We had a great time at this resort. We chose this since Sunscape is owned by the same company that owns the Dreams chain, and we have stayed at 3 of those and loved each one. Sunscape is more of a budget lodging than Dreams, and the main differences were probably less evening entertainment and no waitstaff bringing you drinks as you lounge at the beach.
Here's some tips for the traveler (I'll try not to repeat others too much):
Arrival: FYI - as you leave the airport there are bathrooms immediately before and after the customs line. Make sure the hotel knows your flight number and arrival time if you want to get on the shuttle. Do not send it to the email you can find on the website, as I did not receive any response from that one. The confirmation email does come from responsive staff. As you walk out of the building, somebody will be holding a Sunscape sign on your right, and they will check your name off a list. Walk to the right to the end of the yellow building and there will be a Sunscape desk (with water bottles). They will instruct you to go to one of the buses lining the street there. We arrived along with three busloads of Canadians, so checking in took a very long time. They did have lemonade, champagne, cookies, and cold washcloths for us waiting in line.
The Room: Amenities included: 4 oz bottles of shampoo, conditioner, lotion, body wash. Also bars of soap and a shower cap. You may get water bottles at the airport or in your minibar - keep them and refill them with the tap. You have to pay for more bottles, and the tap water is extremely clean, safe, and great tasting. Yes, the beds are firm. Keep in mind "renovated" does not mean "gut rehabbed". Our room had an AC unit that had switches for ON/OFF, and Hi-Med-Low Fan. It was somewhat loud but made for good white noise, and was pretty cold at night. The minibar included beers, coke, diet coke, sprite, water, OJ, and a bottle opener. I had no problems getting towels. We had plenty of power outlets, and there was an iPod dock/clock too. There is a safe in the closet. Also, ironing board (did not see iron though), hair dryer, coffee maker, and ice bucket (did not see ice machine, nor did we look for one). The room had several mirrors as well.
Restaurants: We had excellent dinners at the Italian, Asian, and Seafood restaurants. Oceana is on the beach. All restaurants are at least somewhat open-air. Most open at 6:30, and if you go when they open, you will have no problem getting seated. Do not expect the same waitstaff service you get at home. For breakfast at the buffet, you must ask the waitstaff to bring you juice. The bars with grills serve burgers, hotdogs, nachos, etc for lunch.
Beach: Beautiful, plenty of lounge chairs. Great snorkeling, bring an underwater camera case if you have one. If you bring water shoes (they are also for sale in the gift shop) you will be more comfortable walking in more areas in the water. While snorkeling I also saw some sea urchins pretty close to the shoreline and you don't want to step on those either. You can get towels and snorkeling equipment (they run out!) at the towel hut which is more west along the beach. The dive shop is at the easternmost point of the beach by the river, and do take advantage of the free Scuba lessons and dives. They also have plenty of paid trips, but anything you would like to do with them make sure you schedule it early, as things may fill up.
Preferred Club: Just started up this week, and we had it. They are still working on it, and they said it would eventually include free WiFi in the rooms. There is a room next to the front desk that is now for Preferred Club members only, and that is where the laptops are, as well as some drinks and snacks. Extra amenities in the room are also included such as robes and slippers.
Drinks: Yum. All of the bartenders were fantastic. All bars seem to have a pina colada machine, and the one by the pool has a strawberry daiquiri machine. Alcohol of your choice gets added to it. We got creative and asked for different flavors of Curacao with them.
Departure: It seems they hire local buses for transport to the airport, so if you don't want to go when all of the big groups are going, you will have to get a cab. Some airport tips - don't plan on eating at the airport, and if you must, eat before you go through security. We were allowed to bring water bottles into security, but they made you ditch them right before you got on the plane - they also made a guy ditch his duty free bottle of alcohol he bought there. Here's a note though - they do not search your carry-on bags at that point, so what they don't see they won't know about. Also - the airport has free WiFi.
Overall we had a wonderful, relaxing time, and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. I would recommend it to others and I would come back. Tips are included, but there are a couple tip jars around, and all staff will graciously accept tips.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located near one of the world's most praised diving sites, Sunscape Curaçao Resort, Spa & Casino offers guests a fun-filled getaway of a lifetime with all the privileges of Unlimited-Fun(R). All guests will enjoy limitless access to six delectable restaurants, where reservations are never required and endless domestic and international beverages from seven chic bars and lounges. The Explorer's Club is where kids, ages 3 to 12, can have their own fun while under the supervision of Red Cross certified supervisors and the Core Zone Teens Club offers special activities and events for teens 13 to 17-years-old. All guests will have the fun-filled getaway of a lifetime at Sunscape Curaçao with activities, events, parties and more where wristbands are never required! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, BookIt.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Hotwire, HotelsClick, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Breezes Resort, Spa & Casino - Curacao Hotel Willemstad
- Breezes Resort, Spa And Casino - Curacao
- Breezes Curacao Hotel
- Breezes Resort Curacao
- Superclub Breezes Curacao
- Breeze Curacao
- Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino Willemstad