“Lovely relaxing week”

Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Willemstad
Lisle, Illinois
“Lovely relaxing week”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

We had a great time at this resort. We chose this since Sunscape is owned by the same company that owns the Dreams chain, and we have stayed at 3 of those and loved each one. Sunscape is more of a budget lodging than Dreams, and the main differences were probably less evening entertainment and no waitstaff bringing you drinks as you lounge at the beach.

Here's some tips for the traveler (I'll try not to repeat others too much):

Arrival: FYI - as you leave the airport there are bathrooms immediately before and after the customs line. Make sure the hotel knows your flight number and arrival time if you want to get on the shuttle. Do not send it to the email you can find on the website, as I did not receive any response from that one. The confirmation email does come from responsive staff. As you walk out of the building, somebody will be holding a Sunscape sign on your right, and they will check your name off a list. Walk to the right to the end of the yellow building and there will be a Sunscape desk (with water bottles). They will instruct you to go to one of the buses lining the street there. We arrived along with three busloads of Canadians, so checking in took a very long time. They did have lemonade, champagne, cookies, and cold washcloths for us waiting in line.

The Room: Amenities included: 4 oz bottles of shampoo, conditioner, lotion, body wash. Also bars of soap and a shower cap. You may get water bottles at the airport or in your minibar - keep them and refill them with the tap. You have to pay for more bottles, and the tap water is extremely clean, safe, and great tasting. Yes, the beds are firm. Keep in mind "renovated" does not mean "gut rehabbed". Our room had an AC unit that had switches for ON/OFF, and Hi-Med-Low Fan. It was somewhat loud but made for good white noise, and was pretty cold at night. The minibar included beers, coke, diet coke, sprite, water, OJ, and a bottle opener. I had no problems getting towels. We had plenty of power outlets, and there was an iPod dock/clock too. There is a safe in the closet. Also, ironing board (did not see iron though), hair dryer, coffee maker, and ice bucket (did not see ice machine, nor did we look for one). The room had several mirrors as well.

Restaurants: We had excellent dinners at the Italian, Asian, and Seafood restaurants. Oceana is on the beach. All restaurants are at least somewhat open-air. Most open at 6:30, and if you go when they open, you will have no problem getting seated. Do not expect the same waitstaff service you get at home. For breakfast at the buffet, you must ask the waitstaff to bring you juice. The bars with grills serve burgers, hotdogs, nachos, etc for lunch.

Beach: Beautiful, plenty of lounge chairs. Great snorkeling, bring an underwater camera case if you have one. If you bring water shoes (they are also for sale in the gift shop) you will be more comfortable walking in more areas in the water. While snorkeling I also saw some sea urchins pretty close to the shoreline and you don't want to step on those either. You can get towels and snorkeling equipment (they run out!) at the towel hut which is more west along the beach. The dive shop is at the easternmost point of the beach by the river, and do take advantage of the free Scuba lessons and dives. They also have plenty of paid trips, but anything you would like to do with them make sure you schedule it early, as things may fill up.

Preferred Club: Just started up this week, and we had it. They are still working on it, and they said it would eventually include free WiFi in the rooms. There is a room next to the front desk that is now for Preferred Club members only, and that is where the laptops are, as well as some drinks and snacks. Extra amenities in the room are also included such as robes and slippers.

Drinks: Yum. All of the bartenders were fantastic. All bars seem to have a pina colada machine, and the one by the pool has a strawberry daiquiri machine. Alcohol of your choice gets added to it. We got creative and asked for different flavors of Curacao with them.

Departure: It seems they hire local buses for transport to the airport, so if you don't want to go when all of the big groups are going, you will have to get a cab. Some airport tips - don't plan on eating at the airport, and if you must, eat before you go through security. We were allowed to bring water bottles into security, but they made you ditch them right before you got on the plane - they also made a guy ditch his duty free bottle of alcohol he bought there. Here's a note though - they do not search your carry-on bags at that point, so what they don't see they won't know about. Also - the airport has free WiFi.

Overall we had a wonderful, relaxing time, and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. I would recommend it to others and I would come back. Tips are included, but there are a couple tip jars around, and all staff will graciously accept tips.

Room Tip: Building 8 (Flamingo) is the furthest west and very quiet. 3 stories high, but no elevators.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
14 Thank Spiranthes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,337)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Toronto, ON
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

I was at Sunscape from February 10 - 17th with over 50 people. The resort grounds and water are beautiful. Our entire group were in the renovated rooms building 7 and 8 and there were no major complaints. The staff were friendly and always tried to meet our requests. With any resort that has been taken over by new management there are kinks that still need to be worked out but even from the beginning to the end of our trip we saw daily improvements. I would recommend this resort and many of my 50 attendees are planning a return trip. The food was very good and I really liked that fact that we didn't have to make reservations.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in building 7 or 8. The corner units were the largest and best!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank ConnieToronto_ON
Guelph, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

Service: All inclusive, no tipping. Sounds great at first, until you realize that there is NO incentive for staff to serve you. Some days we got fresh face cloths, some days only towels. Room fridge was restocked once during the week, not daily as advertised. Housekeeping sometimes didn't arrive until mid to late afternoon. Service at all restaurants was terrible, except Himitsu. Da Mario was the worst...we never got our drinks one night, never got our soup the other. Asked politely more than once. Staff at the front desk was being trained on how to process a credit card payment, which took a very long time. Check in lines were horrendous...if you know that two busses are arriving from the airport, should not everyone on staff be on hand to help?
Kids club staff, on the other hand, were fantastic. Full of energy, remembered everybody's names, spoke many languages and translated for the kids to communicate with each other. Keep up the great work!
Justin, who normally leads the snorkeling, was filling in on sailing. Give that boy a raise...he was the highlight of our stay!
Rooms: We stayed in the "6" building. Room was renovated, bathroom was not. Often water came up the shower drain when we flushed the toilet (yikes!) Informed the front desk, but I don't think anyone came to investigate. Slept well, white noise of the AC blocked out the outside noise. Fine, but nothing fantastic.
Food was ok...safe. Pigeons everywhere...on the tables, which is not classy. Himitsu was fantastic. Breakfast was a huge variety, but the same choices every day. All meals needed more fruit and vegetables!
Overall, Sunscape was not worth the $$$$.
We didn't let any of this spoil our trip...we had a fantastic time exploring this beautiful island.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
9 Thank HJEO
Columbia, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Sunscape Curacao from January 20-27, 2013. We booked our trip through Apple Vacations for a good price. I have Celiac Disease (gluten-free diet), so I emailed the concierge regarding how they would handle this. They replied and stated that I could get a letter from the front desk to carry with me to inform the chefs/managers of my allergy. I also requested a list of spa services, which I did not receive until I returned home. Guess they were working in Island Time.
Upon arriving at the resort, we checked in and requested to not be in the Tower building as we heard it was noisy and many rooms had not been renovated as of yet. They booked us in the Pelican building on the north end of the resort. The room was renovated and very nice. We paid for a “garden view” and got an “Ocean View” which opened up onto the kiddie pool area and Oceana bar. It was beautiful. We had everything right outside our door. The Oceana serves drinks and food all day and into early evening. Iona was sure to make us whatever we requested and Chin Ping and Llouangelo made sure our every drink needs were met with a smile and good conversation. The beach was a few more steps and was very pleasant. There were plenty of lounge chairs, many that were shaded to avoid the Caribbean sun. There were kayaks, snorkel gear including lift vests, catamarans, windsurfers and paddle boats all available all day long for FREE. We made good use of all the equipment. The snorkeling was wonderful. You swim out about 100 yards and can see all kinds of fish. I even saw an octopus and moray eel. I would bring some water shoes as there is quite a bit of coral in the sand and can be really hard to walk on. Also, there is always security guarding the beach. The main pool/entertainment area was clean and busy most of the time. We didn’t use the pools, but the entertainment was of good quality.
As for dining, Igor the concierge was extremely helpful with getting me the promised letter regarding my food allergy and notified the seven restaurants. We dined most of the time in the World Café (buffet) restaurant. I did request a manager/chef one or twice regarding my allergies. They were very helpful, especially Elvis, but it took them a while to help me and then a bit longer to cook me food. They did not have any gluten free bread or pasta, but had a large variety of food I could eat. The sit down restaurants would tell me what I could and couldn’t eat, but they did not offer to make me anything I could eat. I had to just eat what they had without the sauce or breading. Once again, the bar staff was very good, especially Chin Ping. He is very creative with his drinks and went out of his was to get ingredients if he didn’t have them at the Oceana bar.
During the week, we took some classes (windsurfing, stretching) and enjoyed them. I also treated myself to a massage and pedicure. We received some discount coupons for spa services when we arrived and this made my services very affordable. I made all my appointments with the help of Melani who was very knowledgeable and helpful. I am a massage therapist and pretty picky about my massages. Christine gave me a wonderful massage and made me feel really comfortable and relaxed. Raphaela gave me a great pedicure and we laughed as we tried to have a conversation with the little bit of English she knew and the little bit of Spanish I knew. She was very sweet.
The main reason we vacationed in Curacao was so I could become more comfortable with diving. I am a new diver and really liked the idea of walking across the resort to do one dive a day with a guide (and my husband). The resort includes one free dive a day, so it did not cost us ANYTHING extra. This is a huge perk. The dive shop staff was wonderful and made sure we were safe. The dives were cancelled some days due to strong currents, but they let us do two dives for free the next day. They also had lockers available for our belongings.
Daily, we received a flyer in our room listing the day’s activities, restaurant schedules and drink of the day. This was very helpful, but the restaurant schedules were never right. I heard many complaints about this from guests. The Bluewater Grille has limited seating and you really need to be there 30-45 minutes before dinner seating. However, you don’t always know what time that is. The same was true for the other sitdown restaurants.
We really enjoyed our stay. I believe it was perfect for the price we paid. We made good use of the “all Inclusive” aspects of the resort. In my opinion, I would not consider this a “luxury” resort, but it was clean and the staff was very friendly and helpful. It was obvious they like their jobs and pride themselves in making the guests happy. Thanks again to the above mentioned staff, as well as the jovial security guard named Jadier who made me laugh several times and the front desk worker, Chris who listened to my plethora of questions regarding internet and the daily schedule.
One last note, we rented a car from the company in the lobby. I think it was Thrifty. It was a bargain, convenient and the drive around the island was priceless.

Room Tip: W stayed in the Pelican building and it was nicely renovated and quiet. Opened right up to the Ocean...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Toucanfran2
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

We just came back from one week and were very happy with our stay. Yes some of the rooms are older so ask for a new one. We found the food excellent at the Italian and Japanese restaurants. Sherman and Eli at the Japanese restaurant were very good. There was also one other lady at the Japanese restaurant who was very nice but I unfortunately forgot her name. She was so nice trying to help me when my 11 year old daughter was acting up with attitude. She was trying to help at several points and finally my daughter came around.

I have never had a trip where everything was perfect. There will always be something that could be better. This hotel was great value for the money for a family as there were many things you could be charged for which we were not. Such as a la carte every night for no extra cost, brand name drinks at no extra cost, catamaran trips no extra cost, bus to the capital city at no extra cost, water boats like paddle boats at no extra cost. I see people complaining about no wi if. I like wi if at saw this also as a negative before the trip, but after being there I am glad we had nine. My kids 11 and 13 were off their iPods and iPads and we got to do things together. The snorkelling at this resort is outstanding. You will see incredible Maine line 100 feet from shore.

I would recommend this hotel to any family.

One note. I felt a little sorry for some of the workers there as I could see they are really trying to please guests and I think some of the changes at the hotel mean they are learning new things. Too many times I saw guests treat some of the workers poorly with attitude. I am grateful most did not seem to be Canadian. Treat people you meet well when you go overseas. They are hard working people in a tough industry and deserve our respect.

Room Tip: If you got attitude and are expecting a 5 star resort stay home. If you are a family looking for...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank Jack S
Leicester, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

This island is beautiful! The resort recently changed hands and is still working out the kinks but overall is was a good time! We read reviews before our trip which were somewhat negative and left us concerned however it was very helpful to follow the recommendation to stay in The Pelican building. The specialty restaurants were excellent with great food and service. We especially enjoyed the Oceana with service from Ruthnaira.The watersports and equipment were lots of fun however,they need to place a time limit on paddle boats and kyacks on weekends when "day groups" visit. They really made an effort on Super Bowl Sunday to make it fun and festive!!! The concierge and front desk was very helpful. The grounds were beautiful and the staff was friendly. They need to continue to improve. We would come back again.

Room Tip: Since they are still renovating request the Pelican Building or Flamingo. We heard from other visit...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Barb M
Caledon, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

Ask for a room in the renovated part of hotel. Rooms starting with a 7 or 8 seem to be all quite nice and fairly updated. We were in a '6', although decor updated, bathroom rough, 1/2 balcony (can't sit on it). No blankets in the room, found it chilly with AC at times, would've liked a blanket. Food overall was good in all restaurants especially Italian and the Japanese, but service slow in between courses, especially in Italian. We were with a group; some bars ran out of certain booze and mix at night i.e. Baileys; also if you want to upgrade the wine it's limited. Overall had a good time, pool and beach areas were nice, staff friendly. Towel service not always available although got better as week went on. Check in and out process extremely slow and person who checks you in can't handle the credit card, so then you are passed to the 'money' person, who if busy with someone else, you have to wait again. Also, they wouldn't pre authorize more than $100 on the credit card each time, so if our wine exceeded the limit that night for dinner (upgrading for a group), it was a process - had to go to front desk again to get it straightened out. So unnecessary. Wi-Fi at $40US per week not worth it - pretty much nonexistent in your room, unless you get lucky and even around pool area hard to pick up. Go to town and sit in a cafe...you have instant Wi Fi.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the renovated part of hotel. Rooms starting with a 7 or 8 seem to be all quite ni...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank waneki
Also consider these accommodations in or near Willemstad
Van der Valk Kontiki Beach Resort
Lions Dive & Beach Resort Curacao
Scuba Lodge & Suites
Scuba Lodge & Suites
#2 of 32 in Willemstad
Floris Suite Hotel - Spa & Beach Club
Renaissance Curacao Resort & Casino
Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao

Been to Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino? Share your experiences!