Yes, some people put their towels on the chairs under the shade/huts and you never see them again. But we had no problem finding chairs the entire trip. The snorkeling is by far the best thing about this resort; we LOVE to snorkel and the amount of fish that you see is incredible! We snorkeled daily and always saw something new. The water is so clear and was warm; a perfect combination! Don’t forget your snorkel and mask; you’ll surely regret it!

The room was very nice; we opted for an ocean-view room. We had a beach front view and a nice balcony to sit on. As the other reviews mentioned, the beds are rock hard. We didn’t have any issues sleeping on it, but I could see how someone with back problems may not sleep very well. The room was always cleaned by our maid; we always got fresh towels and clean sheets when we asked. There was always a big water bottle left for us and our mini-fridge was restocked. The water temperature in the shower would change from hot to cold during our showers, but was bearable. The walls were thick enough that we never heard a neighbor and were fortunate to be on the top floor, so we had no problems with hearing people move about.

The casino was nice; a pretty good size and a range of options in terms of games. They had some table games and lots of slots. All in all, we loved this resort. For the price, we had no regrets what-so-ever. Yes, there were slight problems here and there, but if you're kind and approach the situation with a smile, you can negotiate to get what you need. People need to realize that you get what you pay for; this is not a 5 star resort, so there will be flaws here and there. As I said, for what we paid, I thought it was a great vacation. We will certainly be going back, as it is one of our new favorite places. Thanks Sunscape for an amazing time!

Room Tip: The Pelican building is in a quiet location away from all the hustle and bustle. If you're able to walk up stairs (there are no elevators), ask for a 3rd floor room so you have no one walking above you. And if you can, opt for an ocean-view!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Courtney B
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Our first time there but we were pleasantly surprised with the all inclusive enviroment. Some ammenities were not four or five star but overall is was a pleasure to stay there. Room was dated but clean and comfortable with a great view of the beach and only minutes to beach and all facilities. Phone and internet were definately sub-standard and a little problem but we weren't there for that stuff anyway. Activities were fun and staff generally friendly.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Stephen L L
Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

Putting it simply, all of these reviews are correct, take the average of the reviews to heart, understand what you are getting into, and dont expect too much and you will have fun.

If this weren't our honeymoon the extremely poor customer service may not have bothered us as much.

Location is absolutely amazing had major potential!

The food is good, with very little variety. Very comparable quality to iberostar food, maybe slightly below on the deserts.

Since it was our honeymoon we informed them upon booking and at the front desk upon arrival. We booked with the Vip club but We were put in the non vip building with a broken bed, building 7 I believe. After complaining for 30 minutes to the front desk the next day we were finally let into the vip room and moved to the correct building 8 flamingo after another hour of our vacation was wasted complaining.

Once in the new room we were satisfied and thought we were on the right track. Well, we were wrong we never received our flowers and champagne upon arrival, petite fours, or fresh fruit we were promised as part of our honeymoon package. We went to the vip room and complained daily, even multiple times some days and still we left the resort our final day without the full honeymoon package experience that lead us to book here over our usual Iberostar vacation. Needless to say we are extremely upset and hurt by this treatment as we only get one honeymoon and it was ruined by the staff. I would like to note that there was one very friendly lady in the vip club who seemed to keep trying to help us, her name started with a V, I cant remember it sorry.

Beyond the disregard for our honeymoon expectations we generally enjoyed the facilities. The location was beautiful, but the staff usually ended up putting a damper on the trip. Including: 1. being rude and unhelpful at the concierge when asking about a shuttle and lying to us that it was full and the nice woman in the vip club looked at the book and told us there was room.
2. The water sports activities such as group wind surfing lessons never showing up 2 days in a row, then kicking us off the boards later in the day for a different group class we were never told about.
3., not allowing us to go on a catamaran when other people were using it.
4. Not being at the rock wall, and acting like it was an inconvenience when we asked to climb it.
5. Waitresses forgetting about us for 30 minutes with no water refill or bringing back what we requested 3 different times.
6. Not refilling the Bottled water in the room refrigerator after repeatedly asking. Finally we stopped them in the hallway and got it refilled twice.
7. The bar was always out of the drink of day, or one of the juices we wanted and were rude when we asked for it initially not knowing.

All this could be summed up and due to lazy workers. When we addressed the workers most just seemed like they were bothered and annoyed, no matter what the request and when we were polite each time. And they had no respect to the schedule or resort expectations. I think the employees need a very intensive course in customer service and courtesy.

Another down side was the building facilities. It just looked like what was fixed was repaired quickly or halfway suck as crackled tiles, broken beach chairs with no padding, smeared paint all over edges and ceilings, and somewhat dirty edging at the bars and pools. This again could be summed up by the lazy workers.

I truly feel like this could be an amazing resort if the employees just cared about the guests. This simple solution could have lead to more organization and the completion of our honeymoon package,.proper booking from the beginning, and a more enjoyable experience.

We really did enjoy the beach, food, and overall aesthetics of the resort, but are so dissatisfied by our treatment and the lack of consideration towards our honeymoon that we didn't fully enjoy ourselves.

• Stayed: June 2013