“Most relaxing scenic resort in paradise!”

Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino
Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in Willemstad
West Indies
“Most relaxing scenic resort in paradise!”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

This is not the first time i've been at this resort and I must say over the years since my last visit, the standard has improved significantly! The only concern I have is that their a lot of workers who don't speak English so unless you know Dutch or Spanish it's pretty hard to communicate with them. Hence the service was Average based on my experience. Also, the wait to collect pool towels everyday was very long as clean pool towels were hardly ever available on the scheduled time. Otherwise an excellent getaway for a few days :)

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank Sharz14

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,409)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I have to say although I've known from previous experiences with trip advisor not to believe everything you read, I was still a bit skeptical about going to this resort. However upon arriving there, any doubt of having an awful stay was quickly squashed. I have travelled to over 20 countries and have stayed at minimum 25 resorts and I can assure you will not find a more sincere, welcoming and accommodating team, particularly those of the entertainment staff and buffet waitresses/ waiters. Before praising those deserving workers i do have to mention that a few of the bartenders (not norma or the 2 gentleman at the main bar) are working on island time which can get a little frustrating waiting 15 mins to get served when there was only one person ahead of you. Now to the ones that made the trip memorable: front desk staff, they were good, they responded quickly to requests. I askedthem to switch my fridge because it wasn't cold enough for my son's formula and 15 mins later they bring my those mid size fridges even witha freezer. Veronica, the girl needs to be promoted. She was always going out of her way to serve us and is amazing with guests of all ages, she always seemed to make my 3 month old smile. Ana, a server: nicest lady. Though we didn't understand everything she said, I have not met a sweeter and happier server. Luis, the restaurant manager, I cannot believe the negative comments I've previously read about him. The guy works hard at ensuring everything runs smoothly at not one but all the restaurants. He's on top of it all. Now for the men of the trip, the crew, the ones that made the trip amazing and worthwhile, Crazy G, John, Gino Bambino, O'Brian, Zeric and Chucho (who on the first day took time to take my family around the resort and show us everything). Big thanks to these guys who not only made you feel like welcomed guests but more as friends. I don't know any other entertainment crew member that would come on his day OFF not once but twice (once to come hang out and another time to see us off to the airport), to come stay with us, or work 12 hour days and then take us out in town to show us around and to many clubs (crazy g, John, Gino, thanks a mill). Can't wait for those vball rematches boys!

Now to sum up the hotel in general. People are working daily to obtain a high quality resort. The grounds were clean, always someone raking and washing the sidewalks. our room was a little small but always in good condition and tidied up well and believe me with a 3 month old we left that room a disaster everyday only to come back from the beach and have it immaculate.
The food was good, variety was limited but I am the pickiest eater, a Chef's worst nightmare and I managed to keep my stomach content and full the whole time. However, try to do something about the pigeons.
The biggest complaint would have to be the beach, IT NEEDS MORE SAND. It'd be unfortunate for the resort to make such efforts in maintaining a good hotel but lose guests because of the beach. I mean that's basically one of the reasons we all travel south: sun and good beach. Water is beautiful though, you can't get that good of a snorkeling experience that close to shore in many places. And free waterspouts, take advantage people.

So the resort needs a little work, it's slowly getting there. But the staff, exceptional, they made the trip unforgettable, for my family at least.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Stephanie_doraz
Woodstock, Canada
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Sunscape Curacao - EXCELLENT!!
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. From the moment we arrived Raymond greeted us with a friendly welcome and gave a quick tour of the resort so we knew where the restaurants and bars were located. Prior to coming, I had read a few somewhat negative reviews about this resort and I wondered after a couple of days if we were at the wrong resort.

The food:
All of the restaurants had great food. I especially liked the Japanese restaurant where Edward, Sherman and Mama Love contributed to a truly enjoyable evening. We were a group of twelve and sometimes fourteen and never had a problem being seated. Some previous reviews had mentioned waiting long periods for food. Not sure I agree with waiting for food as a complaint. I felt it was great not to be rushed and wine/drinks flowed nicely as we enjoyed socializing with our group. Breakfast and lunch buffet was basically the same everyday but always lots available and it all tasted good.

Entertainment/Bars:
The nightly shows were ok. The entertainment staff were very friendly and tried to get guests to participate in the events but never pushed too far to be a bother. Most of our group from Woodstock, Ontario, Canada and another group of Italian Canadians would join in nightly. O’Bryan, Gwengelo and Crazy G were very personal and friendly. Without them, I don’t believe we would have the great time that we did. They always took time throughout the whole day to stop and talk to us about events or share stories of the culture and personal experiences on the island. The main pool bar remained opened to 1:00am and then the disco stayed open later. We went to the disco once to check it out but most of the guests went back to their rooms by 11:00 or 12:00 so there wasn’t a lot going on. In my opinion, the lack of involvement from other guests (mostly the Dutch) could improve to make the events more lively, but you can’t blame the staff for this. If you did, then they would be blamed for being too pushy.
Premium alcohol at the bars was great. Baby Love, Chin and GioGio (aka Forrest) always greeted us with a big smile and were very personal. One complaint (more of an observation) was the shortage of glasses. Hint- as a guest don’t throw your empty glasses on the beach, in the pool, or leave them laying around the grounds and then complain there are no glasses. We just kept our glasses if they ran low and the bartender would rinse them out to refill them. (Bubba’s work too and they’re bigger).

Accommodations:
We stayed in the Pelican (7000) building and it was good. We had a room in the center on the third floor. A couple of nights we opened the whole end wall and had a terrific view of the sea and fell asleep to the sound of waves crashing into the shore. Our TV didn’t work when we arrived, but didn’t care until about the third day. When I finally called to have it looked at, they sent some someone right away and fixed it. The previous guest had apparently changed the settings. This wasn’t really a problem either, as I didn’t go to Curacao to watch TV and think I only turned it on twice after it was fixed.
Great vacation - thanks again and appreciation to all the staff!!
One last mention for Hubert. I met Hubert one of the first nights I was there smiling from ear to ear and each night afterwards. He was one of the friendliest we encountered along with O’Bryan, Gwengelo, Mama Love, Crazy G, Baby Love and Chin.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank gregwest959
Regina, Canada
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Just a quick note to say thank you to everyone who made our two week vacation the best two week vacation.

Ocean Encounters Staff: Purpose of our trip was for people to scuba dive. Thank you to Jeshe, Louise, Yolanda and Jeany to name a few for making this visit a success with all the shore dives, boat dives and letting us visit with you for great conversation. With Jeshe's support I discovered I like scuba diving.

Entertainment staff: ChooChoo - Entertainment director,Crazy G - Geno, Omar, O'Brian, John to name a few. From dancing everyday at 3, Papiamentu lessons at 10, name that cartoon character, yoga and water aerobics, the days were full of activities if you wanted to play. Always night entertainment with everything from cultural performances to great soloists ( Alex Montero, Luis Alberto Blanco and Michael Anthony to name a few).

Staff at the World Cafe: Thank you for chatting with me while I tried out my new Papiamentu words.

The resort had something for everyone. If we wanted a quieter day then we stayed down by the pool near building 8 or on the orange beach chairs. If we wanted activity then we headed towards the other end of the resort ( see entertainment staff notes)

There was plenty to eat and drink through the different venues

In the end the effort we put into the holiday by meeting new friends, getting involved in the activities and appreciating the sights and sounds of Curacao guarenteed we would have a great time

Danki

Room Tip: We were in building 7. We were so set on a ocean view room but in the end we never sat out on the b...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank JKD54
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I recently arrived home from my vacation at Sunscape Resorts from March 4th-11th. This resort exceeded all of my expectations! The staff is impeccable and the resort itself is greatly maintained; not once did I see any garbage, cigarette butts or things that did not belong. The resort is very big and BEAUTIFUL! The location is great for there are many places and activities to visit within walking distance or a short shuttle or bus ride to Punda/Willemstad. Sunscape also offers free bicycles to explore with which I enjoyed very much. My stay here was a lot of fun with the many daily activities offered as well as free water sports. I got to scuba dive for my first time and receive pool training, all for free to my surprise, which was another great thing this resort has to offer. The staff is impeccable and genuinely cared to ensure my stay was nothing less than perfect. The food was very good although I wish there was more variety for the breakfast buffet and more cultured Caribbean cuisine. The food service itself needs a little help in regards to time and checking back on tables more often for drink refills but this did NOT affect my stay here. I would highly recommend it to anyone, young or old, single or married, I had an amazing time! VERY VERY special thanks to Shurently, O'Bryan, Chucho, John, Zeric, Gino and Gwengello from the Entertainment Team for providing us with an array of daily/nightly entertainment, music and dancing. These guys are great at their jobs!! They introduced me to many guests at the resort and accompanied us to local nightclubs and different parts of town. I have wonderful memories of my first trip to Curacao and they are to thank for a VERY large part of them. Also special thanks to the master chef (I forgot his name) and Omar who was part of the fire show. Norma with the bar staff was very kind/funny and special thanks to all of the wonderful young ladies working in the buffet. I wish I remembered their names, they were all so sweet! Sunscape holds a special place in my heart and I am very much looking forward to a return stay here. Thanks for everything :)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
9 Thank Jessica S
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed March 13, 2013

The most lovely country anyone could ever visit. My name is Dustin, and my boyfriend came with me. I'm a 29yo gay male. I mention this because it was never an issue with anyone at the resort, or in the entire country. The resort was beautiful, and we were warned that it was under construction due to change in management from European to American. There was no construction. Our room was beautifully renovated, and we had HBO. The food was pretty good. If you want better food go into Punda by shuttle(free), or taxi($15). I also suggest using only American money, because they take it everywhere. The Staff at Sunscape were all amazing.
To name a few of the Entertainment staff who made everything just that little bit better: ChooChoo - Entertainment director,Crazy G - Mc, and host and Oh Brian - (I'll take two)
But really they were all wonderful I just couldnt remember everyones name. Crazy G and O'Brian also came out with us one night to the club/resort next door, Cabana. So much fun. like a five minute walk if you're drunk.The staff were so great at getting everyone involved. Every day each room got an itinerary of activities. Even better was that the staff would come around and ask you to join in. I won numerous bottles of booze.Bar Staff I love include My Dushi's: Gigio, Norma (drinking rum and red bull), Hubert, and kelly. I'm not sure if kelly was bar staff actually.The lady at the front who organizes the tours was extremely helpful. I can't remember her name. She was always in green and yellow. She was so busy, she needs an assistant.
There was not a single drop of grand Marnier on the whole island. Lots of Curacao though.
I read some complaints about the beach being too rocky. Well you obviously havent been to ontario. The beaches are all rock. The beach at the resort was coral anyways. So don't complain about mother nature. The crowd was a little older than us, but it was nice not being surround by teenagers.Overall, Stay here. I can imagine its only gonna get better as the management style changes, and the staff become more accustomed to them. So many activities to do, on and off the resort. You can swim with the dolphins(15minute walk east of the resort) and much more.
There is also a ghetto casino attached which i loved. You can smoke inside. You can drink anywhere on the island. I would've given 5 stars if the food was better, and if there was constant food service. which there almost was. There was always something to eat if you needed, just not much option.I almost forgot about the spa. pricey but when isn't it. I had Nelly for a facial. Not only did she give me a facial, she gave me a complimentary hot stone massage, and foot massage, did my eyebrows, and got rid of all the crap on my face. all while wrapped in hot towels. So relaxing, i couldn't shut up about it. Nelly was so sweet and loving. My boyfriend got a pedicure,he loved it. There was also a maid staff that i loved. I don't know her name but she was adorable, and we would always play hide and seek like children. She was dark skinned with natural hair, small afro. and a warm smile. She worked everyday i was there. Loved her. march 3-10.If you want an inviting, fun environment where everyone is welcome come to Curacao Sunscape. I'd move there. Thanks again

Room Tip: Don't get stuck in the tower because it has yet to be rennovated. If you want something quieter...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Daytona B
Watertown, South Dakota
Reviewed March 13, 2013

We Just got back from sunscape . I believe they are doing a great job with what they have. We have no real big complaints there was a few little things that they did you would have to scratch your head and wonder why they were doing it that way.
There was no real rhyme or reason to the schedule of events, or maid service, or if you would get water or more beer in your mini fridge. But like I said these were all the things that we would laugh and talk about the next day NOT A BIG DEAL. I thought the food was great with plenty of choices. I really liked that we could walk up from the beach and get a burger and fries or a fish sandwich and a beer made right in front of you, that was great. The snorkeling and diving were great we saw so many interesting fish and coral formations. We took a buba mugs and only used them 1 or 2 times we were so bzy doing thing that it easier just to grab a small drink and move on. I dint like that they had a really small cup but we would get 2 and make it work lol…
I would go back no problem, Just need to find better prices it was a little expensive.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank jasonstricker
Also consider these accommodations in or near Willemstad
Van der Valk Kontiki Beach Resort
Lions Dive & Beach Resort Curacao
Scuba Lodge & Suites
Scuba Lodge & Suites
#2 of 32 in Willemstad
Floris Suite Hotel - Spa & Beach Club
Renaissance Curacao Resort & Casino
Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao

Been to Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino? Share your experiences!