“Don't bother”

Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino
Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in Willemstad
Reviewed June 13, 2013

My sister and I were looking forward to visit Curaçao since we just went to Aruba for our other sister's wedding last Nov. First of all, our flight got delayed, so we arrived around 8:00pm. Dropped off our bags and went to the seafood grill place. They told us that they don't have any tables available, so we went to the steak place. They told us there is going to be a 30 min wait and gave us a buzzer. We see people leaving the restaurant but buzzer does not ring. Finally, my brother went and asked the staff and they are like "oh yeah you guys are waiting" and then activate our buzzer. I guess if we didnt "remind them" we could be waiting for a long long time. We finally sat down and no one came by to take our drink or food order. We finally flagged a waitress and she pointed at another waiter and said he will be taking our order. We waited some more and flagged the waiter. He said one moment and another waitress came and told us that someone will come and take our order. The someone finally came and she is the original waitress we flagged earlier. I guess she didn't feel like working that night and got caught. The food was ok but the service was horrible. We went back to the room and found that there is no shampoo or conditioner. We looked for a phone to call and there is no phone in our room!!! I went to my sister's room and call the number provided for our room but no one picks up!!! There is not a number listed anywhere for the front desk or housekeeping. The next morning, we asked the front desk about our phone and was told that our room does not have a phone line so no phone!!!! I am sorry if others think that Americans have "entitlement issues". To me, having a phone should be pretty basic even for motel 6. The food at the Japanese grill place was soooo salty. We tried to tell the "chef" to go easy on the soy sauce, but he couldn't understand us. The seafood grill place always have a long line. Line starts around 6:30. When we were there, the line was fairly long and even though there were quite a few waitresses there but no one made any attempt to tell us what to expect. No name was written down, so nobody knows who's there first, second....when they finally open, they go to random people and start seating. This is not fair to those who were there first. We waited for 1 hour and 45 minutes before we got our entree. The food was pretty good, but not sure that it's worth the wait since we got kids with us. Overall, if you expect any service at all, this is not the place for you.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Buggy00
Write a ReviewReviews (5,077)

Reviewed June 12, 2013

Lets start this review by saying that the trip to Curacao was a pleasure. The resort was clean and the staff very professional and courteous. My wife and I enjoyed the vacation because it was our honeymoon. Ok i will list what i like and what i didnot enjoy about this vacation,
LIKES:
1. Cool breezes at all times. Great natural air conditioning.
2. You can drink the water from tap without getting sick.
3. First island resort that we have been to where its safe to walk off the resort.
4. No one begging for money.
5. Friendly people on and off the resort.

MISSES
1. Food could be better. No bad breakfast and lunch, but dinner at the buffet was a miss.
2. A la Carte is terrible. With the one exception of the Japanese was excellent.
3.The bed was to hard to sleep on. Now that's by personal problem. Some people like hard beds.
4.The shower water would never get hot enough for me. Some time it was cold and had low water pressure most of the time.
5. Nightly entertainment was weak.
6. Would help if they had theme nights in the buffet.
7. Would enjoy more local food be served at the resort.
8. To many pigeons around the food areas. Listen up people please stop feeding the flying rats so that they will go away.

Even with the issues I would still return to Curacao. Maybe not to this resort at first, but at a later time. The island is beautiful. The people are warm and friendly. Sunscape has some work to do, but overall I would recommend going to this resort. Resorts only improve when people submit their opinions on how their stay was. I submitted some pictures so everyone can see if they like this resort.

Room Tip: Get the Flamingo side of the resort
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank paradise51
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I will start with the good. The island itself is beautiful, the weather consistent, no hurricanes or tropical storms to worry about. The snorkeling was fantastic. I am an experienced snorkeller/free diver and even just snorkelling around the sea wall at the resort will provide some unique encounters of fish and coral. Make sure you go on the back side of the see wall, that is where you will really see some of the corals.
The resort itself is picture perfect, having multiple locations where you can eat just meters from the ocean. I found the maid service to be quite adequate. Now the bad. It appears to me that everything in this resort is designed to save a buck. At least from a food and alcohol perspective. A la carte restaurants are filled without reservation. This causes you to spend loads of time waiting in line. When finally received you spend loads of time waiting again as the staff is overtaxed serving 50+ people at once. I actually waited thirty minutes before I received my first glass of wine. Speaking of wine many of the restaurants boast an "extensive" wine list, which really meant, we have 1 white, 1 red and a rosee. My favourite restaurant was Blue Water Grill Steakhouse, its right on the beach, very good steaks but most waiting. The Habachi bar was also good but the heat coming of the grill combined with the heat of the island was a little much. As far as I am concerned, avoid the buffet, World Cafe like the plague. Everyday breakfast, was bordering on frigid, excluding the made to order omelettes. There is a microwave a available, so that is a way of combatting the cold. Alcohol is served in 250ml plastic cups at the bars, be prepared to get your excercise. Also remember to ask for alcohol if you want it. If you don't you will always be getting virgins.
The "entertainment" team, was comprised entirely of men and seemed to spend more time flirting with female guests than doing anything remotely entertaining. Found that actual scheduled entertainment events were often never actually started.
I had a great time in Curacao, but I would plan on eating out if I returned.

Room Tip: Don't worry about your room. YOU are here to enjoy the SUN, the SURF
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank devolutionaryleverag
Reviewed June 12, 2013

1st -the staff is TRULY friendly, courteous and helpful; after each service rendered came the "It's my pleasure" with a smile. i agree with another contributor about the rude and 'entitled' attitude that some Americans bring to island life.
2nd-Most local island people (EVERYwhere) have little means, but take care of what they have. The only reason i do not 5 star this property is because i have been to several major chain operated TRULY over-the-top spectacular 5 stars & i know that this place does not compare to those in "quality"- HOWEVER, this staff and property really TRIES their darnest to provide a clean and hospitable atmosphere. I appreciate that they take care of what they have and are changing out the worn pieces. 2days before we left, the entire World Cafe dining room was blessed with all new chairs!
3rd- the rooms are "modest" but comfortable. If you are concerned about bathroom cleanliness, you don't have to leave a "secret fingerprint" (seriously?....). I like to write a small "good morning" MSG to the maid, of just a smiley face on the bath mirror with a bar of soap; you see, the maid will have to wipe down the mirror and surfaces to remove it. The room was always cared for in the very best manner -and COLD (but AC can be adjusted).
We snorkeled everyday, including the day we also took advantage of the "all inclusive" shore dive. The quantities and varieties of fish right there on the reef is amazing! Equipment is in good shape.
I thought lot about the title for this review while lazily laying in the hot sun and constant breezes.....My others were "So dushi" and "BLUE" and "seaquarium right outside your room"' but the latter is misleading because there really is a seaquarium in Curacao already, and BLUE would be too abstract for some readers. The pics I have attached are not adequate, but are only a glimpse of the property. The water is SO "Tidy Bowl" BLUE, the CURACAO BLUE liqueur is so tasty and popular that Norma at the Ocean Grill serves her curaçao Bon binis 4 at a time,- and the tiny little finches that fly over the liqueur bottles on the bar try to steal a taste. Ocean grill bar was our favorite because of Norma, the finch show, and the grilled Mahi sandwiches. As far as we were concerned, we could (& did) spend entire days within the 100 yards of that bar and the beach.

Room Tip: Guys MUST wear long pants to the Special Dining rooms. See attached photo with "Ingrid- the Ja...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank ttdell
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Wow! It was the first time away alone for my husband and I since the kids were young - over 10 years. It couldn't have been better.

The staff here was exceptional. We really want to load the praise on for Sonaly, Tiffany, Solimar Viejalis, Shanteley and Thayda. Everyone of these ladies contributed to helping us to be well informed, comfortable, finding great excursions and helping us with any problems.

I left my expensive lumbar pad for my back (through it out before the trip), in the cab on the way to the resort and they tracked it down and delivered it to my room!

They helped us get a last minute reservation for dinner for two by the ocean shore.

The dive shop on the premises was incredible, snorkeling was right off the shore.

The resort was in a great location in the country 20-40 minutes to all kinds of things to do.

We LOVED our room, one of the best we ever had.

We loved it so much we will be returning this fall with our adult children!

Room Tip: Ask for the renovated area of the resort - they are working on it - some rooms are not remodeled.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Michele S
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We stayed at Sunscape May 29th-June 5th. Family vacation, (4 kids, late teens-early 20's). We had a great time. The rooms were very spacious in building 2. Not the best view, but we spent very little time in our room, so that was not an issue at all. Beach was fantastic for sunning and snorkeling. Bring your own gear and water shoes were very helpful. Plenty of lounge chairs on the beach at all times. I would like to give special shout outs to the Entertainment team, especially Crazy G, Zeric, John, and O'Brien, bartender Tom, World Cafe Hostess..Mismeilin, Shanty, a waitress at Oceana, and Verona, a waitress at the World Cafe. Excellent service was given by all of the above. Take advantage of the free scuba diving class. My kids did it and loved it. Service is slow, it's just the pace in Curacao, but it does take a few days to get used to it. Have fun, we wish we were still there.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I had such a great time on this trip, i went to Sunscape with my family (mother, father and brother) and we all had a wonderful time. The entertainment staff is very fun, and most of the staff is fluent in many languages (spanish, english, dutch). The rooms were very clean and if you needed something brought to your room they were more then happy to help. We stayed in the flamingo building which was one of the newest buildings in this location and it was definitely worth getting a room there.

Room Tip: Flamingo building
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank kaitlinairey
Tiffany-Juliana, Guest Relations Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Dear Kaitlinairey,

First of all thank you for have chosen Sunscape Curacao as your vacation spot.

I would also like to thank you for sharing your experience with us and taking the time in sharing this great review with the rest of the world. Your comments are very valuable to us and we really appreciate the effort that you have taken.

We hope to have the pleasure in serving you in the near future at our Resort or Sister Resorts.
You can send us an email at info.sucur@sunscaperesorts.com for your future visit with us.

Hope to have you back HOME soon.

Warm Regards,
Tiffany Juliana
Chief Concierge

Also consider these accommodations in or near Willemstad
Lions Dive & Beach Resort Curacao
Papagayo Beach Resort
#9 of 32 in Willemstad
Renaissance Curacao Resort & Casino
Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao

Been to Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino? Share your experiences!