“Great holidays”

Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Willemstad
Darmstadt, Germany
“Great holidays”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

We had a great time. It was our third stay there this time it was bizarre for us not to stay in the Royal tower. We had booked a Preferred Club Deluxe Ocean View Double. The room was renovated and nice (except one bedside table that did not work) a bit smaller that the double rooms in the Royal tower and only one European plug.
The food was good as always the only restaurant we didn't really like was the grill, all others were great.
If you like snorkeling with family and kids this is the perfect place. Joel took Dave for a 2 hours snorkeling tour that he really enjoyed. Water sports are very good.

I had access to the "preferred" salon with free internet which was very good.

Everyone is very friendly as always was great to go back home as they say!

We love this location and will come back.

6 Thank Mariehferreira

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,337)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 26, 2013

My experience at the Sunscape hotel was not a thrilling one. I travel every year with the same group of people (~15 people in total, ages range from 19-53, I myself am 21), and if it wasn't for all of us being together, this trip probably would have been enough to make me never want to travel again. I will go on to describe my experience as best as I can and in thorough detail in every attempt to dissuade you from going to Sunscape. EVERYTHING in my descrition below is 100% real, although it may not sound real (I understand some parts may sound like they were on pages torn from a horror novel, but I am telling you all of this DID in fact happen--I wish I had photographic evidence). I know this is a very long comment to read, but please take the time to read the whole thing because it might be helpful in your decision-making process.

***Before I go into detail, I want to make note that MOST OF THIS RESORT HAS NOT BEEN RENOVATED. They claim that some areas have been, but they were in actuality left incomplete or half-assed. My 'newly renovated' room had old broken tiles, broken/loose faucets, stained walls, little furniture, and a poor bedroom layout that made no ergonomic sense and was beyond inconvenient and annoying.***

We left Toronto on Sunday, February 17th, 2013 and returned home the following Sunday, February 24, 2013 and all I will say is that I sure am happy to be home and in the comfort of my own bed.

GETTING SETTLED:
The airport experience was speedy. Check-in at the hotel took approximately 2 hours for our large group because they wanted to shove us in the old and only 5-storey building, which is the only one that has not undergone any renos. And if that's the case, i would be afraid to step foot in it when comparing it to the "renovated" room I ended up being stuck in. We argued that we booked our stay LONG (many months) in advance AND were at the front of the check-in line, therefore we should have been offered the new rooms and considered a priority since we needed 8 rooms close together for our huge group. Eventually, after arguing for some time, the GM offered us beach-front 'new' rooms for an EXTRA COST of 100$ per room, even after having 15 people wait in a sweaty lobby for 2 hours! We ended up accepting this offer because we did NOT want an old room, which, based on other TripAdvisor comments, seemed horrible. ***I want to also warn you that these people will try to nickle and dime you (just like they did with the extra cost for our rooms) so be prepared! Also upon check-in, they notified us that WIFI service would cost 15$ per day or 40$ per week-THERE IS NO FREE CONNECTION ANYWHERE. The next day, we went to purchase the 40$ package, but were told that the 40$ package was "unavailable at the moment." They gave us absolutely no reason for this, but it's obvious that they were hoping we would purchase 3+ days worth of WIFI (at 15$ per day) so they would maximize their profit. WIFI does not just become unavailable, so this was a blatant lie.***

ROOMS:
Nobody brought our 15 luggages to our rooms, so we had to haul them ourselves up 3 flights of stairs. We stayed in the Pelican building (#7) and my room REEKED of sewage. It smelled so badly that we gagged repeatedly while inside it, and could not have other family members come to our room because they couldn't handle the smell. We were forced to have our air condition on really high as we were afraid that any rise in temperature would enhance or forment the smell. Another one of our group members had this same issue in his room, too. Our sink faucet looked like a Nintendo joystick that I also probably could have ripped right out of the counter top because it was loose. The shower faucet had SOAP SCUM still on it. This was NOT a rust stain, I was able to chip some off with my finger nail. It was disgusting, and we had to wear shoes in the shower. I had two queen beds in my room, but because of where the beds were placed, our luggages could not roll into the sleeping area because they simply could not fit. The wall was on a major angle that came close to intersecting with the foot of my bed. As a result, we had to turn our bodies parallel to the wall and slip through the small space to get from the hallway to the sleeping area/balcony, and also pick up and carry our heavy luggages closer to the beds. The beds were moist and hard, but when you're tired, I guess anything will do. I asked the maid three times for bottled water, which was seemingly impossible to find at this resort. The towels smelled like mildew, and the toilet paper/kleenix did NOT get replaced at a fast enough rate. This unfortunately lead us to taking them right off the maid trollies. The TV's are also not on a pivot hinge, so only one of the two queen beds will have a view of it. All the popular channels are available and the quality is fine. All in all, the room quality is undoubtedly 3-Star material.

BEACH:

Unfortunately, the entire shore of the beach from one side to the other is covered with rocks and pebbles. This is unavoidable. I HIGHLY recommend bringing water shoes, ESPECIALLY if you are travelling with children or elders because some of us hurt our feet. Beach towels didn't seem to exist at a steady rate on this resort either, and was probably harder to come across than the water bottles were. They were always out of them, but this was probably due to the fact that they had no means of keeping track of who had them. So I recommend bringing your own OR hanging your used ones on the balcany overnight just in case you don't see another one for the rest of the week. The ocean is crystal clear even at extreme depths, but I personally found it a little bit rough on some days. It also gets VERY deep VERY quickly. Snorkelling is a must, and is offered for free by the resort along with other water sport equipment like kayaks and catamarans. HOWEVER, I only got my hands on the snorkel equipment twice because, once again, they did not keep track of where it went. They signed out the equipment for 1.5 hrs at a time, but made no effort to get the equipment BACK, especially when people decided to keep them well over their allotted time slots. The second time i got some snorkel gear, everything was broken or damaged, so i had to hold my breath the entire time since the breathing tube had a leak. My dad had the same issue with his gear that day. If you could bring your own gear, it is definitely worth it; the fish are neon coloured and are breath-taking. The weather was beautiful, most mornings were overcasted but quickly cleared up. My biggest issue was that the beach staff could not have been less enthused and less interested in anybody's needs, and took more pleasure in replying to their Blackberry cell phone needs instead. Also, the entertainment staff should spend some time at both side of the beach rather than just by the pool.
We didn't go in the pool whatsoever during the day, it looked dirty and mostly had small children in it. We tried using the hot tub after pool hours (~10pm) as we had seen many other people doing it, but of course, we were asked to get out immediately. This brings me to my next issue: the staff is EXTREMELY DISCRIMINATORY towards young adults or those who are not accompanied by an adult at all times.

CUSTOMER SERVICE/ENTERTAINMENT:

The majority of vacationers appeared to be 50-60+ years old and without kids, meaning everything comes to a hault at about 10-11pm, shortly after their bed times have approached. The nightly entertainment consisted of mediocre dance shows or live bands from about 8-11pm, and nothing more.The young adults in my group (19-25) had absolutely NOTHING to do at night. They ran out of beer the first few nights because the resort's supplier allegedly never showed up. One bar by the pool closed at 1am every night and was great, until it began closing EARLY on us as an order from the resort's "Night Manager." His reasoning was that he didn't like that we were playing a card game while drinking, or us having one person order 20 drinks at a time (altogether, including new friends we made, we were a group of around 20 young adults, so when we ordered our drinks, it amounted to one drink per person!). The ignorant night manager, whose name is Hubert, then accused us of pouring our drinks all over the floor (wasting them) and damaging resort property. In all sincerity and honesty, this was NOT the case. I would not be writing this if I was at fault. I also want to mention that Hubert was IN A DIFFERENT BUILDING PLAYING PACMAN while this was going on, so he wasn't even watching us! He must have walked by our large group of young adults early on in the evening and automatically assumed we were intoxicated. Little did Hubert know, we were actually socializing with Sheldon (the sweetest bartender), and were in fact tipping him well because of his amazing efforts. I have NEVER been to an all-inclusive resort that refused its guests access to alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages. We are PAYING for that service, and Hubert has no right to tell ANYONE how to consume a beverage. I understand if he ordered his bartending staff to cut off those who were intoxicated, but once again, NONE of us were. That night, we had asked Hubert to see the resort's book of policies that stated what we were doing was wrong, but he said he did not have the authority to do so. He then added that he did not want us drinking "blue lagoon" shots because they had a higher alchohol content than beer, and therefore only allowed us to drink the beer from here on out. I could not believe my ears when I first heard this, he now was telling us which drinks to order. The following morning, we filed a complaint with the G.M. and an H.R. representative, who both agreed that Hubert handled this situation the wrong way. They agreed it was extremely poor customer service on his behalf, and we were promised never to encounter this issue again. For the rest of the week, they were conveniently all out of the blue lagoon shots. But hold on, it gets better! The following night after they closed the same pool bar early once more, we headed to the night club called "Desires" (don't be fooled, this was nothing more than a room with a DJ, a bartender who comes and goes as he pleases, a half-broken Pacman machine, and a pool table) to hang out with our same group of people. Disires has a sign on the door saying it closes at 2am so we thought about how nice this was to have finally discovered a bar that closes later than the pool's bar. We put together some tables outside on the scuba diving deck (which is attached to Desires) since there were no other seating options for us inside. All was going well until Hubert ordered the club's bartender and DJ to shut down Desires almost an hour early. This time, his reason was that nobody was actually inside the bar; a person must be INSIDE the bar for it to remain open till 2am, rather than standing outside or around the bar, even though the people outside or around the bar were still ordering drinks. A group of people approached Hubert and asked why this happened, he said that it was a WASTE OF AIR CONDITIONING to cool an empty room and he therefore felt it should be closed. I thought all-inclusive vacations included air condition, but i guess we were all wrong! Dealing with Hubert is like dealing with a child; progress actually starting moving backwards, and I found that he was incapable of fulfilling the duties bound to a managerial position. There were other people there who witnessed this and were equally upset, not just our large group of friends on the deck. The following night, we decided to start filling up and saving bottles of beer throughout the day in the event that Hubert chose to shut down all the bars early in the evening or they run out of beer.

FOOD:

I do not eat meat, so this was a major concern for me as there were few other food options. I do eat fish, but I was not thoroughly impressed with the buffet's fish options. They served mostly the same type of fish every night, and the rest of the food was very plain (peas and carrots, mashed potatoes, a pasta station). It reminded me of cafeteria or hospital food. Breakfast, lunch and dinner were seemingly always the same with little variation. The buffet service was absolutely awful, the servers walked by our tables which were covered with empty plates and rarely offered us drinks, so we got used to getting them ourselves. The buffet food was definitely edible, and my meat-eating family seemed to have enjoyed it for the most part, but we have definitely eaten better food at other resorts.
The a la carte restaurants were aesthetically pleasing, but the waits were generally around one hour to receive any food. I personally enjoyed the Italian restaurant as well as the Blue Water Grill steak house the most--a special thank you goes out to Zoraida who was very accomodating for our large group. Unfortunately, there are very few options for vegetarians, so I don't recommend coming here if you are one so take this as a warning.
Luis Chaurarria, the restaurants manager, did go out of his way though to ensure all was going well every single night at each of the restaurants, so his effort was nice to see and was definitely noticed by each of us. I think Hubert would learn a lot from Luis.
There is a snack bar that opens at 11pm, but it unfortunately only had meat items. So I had to eat ketchup sandwiches if I got hungry in the evening, which by the way aren't as gross as they sound. When hunger calls, it screams!

SOMETHING SCARY:

On one of the nights, our parents informed us that there was a pool of blood beneath our Pelican building, with bloody hand prints leading up the staircase railing, and then continuing across the wall of the third floor (this was our floor). This bloody hand print trail stopped one door after mine (at #7316) which is what initially caused our parents to panic. We had no idea what actually happened that night because none of the workers told us, hopefully it was just a small accident. By the time we all made it back to our rooms from the pool area to see what happened, most of the blood was cleaned up. We did still see smudges on the neighbouring door frame. But with all that being said, we all went to bed early because our minds all wandered and we were afraid to stay outside.

FINAL THOUGHTS:

I hope this was helpful for you. I personally would not return here due to the concoction of me not eating properly, poor customer service, the frightening blood incident, and having a smelly sewer room. However, some of the others may disagree because their rooms may not have smelled and they were able to eat a lot more than I could. If you have already booked your stay at Sunscape, I strongly recommend bringing bugspray because there were tons and tons of mosquitoes at night, as well as water shoes, and even some munchies if you know you have a finicky eater on board. Going into town was nice--lots of walking and historic sight seeing, but there isn't much to actually DO. Shopping is expensive unless you go to the shops you can bargain in. This resort is best suited for someone who has maybe retired and is aiming to do NOTHING but relax, go to bed at 9pm and wake up at 7am. The drinks are sugary, food is nothing to talk about but was edible, water is clear but a little rocky. A 5-star in Jamaica is by far a better bang for your buck, so choose wisely.
Stay safe, folks.

8 Thank Laura S
Curacao
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I had spent a great weekend @ Sunscape with my family.
There is enough thinks to do. Our kids had enjoy the kids club.
While they were in the kids club, me and my wife went to spa. After that we went spent some quality time togheter in the boat.
There are so many restaurant with plenty food to choose off.
The room was clean and pleasant.The service was good.
I am thinking of going back....

3 Thank PitoGosepa
Willemstad, Curacao
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I just spend some quality time at Sunscape Resort with my 2 boys and it were the best days of my life. A perfect place for families with children. My little one of 7 had the time of his life with the amazing team of the Kids Club and me and my hubby enjoyed the quality time together. We had a beautiful room and I loved the small details like the incense stick in our bathroom and the plate of fruit when we arrived. The staff of Sunscape resort are all so friendly and greet you every morning with a beautiful smile. We loved the food and Beach BBQ and couldn't resist the delicious cocktails in the pool bar. After dinner we enjoyed a breathtaking sunset on the beach while zipping a nice glass of bubbles.

We would like to take the opportunity to say thanks you to all the amazing people of Sunscape Curacao, you will see us back real soon!!

Room Tip: ask for the ocean front room, they have the most amazing view. families with kids, ask for the room...
6 Thank Saszie
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 22, 2013

I treveled with my family Jan 17-24. I was a bit skeptical and nervous before we got to the resort fue to all the negative reviews I was reading, but overall I had a great experiance. One of the first employees that we encountered was Raymond the bellhop. He was very friendly and explained everything in detail, he did everything to ensure that we were satusfied with our room and felt comfortable. I wish I could encounter an employee like this in every resort that I visit. Another person who went out of their way to make us comfotable was Luis the restaurnt manager. To say that this guy has his work cut out for him would be an understatement. Apparently the staff was very lax while the hotel was under the Breezes name. Now being under AMResorts, they actually have to work! Luis works his butt off to make sure that all staff are doing their job and that every guest is comfortable.
The snorkeling at this resort was amazing. The house reef is a treasure and I recommend that everyone bring their own snorkel gear, or you can borrow it from the hotel. Watersport equipment was always available with no time limit.
The food was good, not expecially great.. but good. My favorite was Himitsu and Oceana. Ruthmaira from Ocean did a great job.
The buffet is the weakest point of the hotel. The breakfast was always the same and there wasnt much of a selection. Not to mention there was alway a shortage of something..juice, glasses, forks, coffee.. you name it..there was ALWAY something missing. The staff were also not in a hurry to help. The dinner at the buffet was good, I enjoyed the cheesecake. The most authentic food was found at the buffett dinners...goat, pumpkin etc.
The drinks were good and they did have a good selection of alcohol, that i until they ran out. I had jack and coke for the first half of the week, but I guess I drank it all. :)
Try a drink called the "Blue Lagoon"
We stayed in the Flamingo building with a ocean view room. The room was clean and pleasant but there were a few things that didint seem finished. There was no phone service in the entire building so I had to walk down to the front desk for everything. Maybe they have phones by now. The ocean view was well worth the extra cost.
There was outdoor entertainment every night, there were a few musicians that we enjoyed some that we didint.
Ohh and very important...PLEASE BRING BUG SPRAY!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room! The Flamingo Building is the quietest.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
11 Thank kcetnar
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 22, 2013

We arrived from Toronto, Ontario.......on Feb 10th for 7 days....
Once we got into our room in building 8, Rm 8201........everything went perfectly for all 7 days....
The people were great and all with smiles.....Service was prompt in most cases.........
The women at the coffee bar & Nora.......LOVE U .......happy smiling made us feel special....
You can see the potential........and the transition from old to new.
The management aimed to please........and we had a wonderful week
Enjoyed the beach, Ocean...& Sun
The Sunset Grill for Supper.........wonderful time......great food.....great service....
I am thinking of going back....before it turns into a 5 star again.....since it was very affordable....
wonderful place to stay.......felt safe.....and enjoyed every minute...

Room Tip: Get a room in building 7 or 8..quieter...Ocean front the best....
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank SL C
Trinidad
Reviewed February 20, 2013

We had a great time spent 4 nights and 5 days the service was exceptional the food was outstanding, the staff was very helpful and most of them spoke English. Our room was very comfortable and overlooked the pool and beach front, needless to say the view was fantastic. The restaurants opened only at night and there was a considerable wait for seating which was a bit frustrating but the food was delightful. Overall the weekend was a great success and i look forward to visiting this resort with some of my family next time.

Room Tip: rooms on the south side "Flamingo" was very quiet
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank neville127
Also consider these accommodations in or near Willemstad
Van der Valk Kontiki Beach Resort
Lions Dive & Beach Resort Curacao
Scuba Lodge & Suites
Scuba Lodge & Suites
#2 of 32 in Willemstad
Floris Suite Hotel - Spa & Beach Club
Renaissance Curacao Resort & Casino
Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao

Been to Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino? Share your experiences!