“Had a great time!”

Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Willemstad
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We stayed at Sunscape from Feb. 3 to Feb. 10/13. I have to admit that I was a little apprehensive due to some of the reviews that I had read prior to our departure but we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We were a group of 4 couples. Some of us had rooms in the Tower. Although, it has not been renovated yet, our room and balcony were quite large and it was very quiet in that section. The room was attended to at least once a day so we never had a shortage of towels, soap, shampoo and drinks in our room. We did not have a fridge in our room like some of the renovated rooms but we managed without. We did not spend a lot of time in our room anyway.
The week we were there was not especially busy so it made it quite pleasant at the pool and on the beach. We never had trouble getting chairs at either place, although, I must complain that many times when I went to get beach towels, I was told that there were none. We made use of most of the amenities that the resort provided. Some of us went to the spa and had massages. They were nice and relaxing! We went out on the hobie cats, kayaks and paddleboats which were a lot of fun. I really liked that you could snorkel right there at the resort. You just had to swim out to the breaker to see the fish.
The entertainment team are a great group of people like Choo Choo, O'Bryan, Jonathan, to name a few! There were activities going on everyday that you could participate in, if so desired. I have to say that all the employees were very friendly and accommodating.
We had no problem getting into the restaurants and found the food very good. We really enjoyed Himitsu restaurant as they put on quite a show while they are cooking the food in front of us. We were looked after very attentively by Movetta on our second night at this restaurant. Luis, the restaurant manager, was always around at the restaurants checking on how our food was and how the service was, etc. Enjoyed dining at the Oceana as it felt like we were right on the beach having dinner and the food was good there too. We ate at the Grill a few times for lunch and dinner and enjoyed the food there too. We only had dinner at the World Cafe once but had breakfast there everyday and some lunches and had no trouble finding something that we liked. The ice cream is the best kept secret at the World Cafe. It was one of the best that I've had anywhere!
We took the 10 minute walk from the resort to the Seaquarium and it was well worth it. The dolpin and sea lion shows were entertaining and the interactive part of the tour with the sharks, stingrays, etc. was very good. We also took the hotel shuttle into Willemstad one day and shopped and explored this pretty city.
We had a great week at Sunscape! We have stayed at nicer resorts but Sunscape had everything that we wanted to make our holiday enjoyable and memorable. We would recommend this resort and would definitely like to go back sometime.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Joyce H
Write a ReviewReviews (4,980)

Reviewed February 16, 2013

Overall I would recommend this hotel. It really lived up to its all-inclusive potential, there were lots of opportunities for food and drink. Our room was nicely decorated and comfortable, and had a beautiful view. The staff on average were courteous and tried to be helpful. Indeed there were quite a few staff members who went beyond the call of duty. However there was lot left to be desired when it came to the accomplishment of requests. For example we asked for an extra blanket and some towels, and although the staff promised it would be there soon we never got it, despite many calls to housekeeping. We also had some problems when checking in. It took us 2-3 hrs to be given a room, and the administration was unable to give us any information as to why the long wait.

Positives:
Very family friendly, lots of activities for children.
Friendly and helpful staff
Lots of food and drink options.
Nice grounds and pools.
Beachfront and water sports.

Negatives:
Lack of accomplishment of requests

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Excellent service with friendly staff. I must admit I was worried based on reviews but I was pleasantly surprised to find a very efficient and organized operation. Lots of activities for kids with friendly staff. The food was great esp the breakfast menu at World Cafe. Overall its value for money and then some. Will definitely recommend and revisit soon!

• Stayed: February 2013
13  Thank stephaniechhita
Tiffany-Juliana, Guest Relations Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Dear guest
First of all we thank you for have chosen our resort for your vacation. We also thank you for taking the time to share with us and our future guests your experience at the resort as true feedback like these are very valuable to us.

We are glad to hear that you will be coming back soon to visit us again. It will be more than a pleasure having you back Home with us.

Feel free to send me an email at info.sucur@sunscaperesorts.com for your next trip.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed February 12, 2013

This resort has potential as it has a good location.

Don’t necessarily take the following as complaints but as observations. Overall we had a good week.

General: The lobby area and grounds were very nice, with plenty of beach loungers (in good condition) and all the tables and chairs round the pool were new.

Rooms: We were in the 5/6 story building room 2227, which was very large and was supposed to have been renovated. Our room had old chipped pink and green tiled floors with dirty grout. In the bathroom the sink tap was all loose so you had to hold the body to turn it on and most of the bathroom fixtures were rusty.

There were plenty of towels and shampoos etc each day.

The TV was a new flat screen with plenty of channels in English

Restaurants: World Café, which is the buffet restaurant, was ok but was spoilt by the lack of lighting hard to see what you were eating at night.

The breakfast buffet was fine but lunch and dinner was short on choice and poorly presented.

Also they did not open for lunch till 12.30, which is late usually, open 12.00 even 11.30.

Blue Water Grille: Ate here 3 times and the service and food was great.

Da Mario: The service here was terrible hour and half from ordering till being served the main course. Had to ask many times for a glass of wine.

Oceana : We were served here buy a new waitress who was very nice but had obviously never given any training which spoilt the meal some what. Food was good.

Bars: All the bars were fine and the drinks very good they served you premium alcohol if you asked.

The management needs to sort out restaurant opening times as the daily sheet, arrival fact sheet and door posted times never agree. Also there are bars etc mentioned on the map and fact sheet that do not appear to exist.

As I said at the beginning none of this affected our vacation.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
8  Thank t2311ps
CurJB, General Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Dear Guests,
First of all, on behalf of the staff and management we thank you for taking the time to share a review of your vacation with us. True reviews like yours help us to identify our strengths but more import to acknowledge our shortcomings so we can take immediate corrective actions.

We are happy that in overall you had a good vacation but as you can understand we are here to ensure our guests have an excellent one. So please accept our sincere apologies for not be able to have provided an excellent experience but we are working very dedicated to get to that stage. We thank you once more for your detailed review and going thru it I would like to share the following with you.

The 5/6 story building has not been renovated as yet and I am sorry that you were under the impression that these were also done. The renovation will take place in the spring / summer months and scheduled to be ready around August and as the building is on its own it will not have any business interruption. All rooms and suites will be getting new tiles, a complete redone bathroom, new closet doors and both new furniture and soft goods (bedding, drapes etc). Furthermore the minibars are arriving any time next month and also we have received the I-Dock to replace the old CD players for this building. So while the renovations still has to start we are already adding some of the Sunscape amenities. What we did is to add new elevators and the Panorama is in operations while the 2nd one will be placed back into service as of February.

Regarding the World Café, indeed this is not fully done as we miss the lightening and also some additional decors on the walls that should be arriving from oversees also in March. In the mean time I will be asking the team to ensure to have table lights or candles on the tables. Thank you for sharing this with us.

The Executive Chef is working on the new menus for both lunch and dinner and have the staff trained properly as the World Cafe should provide to our guests the taste of various cuisine. We do have two beach snack bars open - one from 10am and the other from 11.30 reason why the buffet only opens at 12.30 and what we will ensure is that at both these there are variety in snacks to be served.

I am happy to read that the Blue water was found great and rest assured that the staff will be shared this comment too.

I am so sorry that at the Da Mario the service terrible. We did get the beepers in so now we have a rotation system where the guests will be seated as soon as a table comes free. I have noticed a change immediately in the service and the guests are also happy with the introduction of these.

I will pass your feedback on the Oceana to the training manager so she can focus to ensure all the servers are properly trained.

It is great to read that the bars were very good and let me know what we can do to make it excellent.

We went thru the Sundial and the factsheet so we can ensure that all the correct names are mentioned. The main bar has though two levels - the upper level is the Sugar Reef and the swim-up bar is the Manatees bar. The desire sport bar is where the corezone is located and the lobby bar rendezvous is in operations.

We are happy that you had a good vacation and we thank you again for your valuable feedback. We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future and please do not hesitate to contact me at any time.

Sunsationally yours,
Jeanette M. Hooi-Bonet
jbonet@sunscaperesorts.com

Reviewed February 11, 2013

I just returned from Sunscape with my family and we had a great week. A majority of the staff were wonderful. I have three year old twins and the staff in the Kids Club were amazing with them. It was a quiet week at the resort so they had their undivided attention. The kids area was clean and the park area attached was well shaded. There didn't appear to be any time limits on the length of time allowed per day and each night they had a dinner planned for the kids. It was wonderful to have a quiet dinner and the kids had an amazing time with the staff. Thanks to Marvetta, Roxy, Tirzan, Stephanie, Yakira and all the other staff. Great job.

Family movies are screened nightly on the beach. And on most night popcorn and drinks were provided.

Some quick restaurant tips
The buffet (World Cafe) is at best a 5 out of 10
The Italian (de Mario) is is no way worth the wait. Ridiculously slow. It took two hours to get our meal and in the end gave up before dessert came.
Japanese (Himitsu) don't miss this restaurant. Food was great, staff was amazing its a fun evening. It's very similar to Benihana except you get more chicken, shrimp, fish, and steak yum yum!
Seafood (Oceana) we didn't t go but I head amazing things from everyone that did go.
Grill (Bluewater Grill) Good food and service. It's steak, chicken, ribs. It's a beautiful setting on the water overlooking the sunset. You shouldn't miss this restaurant and look for the "flying fish". So amazing to see.

For a quick afternoon bite try the Oceana Grill. Iman (??) the cook is friendly and food is made to order, grilled chicken sandwiches, grilled fish, fries, nachos, popcorn, hamburgers etc.

The pool at the far end of the resort is peaceful and quiet. They seemed to have renovated this whole area. New loungers and amazing cabana style loungers. And surprising very few people.

Upon arrival in Curauo the airport was slow and warm. It's took about an 1:40 to get from airport immigration to the hotel. Too many line ups at the airport. But once you get to the actual hotel it moves quickly.

When preparing to leave save you incoming boarding passes and or luggage tags as the Sunquest desk will print your new boarding passes 24 hrs in advance. And try tomgetnthere early to book your bus back to the airport. They have three buses at three different times. We ended up taking a taxi back to the airport. It was $35 for a group of 4.

The beach is nice and there were pleanty of loungers available.

The gym was better than I expected. They has 2 treadmills, a wave, elliptical, 2 bikes, and a wide selection of weight machines and free weights.

The spa looked nice but I didn't book any services. I was told a one hr massage was $70. So sounds like average

Hope this helps.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Jenniferc57
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We were at Sunscape January 20-27, 2013 and we had a wonderful family vacation even though there were a few problems with our rooms etc. We were at this same resort two years ago and decided to return because we had such a great experience the first time that we were there. I am part of the same group as,”Second Time-Things have changed”, dated January 28, 2013. I will try to add rather than repeat in my report.

Some Pros:
-Sunscape Curacao is a great resort for a family vacation with young children. The location of the resort near the airport and Willemstad and the beautiful beach setting are real pluses. Almost everything is close together and family friendly. Our group ranged in age from 3 years to 64 years. Some of our group would on the beach playing in the sand, snorkeling or using the paddle boats or kayaks, others would be in one of the pools and we were all still close to each other. Drinks and food were always nearby with good choices for kids as well as adults. On our second day, we were able to get two ground floor rooms. Then it was easy for the kids to take a sun break as needed.
-The front line staff was very ready and willing to address any of our requests or concerns. Suzanne and ?, (sorry I have forgotten the other lady’s name) made the birthday celebration for our grandchildren a very special evening. These ladies are outstanding at their jobs and were so genuine in their wish to make the celebration special. Igor did a wonderful job helping us to arrange for a yummy birthday cake and a photographer for family photos (see separate posting).
-We could walk from the resort to the Curacao Sea Aquarium. Everyone in our group thoroughly enjoyed our time at the Aquarium.

Some Cons:
-There issues with our rooms. I had sent an email to the resort and I had received an email response from Kurt Klaber concerning our accommodations before we arrived. However, our rooms were not at all suitable for our family group. Our rooms were all on the same floor, but they were not next to each other and the adults could not sit outside together in the evening after the children had gone to sleep. We told the front desk our concerns and were able to move to more suitable rooms the next day. Chris and Suzie (sp?) did a great job working with us to improve our situation. I tried to be clear in my email to Kurt about our greatest needs as far as our rooms. When he was not able to accommodate our needs, a personal email would have been very helpful. We had young children in our group and our stay would not have been nearly as pleasant if we had had to remain in the rooms that were first assigned to us.
-There seemed to be a number of gaps in communication between staff and also to guests. I won’t go into details, others have done so. Talking to the front line staff seemed to be the best approach. Hopefully these communication problems will be resolved in the near future.

In closing, we all enjoyed our week at Sunscape and would not hesitate to return.

Room Tip: If you not happy with your assigned room talk to the front desk.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank grandma2
Reviewed February 11, 2013

This is not a glitzy resort. It is still under renovations (which don't bother you) and will be even better when completed. However before our trip we saw some horrible reviews and were worried about going so I felt the need to write a review and give a different prospective. We thoroughly enjoyed our vacation here. The weather was gorgeous. You can relax on the beach (plenty of chairs-you never have a problem finding the perfect spot), and the snorkelling is amazing right there at the resort. The renovations are not complete so some rooms are tired but very clean and our room was very large. We found the food was great. Lots of selection at the buffet for all meals. The a la cartes were very, very good. No reservations and no limits on how many times you can use them. Yes, a couple times you had to wait for a table but we didn't mind as they gave you a beeper and you got to sit at the pool deck, get served a drink and listen to live music for the 20 or so minutes you waited. We enjoyed it. If you didn't want the buffet or a la cartes at dinner, you could always go to the beach bar for delicious barbecue. You should try the Japanese restaurant though, as Sherman is so fun to watch. The staff was very friendly. Most of them spoke many languages. The entertainment team was great and there were lots of little activities if you wanted to participate. The entertainment was not big glamorous sit down shows-it was usually live music and dancing. We really enjoyed it -everyone gathered around the pool area at tables and enjoyed the evening music. The drinks are great at the 4 bars. They even have premium alcohol that you don't see at other resorts (crown royal, cognacs etc) all included. The sea aquarium is about a ten minute walk away and there is also a shuttle to town. Many people rented cars to tour the island and said it was very easy to get around and very safe. I am not a diver but the resort did provide a boat and free, yes free, diving excursions everyday.
So if you are looking for sunny, warm weather on a beautiful, safe island and an all inclusive place to stay where the food and drinks are great and the staff is very friendly, helpful and fun this would be a great choice!

Room Tip: We stayed in the tower area which was not yet renovated. However we had a huge room that was very cl...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple