“WOW. Awesome snorkeling, beautiful culture, US dollar goes so far, tasty food, GREAT service”

Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Willemstad
Reviewed May 9, 2013

My boyfriend and I just returned from a 6 night stay at the Sunscape and were nothing but impressed. Since we were shopping on somewhat of a budget we would have been ok with getting a "budget type" of resort but that wasn't the case at all. The people at sunscape were so incredibly nice, the beach was great (a bit rocky when you walked out past mid thigh though) but we did find spots that were all sand. Snorkeling was fantastic. Bring some bread with you and the fish will eat right out of your hands! If you're kinda adventurous they have plenty of free activities that will satisfy you there (kayaking, catamarans, ect.) but if you really like adventures PLEASE check out the blue room. Most amazing thing on the island. (YouTube blue room and check it out first... A good video I found was titled something like SUP blue room) it's an underwater cave that you do a very short swim into (I've had pretty bad asthma all my life and was fine with holding my breath) once you get in the cave there is a big rock you can stand on. The way the sun hits the water turns everything blue. It's amazing. Rent a car, go to Santa Cruz beach, find 'Captian GoodLife' (he lives right there on the beach) for $20 he'll take you to the blue room, a few places to snorkel, a few awesome beaches (including a black sand beach) and tell you some crazy stories. He's a character! We loved him! But back to the sunscape resort, awesome place. Our room could have used some renovations but management told us that half of the resort has been updated, and the other half will be finished in 3 months. We had such a great time we are going back in 4 months. Soooo worth the money!!

• Stayed: May 2013
5  Thank CarolynAsh

Reviewed May 8, 2013

If you're searching for a great family get away, Sunscape Curacao is the place to be!!!

My husband and I, together with our eldest daughter of 4 and our twin daughters of 18 months had an absolutely fabulous time at Sunscape Curacao. Check in was very quick. Shagayley at the front desk was very helpfull. We were upgraded from garden view to ocean view room.

The first upgraded room we got was very small for 5 persons, but after 1 phone call from the bell boy Raymond (thanx Raymond for all your help) to the front desk, we got a beautiful newly renovated big room in the Flamingo building. Just next to the pool and the beach. We were impressed by the way the resort looked (especially after reading some of the reviews). You could see everybody was making a lot of effort to keep the gardens clean and neat.

Our eldest daughter of 4 just loved the Explorers's Club. Wow, what an ambience and everyone at the Kids Club was so nice. The energy this team has, is amazing. Thanx Roxanne, Tirson, Stephanie, Cynthia, Yakira, Marvette and Giselle for an unforgettable time and experience for us and our little girl. Everyday, from 9 till 9 there were activities. From watching a movie, to camp outs, games, handy crafts, trip to the Seaquarium, feeding the fishes..............you name........they did it. Especially with Easter they had a very nice program.

The food at the buffet was overal ok, but we loved the Oceana, Sushi place and the Italian restaurant (ask for the scallops.........they were yummie).
The bars had lovely cocktails (ask for the BMF) and wonderful strawberry smoothies. Our eldest is still asking for it.

The best thing for all of us were the lounge seats under the coconut trees. The girls were playing with their toys in the shadow, while we were having yummie banana muffins and coffee.

There was never a dull moment........making sandcastles at the beach, going for a waterbike ride, a stroll along the beach, karaoke at night, live music. The entertainment crew is the best.

We had rented a car, but looking back to it, this wasn't needed, as we enjoyed staying at the resort. The all-inclusive deal gives you a free feeling (don't need to walk with a bag or a purse). It was a good thing I read about the beepers for the restaurants on this site. This gave my husband and I the chance to dine together in the 2nd round, while our babysitter Rose was watching the children in our room. Thank you Rose for your excellent job with all 3 children.

I have travelled a lot, but the special attention we got from the staff was superb. A special thank you to Natalie, Venethy, Norma (bar), Anthony, Wendy, Hardei, Melissa and Kerrion. You absolutely made our day, every day. For the first time ever, my husband and I felt like we got the kind of rest we wanted (especially with 3 kids) and didn't want to go back home.

We will be back in December! Thank you Sunscape crew, for making our holiday unforgettable.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank RomiR73
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Like everyone else, we looked at the mixed reviews before booking and were a tad wary, but we figured it couldn't possibly be that bad--especially for the great deal we got on Expedia.
As it turned out, it was a fabulous stay with only a few hiccups, and we'd come back again in a heartbeat and would absolutely recommend it to family and friends.
We're fairly well traveled in the US, Europe, Asia, and the Caribbean (currently working our way through the islands) and stay anywhere from the Four Seasons to the Holiday Inn. We're pretty active and when we come to the Caribbean we always rent a car, explore, and usually spend very little time at our hotel, but spent a little more time at this one due to the whole A/I thing.

The Room:
We booked a garden view room and were in the 4000 building (Ibis), with a renovated (the girl at the front desk said all the rooms had been renovated) room on the first floor. It was perhaps not the best building since it was towards the back rather than by the ocean, but the patio was private (unlike the ones looking out onto the pool/ocean) and gave us a nice place to hang our suits to dry, etc. Safe worked perfectly, A/C was perfectly cool (actually, too cool for me), and the fridge was promptly restocked with beer and soda. I did wish that they'd provide an actual blanket rather than just a sheet but since it WAS 88 degrees out we just turned off the A/C to sleep.

The pool/beach:
We spent most of our days out diving/exploring the island so didn't spend all day lounging at the resort (I figure I can sit in a comfy lounge chair and read a book with a cocktail on my deck at home) The pools seemed nice enough, though there were a lot of children. The whole resort was seemingly very child-friendly, and there was a kids club for ages 3-12. There may have been an adults-only pool hidden away somewhere but we didn't seek it out. The beach was pretty rocky walking in. They have a breakwater so the beach/swimming area is protected from surf (again, great for kids). Plenty of beach chairs and shade, didn't seem too crowded.
The snorkeling is actually not bad--there's just rocks, no reef, but lots of fish to be seen and the occasional eel. It's obvious that people feed the fish (tsk tsk) because they'll swim right up to you and a particularly bold sergeant major even tried to take a nibble of my finger (In his defense, I WAS wiggling it enticingly at him.)

Drinks:
There were 4-5 main bars, and at times there was a little bit of a wait. Bartenders were variable in friendliness, most were pretty good. The bar by the lobby was our favorite. Fair selection of alcohols, a rainbow of curacao varieties (as you might imagine) and some US-branded alcohols (along the lines of Jim beam, etc). The dark rum they carried was delicious. Most of the specialty cocktails on their list tended to run on the sweet side, but seemed appropriate for a tropical beach. Beer seemed pretty much limited to Amstel, and wine was pretty much "red" or "white". I like pricey wine and scotch that's older than I am as much as the next girl, but had a lovely time relaxing with the fruity tropical drinks.

Food:
We ate at all the restaurants--Japanese, Seafood, Grill, and Seafood. One theme is that the appetizers/soups were uniformly disappointing, so we stopped getting them. The seafood (Oceana) was definitely our favorite--it never seemed to be crowded, was right on the beach, and had delicious grouper filets and octopus. The octopus was actually among the best I've had, and I have eaten a lot of those suckers in my time. The grill had nicely cooked steaks and a gorgeous sunset view. The italian and japanese were both sub-par. If you've ever had italian or japanese even at chain restaurants (Maggianos, Kanki, etc.), you can probably skip these two. The tenderloin at the italian place wasn't bad, but they didn't have any steak knives and neither they nor I were motivated enough to run to the steak restaurant to get one. There aren't any reservations, but we were usually hungry by opening time (7-ish) and never had to wait for a table. (The japanese restaurant in particular seemed to attract large crowds. Again, not worth it.) I never found anything particularly exciting at the buffet, though they did have about 8 different kinds of breakfast meats each morning that I availed myself of excessively. The grilled fish sandwiches and croquettes at the grill made for excellent lunches/snacks.

Activities:
They have an extensive daily roster of activities as well as evening entertainment, most of which we didn't partake in. We did take a paddleboat out and take a windsurfing lesson, which was a fun way to look silly in front of all the sunbathers. They have hobie cats too, but we never got around to that. If you're a certified diver, you get one free shore dive a day (includes equipment)--you can go out just with your buddy if you feel comfortable, or with a divemaster on a guided dive at 2PM daily. We went out twice with one of their divemasters, who was very friendly and enthusiastic. The reef out front is ok, and we were happy to get back in the water since it had been a while--but definitely would have been bored if that was the only diving we got to do on the island. We booked the Thursday trip to the Mushroom Forest with the on-site dive shop (Ocean Encounters, the largest one on the island), but they canceled on us due to not having enough people signed up (apparently they require 16 and only had 9) so we ended up calling around and going with Want 2 Dive, whom we had an absolutely awesome day with. (But that's a separate review.)
The evening entertainment was actually not bad--they have some talented and hard-working performers, and it was nice to have live music every night for dinner and post-dinner drinks. If you're looking for a serious club scene it probably goes without saying that you might look elsewhere (say, Vegas). We were excited to do some dancing for their Friday night beach party, but soon were saddened to find that the dancing consisted of the cha cha slide. (which seemed actually quite popular with the crowd, so we probably were just not enough drinks into the evening)

Misc:
The service was, I thought, pretty decent for the most part--with few exceptions the staff were friendly and helpful. There were times where we waited a bit for our food or drinks, but it wasn't as if we were in a rush to get anywhere.
The check-in process was horrible--every day at 3:45-ish seemingly a giant busload arrives from the airport. I'd seen this mentioned in previous reviews, but due to our flight being delayed and waiting for our rental car we arrived right AFTER the bus, and it took literally an hour to get checked in. Print a paper copy of your confirmation email from expedia--I had mine just on my phone and this was apparently unacceptable. I haven't been asked for a paper confirmation to check into a hotel for years, so just FYI. An incredibly irritating way to start our vacation, thank goodness it got better quickly.
I wish that there was a better way to get information--there were a variety of desks in the lobby area and I wasn't clear on what they were all for so ended up going to the front desk if I had a question--which of course took forever if anyone happened to be checking in.
And last but certainly not least--they have no decent hot sauce (just tabasco), which I think is a shame in the carribean. Put out just one bottle of awesome caribbean hot sauce (any kind will do!), label it "SUPER SPICY! DO NOT USE!" in 4 languages to protect the rest of the clientele, and I'd be a happy lady.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
13  Thank Synne9
Reviewed May 5, 2013

First off, this isn't a five star resort, so if you expect that you will be disappointed. But I still believe it was a good value.
I went with me friend. We were there April 25th through May 2nd.
We did encounter some hiccups. I expected to be in a room shown on the internet site, and was super disappointed to be in a run down room (but with an exceptional view of the beach.) It was the equivalent of an old Motel 6. And one night there were blood stains on our pillowcases.
But we asked to change rooms and they put us in 3110, which is a newer room right on the beach-fabulous!
There were ants on the bathroom wall in this room and we asked for it to be sprayed, but the only thing that kept them away was to keep the lights on.
The resort itself is in need of some minor updates. Some parts of the buildings looked a little older and run down, but it is very minor.

The Cons:
They only have one choice of beer, they ran out of pina colada and tequila several times.
The swim up bar is pretty much non-existent.
The food is average.
The seafood restaurant-fish cooked to perfection.
The Japanese restaurant was good.
The italian restaurant was very lame. ( I ordered fettucine, it was just fettucine with a sauce, nothing else, and the service was non-existent.) You would be better off eating from the pasta bar in the buffet which was good.
The food in the buffet had a good assortment and for the most part was good.
Their Disco sucks! Nobody is ever in there. They need to make it more open to the outside with a patio and it would be hopping!!

The Pros:
Snorkeling equipment is free.(This isn't a place to come if you want a long expansive white sandy beach. The shore is sandy, but it is a rocky beach, probably why there are so many great fish.)

The rooms are clean (despite our bad pillowcases the first night).
You have one free dive a day after your free lesson (an incredible value, diving is expensive from what I remember from other resorts).
There is a great variety of fish to see, right in the comfort of the beach.
They have a live band or singer outside every night. Some nights better than others, but it contributes to a wonderful atmosphere at night.
They have a free shuttle to the airport both ways and also downtown twice a day.
But you have to sign up a day in advance for the shuttles downtown, I didn't know that.
Its all-inclusive.

Also, I have been to the Dominican Republic, Puerto Vallarta and Riviera Maya in Cancun and I have to say this was the nicest staff I have encountered. Maybe not just in resorts, but ever!! I don't know these people that say they were rude and unattentive, but my guess is if you are rude and demanding, you will not get good service in most places; abroad OR in the states. I thought they were extremely polite and A LOT of fun!! The staff was fabulous, and the best part of this resort!!

Chris at the front desk was wonderful!! Exceptionally good customer service and very good at multitasking with the long lines and responding to any request with a sense of urgency.

Milleime (can't remember how to spell her name), that works the hostess stand at the buffet was so sweet and adorable! Very polite and endearing; we loved chatting with her.

Jonathan at the main bar was very attentive and extremely polite.

And Renee at the main bar is part of the reason I had so much fun when we were out getting our drinks at the bar. He was hilarious!!! Very fun and great customer service!!! He kept me laughing and entertained for a majority of our stay.

So in summary I would say for me, my basic needs for a great vacation were met.
Clean room. Nice beach.
Free flowing alcohol (the pina coladas with dark rum are heavenly),
good food and nightly entertainment.

Also, my friend and I rented a car and explored the island. Overall I felt fairly safe, but you need to take your valuables and leave your doors unlocked when you leave it, or someone may smash the windows because they think you have something of value. We found it a little unsettling when we saw all the smashed windshields in the parking lot of Shete Boka. But nothing happened. They did have a police car driving through the park regularly.

Room Tip: Request a newly renovated room. Building 3 was right on the beach with a patio, the best building on...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank Rchm36
Reviewed May 3, 2013

We are a seasoned couple in our late 50's that travel extensively. We can accommodate from elegance to simple as long as clean and most of all receive what is advertised and promised. We went to the Sunscape Curacao from 04/26/13-04/30/13 thru Travelocity. Unfortunately, we found and received nothing of what Sunscape and Travelocity were supposed to offer which was top shelf liquor, gourmet quality meals, all inclusive meals/tax/tips/beverages, friendly staff and rooms refurbished and modern.

From arrival everything was nothing as promised. The only brand liquor served on the premises is a local unknown cheap quality brand which covers all rum, scotch, vodka and gin. I don't know whose top shelf but certainly not one of a any decent stocked bar. I ended up going to town (Punda) and buying my own bottle of quality liquor to drink on the premises and this supposed to be all inclusive but no one said on their site ads that the liquor was of the most cheapest quality possible.

The buffet quality was comparable to gourmet dog food. Poorly prepared, horrible taste, miserably presented and the buffet area dangerously set as water dripped from the roof light fixtures to the floor creating a possible electrocution hazard to which the staff did nothing about to resolve.

Of the four in-house restaurants we dined in three of them.

The first night we dined at the sea grill restaurant which provided us with a choice of steaks. Actually, this was not bad (nothing to rave about). Each of us two had three glasses of red wine which is the equivalent of a bottle of wine. The wine bottle was not brought to the table but we did have a total of six glasses of wine with dinner. (this is important to keep in mind).

The second night we dined at the Italian restaurant which provided my wife with a pasta and shell fish dinner equivalent in taste and quality to opening a can of Chef Boyardee. My "succulent scallops and large shrimp" consisted of scallops less than the size of a US dime and the shrimps, including the attached tail, were no larger than an inch long. The sauce was watered down and hardly any taste. Salt became a major factor in providing any taste to this and all other meals in all the restaurants. We did ask for a bottle of white wine with dinner which was the same white wine that is served at all the other bars in the resort including the pool bar.
The waitress was hard to find for any request and after dessert (brought by another waitress) we saw no one return to our table so we left.

The third night we selected what they offer as a "romantic private dinner by the shore" next to their Oceana restaurant. This is NOT free and you have to pay extra. Dinner includes the meat of a whole lobster tail and the price varies from $60.US to $120.US per person. We selected the middle price of $80.US which simply gave us an additional choice of appetizer and of dessert. We again asked for a bottle of white wine with dinner which, again, is the same brand and type served in the resort at all bars.

The fourth night we returned to the Oceana this time for a regular seafood meal. Although told by the staff upon checking in and by the inept and poorly informed hotel consigliere that this restaurant featured whole fried fish we were told this night that they did not have any and we had to select the only choice which was grouper fried fillets; no other choice. Again we asked for a white bottle of the same house wine.

Only this time the waitress from the Italian restaurant which we had not seen since the second night came to us upon seeing us and told us that we had to pay for the three bottles of wine of the past three nights including this one. We stated that this was an all inclusive but was told that if we asked for a whole bottle we had to pay $35.US for each bottle but if we ordered glasses of wine, without limitations, it was free. Then she gave us vouchers to use against the cost and the cost per bottle was $25.US even though all is supposed to be included.

The pools are poorly kept. They are not cleaned at night and in the morning you find trash around and in the water including leaves and tree twigs from the day before. The pool inside (floor and sides) are deteriorated and with stains showing age, wear and tear. There is a highly announced "swim up bar" at the main pool bar but when you go there the staff which works the ground level above tells you that they cant come down and you have to come out of the pool and up to them to get a drink. So why is the swim up bar highly announced in their site and brouchers?

At night I would ask for a container of orange juice to take to the room with me and I would be told that I could only be given one regular 8 oz. glass and that if I wanted more I would have to come and get another. When I questioned about getting a regular container to take to the room I had to negotiate with the night bartender by walking to the side, waiting for him and upon returning he'd pass me a container in exchange for a $2.US dollar tip. This I had to do for three night.

Upon arriving in the room we found the air conditioner not only not turned on but that it took hours into the night in order for the room to cool down. Although there was an actual telephone in the unit it did not work and was told by the staff that at the present there are no lines going into our building (although our building was the most recently refurbished). The "fully stocked" mini bar was empty upon our arrival. We had no blankets, one towel and no bed covers. Not having a phone line in the room, I had to walk from our far extreme building to the office to make the request and I had to make the trip twice and still no results. I finally had to use my cellular calling long distance to the front desk and threatening chaos in the lobby if nothing was done. The mini bar was "stocked" with two bottles of beer, one Coca Cola, one Diet Coca Cola, one Sprite and two small bottles of water.

We both used the Spa facility and each paid for a 50 minute session. We then learned that this included from the time we walked in, showered, got ready to paying so the actual "spa" treatment time was no more than 30 minutes and this is not free and not included in the all inclusive. We didn't expect it to be but we didn't get what we were promised and contracted.

Being fluent in English and Spanish I talked to many other hotel guests during our stay. Many from the United States, others from the Netherlands, others from Colombia and Venezuela. ALL that I talked to expressed the same dissatisfaction with the whole quality of the resort and not being what they had been told would be. ALL stated that they would not return.

We did learn that the resort previously was part of the Breezes Resort chain and in the past four months had been sold to the Sunscape Resorts chain and was currently in a "transition" period. This is NOT explained in the package offerings. Some of the staff stated that when this was Beeches, the quality of food and liquor was premium quality and since the "change" it was evident that the quality had downgraded in all aspects.

WE WILL NEVER RETURN TO THIS MESS AND IF YOU WANT TO CONSIDER THIS PLACE, SKIP IT. YOU'RE BETTER OFF GOING TO ANOTHER PLACE IN CURACAO EVEN IF IT'S NOT ALL INCLUSIVE BUT THAT HAS ANYTHING BETTER THAN THIS MISLEADING DUMP.

LARRY AND AMELIA HERRERO
MIAMI, FLORIDA

Room Tip: Our tip is simply NOT to stay at this mess of a resort anytime soon. As they are in a "transit...
11  Thank vamean
Reviewed May 3, 2013

When looking for a destination, I had read mixed reviews about this resort.
Needless to say, we were pleasantly surprised. After our initial shock on a smaller facility than what we are use to, we realized Sunscape exceeded our expectations. We truly enjoyed our private check in (preferred club) and amenities that went along with that, very clean facilities (A), delicious food (A) and wonderful snorkeling right off the beach (A). Some minor inconveniences were: wifi only available in preferred club lounge or lobby area, bar service not always ideal and they ran out of top shelf drinks on one occasion in the early afternoon and there was not enough staff to cover the number of registered guests on several occasions. Again, minor inconveniences.
The room was kept well by housekeeping staff for the most part. They did forget to re-stock the mini fridge daily, but unless we went into town, it was no problem to get your beverage choice at the bar or restaurant.
The food was much better than expected. We did not have high hopes, given some prior guests complaints about stomach ailments, but we felt that all of our meals were well prepared and the staff gives you hand sanitizer prior to entering the dining facilities. There is also citronella candles for bugs, which we did not see at any time.
We cannot stress enough that there are people who still do not practice good hand hygiene, so it's hard to say what their ailment came from.
The staff was always very pleasant and said "It's a pleasure" when asking for anything from extra towels to beverages, etc. All staff members speak several languages and English is one of them. This is a far cry from treatment by staff at other resorts in Mexico and throughout the Caribbean. None of the staff expected a tip in return for what I would call "basic customer service".
The public restrooms were another pleasant surprise, as there seemed to be someone cleaning them on a regular basis with Clorox bleach. This is great for those of us with OCD tendencies.
Our room (Bldg 8) was quiet and had recent renovations. It appeared that the tile work in the bathroom and vanity area had been recently re-done and I did not feel the need to put on "shower shoes" as I have in some other resorts.
We also ventured off the resort and rented a car for the day. We felt very safe and all of the locals were very friendly. Some difficulties navigating with the map however, as there are not many street signs throughout Curacao.
We did hear other guests complaining about the check in process and a group of ladies stated their reservation was "lost", but the staff tried to accommodate and get them rooms. It did not necessitate the verbal abuse that ensued from the guests to the staff members. I was appalled that people could be so rude.
People were complaining about wifi service also, but when you are on vacation in a remote location, you should be grateful there is any service at all.
We had some hard rainfall for almost a full day and rain started coming in through the roof, leaking into some light fixtures in the Cafe, which was a little questionable, but new management was making little improvements there daily, and I'm sure they will put this on the list of needed repairs.
As with any "review" it is subjective. We went in with low expectations and like many resorts in the Caribbean, a 5 star rating is not always what you get. I guess that's the way we should view future trips because our expectations were exceeded by far.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the renovated rooms Building 7 or 8
7  Thank Kristi C
Reviewed May 3, 2013

We stayed at Sunscape from April 18-28, 2013. We had paid for a garden view room, but upon check in they gave us an ocean front room and we could not have been happier! We were in Bldg 3, ground floor at the far end away from the pool (Rm 3110) and it was the PERFECT location! It was great having a walkout to our own patio AND being right on the beach! The room may have been a little outdated, but it was clean and we didn't mind that everything wasn't brand new.

The service is pretty slow at times - the staff not very attentive or eager to take care of you, but if you're not in a hurry all the time and don't mind standing in line for drinks, you should get along fine. There is no drink service on the beach or poolside. You have to go to one of the various bars to get your own drinks (which may or may not be watered down - but if you ask for more rum or whatever in your drink, they will oblige and put as much in as you like - but you have to tell them or they don't put much in). You may also have to ask to have your room fridge re-stocked if there isn't beer/soda/juice/water in it every day.

We had read lots of review on TripAdvisor before going on this trip so we knew we weren't going to a 5-star resort going in, but we enjoyed our stay at Sunscape very much. Some people had suggested tipping the bartenders for better service, however, in our experience that didn't really do much good. It all depends on the individual bartender. We found that many of the staff were not very friendly and seemed like working was the last thing they wanted to be doing. Even if it's a matter of a language barrier, just a smile would go a LONG WAY to making people feel welcome. There were a lot of staff that would barely acknowledge you and never even smile or act like they wanted to be the least bit helpful. There were some exceptions, however, one being our maid, Graciela, who was very friendly and took very good care of our needs and our room. Two others were the bartenders in the lobby bar - firstly, Jonathon, who was very fun and friendly and attentive not only to the guests but to the cleanliness of the bar area. He was always quick with a smile and made conversation with us - not to mention that he took excellent care of us where drinks were concerned. Also, another bartender at the lobby bar, Chin Peng (sp?), was very friendly and attentive. Both of these guys acted like they really enjoyed their jobs, which was nice change of pace compared to most of the staff (most notably, the "chefs" at the oceanside grill during the day).

The food was pretty decent but be aware that there is a time between about 5:30 and 6:30 when all the restaurants are closed and you can't find anything to eat during that time, so plan accordingly (or bring something back to your room from the buffet and stick it in the fridge) if you find yourself needing to eat around that time of day. We ate at the oceanside grill a lot because of this - bad timing on our part - and the one thing that we noticed (and that possibly made us both spend some time in the bathroom later that night) was that the chef used the same pair of tongs to flip our burgers, add cheese, and serve them as he used to put raw chicken on the grill. This is not a good practice - they should have a separate set of tongs for use with the raw chicken only!

Although the buffet is not as large as at your typical all-inclusive in Mexico, the food that is offered is an adequate variety and unlike in Mexico it's actually seasoned well. The omelettes in the morning and the pasta bar at night were both really good and worth standing in line for if there is a wait.

We were most disappointed with the seafood restaurant - they didn't even have two of the entrees listed on the menu - octopus and red snapper (our served said they had never had them since she had worked there) and the "breaded squid" was horribly greasy and I had to just take all the breading off to be able to even eat any of it. The tilapia was good, though, as was the mixed seafood cocktail. We only ate there once, so I can't say about anything else.

The Italian restaurant was not bad, but we were surprised that there were no breadsticks or garlic bread served with the meal. Perhaps due to the humidity of the island? Our server was not very pleasant or friendly, though.

The Japanese restaurant was definitely the best. Be aware that they don't take "reservations" yet they only seat you at certain times (i.e. 8:30 p.m.) and then they seat everyone all at once. They are also very strict about the men wearing long pants. But the food is really good and the preparation is entertaining and interesting.

Some suggestions I would make:

1) Bring insect repellent. I was eaten up by mosquitoes and something else that left big red blotches all over my feet and legs - some of them were very itchy, others no itch but a big blotch with a little blister in the middle. They may have some insect repellent in the gift shop (I didn't look) but the gift shop is pretty expensive!

2) Water shoes should be worn if you are going in the ocean. Not only is there coral along the center of the beach (there are sandy "beach" areas at either far end of the resort where you can walk into the water and avoid most of the coral), plus there is a lot of broken glass mixed in with the coral along the beach. Plus, there are lots of sea urchins (and other stuff) under the water that you may not be aware of - if you're not snorkeling you probably won't see them until it's too late. If you are snorkeling, be aware that the lion fish is poisonous - you might want to google it to see what it looks like.

3) The beds are really hard (to me, anyway) and apparently they don't have any foam mattress toppers (the 3 staff members we asked about them had either no idea what we were talking about, or it was a language barrier). You may want to bring a blow up air mattress if you need a soft bed. Also, there are no blankets on the beds (only a heavy top sheet) but if you ask for blankets, they will give you some.

4) Ladies, don't bother bringing heels or really dressy clothes, jewelry, etc., unless you REALLY want to wear them because flip flops and a sundress where acceptable at all the restaurants for women. The weather was also consistently warm and I never needed a sweater or a wrap. Guys must have long pants to eat at the Japanese or the Italian restaurant. The seafood restaurant was more lax on this policy. Honestly, you will probably spend more time in your beach clothes than anything else so leave the real dressy stuff at home because chances are you won't wear it.

5) If you go on the "bus tour" that you can book through the hotel, I would advise not buying too much at the first gift shop the tour takes you to because you can find all the same stuff when they take you to Willemstad and I suspect it's much cheaper in town.

6) If you plan to go out into the city or sight-seeing, wear sneakers or comfortable walking shoes!

7) There is a grocery store within walking distance of the hotel (a long walk, though) if you need to buy anything like sunscreen or whatever - MUCH cheaper than the hotel gift shop. Be prepared that it's pretty dirty (broken glass and other trash) once you venture off the hotel property, but we did not feel like we were in any danger or anything and the locals seemed friendly.

8) There is a free shuttle to and from the airport - go outside and look for the person holding the Sunscape sign and they will direct you. There is also free wi-fi at the airport in Curacao if you need to send emails when you get there - but you have to pay for internet connection at the hotel and we heard from some other people that it was pretty expensive.

Room Tip: Building 3 is right on the beach - ground floor has great walkout to private patio and beach.
7  Thank Karen W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Willemstad
Lions Dive & Beach Resort Curacao
Papagayo Beach Resort
#10 of 32 in Willemstad
Renaissance Curacao Resort & Casino
Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao

Been to Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino? Share your experiences!