“Maxine” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 33 Hotels in Willemstad
trinidad
“Maxine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

I spent from the 1st April to the 4 th April in room 5202 at the Sunscape. It was excellent!!! The service was one of the best i have experienced , special mention of Nouvolette who was stationed at one of the restaurants and also Raymond who did his best to ensure everyone was ok!!! Great service, great food and great entertainment!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank maxines271

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,302)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Des Moines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

My wife, son and I stayed here in March of 2013. Had a great time. The resort is in nice shape. The food and drinks we good too. The service is was pretty good. Some times you had to wait for drinks a little but over all it was good and the people working there were friendly. The daily schedule for activities was not always followed, but this may be because there was no one asking about it.

The location is good. Walking distance to the Sea Aquarium and a 10 minute minibus ride($2) to Willemstad. Just cross the street and wait at the little stand and a local van will pick you up.

Our 5 yr old son and he loved it too. The Explores kids club was the best. The folks working with the kids were great. (Marvett, Yakira, Cynthia, Giselle, Tieson, Roxanne, ect were really great with the kids. They did arts and crafts, took them rock climbing, swimming, fed fish at the beach, etc. They went to the sea aquarium one day, and had a VIP dinner one night that the kids had a ball. He really liked it.
Great snorkeling is right on the beach. If you like to swim, go on the back side of the rocks or a little to the east past the dive shop and the snorkeling is amazing.
The staff has a lot of fun activities each day. Pool games were fun, beach volleyball was great with the staff. They didn't like losing to the guests but took it well. Sailing is excellent. Just sign up and the staff will take you out for a 20-30 minute sail on the catamaran. Be ready to get wet!

The food was decent, and the drinks were good too. Show up early for dinner so you don't have to wait. We like the Oceana seafood the best. The schedule of what is open each night was not always followed, so be prepared to change plans of where you are eating.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank Indoffian
Trinidad
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

My buddies and i stayed at this resort room 5103 Monday 1st to Thursday 04th April 2013 ,it was great ,food was fantastic although we did get to try the Grill food,the little time i spent in the beach was amazing, i must say that it was a bit too short wish it could have been a longer vacation, met really nice people at the hotel especially at the bar . The drinks could be a little more on the "johnny walker" side of things Dewar's just doesn't cut it, mix drinks on the other hand were amazing although i'm not a fan but it was dam good!!! "Dark sky". Check out time was too much on the edge, 12:00 pm was too much of a hassle it should be more to the evening around 6:00 pm so that we could enjoy the last of the hotel the beach,the sand, the scenery, the pools and the great staff and not forgetting the Casino :). Waking up as early to have everything organised in a rush was not exciting at all for us. Suncape please review your check out time and i will be a regular there ...

Big up to the Bartenders they are hard workers, and to Miss. Darling at the front desk you are a darling :) thank you for checking us in you did it with a warm beautiful smile couldn't ask for anything more. Didn't get to say goodbye to you so goodbye my darling :)..

Thank you Suncape for great vacation,excellent service!!!

I will recommend you all anytime .......

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank TroySingh
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

My wife and I just returned to Toronto from a week at the Sunscape and overall we had a great time. We are both active travellers and - although we have been to some really high end resorts - are willing to adjust our sights when we choose a 3 or 4 star resort. The Sunscape is billed as a 4 star but in reality is probably closer to a 3 1/2. As many have mentioned, the renovated rooms are far nicer and we were lucky to end up in one after first being assigned a room in the old section near the main pool. The beach does have a bit of coral as you enter, but the payoff once you get in is great. The water is crystal clear and a breakwater creates a natural lagoon with lots of opportunities to snorkel with a surprising number and variety of fish. And great for novice snorkelers. There are also windsurfers, kayaks and paddle boats that can be used at no charge.The food and restaurants are not bad and we had fun trying out the four different restaurants - seafood, Italian, Japanese and steak. The main buffet had lots of choice, the food was always hot and fresh and most tables had a view out to the ocean - what's not to like? The staff at the hotel really won us over - unfailingly helpful, cheerful and enthusiastic - all the while dealing with all of the demanding guests. We had lots of fun exchanges, with waiters, bartenders and front desk staff who were always able to handle the small issues we had. The hotel caters to a very varied clientele and the week we were there there were tourists from Holland, France, Belgium, Canada, Venezuela, Trinidad, the US, Germany along with lots of locals. It is also very family-friendly so not an adults-only atmosphere if that is what you are looking for. Can't comment on the onsite dive shop as I used The Dive Bus, across the street from the resort (recommended). Curacao itself is beautiful and we rented a car for a couple of days to explore the many beaches in the west end of the island. So to sum up, if you come with the right attitude and understand the type and scale of resort you are coming to - you will/can have a fantastic time. We did!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
10 Thank smartcar8
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

We spent a week at this resort and we considered it to be average. Nothing to get too excited about.
We stayed at the Pelican building, we upgraded to Ocean View rooms. The rooms are very standard with a large balcony. The floor tiles are old but the rest of the room looked as if it was recently renovated. There was an LCD TV located to the side of the bed, which made watching it from the bed very uncomfortable.
The beach is nice, with lots of chairs. Lots of options for shade either under the huts or under the palm trees.
They have a very good gym. Also they offer a lot of free activities such as snorkeling, paddle boats, free diving equipment to dive from the shore, wind surfing, etc.
The food is average. The buffet selection is very poor compared to other hotels I visited. Also, it is not easy to get a seat at the Japanese, Grill or Italian a la carte restaurants. We tried the 3 of them but the food was nothing to write home about.
The service is average, some of the servers are helpful others are there for a long period of time and look very tired. For example the lady that served coffee was there all day long for 2 days in a row since early morning until midnight. I felt sorry for her standing there all day long.
We paid quite a bit of money to go to this hotel and we thought it was too much.
We still manage to have a great time, Curacao is amazing! We did a bit of exploring outside the resort and next time we go, we will not stay at an all inclusive.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Globetrotter_DBA
Port of Spain, Trinidad
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in sunscape hotel . Upon arrival the staff greeted us "welcome home " and check in was smooth. Food was the best just like home they have mash potatoes roast chicken fish steak and curry chicken. The grill food was awesome especially the grill chicken. The Japanese restaurant was the best compliments to the chef Shermon san . Room cleaned everyday and fridge stocked with drinks. Snorkeling and watersports were also great. The core zone is awesome as well and there is rock climbing and the staff is Superrrr helpful. The people with the bad reviews I believe their are fake to bring down the awesome reputation if this hotel. The place is the best. Will definately be returning .

• Stayed April 2013
5 Thank lukeTnT
Middletown, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

Let me start by saying I am a travel agent, and have traveled to many tropical locations & stayed at other beautiful resorts, so I have something to compare this to. My husband and I took our 3 children aged 11, 9 & 6, to Sunscape Curacao for a week stay, March 26-April 2nd and had a really nice time. There were many positives that make me recommend this resort, but after reading many reviews & experiencing a week there, I can see why there is a pattern of similar negative comments. I think it's best to break down by pros & cons...sorry if this is long, but if you are really considering this I am giving you some good honest feedback:

PROS: Location is absolutely stunning. The moment you walk into the resort you feel like you are instantly on vacation. The water is gorgeous & crystal clear, and although the beach was a little rough in parts, the water more than makes up for a little rocky sand. There were lots of beautiful fish to see, and my kids spent hours each day (as did we), snorkeling and enjoying the beach. We changed location from the Tower to the Flamingo building, which was MUCH better, renovated & secluded & the beach was better there. The kids would go take a kayak or peddle boat out and have fun while my husband and I relaxed and watched, as the water is very calm. Even the 6 yr old kayaked alone! The catamaran sailing was fun, too. I need to give a BIG THANK YOU to the Explorer's Club - the people who work there were fantastic! At any time in the day my kids wanted to go off and do crafts or play games or rock climb, there was alway something going on at the Explorer's Club. My kids did a camp out, which even allowed us a romantic dinner alone for one night, which was priceless. I highly recommend if you have children that you consider this when choosing a resort. The people who run the kids programs are very nice, caring, and each speak a few languages, which helped tremendously in making the kids feel comfortable and making friends. The Easter activities were enjoyable and the kids had all good things to say about the time they spent there. We found the food at the Hibachi, Italian, and Oceana to be pretty good as well. We did not experience any watered down drinks. Lastly, I have to say the resort went out of their way to provide entertainment at all times of the day that you could participate in if you wished. The gym was very nice, but with such a great location I would have loved to do yoga on the beach.

CONS: Management, management management! Seems there is absolutely no communication going on at this resort. We did not let any of that get in the way of our vacation, though. I think the front desk staff was terrible, and slow. I told them many times that I was a travel agent and recommend people to Curacao often, told them it was a special week, as me & my husband were celebrating our 40th birthdays, and I called several times before arriving to confirm that we had connecting rooms on the first floor of a renovated building. LONG story short, the first room was the 5th floor on opposite sides of the building from each other. (FYI we wanted one room but were told b/c we had 5 people we needed 2 rooms and I did not want to separated from the kids so adjoining was a must). Then switched to 1st floor in an old, non-renovated room, no AC & still not adjoining. After 2 nights we moved to Flamingo building, but they sent us to 3 other rooms until we got a renovated room next to each other (not adjoining so me & my husband were separated the whole week). Meanwhile at dinner, people would tell me they don't know why they have connecting rooms when they didn't need one. Management told me, there were no connecting rooms at all left. This was quite annoying, and I had to let it go. Other things I would say would be menu selections were limited, as it was the same food each night. Variety would be so much better, especially since it costs so much to go there. Service at Oceana was VERY slow, and the waitress did not even know how any of the food was prepared when asked (there were only 8 items on the menu, too!). She even brought the kids liquor in ice cream, then said she didn't know what the desserts were! We let that go, too. Our room was clean, but there were lots of mosquitos. The room I stayed in had hanging wires instead of a light fixture, and the shower did not have a full door or finished hardware, it was just putty around the nozzle. No phone either. Let that go, as the view was amazing. Lastly, I recommend bringing your own masks/snorkels if you are going here. They say each person takes out a mask for an hour, but in reality you need to go back and check 10x because there is no accountability for where the masks are...you simply get lucky if there are masks available. If you have kids - they will definitely want them every day.

BOTTOM LINE: If you are looking for a beautiful location, very kid friendly, and you are not very high maintenance, this will be the perfect choice. I absolutely loved the convenience of the all inclusive, and the ease in getting around for the kids. The layout is really nice. Easy to get into town if needed or to the aquarium. We would definitely go back, but hope our suggestions help improve things there. If it were just my husband and I going, I would probably opt for another resort, as I think I would feel limited & there are nice dining options in town. For what we were looking for in a family vacation, CONVENIENCE - it was perfect.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank ramomama3
Also consider these accommodations in or near Willemstad
Van der Valk Kontiki Beach Resort
Lions Dive & Beach Resort Curacao
Scuba Lodge & Suites
Scuba Lodge & Suites
#3 of 33 in Willemstad
Floris Suite Hotel - Spa & Beach Club
Renaissance Curacao Resort & Casino
Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao

Been to Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino? Share your experiences!