“Overall not bad but poor service”

Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Willemstad
Port Perry, Canada
“Overall not bad but poor service”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Hi first the pros-
Short drive from the airport, great snorkeling we did take our own gear as it was fun to do it as you could aklways see something new. Saw some squid, eels and on a trip snorkeling off the resort we saw an octopus which was great., scubas good from what I heard and you didnt have to go far., updated rooms are good some not so good, easy to get a chair, only half full according to the staff,movies on the beach, bars in various locations. clean rooms, Many attractions nearby such as the aquarium and dolphin swim, Bus into town costs $1.50 per person. they do have a shuttle that leaves at 9 and again at 2 I believe for free but you have to book in advance to get on it and once its full you dont get on it but can go on a waiting list. Town is 10 minutes away and some great stores and attractions to see especially the floating bridge which moves when boats need to enter the harbour. Prices are not at all bad there found them quite reasonable.
Cons- check in was terrible took a long time and we ended up up grading which costs 140 us and we had to go through 7 rooms to get one that didnt have a problem. Many upper floor rooms have palm trees in front of the windows or balconies so if you pay to upgrade to ocean view check the room first as most have blocked views at least in the building we went to. We stayed at the flamingo 3rd floor first room had a king bed we required two beds as we had three of us. Second room safe was broken and toliet was broken was told a few days to fix the problems we moved. We did end up in one of the end suites which was nice but had a king bed and a pull out which my daughter didnt find very comfortable after a few days of sleeping on it. No elevators to any other floors. They had a guard and his dog on the side where we stayed and at 3 or 4 or 5 whnever someone walked on our side of the hotel he would bark which echoed right into our room. servers in most parts acted like they were put out when you asked for something, mini bar was supposed to be replenished daily we got it done 3 times over the week and we did leave tips on the bed for them which they took no problem. beach was not the way it is shown on their brochure it is rocky in a lot of areas. Alacartes were ok but you had to get there early to get in as they did not pre book just show up and women could wear whatever they wanted as some came in tank tops with short shorts and men needed long pants and a collared shirt not very fair. The main bar near the buffet restauraunt smelt like something had been rotting for a while they need to clean it. they kept running out of glasses so you had to continually wait for a drink and all bars made the same drink differently and had no bar menus. the on site scuba was good but you had to fill out a form first and if you answer yes to any question you need a medical note from a doctor to clear you to dive. I asked as I had a broken nose years back and had a septum operation and answered yes after she told me I had to and then denied me going unless i had a doctors note. So hate to say it but lie if you want to go scuba diving as my operation was small and a long time ago but still cost me the shance of going diving and I work as a firefighter so have no real issues with lungs or breathing. Main buffet has changed since changing over to sunscape from breezes as many return couples advised us that it was smaller and definately a lot less choices. Many tiles were broken and replaced with whatever tile they could find from the looks of things as they did not match or even come close to looking like they were supposed to be there. Resort in my view is getting run down. We had phones in the rooms but they were not connected to anything so any problems you have has to be dealt with by going to the front desk and if theres a line up its a guearanteed 20 or 30 minute wait. The food that was there was good but just not much variety. Many towels get put on chairs at 7 in the morning and people dont show up till noon or later to use them. Found a lot of people who had rooms near the beach would pull the chairs up to there rooms and think they had the right to keep them for the week even if they were going out and not using them. Resort was only half full and service was not great we had to order drinks a few times from different waitresses to actually get a drink and food lines were slow as they made different things for people such as omelets or spaghetti I would have hated to see a full resort.
Now I did say a lot of negative things but it is what you make of it and we had a good time but service was poor and we found most times it was just easier to go get your own drinks. As far as going back I think I would look at other resorts first as this one has changed hands and seems to be going through some changes that they need to work out first and will probably be better in the future but they do need to update it as it is starting to get run down.

Room Tip: They say the rooms in buildings 7 and 8 are quieter but we found in 8 the dog barks at night a lot a...
7 Thank robl158

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,366)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
North Bay, Canada
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We liked the fact that we were a short drive away from the airport. The resort and some of the decor is dated, but it's location is fabulous. The resort was clean and staff were very pleasant, friendly and helpful.
Check-in was quick and efficient. Our ocean view room was on the 2nd floor of the Pelican, which has been recently renovated. We didn't get the king size bed which we had requested, so rather than make a fuss, we pushed the 2 doubles together! The bathroom is rather small, and there's no tub, but the shower is roomy and there's no shortage of hot water.
Food was quite good. Though the buffet did not have a large variety of offerings, what was there was delicious (I'm a fussy eater). Servers are not too quick to bring ice water of coffee, but thankfully, there's a water dispenser and a coffee urn where we helped ourselves. Tables were cleared efficiently. The a-la-carte restaurants were quite tasty too (we ate at the Japanese, Italian and Steakhouse).
We did not use the pools at all. We sat on the beach and there was never any shortage of lounge chairs. We were up early so we were fortunate to get a cabana. No problems getting beach towels.
The snorkelling was fabulous, just yards off of the beach. We brought our own gear and were out several times daily. We saw lots of fish (different types of parrot fish, sergeant majors, snappers, trumpet fish, lion fish, groupers). We had hoped to go on an excursion but just didn't seem to get around to it. Maybe next year!
As far as entertainment goes, we've been travelling to the Caribbean for a few years now, and we've seen many shows. At Sunscape, they didn't have the shows we expected, but we were quite pleased with the cabaret-style evenings of signing and dancing (one guy sounded just like Marvin Gaye). We were up late enough to go to the disco one night, but it was pretty much empty so we left.
We took the local collectivo bus to Willemstad twice ($1.50 US per person each way). Quite fascinating to see the pontoon bridge, the cruise and cargo ships on the canal, the shops and restaurants; loads of tourists milling about....and nobody haggling or pestering you while you shop and/or enjoy the scenery!
We've been to many resorts all over the Caribbean and we both agree that all in all, this was by far our best holiday yet. The fact that we could sit out at the beach, and not be bugged to join in some game or other, to get a massage, braids in your hair, buy trinkets, etc... made such a difference for us. It was truly an enjoyable week, and we were not ready to come home! We're already planning on returning next year and to stay for 2 weeks.

Room Tip: We were in the Pelican
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
17 Thank michelle b
Oakville, Canada
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Not what we expected very poor rooms dated to the 70s broken tiles no room to move in the rooms door hit the toilet no fans broken glass panes balcony door won't lock I could go on an on coffee ran out service was poor you need bug spray ac was noisy beach was rocky

Room Tip: Pelican rooms are probably the best I would still like to know where the 10 million renovations was...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Glyn836
Darmstadt, Germany
Reviewed March 2, 2013

We had a great time. It was our third stay there this time it was bizarre for us not to stay in the Royal tower. We had booked a Preferred Club Deluxe Ocean View Double. The room was renovated and nice (except one bedside table that did not work) a bit smaller that the double rooms in the Royal tower and only one European plug.
The food was good as always the only restaurant we didn't really like was the grill, all others were great.
If you like snorkeling with family and kids this is the perfect place. Joel took Dave for a 2 hours snorkeling tour that he really enjoyed. Water sports are very good.

I had access to the "preferred" salon with free internet which was very good.

Everyone is very friendly as always was great to go back home as they say!

We love this location and will come back.

6 Thank Mariehferreira
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 26, 2013

My experience at the Sunscape hotel was not a thrilling one. I travel every year with the same group of people (~15 people in total, ages range from 19-53, I myself am 21), and if it wasn't for all of us being together, this trip probably would have been enough to make me never want to travel again. I will go on to describe my experience as best as I can and in thorough detail in every attempt to dissuade you from going to Sunscape. EVERYTHING in my descrition below is 100% real, although it may not sound real (I understand some parts may sound like they were on pages torn from a horror novel, but I am telling you all of this DID in fact happen--I wish I had photographic evidence). I know this is a very long comment to read, but please take the time to read the whole thing because it might be helpful in your decision-making process.

***Before I go into detail, I want to make note that MOST OF THIS RESORT HAS NOT BEEN RENOVATED. They claim that some areas have been, but they were in actuality left incomplete or half-assed. My 'newly renovated' room had old broken tiles, broken/loose faucets, stained walls, little furniture, and a poor bedroom layout that made no ergonomic sense and was beyond inconvenient and annoying.***

We left Toronto on Sunday, February 17th, 2013 and returned home the following Sunday, February 24, 2013 and all I will say is that I sure am happy to be home and in the comfort of my own bed.

GETTING SETTLED:
The airport experience was speedy. Check-in at the hotel took approximately 2 hours for our large group because they wanted to shove us in the old and only 5-storey building, which is the only one that has not undergone any renos. And if that's the case, i would be afraid to step foot in it when comparing it to the "renovated" room I ended up being stuck in. We argued that we booked our stay LONG (many months) in advance AND were at the front of the check-in line, therefore we should have been offered the new rooms and considered a priority since we needed 8 rooms close together for our huge group. Eventually, after arguing for some time, the GM offered us beach-front 'new' rooms for an EXTRA COST of 100$ per room, even after having 15 people wait in a sweaty lobby for 2 hours! We ended up accepting this offer because we did NOT want an old room, which, based on other TripAdvisor comments, seemed horrible. ***I want to also warn you that these people will try to nickle and dime you (just like they did with the extra cost for our rooms) so be prepared! Also upon check-in, they notified us that WIFI service would cost 15$ per day or 40$ per week-THERE IS NO FREE CONNECTION ANYWHERE. The next day, we went to purchase the 40$ package, but were told that the 40$ package was "unavailable at the moment." They gave us absolutely no reason for this, but it's obvious that they were hoping we would purchase 3+ days worth of WIFI (at 15$ per day) so they would maximize their profit. WIFI does not just become unavailable, so this was a blatant lie.***

ROOMS:
Nobody brought our 15 luggages to our rooms, so we had to haul them ourselves up 3 flights of stairs. We stayed in the Pelican building (#7) and my room REEKED of sewage. It smelled so badly that we gagged repeatedly while inside it, and could not have other family members come to our room because they couldn't handle the smell. We were forced to have our air condition on really high as we were afraid that any rise in temperature would enhance or forment the smell. Another one of our group members had this same issue in his room, too. Our sink faucet looked like a Nintendo joystick that I also probably could have ripped right out of the counter top because it was loose. The shower faucet had SOAP SCUM still on it. This was NOT a rust stain, I was able to chip some off with my finger nail. It was disgusting, and we had to wear shoes in the shower. I had two queen beds in my room, but because of where the beds were placed, our luggages could not roll into the sleeping area because they simply could not fit. The wall was on a major angle that came close to intersecting with the foot of my bed. As a result, we had to turn our bodies parallel to the wall and slip through the small space to get from the hallway to the sleeping area/balcony, and also pick up and carry our heavy luggages closer to the beds. The beds were moist and hard, but when you're tired, I guess anything will do. I asked the maid three times for bottled water, which was seemingly impossible to find at this resort. The towels smelled like mildew, and the toilet paper/kleenix did NOT get replaced at a fast enough rate. This unfortunately lead us to taking them right off the maid trollies. The TV's are also not on a pivot hinge, so only one of the two queen beds will have a view of it. All the popular channels are available and the quality is fine. All in all, the room quality is undoubtedly 3-Star material.

BEACH:

Unfortunately, the entire shore of the beach from one side to the other is covered with rocks and pebbles. This is unavoidable. I HIGHLY recommend bringing water shoes, ESPECIALLY if you are travelling with children or elders because some of us hurt our feet. Beach towels didn't seem to exist at a steady rate on this resort either, and was probably harder to come across than the water bottles were. They were always out of them, but this was probably due to the fact that they had no means of keeping track of who had them. So I recommend bringing your own OR hanging your used ones on the balcany overnight just in case you don't see another one for the rest of the week. The ocean is crystal clear even at extreme depths, but I personally found it a little bit rough on some days. It also gets VERY deep VERY quickly. Snorkelling is a must, and is offered for free by the resort along with other water sport equipment like kayaks and catamarans. HOWEVER, I only got my hands on the snorkel equipment twice because, once again, they did not keep track of where it went. They signed out the equipment for 1.5 hrs at a time, but made no effort to get the equipment BACK, especially when people decided to keep them well over their allotted time slots. The second time i got some snorkel gear, everything was broken or damaged, so i had to hold my breath the entire time since the breathing tube had a leak. My dad had the same issue with his gear that day. If you could bring your own gear, it is definitely worth it; the fish are neon coloured and are breath-taking. The weather was beautiful, most mornings were overcasted but quickly cleared up. My biggest issue was that the beach staff could not have been less enthused and less interested in anybody's needs, and took more pleasure in replying to their Blackberry cell phone needs instead. Also, the entertainment staff should spend some time at both side of the beach rather than just by the pool.
We didn't go in the pool whatsoever during the day, it looked dirty and mostly had small children in it. We tried using the hot tub after pool hours (~10pm) as we had seen many other people doing it, but of course, we were asked to get out immediately. This brings me to my next issue: the staff is EXTREMELY DISCRIMINATORY towards young adults or those who are not accompanied by an adult at all times.

CUSTOMER SERVICE/ENTERTAINMENT:

The majority of vacationers appeared to be 50-60+ years old and without kids, meaning everything comes to a hault at about 10-11pm, shortly after their bed times have approached. The nightly entertainment consisted of mediocre dance shows or live bands from about 8-11pm, and nothing more.The young adults in my group (19-25) had absolutely NOTHING to do at night. They ran out of beer the first few nights because the resort's supplier allegedly never showed up. One bar by the pool closed at 1am every night and was great, until it began closing EARLY on us as an order from the resort's "Night Manager." His reasoning was that he didn't like that we were playing a card game while drinking, or us having one person order 20 drinks at a time (altogether, including new friends we made, we were a group of around 20 young adults, so when we ordered our drinks, it amounted to one drink per person!). The ignorant night manager, whose name is Hubert, then accused us of pouring our drinks all over the floor (wasting them) and damaging resort property. In all sincerity and honesty, this was NOT the case. I would not be writing this if I was at fault. I also want to mention that Hubert was IN A DIFFERENT BUILDING PLAYING PACMAN while this was going on, so he wasn't even watching us! He must have walked by our large group of young adults early on in the evening and automatically assumed we were intoxicated. Little did Hubert know, we were actually socializing with Sheldon (the sweetest bartender), and were in fact tipping him well because of his amazing efforts. I have NEVER been to an all-inclusive resort that refused its guests access to alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages. We are PAYING for that service, and Hubert has no right to tell ANYONE how to consume a beverage. I understand if he ordered his bartending staff to cut off those who were intoxicated, but once again, NONE of us were. That night, we had asked Hubert to see the resort's book of policies that stated what we were doing was wrong, but he said he did not have the authority to do so. He then added that he did not want us drinking "blue lagoon" shots because they had a higher alchohol content than beer, and therefore only allowed us to drink the beer from here on out. I could not believe my ears when I first heard this, he now was telling us which drinks to order. The following morning, we filed a complaint with the G.M. and an H.R. representative, who both agreed that Hubert handled this situation the wrong way. They agreed it was extremely poor customer service on his behalf, and we were promised never to encounter this issue again. For the rest of the week, they were conveniently all out of the blue lagoon shots. But hold on, it gets better! The following night after they closed the same pool bar early once more, we headed to the night club called "Desires" (don't be fooled, this was nothing more than a room with a DJ, a bartender who comes and goes as he pleases, a half-broken Pacman machine, and a pool table) to hang out with our same group of people. Disires has a sign on the door saying it closes at 2am so we thought about how nice this was to have finally discovered a bar that closes later than the pool's bar. We put together some tables outside on the scuba diving deck (which is attached to Desires) since there were no other seating options for us inside. All was going well until Hubert ordered the club's bartender and DJ to shut down Desires almost an hour early. This time, his reason was that nobody was actually inside the bar; a person must be INSIDE the bar for it to remain open till 2am, rather than standing outside or around the bar, even though the people outside or around the bar were still ordering drinks. A group of people approached Hubert and asked why this happened, he said that it was a WASTE OF AIR CONDITIONING to cool an empty room and he therefore felt it should be closed. I thought all-inclusive vacations included air condition, but i guess we were all wrong! Dealing with Hubert is like dealing with a child; progress actually starting moving backwards, and I found that he was incapable of fulfilling the duties bound to a managerial position. There were other people there who witnessed this and were equally upset, not just our large group of friends on the deck. The following night, we decided to start filling up and saving bottles of beer throughout the day in the event that Hubert chose to shut down all the bars early in the evening or they run out of beer.

FOOD:

I do not eat meat, so this was a major concern for me as there were few other food options. I do eat fish, but I was not thoroughly impressed with the buffet's fish options. They served mostly the same type of fish every night, and the rest of the food was very plain (peas and carrots, mashed potatoes, a pasta station). It reminded me of cafeteria or hospital food. Breakfast, lunch and dinner were seemingly always the same with little variation. The buffet service was absolutely awful, the servers walked by our tables which were covered with empty plates and rarely offered us drinks, so we got used to getting them ourselves. The buffet food was definitely edible, and my meat-eating family seemed to have enjoyed it for the most part, but we have definitely eaten better food at other resorts.
The a la carte restaurants were aesthetically pleasing, but the waits were generally around one hour to receive any food. I personally enjoyed the Italian restaurant as well as the Blue Water Grill steak house the most--a special thank you goes out to Zoraida who was very accomodating for our large group. Unfortunately, there are very few options for vegetarians, so I don't recommend coming here if you are one so take this as a warning.
Luis Chaurarria, the restaurants manager, did go out of his way though to ensure all was going well every single night at each of the restaurants, so his effort was nice to see and was definitely noticed by each of us. I think Hubert would learn a lot from Luis.
There is a snack bar that opens at 11pm, but it unfortunately only had meat items. So I had to eat ketchup sandwiches if I got hungry in the evening, which by the way aren't as gross as they sound. When hunger calls, it screams!

SOMETHING SCARY:

On one of the nights, our parents informed us that there was a pool of blood beneath our Pelican building, with bloody hand prints leading up the staircase railing, and then continuing across the wall of the third floor (this was our floor). This bloody hand print trail stopped one door after mine (at #7316) which is what initially caused our parents to panic. We had no idea what actually happened that night because none of the workers told us, hopefully it was just a small accident. By the time we all made it back to our rooms from the pool area to see what happened, most of the blood was cleaned up. We did still see smudges on the neighbouring door frame. But with all that being said, we all went to bed early because our minds all wandered and we were afraid to stay outside.

FINAL THOUGHTS:

I hope this was helpful for you. I personally would not return here due to the concoction of me not eating properly, poor customer service, the frightening blood incident, and having a smelly sewer room. However, some of the others may disagree because their rooms may not have smelled and they were able to eat a lot more than I could. If you have already booked your stay at Sunscape, I strongly recommend bringing bugspray because there were tons and tons of mosquitoes at night, as well as water shoes, and even some munchies if you know you have a finicky eater on board. Going into town was nice--lots of walking and historic sight seeing, but there isn't much to actually DO. Shopping is expensive unless you go to the shops you can bargain in. This resort is best suited for someone who has maybe retired and is aiming to do NOTHING but relax, go to bed at 9pm and wake up at 7am. The drinks are sugary, food is nothing to talk about but was edible, water is clear but a little rocky. A 5-star in Jamaica is by far a better bang for your buck, so choose wisely.
Stay safe, folks.

8 Thank Laura S
Curacao
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I had spent a great weekend @ Sunscape with my family.
There is enough thinks to do. Our kids had enjoy the kids club.
While they were in the kids club, me and my wife went to spa. After that we went spent some quality time togheter in the boat.
There are so many restaurant with plenty food to choose off.
The room was clean and pleasant.The service was good.
I am thinking of going back....

3 Thank PitoGosepa
Willemstad, Curacao
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I just spend some quality time at Sunscape Resort with my 2 boys and it were the best days of my life. A perfect place for families with children. My little one of 7 had the time of his life with the amazing team of the Kids Club and me and my hubby enjoyed the quality time together. We had a beautiful room and I loved the small details like the incense stick in our bathroom and the plate of fruit when we arrived. The staff of Sunscape resort are all so friendly and greet you every morning with a beautiful smile. We loved the food and Beach BBQ and couldn't resist the delicious cocktails in the pool bar. After dinner we enjoyed a breathtaking sunset on the beach while zipping a nice glass of bubbles.

We would like to take the opportunity to say thanks you to all the amazing people of Sunscape Curacao, you will see us back real soon!!

Room Tip: ask for the ocean front room, they have the most amazing view. families with kids, ask for the room...
6 Thank Saszie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Willemstad
Van der Valk Kontiki Beach Resort
Lions Dive & Beach Resort Curacao
Scuba Lodge & Suites
Scuba Lodge & Suites
#2 of 32 in Willemstad
Floris Suite Hotel - Spa & Beach Club
Renaissance Curacao Resort & Casino
Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao

Been to Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino? Share your experiences!