Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Willemstad
Reviewed February 6, 2013

My family and I traveled to the Sunscape Resort from Jan 27-Feb 3. The food was delicious, felt right at home and did not get sick once. The staff there were so amazing and accommodating. 'Mama Love', 'Baby Love', Tim, and Chin Pin Li were so wonderful and waited on our every need. The snorkeling and underwater life was beautiful. Such a beautiful town with so many nice people to meet. Our service was excellent and I look forward to one day returning!

5  Thank jackie w
Write a ReviewReviews (4,980)

Reviewed February 6, 2013

We stayed here January 2013. Definitely not a 5-star resort. We had three rooms for our party. Two rooms were ocean view. Mine, you technically could see a bit of water around the bar top/trees. Room was extremely small, dark, dirty, and if you were on the bed, the TV was on the side wall and not visible from bed. The other two rooms were spacious and clean. We went to the front desk to see about getting a different room. Darling stated there was availability for the ocean front room in two days. We wanted something else sooner. She got the manager. "Michael" came out to "help" us. He said there was nothing he could do for us since the other two rooms were "upgrades" even though all were booked at the same time and cost the same. He said we could have the other room for $50/night more. We said Darling stated we could have that room on Sunday. He turned to her and asked in an accusatory tone, "did you say that." She got flustered and said "no." Meanwhile over six of us were aghast she lied in front of us and that he was completely unwilling to help us out. After an hour of trying to get a decent room, he offered another room, but not the "ocean front" (he still wanted additional money for the available room). We said we wanted to look at it before we took it because of how awful the other room was. We asked for some sort of comp for all thr trouble, Michael just laughed and said there is nothing he could do. I asked for internet, he said the only internet at the resort, you had to purchase and only available in Buidling 7 (where we were). We accepted the room we looked at as the room was adequate. We are tired, getting bit by mosquitos standing at the front desk. We lost out on getting sun that day because we spent two hours trying to get a decent room. Very unprofessional of Michael and Darling. Michael said as a favor he would "give us access to the priority club computer which has internet." Actually, this is the "business center" with ONE computer for 341 rooms. People wait in line to use the computer. Ridiculous and unprofessional of Michael to lie to guests. Apparently, he doesn't care about guests, their comfort, or getting return business. He was an extremely arrogant person who didn't care we didn't get what we paid for.

The air conditioning units are very loud. Some rooms you cannot change the temperature--on or off. No blankets or extra pillows in the rooms. You have to ask for them, but you get a minimum of one day later. Rooms are not vacuumed each day. Purposely left sand on the floor to check cleaning, and it stayed there the entire stay. I'm betting it's still there. Bathrooms are small. Door hits toilet when opened. Did I mention NO WIFI??? Beds are very hard. Only one sitting chair per room. Patio doors don't always lock. Some safes are not functioning. Mismatched tile on floors. Worn rugs. This is in the "remodelled building 7" so I cannot imagine what the other buildings look like. Ridiculous for all inclusive. They boasted a $10M renovation, so we booked this last fall thinking all would be new. Some bathrooms were somewhat redone and a new coat of paint. Definitely not remodeled. Wash clothes are available, only upon request. Even then you have to request more because they bring one per room. Three resort restaurants were closed on Tuesday night. Two were closed on Sunday and Monday nights? You can imagine the congestion at the remaining restaurants. They did not get extra wait staff at the open ones to accommodate the large crowds. Ridiculous to close any resort all inclusive restaurant at any time.

Sand should be raked everywhere every day and beach cleaned up. There was yesterday's trash laying around. Glasses from tables are not picked up until the end of the day, so there are piles of glasses everywhere. Glasses are only rinsed, not washed. A stack of water glasses had yesterday's "red devil" drinks running down them. Staff seems to be overworked. Same people are there ALL day--breakfast through dinner. Wait staff and bartenders are very friendly and fun and try hard to please, but there are not enough of them. We waited 15 min. to get a menu or drinks at the Italian restaurant. We finally went to the bar outside and brought in water and drinks.

Did I mention no WIFI? Go to the Kontiki Beach next door. It's free there.

The mini sail boats at the resort are very fun. There is snorkeling at the resort. They have a protected bay there that is good sized.

Not much for night life at the resort unless you make your own entertainment. No clubs.

Pools are decent sized. However, algae covers all the swim up tables and walls. Pools are not cleaned daily. Snorkel equipment is available for use for only up to an hour.

Resort restaurants are very good. Only went to buffet once for breakfast. Wide selection of food. Definitely not the highest quality food. Heard complaints from other guests hot items are not kept hot and cold are not kept cold. Food should be changed often, but it is not here.

Casino is a dive and should be closed. It is very dirty, VERY smoky, musty, and local hang out. Not a "Vegas style" casino at all.

I would recommend a trip to Curacao, but do not stay at the Sunscape. You will be disappointed if you are expecting a five-star resort. This is 2.5 at best due to management and facilities. Definitely not an opulent resort. Staff, again, is very friendly and helpful (excluding front desk). Grounds consists of a lot of grass. They could do so much more. Sprinklers are on during the day and get the sidewalks wet.

Work out facility is decent. Machines are old, but operational. Not a lot of room for floor exercises.

A few people from our group had massages on beach. They raved how good the ladies were and how good of a massage they received.

Sunsets views from this location are stunning.

Many inefficiencies in how the resort operates. The bartender should not have to leave to restock the bar. There should be someone to bring supplies to bar on a routine basis.

I left the do not disturb sign on the door because I wanted to sleep in, and housekeeping CALLED to wake me up. Not cool.

Do rent a car and tour the island. The rental car companies, however, do not give you a map. : (

Visit the Blue Curacao plant. Free samples. Yummy.

Room Tip: Building 7. Get the "ocean front" rooms which apparently, according to Michael, is a high...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank 4recreationist
Reviewed February 6, 2013

the property was still under renovations. was to have been completed last november. we did not get the room we had booked. some staff were not sure of what their duties were. Having said all this the food was really good. The weather aws really great. The staff when they knew what was their duties did a wonderful job. place is well laid out. Most guests were canadian. Very good entertainment.I would go back tomorrow if i could

Room Tip: call in advance to make sureyou get the room you want. Jeannette wil do her best to make you you hap...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank janet_nancekivell
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We spent one of our two weeks in Curacao at this resort in January 2013. We stayed in a room at Flamingo building at the end of the resort. The location was very good, quite silent. The room was newly renovated and nice. The beach was nice too, no problem to get sun beds at any time. We ate at World Café restaurant only, did not want to queue for other restaurants. There are some things which could be improved in my opinion, for example no need to be listening loud music from three different sources, especially under dinner. When they have a live music, why to have some disco music at the nearby bar on as well? This was not making any good atmosphere. Then at the cafe, when they want to be serving coffee from an automat, they could have at least two of them, to speed up serving. There was not enough beach towels, but this could be understood, especially when we could see that some guests had many of these. The courtesy transport from and to the airport was nice and efficient. We did also one trip to the town with the resort minibus. We enjoyed our stay at Sunscape but it was not so special there that we would like to come back.

4  Thank Kleopetra
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I admit that like others some of the previous reviews I had read had made me wonder why I was chosing this resort. I am so glad I didn't cancel my plans. This resort was wonderful. We stayed at this resort from Jan 20-Feb 3. Every day I saw some new improvement taking place on the resort.
When we arrived at the airport the transfer to the hotel was a bit confusing. However when we arrived at the hotel registration was quick and the staff friendly and welcoming. Newson and Kiphsiara at the front desk were very helpful during my stay.
The pools were clean and the beach area was raked every morning. You do not have to save chairs as there were always chairs available. They have a pool bar but not staffed at all times but you could get served once you got there attention. It was nice to have top shelf liquor offered. Be sure to see Jonathan, Renee and Norma who will take good care of you. They also have a coffee cafe where you can get coffees, teas and pastries. Carolina and Ana will take good care of you there.
The buffet food is good but there is little change in the menu. However there are restaurants you can go to without reservations. While we were there they changed to pagers to eliminate patrons standing in line awaiting their table. The Italian restaurant, Da Mario was the only one where long pants were required. The Lasagna was terrific. At the Bluewater Grill the spare ribs were the best. Mildred our waitress made the dinner special. Be sure to have the snapper at the Oceana. It melts in your mouth. For lunch the Bluewater Grill has the best fries and grilled fish. Overseeing all the restaurants was Luis. If you need anything he is always around, just ask. He is the best!
If you like snorkeling this is the place. You can snorkel right from the beach or swim out to the rocks. If snorkeling is not your thing then you can wade in waist high to see the fish as the water is crystal clear.
Our room was always clean and the fridge was stocked daily with juice, beer and soda.
Jeanette Hooi-Bonet, the general manager, is always around and available to hear about your experience. She is aiming to take this resort to the next level as soon as possible. As I said I saw something new in place every day, whether it was hand sanitizer at the restaurants, new electric info signs and pagers at the restaurants.
I almost forgot to mention the spa. Great massage and body treatments are offered.
I did have a problem with my cell phone and I heard others did too. They have an internet cafe where you could check your email. Once I could let my family know not to try calling me it was kind of nice not having to be attached to my phone during my vacation. I would definately come again and would recommend this resort to my friends and family.

9  Thank banklady
Reviewed February 4, 2013

My wife and I, along with two friends just returned from 2 weeks in Curacao at Sunscape Resort. It was once Breezes Resort. This resort has been run to the ground. The rooms are less than perfect, food is sub standard and trying to get issues resolved is a nightmare. The only thing positive to say is that the staff (entertainment, cleaning, etc.) are still there. The resort has been rated by Sunscape a 4-star resort. It is more a 2.5-3.0 at best. They try to sell you a timeshare which is over priced and not worth an investment. Our friends had a toilet problem that never was solved. Even with two weeks of daily complaining. Our first room was not the oceanview we had paid for. Our second room looked at the thatch roof of the Japanese restaurant. They "upgraded" us two levels. We spent our stay in a room with a full kitchen. Why do we need a kitchen in an all inclusive??? This was the second time at this resort and the very last one. Never again.

Room Tip: Rooms in the newly renovated area are better.
5  Thank Rick090905
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I stayed in the Sunscape resort for 7 days. I was a bit worried because of the horror reviews on tripadvisor but Í was pleasantly surprised when I arrived. I asked for a renovated room and they gave one to me straight away, no problem at all. Most of the staff is superfriendly. They really enjoy making conversation. I think this hotel is perfect for those who like snorkeling and sailing but don't expect 5 stars luxury. The private beach is right in front of the hotel. You can sign up for free short sailing trips every day and there is a super friendly snorkeling instructor Joel who will take you on a snorkelingtrip twice a day.
The only thing that could be improved in my opinion is the food and entertainment. The food is not great, a lot of pizza and fries but the Japanes restaurant and the grill restaurant are a lot better than the main buffet. Entertainment was there, live music and some dancing, but only untill about 9.30 pm. But he, I was there for snorkeling and not for a honeymoon. Had a great time!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo