“Good Hotel”

Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Willemstad
New York City, New York
“Good Hotel”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Sunscape is a good all inclusive hotel with very friendly staff. Prior to our arrival, we contacted the manager Kurk concerning transportation; he was prompt in replying to us. Checking took forever since there were only two people at the counter for a bus load of people. I believe the staff is over worked but they kept their cool. We had a two bedrooms corner suite and were very happy with our view. The ocean water is crystal clear with white sandy beaches. I would suggest bring water shoes as the entrance into the ocean is a little rocky. The resort offers free water activities only they were unattended. We took a paddle boat out and back, no were there to help us. Food was OK nothing to brag about. The tropical tour staff was very helpful. They help us plan most of excursions. Since this resort doesn’t give bracelets, it was very annoying to be stop by security every time you are coming to the hotel from an excursion. They literally had to check our name and room number of a printout

Room Tip: Sunscape is a good all inclusive hotel with very friendly staff. Prior to our arrival, we contacted...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Gilu007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,366)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Calgary
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We just returned from a week at the Sunscape and had a wonderful time. I think it really depends on what you are looking for in your vacation. We choose Curacao because we heard the snorkelling and diving was fantastic. The snorkelling right off the beach at the resort was incredible! The resort was clean, staff were all very polite and very friendly (most spoke 3 or 4 languages) our food was good and our room was nice, clean and had all the necessities. For a reasonable price with all food and drinks included it was great place to stay! We were in the Flamingo bldg and it was really quiet at that end and you pretty much had the pool to yourself. We've travelled a fair bit and this isn't a luxury resort (yet) and renovations are still underway, but it is a very nice resort and would return again. We rented a car for the week and toured the island a lot and I would definitely recommend getting out and about.

6 Thank Calgary_Sports_Fan
Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

After reading reviews we wondered if we had made a bad decision. People who say this place is great ,wow where else have you been.To think someone posted this is such a great improvement from Breezes,can't even imagine what it was like before. Totally mismanaged. Bad experience from start to finish,we made the best of it. Almost everyone we talked to we're not impressed and disappointed.Upon arrival, you're sent to another area and given a from to be filled out on a bumpy ride to resort. Good luck! Check in is total K-OS.Finally got our rooms build 5&6, ocean view,ground floor,blocked by trees & bar.Went right back to front desk to change immediately,We paid good money to be here and didn't want to waist our hard earned money or time getting rooms the next day.Friends finally got on 3rd floor bldg.6 & we had to pay extra to get ocean front bldg.7,this only took 3 hours of our first day. Went for a burger and a beer at oceana beach bar,and they had ran out of glasses,what a joke. By the way last call is at 5:30 pm? Norma try's,but really needs a helper to ease the line ups,this is the only beach bar. Again management! Our room was ok,bed was a king and like sleeping on a concrete floor. The view of sea and sunsets were amazing. This end of the beach is the best,clear water and plenty of fish to see. Take some bread to feed fish. Also bring water shoes,some spots are rocky and there are sea urchins you don't need to step on. Mini bar fridge was re stocked speradically. Never got any water for 3 days and had to chase down a maid to get our daily limit of 2 beers. Took a couple of days to get some soap,shampoo and wash cloths,this only took 3 calls to front desk on day 3. We also managed to get a topper on our bed when we were locked out of our room on the 3 rd day, all because they wanted the registration sheet handed in that they gave back to us on day 1, After a meeting with Michael. All bars ran out of beer liqueur or something throughout the week. Jonathan at the main lobby bar was the best,we went to town and got him a cake for his 25th birthday. Dennis at the bluewater had a great grill goin in the afternoon,went out of his way. The buffet was ok but lacked selection. Ran out of bananas at breakfast one morning and not much fresh fruits. One morning I manage to get a fresh mango,the best I've ever tasted,but never came across them again. We ate at all the restaurants. Reservations should be the mandatory . Extremely long wait times,service was off and food was just OK. This was our night time entertainment as you were lucky to be seated by 8:30 and out by 10:30! We never really seen much of the entertainment staff as we were at the beach ,therefore we never knew of any activities. Also we received daily activity sheets the day after! The swim up bar wasn't even open and didn't look like it had been in some time,like really!!! There really wasn't much going on in the evenings,kinda quiet...We are only in our 50's and like to have a good time. Kinda nice how some people let their young kids run WILD all night long with no concern for others. Also some individuals grab 4 chairs on the beach under the shaded huts daily when they are only 2 and hardly use them,self centred or what and give you the gears when you infringe on their shade. Please! Some how we were never made aware of the first and last day meeting,so we were not able to get on the shuttle to the airport and had to take a cab. One of the ladies in the front lobby was extremely rude to my friend,wish I knew your name. Also the wi-fi @ $40 a week sucks. Only could log on in a small section in the lobby. Lets get with the times. All in all we made the best of the situation,very disappointed in what we paid for. We will not be returning or recommending this place to others...Save your hard earned dollars and seek another location.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Letsgotothesun
Ingersoll, Canada
Reviewed April 24, 2013

04/14 - 04/23 - Smoking deal 9 days for $1300. 1st impressions were not good. Shuttle was small and cramped, but they also use a coach bus. 2000 series rooms not so good, our room 2227 smelled moldy and had a view of the kitchen roof - we went back to our Sunquest rep. and she was more than accommodating. She managed to get us and our friends room changed to 5000 series, much better. 1st person we met was Raymond who was very helpful getting luggage to both our rooms and full of advice. He dazzled my wife and her friend with his charm, smile and as my wife says " those eyes!" Weather was fabulous, no rain, windy, and lots of heat. Food was ok, could use more fruit selection in the buffet. Steak was poor at the grill, but seafood was very good. The Italian was average and the Japanese was fun, the food was salty but plenty to eat. Norma at Oceania bar is a hoot, you have to see her " always a pleasure baby girl". Entertainment was good every night especially the beach party, don't miss it, John, Gegey, Omar and O'brien were awesome. Took a tour with Ramsey, private - best tour ever. Don't waste your time with the bus tour, this one is cheaper and way better. Talk to Kurt the Manager he can hook you up. He took us to all the local spots you cant see on your own, and the best snorkeling I have ever seen at the tug boat beach. We visited the sea aquarium 10 minutes down the road from the resort - easy walking distance. The dolphin show was the highlight, but they also had nurse sharks, mantareys, pelicans etc. Well worth the $20 admission. All staff were very friendly and always helpful. Resort needs updating but that's coming, under renovations now, would like to see it in a few years. The only negative they run out of things at all the bars often, Co2, then beer, then coke and sprite, but there is always something to have. We never saw the pool bar open all week. Only beer is Amstel, which I didn't mind. Tipping not expected but always appreciated. City bus into town is only $1.50, very easy to use. Overall we felt the resort was good, we had a great time with friends and met a lot of nice and interesting people. The island feels very safe, people really friendly and always willing to help you. What a beautiful country! Will return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
8 Thank Paul S
Toronto
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Stayed one week from April 14 to 21. From the time we booked to the time we arrived we were concerned with the mixed reviews, however upon arriving my concerns disappeared. I emailed the resort prior to arriving and was pleasantly surprised when I received what I requested. We stayed in the Pelican building (2nd) floor which was a renovated room (except the tiles in the closet - still the old tiling?). The location was perfect, we looked into the Oceana Restaurant and had a view of the beach. The resort provides a free in room safe which is great. The beds were not comfortable - too hard, my back was hurting by the end of the week. Hooks need to be installed in the bathroom so you can hang your clothes and towel when showering (just a suggestion).

The ocean water is crystal clear with white sandy beaches. I would suggest bring water shoes as the entrance into the ocean is a little rocky. The resort offers free water activities (i.e. Paddle boats, kayaking, windsurfing etc) which is a great bonus.

The weather was great, always a constant breeze, however there is not enough beach umbrellas to block you from the shade (on the beach or even by the pools) and the ones that are there, we found that if you didn't get to the beach before 7 am you wouldn't get a umbrella. We were convinced people put out their towels from the night before. I also found that some people would "hold on" to chairs and never be seen until the afternoon; seriously! if you are not going to sit out on the beach until the afternoon do not hold on to the chairs! It is extremely annoying! This also goes for the chairs around the pool some people would hold on to chairs for their "friends" who would be eating dinner or who would come out hours later, resulting in others not having a place to sit. Unfortunately, we did encountered a number of rude people and they seemed to be from a certain country.

The kids club was impressive, probably one of the best ones I've seen, the World Cafe even has a food section catering to the kids, which is great.

The night entertainment is done around the pool, they bring in different music entertainers, which is nice, but it would be nice if there was more entertainment (live shows/performances) and more seating for everyone. Some nights if you didn't get there early enough you didn't have a place to sit. It would also be great if they got more cushions for the chairs and loungers as they get to be uncomfortable after a while.

The only problem we encountered was on the second morning, we left a note for the maid for face towels (as they were not replaced) and for water (as we never got any) when we got back to the room the items requested where not left, so we called the maid extension and were told they would bring us some, an hour later, nothing, we tried to call them again however no answer. We called the front desk and they first told us that you have to request them (seriously! we have to request water and towels??) we indicated to the girl that we did request them by leaving a note asking for them, the front desk indicated she would call them; 20 minutes later nothing, we called the front desk again and Michelle, indicated she left them a message, when I asked how long it will be (we wanted to take a shower) she indicated she didn't know and hung up on me (rude but I'm on vacation so I was not going to let it get to me). The water did eventually make its way up that night. The following day we went to the VIP section because our key did not work and mentioned to them about the towels and they indicated someone would bring them up. When we got back to our room that afternoon they were there. We didn't have any problems after that.

The lunch and dinner buffet definitely needs work, the food available it not good, nor is there a good/large section, definitely have had better - even Cuba's buffet is better and that is saying a lot. We lunched at the grills so we never went hungry however by day four we were tried of chicken sandwiches and french fries. Thank goodness you have unlimited access to the restaurants for dinner, all the restaurants were great. A suggestion is providing steak knives at the restaurants, it is a little difficult to cut a steak with a butter knife. The staff never made us feel like we had to tip (however we always did - they are providing a service).

I know for a few days they ran out of beer, but not being a beer drinker it didn't affect me. I understand everything is imported but someone should have be on top it.

For the most part everyone working on the resort is pleasant, definitely want to mention the following: Raymond, he was one of the bellman who greeted us when we arrived and every time I saw him he acknowledged us with a smile and asked how things were going; Norma at the Oceana Bar was great, always pleasant, friendly, happy and truly made you feel that she wanted to serve you; Iona at the Oceana Grill, she was always pleasant, ensured that when you came to the grill she acknowledged you and asked for your order right (didn't find that at the Bluewater grill, the guy there (won't mention his name) seemed to serve and cook for one person at a time and sometimes was busy socializing with the other workers), Iona is great at multi-tasking and remembering what everyone ordered, at times I don't know how she did it especially when you had people "barking" out what they want; and lastly, unfortunately I didn't get her name :( she was serving the tables a few nights near the pool (hair in a ponytail) always smiling, I spotted her in the buffet section and asked for ice cream (which is amazing!!!) and she told me she would bring it to me, I indicated I was sitting outside and she said no problem! An example of someone going out of their way!

Once this resort is complete and has ironed out all the kinks, it has the potential to be a great resort. If you are expecting a 5 star or have high expectation then you will be disappointed and I would not recommend this resort. It was not the best resort I've been to (and I've been to a lot), but it definitely was not the worst one either; you have to remember you are on vacation.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank doulove2travel
Indiana
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We stayed at the Sunscape Curacao resort the first week of April. In the months before we left, we panicked a little because of all the negative reviews. Ours fears were unfounded. Not that everything was perfect, there were things that were fantastic and a disappointment here and there. Our complimentary shuttle from the airport had us in the Sunscape lobby about 25 minutes after we retrieved our luggage at the airport. About fifteen people were on that shuttle and check in was pretty smooth. The staff served lemonade, champagne and cookies as we checked in. Smiling Raymond was the first staff member to greet us right off the bus and helped with our bags and advice on the restaurants. Raymond was friendly and helpful all week. I cannot say enough about Shugaylly, Chris and Sonaly at the front desk. Hours before we left the United States we found out about a medical emergency with one of our family members. We knew phone contact would stop once we left Miami, but the front desk staff and manager Kurt Klaber went above and beyond to help us keep in touch with things in the States. There were others who were helpful at the desk, I am sorry I do not have their names, but their kindness was greatly appreciated. You will hear staff members say “My pleasure” many times a day, they work to please. A big “thank you” to the gift shop ladies who helped us come up with 100 one cent pieces to take back as a souvenir for our students in the States!

The lowdown:
The weather was phenomenal. We have been to the Caribbean at the same time of year for many years and have never had seven days of perfection as we had in Curacao.

The beach was great. Rocky (it is an island made from coral, you have to expect this one) at the buildings close to the main dining areas, but move down toward the Pelican and Flamingo buildings and there are great spots to walk and swim without the need for water shoes. There are palapas and some very comfortable sun beds spread around. It is not hard to find shade or sun at any time of the day. We only had trouble getting clean beach towels if we waited until late in the day to go for some.

The snorkeling right off the beach is easy and good. We saw species of fish here we have never seen before. The absolute best snorkeling for fish and coral is on the outside of the rock break. You do want water shoes to do this.

The room was nice. We asked for a room in the last building (Flamingo). It was away from the crowds, had an almost private pool (at most there were four people in it at any one time) and was very quiet, except for the occasional barking of the security dog at the edge of the property. We had an ocean view and a completely remodeled room, very attractive and clean.
We are pretty particular about clean rooms, so this was important to us. The toilet paper holder had not been installed in the bathroom, but that was a minor inconvenience. When we arrived they told us the phone in our room was not working, but that was not a problem for us. We had a mini fridge which was restocked daily. Never a problem with maid service or bath towels. We did request washcloths the first day and had fresh ones every day after that without asking. Our bedside lamp was not working, I asked for a new light bulb, but when that still did not work, a maintenance man showed up within ten minutes of my reporting this and repaired our lamp on the spot!

The free “bus” to Willemstad was fun. You need to sign up a day or two ahead, as the bus (minivan) fills quickly. But the local bus stops across the street from the resort and many people used that if the resort bus was filled. Willemstad is a fascinating city. We visited the Chobolobo Mansion where Curacao liqueur is packaged. Not a place to “tour” but an interesting story and local experience.

The food varied depending on the day. There was always a good choice for breakfast and lunch at the World Café buffet, but dinners there were pretty hit or miss. Luis, the restaurant manager, was everywhere keeping things going. We were able to eat at all the restaurants and found the opening times did not always match up with the advertised times. If you want to be seated for the early dinner, you do need to be in line 15-20 minutes before opening, but you wait in line at home for a good dinner, too! The red snapper at the Oceana was excellent, Sasha, our server was delightful. The Italian Da Mario was just OK, the Bluewater Grill had a good ribeye and the Japanese Himitsu was fun and more food than we could eat! A big “thank you” to Ingrid at Himitsu for helping us find a seat for dinner there on a very busy night. She does her job well and we appreciate that! One thing to note, there are some nights that different restaurants are closed. We found this out the hard way, check the daily events paper to see what is open and what is closed to avoid disappointment! We tried every possible food at the beach grill for lunch. The fish sandwich (mahi mahi) and french fries were the best! We loved Norma (Baby Love) at the Oceana grill. She took great care of us. We really missed her on her days off!

We met some wonderful guests, but our lack of fluency in a second language limited our ability to communicate in some instances. It was nice to meet up at dinner or while watching the evening entertainment.

We used the resort bikes one day to explore a little. A nice way to get out and around.

The bottom line is some people will never be pleased. I watched as guests complained about having to wait at the front desk, complained about waiting for a restaurant to open and even complaining about what time they had to be on the shuttle from the resort for their return flight home (the resort did not choose your flight time, you did!), just like the States you have to be at the airport two hours ahead. Unfortunately, and embarrassing to us, it seemed that visitors from the United States were the most demanding and at times, the most unreasonable.

Your time spent at this resort will be what you make it. All the pieces are there to give you a relaxing vacation, so just enjoy!

Room Tip: flamingo and pelican buildings are very peaceful
11 Thank seaglasscollectors
ontario canada
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Stayed March 31-April 7, 2013.
Great weather, great location and beautiful grounds but not to the par of the rating by the Resort YET. Thanks to the Rooms Manager Kurt, HR Director Clyrette and Tiffany who corrected some of our issues and made our stay till the end. Thanks to the Ladies at the Oceana Bar for their great Service.

We have decided that a second trip to this Resort will happen as a result of the "PROMISE" that when we return after November 2013 it will be a 5 Star Resort. Upon our return to Canada we will give a thorough Review if indeed they have fulfilled the promise.

I can only advise, read all the good and the bad and do your own exploration.

S.L
Canada

Room Tip: Pay extra for the better room!!!
2 Thank sasha l
Also consider these accommodations in or near Willemstad
Van der Valk Kontiki Beach Resort
Lions Dive & Beach Resort Curacao
Scuba Lodge & Suites
Scuba Lodge & Suites
#2 of 32 in Willemstad
Floris Suite Hotel - Spa & Beach Club
Renaissance Curacao Resort & Casino
Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao

Been to Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino? Share your experiences!