“DONT STAY HERE!!!”

Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Willemstad
Reviewed June 24, 2013

This hotel does not looke like a 4 stars hotel, i would give it 2. Try calling the reception from your room, they dont pick up. The room smelled soooo bad, the beds were wet, we had to switch rooms and it took us forever to switch. No one wants to help. The food is ok, not great. The rooms are old , and smelly... And the pools are not clean.

• Stayed: June 2013
4  Thank Anach18
CurJB, General Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write to us. We appreciate that you have brought these issues to our attention as we believe that honest and thoughtful feedback allows us to enhance our level of service for the future. We will review all of your comments with the appropriate team members and will implement solutions to these issues immediately. I kindly request you to share thru my e-mail address jbonet@sunscaperesorts.com the room number of the room with mentioned in the review so we can also look into the condition of the room and have the shortcoming corrected.
We trust that you will not let this isolated experience mar your impression of the resort and that you will consider giving us another opportunity in the future to show you all we have accomplished.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

Dear Lord why did I ever book here? We were given a handicap room for 3days, on the 4th day we got moved to another room which had no AC after begging for a fan from the housekeeper to manager we got one at 9pm. The next day 5 if your still with me we were sent out of our room so the maintance men could repair unit... The vent wall had water pouring down the wall onto the bed! The room smelled of sewage gases. The food was awful, the servers were rude! The beds were so hard! The fridge wasnt even cool, and no they didnt stock them. We purchased water from the gift shop at $2 a bottle. Lets see oh, I couldnt even call anyone due to no phone in either room! Then on Thursday the hotel lines were down so I couldnt call anyway! Friday I was able to call from the lobby phone to cheapcaribbean.com to book me the hell home! NEVER go there! This was a quick hit of the cluster of errors from this so called resort....

Room Tip: The 8 building had no air conditioning no phone on our floor
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank reb l

Dear Guest Reb I,
We appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback in regards to your recent stay at our resort. I’m deeply sorry to learn that your stay did not meet expectations. Honest and thoughtful feedback allows us to enhance our level of service for the future and we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments. Your feedback on the room condition will be discussed in our next Rooms Division meeting as it is unacceptable to have renovated rooms with these short-comings. Regarding the food and staff service I would appreciate to receive thru my corporate e-mail address jbonet@sunscaperesorts.com some additional/specific information so that we could identify better these shortcomings and take corrective actions as the information received is a bit too general. Thank you again for bringing these issues to our attention I am happy that we were able to reach out to you via tripadvisor to learn more about your experience. I hope that in the future we can have the opportunity to welcome you back to for your resort so you can experience our true Unlimited Fun Sunscape hospitality.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

If you are one of those "spoiled" Americans, then, think twice about a booking. I personally had a really great time. Room was nice and colorful, with good air conditioning and daily room service. Restaurants all in all were good, service adequate, and the food? -- delicious! My favorite venue was Oceana (for the seafood lover!) Staff is very friendly and accommodating. Weather was beautiful, only a couple of showers on day 2. Norma, bartender at Oceana, is a great personality, as is Renee, bartender at Blue Water Grill. If you want an early table at any of the restaurant venues (excluding World Café), get in line early, by 630. I didn't mind waiting as long as they kept my wine glass full at the bar (which they did). I got spoiled rather quickly at the morning coffee and pastry café just beyond the lobby. YUM! Have a great trip, I did. Your good time depends on you and your attitude.

Room Tip: Ocean View rooms seemed better to me. If you want "quiet" ask for buildings 7000 or 8000...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We were at Sunscape Curacao June 15 - 22 with extremely high hopes that many of the reviews we read were not as bad as it seems. However, I can definitely agree with most if not all of the complaints. I will start off with the positives, beautiful island, check in was prompt and very friendly. We reserved 3 rooms with 2 of them adjoining and over the 3 months prior to arriving made several call directly to Michael, front desk manager, and several emails we had high hopes we would have our request honored. Upon check in we were told 2 rooms adjoined which was not the case just beside each other. After speaking with Michael he told us he was sorry and he would work on it over the next couple of days. When travelling with two 17 year old boys and two 15 year old boys and the resort security not very good we felt much safer with adjoining rooms. On Sunday (Father's Day) we spent most of the day packing up our rooms and were moved to different rooms that were adjoining. This only happened after we cornered Michael for a 3rd time. Then the manatee swim up bar does not exist, there is an area for a swim up bar but they do not stock it or man it. After complaining about this we were told by Michael again that he will look into getting more staff, which never happened. If you are travelling with teenagers, there are no activities or clubs for them, the disco is more like an employee lounge and when the adults show up before 11 the kids get kicked out. The water sports are basically kayaks and one paddle boat, when the water sports person did decide to show up he raised the yellow flag and nothing else could be taken into the water which made no sense because the staff has to steer the small catamaran so they should be able to handle the wind. No music anywhere, only games with music that last for 30 minutes, nightly entertainment was terrible. Everyday we woke up hoping things would get better but they never did. The only thing that made our trip enjoyable at the resort was who we were travelling with and the amazing view of the ocean. The food was good but very limited, Japanese was the best, Italian takes 3 hours if you are more than 2, Seafood 3 hours no matter how many people in your party. Staff was not very attentive towards guest (meaning they would stand and carry on conversations with each other before asking you if they could help you). However if you speak Dutch you do get better service because they know their culture and language. There was someone sun bathing daily topless and nothing was done about it. We were told Sunscape is a transition name for the AMresorts company and this resort would become a Dreams, I would not waste my money on any of their resorts after seeing this one, it should have been fully staffed the day they bought it from Breezes instead of waiting until they change it to Dreams. Service should be number 1 not revitalizing the resort, you can always have construction on a resort but not matter how beautiful you make something if the service is not good the resorts will never be good. The Buggy Adventure tour made our entire vacation, highly recommend. This resort may have potential but I will never waste my money on any of their resorts again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Gina G

Dear Guest Gina G,
We appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback in regards to your recent stay at our resort. I’m deeply sorry to learn that your stay did not meet expectations. Honest and thoughtful feedback allows us to enhance our level of service for the future and we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments. I am happy that the check in was prompt and friendly however even after so many attempts your request was not able to be honored. Your feedback on the Manatees swim up bar will be discussed in our bar meeting as the instruction is that have this manned properly. Our watersport is indeed a simple non –motorized service consisting of paddle board, kayaks, windsurfing, snorkeling and a trip with the Catamaran. As we are experiencing some unusual wind conditions we get the alerts from the local weather center and where we need to obey to secure our guests safety. Our sports and night Club Desire caters indeed from 11pm until 3am to the adults and during the day as a Teens Club Corezone. The kids are asking to leave due the fact that alcohol is then served and we are not allowed to so do with children under 18 years in the club. I will be looking into the music as during the upgrading of the resorts a full installation was done to enlighten our guests with music at all surroundings expect for the quiet area at the Preferred Club building and I thank you bring this to my attention and trust this was an isolated matter. Yours feedback on the food will be discussed truly with the Executive Chef who was brought in to enhance this area. Soon we will have our newly appointed Director of F&B starting with us who will be working with the team on bringing the service level to the standards our company has set for our Sunscape brand. Being a multi-cultural island the staff should ensure to let all our guests serve the same attention even if their mother tong is not English. Thank you again for bringing these issues to our attention I am happy that we were able to reach out to you via tripadvisor to learn more about your experience. I am so happy that there were some highlights in your stay and I trust you will not let this isolated experience mar your impression of our resort as you mentioned that the resort has its potential. Be rest assured that we will continue working on improving our shortcomings and that the future we can have the opportunity to welcome you back to for your resort so you can experience our true Unlimited Fun Sunscape hospitality.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

We stayed here for our anniversary and came in with low expectations. I give this resort a 3 out of 5 because there is room for improvement.

Shuttle pick up - We arrived at 7pm and were greeted by the shuttle. Very nice and very little wait. We arrive at the hotel a short 20 mins later with bell hops ready to take our luggage.

Check in - Not too bad. The lady that helped us was very sweet and tried her best to speak English. That I was grateful for. I couldn’t imagine working somewhere and not being comfortable speaking a language I wasn’t fluent in.

Of course they are going to try to sell you the time share program. Since it was late when we arrived our excuse for not scheduling the appointment was we wanted to get in the room and we would let them know when we wanted to talk about it. We never did. So that was nice not being harassed about time share.

The room - We stayed in the Pelican next to the Flamingo. The room is tiny but it was very clean. The bathroom was perfect size. Nice big shower, plenty of towels and toiletries. The mini fridge had juice, beer, water and soda. Coke, diet coke and Sprite. Very nice. The bed was hard as a rock, but the comfy pillows made up for it. I did have to request an extra blanket only because my husband likes the room cold. AC works great! The couch was comfy and there is plenty of drawer and closet space. Our room looked right over the Oceania restaurant and a PERFECT view of the beach. Watching the sunset every evening was nice.

Beach - WONDERFUL. Can’t express how BEAUTIFUL it was. A little chilly but once you’re in its great. The snorkeling was awesome. I do recommend bringing your own. If you’re a germaphobe you won’t like the idea of sharing snorkel equipment with other people. Do the other beach activities too. Wind sailing, Catamaran, paddle boat, all awesome and free! I do wish they had waitress staff on the beach to take drink orders, but we stayed right by the Oceania so it was a short walk to get a drink.

Pool- Meh. Plenty of space but this is a family friendly resort so there are kids everywhere. We hung at the swim up bar. Little slow on service but what’s your hurry? Get a drink and go back to doing nothing! They did have games every day and the trivia games were my favorite. They made it fun.

Food-
World Cafe Buffet not so great but what do you expect from food that been under a heat lamp? We ate breakfast everyday there but lunch we did Blue Water Grill or Oceania. They had awesome grill chicken sandwiches, hot dogs and hamburgers. Slow, yes, but again you’re on vacation what’s your hurry?
We did Oceania Restaurant. This is seafood only at night. My husband and I both got the garlic shrimp. DELICIOUS! We did have to wait 1.5 hrs but walk around, go to the lobby or whatever. There’s plenty to do to kill time. The staff was very friendly. Eating dinner with the moon light was a fabulous touch.
Third night we did Italian. Again another 1.5 wait. We sat by the pool, had some drinks and listen to a guy sing and play saxophone. Nice atmosphere. When we got seated we sat inside. They are strict with their dress code. Guys wear pants, nice shoes and nice shirt. If you don’t you have to eat outside and the wait is longer. My husband got the chicken and shrimp fettuccine and I got the tomato basil shrimp. Both incredible. We ate off each other’s plate. Homemade ice cream for dessert was a perfect end to the meal. Again service is slow but still friendly.
Forth night we did the Hibachi grill. The wait was long again but there was a beach party and fire guys walking around. That was great to watch. Time to be seated, we had sushi for appetizer and this was probably the best meal of the week. The steak was fresh melt in your mouth, shrimp grilled to perfection, the fish was delicious and I don’t even like fish! We were stuffed and absolutely satisfied.

Our trip was Monday to Friday. I wish I made it one more day longer. The weather was overcast the first two days but that’s nothing the resort can control! I could have used one more full day on the beach.

Sugar Reef bar, Manatee bar, Blue water grill bar, lobby bar, all pleasant folks. The lady at Oceania was my FAVORITE. Her personality was awesome. Always smiling and laughing. Any time she made you a drink, her response My pleasure enjoy your vacation!

Walking around the resort any staff member greeted us with a smile. The oversized chest set and shuffleboard was pretty cool too. Inflatable movie screen nightly to watch family movies was neat to see. Renting bikes were available to explore the resort.

I think we got a great deal for this vacation and we got what we paid for. I would come back, and the next go around I would do some of the tours they offer.

My husband wanted a relaxing beach vacation with no certain plans. This was definitely it. We got up when we wanted, found a spot on the beach everyday that was quiet. Most noise was by the pool. This resort is extremely family friendly. If that's not your thing I wouldn’t stay here.

All in all a pleasant vacation, and would come back with friends/our son.

Room Tip: I suggest Pelican or Flamingo. Seem most families stay closer to the pool. Our room was right in fro...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Thejoben
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Let me start by saying that we must have read over a hundred reviews of this resort before we booked it! The common thread was to set your expectations at the right level. We read good and bad. We hoped for the best and prepared for the worst.

We had a great time! The location is great, the staff were all friendly and helpful. We did book preferred club in Flamingo (building 8) and it was worth it to us even just to have the air conditioned area to check in, out and ask any questions. They were very attentive and friendly. We did have an issue early on with our keys and they ultimately could not get us into our room without replacing the entire door lock. This was a little frustrating waiting a couple hours to resolve but merely a bump in the road. Room was clean and cleaned well daily. We barely used mini bar but what we used was replaced.

Food is really the challenge here from our experience. Buffet is average but gets pretty boring after a couple of days. A few changes daily but nothing earth shaking. We ate at 3 of the 4 restaurants....two words here...ISLAND TIME! If you don't arrive before they open, prepare to wait a couple hours. If you do get seated, prepare to wait a couple hours. These are not run very efficiently. We did really enjoy Hitmisu (sp?) for both food and entertainment. Food was ok at Italian place but REALLY slow (45 min. To take our order). Food and unfriendly server/hostess at Bluewater Grill ruined that one for us.

Bottom line is for the money, this is a great value. You can stay put and never spend another penny and enjoy it! Beach was great with a good variety of fish to see, unlimited use of water "craft" and always an open chair and usually cabanas or umbrellas. I would recommend it if you can't afford to spend an arm and a leg for a week!

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Dana N
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Visit December 30 – Jan 6, 2013
Arrival: ½ hr trip from airport

PROS
• Most of the staff were absolutely amazing. James in security was extremely courteous and helpful. Thanks for finding us a ride home from town, James! Carolina in DaMario’s was a gracious and hardworking hostess. Rampatti was a phenomenal server throughout our stay and always had a big smile for us.
Norma was the bartender magnifico.
Sherman and Sam were the awesome Japanese chefs, great show Sherman. Jacqueline at Blue Water was super friendly and helpful. Luis did a great job following up and overseeing as much as he could. These folks all work very hard to make your stay an enjoyable one. Danki!
• You can even have dinner by candlelight by the beach, providing you buy a bottle of wine at the seafood restaurant. Get there early.
• Rooms in the Flamingo unit were great. We were on the 3rd floor and the climb up the stairs was invigorating. The views from the room, of the ocean, pool and palm trees were nice.
• Proximity to the ocean from the 3rd floor room was about 200 feet, with the pool between the beach and us.
• The sand beach is about 50 to 150 feet in depth throughout the 1500 feet of shoreline.
• Swimming in the ocean is perfect as a result of the rock breakwall located in about 15 feet depth of water. I would suggest water shoes if you plan on walking in the ocean as there are a few small rocks and shells which attract the fish, which make the area great for snorkeling and viewing the many types and colours of small fish within the lagoon. Snorkeling gear is provided, but with time restrictions. Get a decent underwater camera for pics of the fish.
• There are ample water sports available for free use, along with optional scuba diving.
• There were never any issues trying to find a lounge chair, which are all being replaced. Towels are provided, but bring your own inexpensive towel to reserve your preferred location.
• The food in the various restaurants was very good.
• DaMario, Himatsu and the Oceana Restaurants all served excellent dinners on a first come first serve basis.
• The Blue Water Grill served a decent lunch.
• The Sea Aquarium is just up the street and is a definite must. You can have your picture taken with the dolphins for a fee, or for a greater fee, you can swim with the dolphins for a hour.
• Immediately across the road you can rent dune buggies from a great guide named Romiy and he will take you for a tour to the east side of the island, where you can tour a bat cave, Ostrich farm and see some beautiful sites of ocean waves crashing on the beaches and various desert fauna.
• Willemstad is a short bus ride in from the resort and it is a colourful seaside port having open markets in various locations which service the few cruise ships that stop by. Be prepared to spend a day and an evening there to see the coloured buildings and the night lights. There is a casino on the south side of the port and if you continue around behind the casino, you will come to a variety of restaurants all sitting directly on the ocean.
• The fireworks during the New Year’s season were absolutely amazing across the island.
• At the time the guest rooms in our building did not have telephones, but the front desk was obliging and permitted us to call home to Canada at no additional charge
• According to the locals, temperature and climate are fairly consistent, year round and daylight hours are a minimum of about 11 and a maximum of about 13.
• Be prepared for a lot of sunshine and intermittent showers
• Did I mention how great the staff were? Even though you are probably not supposed to tip the staff, take lots of U.S. dollar bills.
• The pina coladas with dark rum, went down smoothe…all inclusive, what can I say

Cons
• Check in: Upon arrival, the staff were courteous, but service was slow as a result of rooms being renovated and not ready. Also, we were a group of 45. Several people did not get the rooms they had requested, such as ground floor and the delay for many of the rooms ranged from about 1 to 3 hours. The stress for some could have been alleviated had the resort offered to check the guest’s bags and offering them a change room, so they could begin to enjoy their stay.
• Due to the massive renovations, there were some amenities that were lacking, but over the period of the week, services and amenities were being upgraded.
• Internet and wireless were virtually non existent and very pricy. You could only use wifi around the main restaurant/pool areas. But hey, we were there to chillax and that was exactly what we did
• Transportation to town using the local community shuttle, is antiquated, but inexpensive $2 per person each way. If you plan to come back past 7:30 pm, take a taxi and avoid the wait.

Would my family go there again? As I said, we were there to chill out and relax…In a heartbeat -Yes!

Nobleton, Ontario, Canada

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank NobletonOn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Willemstad
Lions Dive & Beach Resort Curacao
Papagayo Beach Resort
#11 of 32 in Willemstad
Renaissance Curacao Resort & Casino
Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao

Been to Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino? Share your experiences!