“Sunscape Curaceo - nice place with potential”

Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Willemstad
Caledon, Canada
“Sunscape Curaceo - nice place with potential”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Ask for a room in the renovated part of hotel. Rooms starting with a 7 or 8 seem to be all quite nice and fairly updated. We were in a '6', although decor updated, bathroom rough, 1/2 balcony (can't sit on it). No blankets in the room, found it chilly with AC at times, would've liked a blanket. Food overall was good in all restaurants especially Italian and the Japanese, but service slow in between courses, especially in Italian. We were with a group; some bars ran out of certain booze and mix at night i.e. Baileys; also if you want to upgrade the wine it's limited. Overall had a good time, pool and beach areas were nice, staff friendly. Towel service not always available although got better as week went on. Check in and out process extremely slow and person who checks you in can't handle the credit card, so then you are passed to the 'money' person, who if busy with someone else, you have to wait again. Also, they wouldn't pre authorize more than $100 on the credit card each time, so if our wine exceeded the limit that night for dinner (upgrading for a group), it was a process - had to go to front desk again to get it straightened out. So unnecessary. Wi-Fi at $40US per week not worth it - pretty much nonexistent in your room, unless you get lucky and even around pool area hard to pick up. Go to town and sit in a cafe...you have instant Wi Fi.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the renovated part of hotel. Rooms starting with a 7 or 8 seem to be all quite ni...
4 Thank waneki

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,365)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Noord, Aruba
Reviewed February 17, 2013

When i called to make the reservation on friday the 15th, the front desk put me through to the reservation department, and they hung up the telephone. After the fifth time trying and I finally ,made a reservation. I asked if the transportation to and from the report is included and the lady said yes. I gave her my arrival and departure time. I gave my credit card information and got a confirmation number.

After arriving at 19.50 at the airport i went to the lady with the Sunscape resort sign. She said my name is not on 'the list'. She proceeded to call her manager, who called and confirmed I had a reservation, but since i'm not on 'the list' the front desk manager named Kurt at Sunscape, told her I had to wait for other guests to arrive half an hour later with American Airlines. I sat on a chair IN THE DARK waiting for half an hour, for her to tell me they didn't arrive and that I now have to wait more than half an hour for people to arrive from Surinam with Insel Air. I asked her to speak to the manager, because i had no telephone connection with my cell. She said: ' i'm not wasting my telephone card on calling my manager again'. So after waiting and waiting, i took a taxi which cost me 40 dollars.

I arrived at the hotel at 22.00 and told the manager on duty what happened. She said they would refund the 40 dollars in the morning. I said i don't have much time in the morning because my reason for travel is a business meeting in the morning. She said no worries she will leave a report.

I ate food that was disgusting. Hot dogs and hamburgers were dried out, and rice was like little pieces of rock. They sat there for god knows how long to get so dried out. Besides that I got LOTS OF MOSQUITO BITES in the restaurant! I waited 20 minutes to get a coca cola from a waitress who looked at me like I was not welcome.

I went to my room and it smelled like alcohol and had dirty towels on the floor and trash laying around. The phone didn't work to call the front desk, so I walked all the way back. The second room had a used soap bar in the bathroom. But I was done complaining and just went to sleep.

Next morning I checked out, and the lady said you are OK to leave. I said no, i still need to get the change from last night plus the taxi fare. She said oh yes, i have 10 dollars change from last night but not the 40 dollars taxi fare. I needed to leave for my meeting, so i left.

I HAD to wright a review, because not even at a 2 star hotel I've been treated this bad. Bad food, worst service, and not all inclusive with transportation. Dirty rooms and waist of time waiting and begging for service that is suppose to be included.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
11 Thank Giselle D
Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We stayed at Sunscape from Feb. 3 to Feb. 10/13. I have to admit that I was a little apprehensive due to some of the reviews that I had read prior to our departure but we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We were a group of 4 couples. Some of us had rooms in the Tower. Although, it has not been renovated yet, our room and balcony were quite large and it was very quiet in that section. The room was attended to at least once a day so we never had a shortage of towels, soap, shampoo and drinks in our room. We did not have a fridge in our room like some of the renovated rooms but we managed without. We did not spend a lot of time in our room anyway.
The week we were there was not especially busy so it made it quite pleasant at the pool and on the beach. We never had trouble getting chairs at either place, although, I must complain that many times when I went to get beach towels, I was told that there were none. We made use of most of the amenities that the resort provided. Some of us went to the spa and had massages. They were nice and relaxing! We went out on the hobie cats, kayaks and paddleboats which were a lot of fun. I really liked that you could snorkel right there at the resort. You just had to swim out to the breaker to see the fish.
The entertainment team are a great group of people like Choo Choo, O'Bryan, Jonathan, to name a few! There were activities going on everyday that you could participate in, if so desired. I have to say that all the employees were very friendly and accommodating.
We had no problem getting into the restaurants and found the food very good. We really enjoyed Himitsu restaurant as they put on quite a show while they are cooking the food in front of us. We were looked after very attentively by Movetta on our second night at this restaurant. Luis, the restaurant manager, was always around at the restaurants checking on how our food was and how the service was, etc. Enjoyed dining at the Oceana as it felt like we were right on the beach having dinner and the food was good there too. We ate at the Grill a few times for lunch and dinner and enjoyed the food there too. We only had dinner at the World Cafe once but had breakfast there everyday and some lunches and had no trouble finding something that we liked. The ice cream is the best kept secret at the World Cafe. It was one of the best that I've had anywhere!
We took the 10 minute walk from the resort to the Seaquarium and it was well worth it. The dolpin and sea lion shows were entertaining and the interactive part of the tour with the sharks, stingrays, etc. was very good. We also took the hotel shuttle into Willemstad one day and shopped and explored this pretty city.
We had a great week at Sunscape! We have stayed at nicer resorts but Sunscape had everything that we wanted to make our holiday enjoyable and memorable. We would recommend this resort and would definitely like to go back sometime.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Joyce H
Freeport, Trinidad
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Overall I would recommend this hotel. It really lived up to its all-inclusive potential, there were lots of opportunities for food and drink. Our room was nicely decorated and comfortable, and had a beautiful view. The staff on average were courteous and tried to be helpful. Indeed there were quite a few staff members who went beyond the call of duty. However there was lot left to be desired when it came to the accomplishment of requests. For example we asked for an extra blanket and some towels, and although the staff promised it would be there soon we never got it, despite many calls to housekeeping. We also had some problems when checking in. It took us 2-3 hrs to be given a room, and the administration was unable to give us any information as to why the long wait.

Positives:
Very family friendly, lots of activities for children.
Friendly and helpful staff
Lots of food and drink options.
Nice grounds and pools.
Beachfront and water sports.

Negatives:
Lack of accomplishment of requests

Trinidad
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Excellent service with friendly staff. I must admit I was worried based on reviews but I was pleasantly surprised to find a very efficient and organized operation. Lots of activities for kids with friendly staff. The food was great esp the breakfast menu at World Cafe. Overall its value for money and then some. Will definitely recommend and revisit soon!

• Stayed February 2013
13 Thank stephaniechhita
Tiffany-Juliana, Guest Relations Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear guest
First of all we thank you for have chosen our resort for your vacation. We also thank you for taking the time to share with us and our future guests your experience at the resort as true feedback like these are very valuable to us.

We are glad to hear that you will be coming back soon to visit us again. It will be more than a pleasure having you back Home with us.

Feel free to send me an email at info.sucur@sunscaperesorts.com for your next trip.

Kindest Regards,
Burlington
Reviewed February 12, 2013

This resort has potential as it has a good location.

Don’t necessarily take the following as complaints but as observations. Overall we had a good week.

General: The lobby area and grounds were very nice, with plenty of beach loungers (in good condition) and all the tables and chairs round the pool were new.

Rooms: We were in the 5/6 story building room 2227, which was very large and was supposed to have been renovated. Our room had old chipped pink and green tiled floors with dirty grout. In the bathroom the sink tap was all loose so you had to hold the body to turn it on and most of the bathroom fixtures were rusty.

There were plenty of towels and shampoos etc each day.

The TV was a new flat screen with plenty of channels in English

Restaurants: World Café, which is the buffet restaurant, was ok but was spoilt by the lack of lighting hard to see what you were eating at night.

The breakfast buffet was fine but lunch and dinner was short on choice and poorly presented.

Also they did not open for lunch till 12.30, which is late usually, open 12.00 even 11.30.

Blue Water Grille: Ate here 3 times and the service and food was great.

Da Mario: The service here was terrible hour and half from ordering till being served the main course. Had to ask many times for a glass of wine.

Oceana : We were served here buy a new waitress who was very nice but had obviously never given any training which spoilt the meal some what. Food was good.

Bars: All the bars were fine and the drinks very good they served you premium alcohol if you asked.

The management needs to sort out restaurant opening times as the daily sheet, arrival fact sheet and door posted times never agree. Also there are bars etc mentioned on the map and fact sheet that do not appear to exist.

As I said at the beginning none of this affected our vacation.

8 Thank t2311ps
CurJB, General Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Guests,
First of all, on behalf of the staff and management we thank you for taking the time to share a review of your vacation with us. True reviews like yours help us to identify our strengths but more import to acknowledge our shortcomings so we can take immediate corrective actions.

We are happy that in overall you had a good vacation but as you can understand we are here to ensure our guests have an excellent one. So please accept our sincere apologies for not be able to have provided an excellent experience but we are working very dedicated to get to that stage. We thank you once more for your detailed review and going thru it I would like to share the following with you.

The 5/6 story building has not been renovated as yet and I am sorry that you were under the impression that these were also done. The renovation will take place in the spring / summer months and scheduled to be ready around August and as the building is on its own it will not have any business interruption. All rooms and suites will be getting new tiles, a complete redone bathroom, new closet doors and both new furniture and soft goods (bedding, drapes etc). Furthermore the minibars are arriving any time next month and also we have received the I-Dock to replace the old CD players for this building. So while the renovations still has to start we are already adding some of the Sunscape amenities. What we did is to add new elevators and the Panorama is in operations while the 2nd one will be placed back into service as of February.

Regarding the World Café, indeed this is not fully done as we miss the lightening and also some additional decors on the walls that should be arriving from oversees also in March. In the mean time I will be asking the team to ensure to have table lights or candles on the tables. Thank you for sharing this with us.

The Executive Chef is working on the new menus for both lunch and dinner and have the staff trained properly as the World Cafe should provide to our guests the taste of various cuisine. We do have two beach snack bars open - one from 10am and the other from 11.30 reason why the buffet only opens at 12.30 and what we will ensure is that at both these there are variety in snacks to be served.

I am happy to read that the Blue water was found great and rest assured that the staff will be shared this comment too.

I am so sorry that at the Da Mario the service terrible. We did get the beepers in so now we have a rotation system where the guests will be seated as soon as a table comes free. I have noticed a change immediately in the service and the guests are also happy with the introduction of these.

I will pass your feedback on the Oceana to the training manager so she can focus to ensure all the servers are properly trained.

It is great to read that the bars were very good and let me know what we can do to make it excellent.

We went thru the Sundial and the factsheet so we can ensure that all the correct names are mentioned. The main bar has though two levels - the upper level is the Sugar Reef and the swim-up bar is the Manatees bar. The desire sport bar is where the corezone is located and the lobby bar rendezvous is in operations.

We are happy that you had a good vacation and we thank you again for your valuable feedback. We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future and please do not hesitate to contact me at any time.

Sunsationally yours,
Jeanette M. Hooi-Bonet
jbonet@sunscaperesorts.com
Oakville, Canada
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I just returned from Sunscape with my family and we had a great week. A majority of the staff were wonderful. I have three year old twins and the staff in the Kids Club were amazing with them. It was a quiet week at the resort so they had their undivided attention. The kids area was clean and the park area attached was well shaded. There didn't appear to be any time limits on the length of time allowed per day and each night they had a dinner planned for the kids. It was wonderful to have a quiet dinner and the kids had an amazing time with the staff. Thanks to Marvetta, Roxy, Tirzan, Stephanie, Yakira and all the other staff. Great job.

Family movies are screened nightly on the beach. And on most night popcorn and drinks were provided.

Some quick restaurant tips
The buffet (World Cafe) is at best a 5 out of 10
The Italian (de Mario) is is no way worth the wait. Ridiculously slow. It took two hours to get our meal and in the end gave up before dessert came.
Japanese (Himitsu) don't miss this restaurant. Food was great, staff was amazing its a fun evening. It's very similar to Benihana except you get more chicken, shrimp, fish, and steak yum yum!
Seafood (Oceana) we didn't t go but I head amazing things from everyone that did go.
Grill (Bluewater Grill) Good food and service. It's steak, chicken, ribs. It's a beautiful setting on the water overlooking the sunset. You shouldn't miss this restaurant and look for the "flying fish". So amazing to see.

For a quick afternoon bite try the Oceana Grill. Iman (??) the cook is friendly and food is made to order, grilled chicken sandwiches, grilled fish, fries, nachos, popcorn, hamburgers etc.

The pool at the far end of the resort is peaceful and quiet. They seemed to have renovated this whole area. New loungers and amazing cabana style loungers. And surprising very few people.

Upon arrival in Curauo the airport was slow and warm. It's took about an 1:40 to get from airport immigration to the hotel. Too many line ups at the airport. But once you get to the actual hotel it moves quickly.

When preparing to leave save you incoming boarding passes and or luggage tags as the Sunquest desk will print your new boarding passes 24 hrs in advance. And try tomgetnthere early to book your bus back to the airport. They have three buses at three different times. We ended up taking a taxi back to the airport. It was $35 for a group of 4.

The beach is nice and there were pleanty of loungers available.

The gym was better than I expected. They has 2 treadmills, a wave, elliptical, 2 bikes, and a wide selection of weight machines and free weights.

The spa looked nice but I didn't book any services. I was told a one hr massage was $70. So sounds like average

Hope this helps.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Jenniferc57
Also consider these accommodations in or near Willemstad
Van der Valk Kontiki Beach Resort
Lions Dive & Beach Resort Curacao
Scuba Lodge & Suites
Scuba Lodge & Suites
#2 of 32 in Willemstad
Floris Suite Hotel - Spa & Beach Club
Renaissance Curacao Resort & Casino
Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao

Been to Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino? Share your experiences!