“Wow, wow, wow...again!”

Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Willemstad
Iroquois Falls
“Wow, wow, wow...again!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

So my first review was deleted in the name change....*&^%$%^ TA!!!! Ill try to duplicate it as there were many many highlights from this trip!

So we got the steal of a deal of a lifetime on this trip. My partner (28 yr old male) and myself (29 yr old male) travelled here from Toronto March 25-December 2, 2012. Sunquest was the tour provider and West Jet was the charter flight. Was under 2100 for BOTH! From Toronto about a 5 h 20 min flight. Side note; I did something on this holiday i have never done before and that was prebook my seats on the plane....good idea! You sit where you want, and together at that!
This place is wonderful. The staff is well remunerated and work there by choice, not because it is the only thing available. They are happy and are the largest contributing factor to your enjoyment of this resort. This is not a 3rd world country. Never once did we feel obligated to tip, though it is appreciated for good service. American dollars are just as widely (if not more) accepted as the Guilder or Florran.
There was a great demograph at this resort also. 95% of the guests were 30-60 year old gay, lesbian, and straight couples with a very very few families. There were no obnoxiously drunk people making crude noise around the bar, no fat old men at the swim up bar who NEVER leave their seats…you know the people I am referring too!
We did not utilize and therefore cannot comment upon the services at the Spa and the Gym. I can simply confirm their existence!
Yes, there is ongoing renovations at this resort…I would not call it construction, but renovations yes. All of the buildings are getting a ‘top to bottom’ including the furniture, fixtures, and paint. That being said NEVER did any of the work disturb our holiday. NEVER were we awoken by the noise of construction or renovations.

ok...on to the specifics

Arrival

Brilliant idea to have people 'pre register' for the hotel upon arrival at the airport. Yes, you walk out of the plane into an un-air conditioned area, but come on people, this is your first taste of the heat :) :) :) Clearing customs was actually a pleasant experience! The customs official was genuinely happy to see our enthusiasm! Once you get your luggage and clear security you walk out the front doors of the airport. If your sunquest rep is not visible, don’t panic! Just 'follow the yellow brick road' or maybe just the yellow dots on the sidewalk...this will lead you to the Sunscape desk where you preregister for your room.

Transfer

Transfer to the resort from the airport was done by a company called Tropical Tours (I think). They were wearing brown/khaki shirts with green trim. There was one large bus and one tiny bus with a trailer. Transfer was less than 1/2 hour, and everyone on the bus is going to the same place, so no stops in between!

Check In

Check in, though congested was not an issue. You presented yourself to the very friendly, fluent in English front desk clerk who hands you a key to your room, has you sign a release, and gives you that days 'resort newsletter' (contains info about what is open, the drink of the day, nightly entertainment). This is not a huge open Caribbean lobby, but this isn’t the Caribbean, it’s the East Indies! The lobby is more akin to something found in Europe. Though I do not remember receiving directions to my room, or offered assistance to find my room I also don’t recall asking for it either!

Room

We were room 2126 (I think) in the Royal Tower. Our room was more than adequate with a nice balcony off the patio door. The bathroom did show signs of having been renovated (low flush toilets, updated vanity and bath) and the room had been painted. The only thing about the bathroom I question is the location of the TP dispenser....behind your head ha ha ha Sure it showed its age in some places, my best guess is this place is 20 years old...but come on folks, how many of us (like me) live in a century home in North America??? Furniture included 2 queen or 1 king bed, a table, 2 chairs, a lounging chair, 2 bedside tables, an iron, desk, dresser and television...on which you will find a lot of English! The house keeping was great, sheets changed daily, fresh towels if you want, drinks replenished every day. Though there is no frig in the room, there is an ice bucket and an ice machine on each floor.

I cannot say enough good things about the food here. Everyone can find something. Though the options on the buffet were limited, the entrées were amazing! I suspect this is directly correlated to the closure of the main buffet for repairs and renovations. That being said the tables were all set up on the pool deck for open air dining which was very nice. Covered by tents we had NO issues with any pigeons. One can find your usual rice, potatoes and veggies on the lunch and dinner buffets. Entrées I had for lunch and supper included Braised Ox Tail, Ribs, Roast Beef, Cornish Hen, Fish with capers, and Baked Lemon Fish. Of course there was your regular fare of cheese, meats, salad, bread, and soup. Breakfast included an omelette station, Hard Boiled Eggs, scrambled eggs, Bacon, Saussise, Hash Browns, fruit, and endlessly amazing coffee....thanks again Roosje :) Special Mention needs to be made of Madeline as well...this is a special lady. All week we enjoyed laughing and joking with her as well as her wonderful co-partner in crime; Hortense...these ladies know how to keep the amazing house red wine flowing :) It is ladies like Madeline, Hortense, Roosje and Carolina who make this resort a diamond in the rough. Luis, the Food and Beverage Manager made a point of introducing himself and seeking suggestions from all the guests. I know some managers here that could take a lesson from him!

Drinks

What can I say....the drinks were great, plentiful, and free flowing! At the Manatee bar Tim and Renée both make a mean Strawberry Shortcake :) Be careful not to let Baby Love pump too much Vitamin B into you :) The beer is a delightful Dutch brew called Amstel. Again, the staff was amazing. I was pleasantly surprised to see Crown Royal, Grey Goose and Ballentynes on the AI Bar, and the house wine was great…I sure drank enough  The beach bar seemed to be a bit more lax on their service at times (except the cute little gay chef)...unless of course you had something that I don’t :) Ladies got great service! Be sure to try out all the flavours of Curacao! There is also a great, though somewhat expensive a la carte wine menu!

Entertainment

The atmosphere created by the nightly entertainment was great. Throughout dinner there was a soft pianist, or trumpet player, or acoustic guitar player. Following the light dinner music there was always a show of some sort involving audience participation. Though I did not see much of the entertainment staff throughout the day, the entertainment schedule was clearly spelled out in the daily newsletter (left in your room the day before by the chambermaid) or on the big write on/wipe off board by the buffet.
Though we did not do any excursions we did venture off the resort a couple days to take a walk up town and a bus trip into Willimstad. Every single Curacao resident was just as pleasant and helpful as those we encountered on the resort! Very safe to walk around! While in Willimstad be sure to check out the slavery museum. Curacao was a busy port of call on the trans-Atlantic slave trade. The dune buggy trip directly across the street from the resort came HIGHLY recommended to us from a colleague who has also traveled here, though we did not indulge.

Casino

Yes folks, there is a Casino at the front of the resort. Resort guests as well as residents can enter the casino. I suspect it is a law in Curacao to have the Casino attached to the resort (and I thought Beer Vendors attached to Hotels in Manitoba was strange ha ha ha). Be careful you are playing in the currency (USD or FL) you want to be, and watch there are many multi-denom slot machines here so make sure you are playing the denomination you want! For the slots you have to pre load your members card with cash…everything is electronic and VERY legit! I only played the Black Jack. There are a few differences from Ontario; there is no 7’s line to bet on…instead you bet 1$ on Ace’s(4 Aces, or suited Aces), dealer stays on hard 17 (face and 7) hits on soft (or visa versa). Fun game, play with the table, not for yourself, they will help you! There is also a roulette wheel (automated) and a craps table. Free drinks are available when the waiters come around…a tip does seem to help the frequency! Don’t forget to use your match play coupons given to you by the resort!

Special thanks AGAIN!!!!! To Roosje, Madeline, Hortense, Carolina, Luis, Renée, Baby Love and Tim all of whom continuously went over and above the call of duty to make our experience more pleasurable. Words cannot explain the kindness and connection felt from these people…to the management these people help make your resort a privilege to visit. We cannot wait to return!

Well I think that about covers it…if you have any questions by all means feel free to ask!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
34 Thank chillin_61

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,340)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Beeton, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

This was our second time and it was nice to see some of the great staff again, Rio the Oceana bartender, Iona the terrific grill cook, Margo And Renee at the pool bar. The new staff we met were very friendly and helpfull especially Luis the restaurant mgr. If you like seafood the new Oceanas seafood grill is terrific as well as all the food at the other restaurants. Our room overlooked the Oceanas grill and Bar as well as the beach. The room service was not as efficient as last year and neither was the beach equipment or boat staff but the hotel is in transition and we saw improvements in our short time there. Will I go back next year? Yes.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Marty K
toronto
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

This Hotel is still under Major renovations and should not be open yet!
There was constant banging hammering drilling all day in our building they were working on elevator By our room we saw a very large roach ,
There was a strong mold smell in our room there was water on the floor of our bathroom as well on other side of the wall in the hall room .While we were taking our shower; we were being showered by the water coming from the shower upstairs.
We had to fight off the Pigeons at each and every meal in the buffet area as well as on the patio in the common area , the pigeons would try to constantly steal your food of your table and even on your plate ;while you tried to eat your meal
The pigeons would constantly fly over our heads to the rafters above or vacant tables/chairs while they drop their poop on you, on your food, the tables, the chairs and the floor .
The staff tries to keep eating area clean but this is a losing battle as their is between 30 - 50 birds in the eating area at meal time!
These Pigeons carry 2 types of respiratory diseases which becomes airborne when you clean up these droppings so all in the area are being exposed to these diseases
The staff feed these birds in the morning by the beach in hopes that they will stay away !
Sand flies are in the sand were they seat your for that sea food dinner under the star ( sea food very bad fish was mushy ). The food in the buffet was repetitive for each and every meal there was mostly plain rice, rice with vegetables , beans /Legumes , chick peas pasta and more pasta bread ,greasy sliced meat some cheese variety there was no variety of fruit daily ,nor did they have fresh fruit juice if you wanted a salad there was only tomatoes lettuce and cucumber to make your salad with! Bring a saw for the meat which is usually over or under cooked very bad grade of meats being used!
Tried use jacuzzi to relax How is this possible with children always in the jacuzzi even when the sign clearly says adults only .Children tinkling #1 on ledge of jacuzzi which ran right into the jacuzzi ! Unlimited fun Where was that Run away keep going

Room Tip: no renovated rooms the beds are hard as a rock
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank purplerosewood
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

After having been to Breezes several times and dissapointed in the way the management was letting it get run down, it was a pleasure to see the ongoing improvements and a much improved customer service from Sunscape.
A well rounded resort with good food, beach and snorkeling.
Can't wait for the completion of the renovations and in implementation of the preffered club.

Room Tip: Loved bldg #7 witch had recently been remodeled. Nice and quiet. # 8 was still being remodeled.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank nick d
Grand Junction, CO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

We spent 5 nights at Sunscape Curacao, Dec. 12th-18th. We got a smokin good deal through CheapCaribbean.com. I find some of these reviews totally opposite of our experience. I am a well traveled individual, and do so with an open mind. I read many reviews before going and pretty much knew what to expect. I would think everyone should do that. I realize everywhere you go and everything you do is a new experience and pretty much relevant to what your expectations are. I think a lot of how you are treated depends on your attitude and how you treat others. Like other reviews have said, this is not the Mexican Riviera. That being said, I will start from the beginning and try and keep it as short and simple as possible.
The morning of departure started out bad, as our plane was grounded for 6 hours at our home airport due to mechanical issues and there was no way we could make our connections in Dallas and Miami. We chose to leave as soon as possible and spend the night in Miami instead of waiting to leave the next morning. I phoned the hotel and spoke with Vianna(?), not how you spell her name, to see if we could extend our stay one night since we would not be arriving for our first night. She did a bit of checking and we were told it would be no problem. No extra charge. No problem!!!
After clearing customs in Curacao we walked outside and found a gal holding up the Sunscape sign who directed us where to go and wait to catch the FREE shuttle to the hotel. We were given a bottle of cold water and had about a half hour wait. Dropped off a couple at the Marriott and off we were to our destination.
Our checkin went quickly and smoothly. No wait at all. Maybe we just arrived at a good time, as I did walk by the lobby a few other times and noticed it full of arrivals. (The resort was probably not even half full during our stay.) We then talked with Fatinka and Edwardo a few minutes and were taken directly to our room.
THE ROOM: I had requested an ocean view in the Pelican building on the top floor, and that is exactly what we were given. The room was small, but we don't spend much time in the room anyway. I do not think they had completed the remodel on it, but it was no too bad. The furniture was in need of replacement, but I think that was happening.The beds were clean and comfortable for us. Extra blankets are in the bottom dresser drawers, which we did not discover until the second night. I requested a mini fridge since there was not one in the room, and one arrived within the 1/2 hour. It did take 2 days before anything was put into it, which consisted of Diet coke, coke, sprite and orange juice. No alcohol but we would not have drank it anyway. Probably would have been given some if requested. A/C worked good and the room was quiet. The only complaints I do have is that some construction guy came into our room the next morning to work on it, not knowing we were there. It was a bit startling since he just walked in and we were still in bed. I never said anything to the front desk about it and maybe should have. Did not happen again. We had also requested a king bed and the room had 2 queens. We did not ask to move. Just went with it. No need to stress over the small stuff. After all, this is a vacation and I like to stay relaxed!!! One of the evenings there was a slight sewer smell in the room. Never did figure out what it was, but it was gone the next day. would have said something if it wasn't.
I mentioned it was our anniversary and when we returned to our room the 2nd night there was a bottle of Champaign and fresh fruit waiting for us. Nice touch.
I walked up the stairs in the Tower Building, just to check it out and to take a picture of the resort. The elevator was not working, in fact it was not even there, and there was a horrible sewer smell. Heard the rooms were very large, but I would rather have a smaller newer room.
THE GROUNDS: We found the resort itself exactly what we expected. We have been to several of the Secret resorts in Mexico and the Dominican and did not expect this resort to be of the same quality. When booking the agent told us even though this resort is now owned by AM Resorts, it is the bottom line of their resorts.
There was a lot of construction going on, but nothing that interfered with our fun and relaxation. Never started too early and was finished up before supper time. In fact, the Flamingo building was completely gutted so no one was hanging out in the awesome pool there, except us. It was warm and quiet and we were usually all alone. We would get a few drinks from the bar by the Pelican building and just hang out peacefully. Loved it.
The beach was beautiful and ocean water clean, calm and clear. There are rocks in some areas and a lot of soft sand in others. We wore water shoes so we did not have to worry about it and could just go where ever we wanted to. We never had a problem finding a lounger in the shade on the beach anytime we wanted one, day or night. I snorkeled one morning with the snorkels the hotel provides and the fish were amazing. Best if you go out by the rocks and on the other side.
A guard with a dog stayed by the wall that separated the resort ground and the neighboring public beach right next to the Flamingo building. Not sure if this is a permanent thing or just because of all the remodel equipment left out over night. I never saw anyone try and come in and steal anything, but who knows. At least it was with a dog and not a gun, like in the Dominican!!!
The main pool was always warm and not too crowded. It is in need of a bit of a remodel as the there was mold or black stuff on most of the tile on the underwater stools at the Manatee bar. That probably will be part of the total remodel. I was a bit disappointed with the service at the swim up bar. There was none unless no one was wanting drinks on the top side. Needs to be addressed. I hated having to get out of the water to get a drink when at the Manatee. The reason we were there was so we could get swim up drinks. Beautiful view of the ocean and ships from the main pool, though.The sunsets were amazing so be sure to catch at least one of those.
The Lobby received new furnishings while we were there and a new bar area was opening up shortly. Looked very nice.
Went into the Casino one evening but found it very confusing and are not big gamblers anyway. Go to Vegas a couple times a year, but this was different. Had to pay $2 for a bottle of water which I thought was strange since it was suppose to be all-inclusive.
THE FOOD: The food was alright. We never had a wait at any of the restaurants. My husband had the Snapper at the Oceana and said it probably was the best he has ever had. I enjoyed the Japanese. Showed up just as they were going to start a show and was seated immediately with the group. The Italian was probably me least favorite, but still enjoyed it. The Blue Fin was closed during our stay due to remodeling. I especially enjoyed the burgers, chicken, fries and everything at the grill by the Pelican building. Can't remember the name of it. I did not especially like the offerings at the World Cafe but the omelets in the morning were good. Would have enjoyed more fresh fruit. Drank the water and never did get sick!!!
Had a romantic dinner on the beach our last night and it was wonderful. The Lobster was incredible and the service even better.
THE SERVICE: I found this area to be exceptional. Everything I requested was granted. We became "friends" with Fatinka and Edwardo and just went to them every time we needed something. They were wonderful to say the least. Would have liked more service while on the beach, but maybe this is coming also. Everyone seemed real anxious to please. The lady cooking at the grill by the Pelican building is probably one of the hardest workers I have ever seen. Anything we asked for she made for us. One evening I wanted ice cream and the waitress around the pool went and got me some. Just ask nicely and you will receive. The area they did fall down a bit on was, as I mentioned earlier, the swim up Manatee Bar. No service in the water and at times the bar tenders above were pre occupied with partying with the guest. No, they did not make Mojitos, which have always been m fav. Guess they do not have any lime. I tried a new drink, Dark Sky, and loved it. Made with Blue Curacao Liqueur. It is now my go to drink here at home!! Oh, and we never had an issue with beach towels. Anytime we needed one they had plenty, so I am not sure where the reviews of no beach towels are coming from. We also never had a problem with locals hanging out at the resort. In fact, I am not aware of this ever happening. If it did, it was handled well so the paying guests did not even notice.
THE ENTERTAINMENT: We enjoyed the nightly shows. No, it wasn't Vegas quality, but we still found it very delightful. Beach night there were 3 guys with fire and the one night there were colorful dancers who got the audience involved with trying to learn the dances. Just some good clean fun.
ISLAnd FUN: We rented a car from Hertz, in the hotel lobby, and toured the island one day. It is a beautiful island with many incredible beaches and Landhuis's. Anyone wanting to see pictures, just contact me and I will send some. One word of caution, though. If going to Shete Boka, beware of the thieves waiting in the bushes to break into your car. We also walked to the Aquarium one afternoon. Short, easy walk. We walked late one afternoon a ways toward town and took many beautiful pictures. Especially of the boats at the beach next door. We also took the hotel shuttle into Willemstad one morning for 3 hours. It was delightful, 3 hours is plenty of time to walk around and see almost anything you would like to. Enjoyed the "oldest Synagogue in the Western Hemisphere," and floating market. Even got to be on the floating bridge when it opened. We found the island safe and the friendliest people we have ever encountered other than Shete Boka.
On the return trip to the airport, we had a very early flight. The hotel shuttle was prompt and we arrived i plenty of time to catch our flight home.

Room Tip: Quietest rooms are in the Pelican and Flamingo buildings. We stayed in room 7310 and had a good ocea...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
11 Thank swaylo
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

I visited Curacao for week with family. It was our first time there and we found the city very charming and different from most other cities we've visited on sun vacations. There was a free shuttle downtown from the hotel twice daily which was nice. I'm not a huge shopper but for anyone interested in jewellery or watches, you'll get a good deal for sure.

The hotel wasn't glamorous but we werent expecting that anyway. At first our room was in the Royal Tower but we found it hard to sleep the first night (Sunday) because of the parties going on at the neighbouring beach (Mambo Beach). Rooms in the royal tower are huge but outdated. We were then moved to another building (Heron i think?) which was really pretty. We noticed that things were being added to the rooms daily. They are clearly putting their best efforts forward to get the hotel ready asap.

I wouldn't really recommend this hotel for the 16-25 crowd, its mostly a family and couple-oriented resort and there aren't many activities during the day from what we saw. The beach is also very short which was probably the biggest disappointment for me. But Mambo Beach next door was pretty live..there are two or three bars there and good music on the weekends.

We were really impressed by all the a la cart restaurants. All of the staff at the bars and restaurants were incredibly sweet. Shout out to Tim the new bar manager!! Let's just say he makes some creative drinks on the spot and is fantastic at what he does ;) Entertainment staff was also a lot of fun even though they've been told to maintain a more chill environment now that the hotel is becoming a Sunscape.

Loveeeeddd the tropical fish that hang out in the shallow waters. They were so cute! Go to the Sunscape with an open mind and take in the sights and sounds this unique Island has to offer. Feel free to message me if you have any questions!

Room Tip: Royal Tower is noisy on weekends
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank Sally G
CurJB, General Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for choosing our resort Sunscape Curacao as your home for your vacation. Also please receive warm greetings from us all and we thank you for taking time to share you experience at our resort with others.

We are glad to read that you found the city very charming and different and that you recommend our future costumers to visit our island and resort.

Our resort has been going thru a renovation process and recently flagged as a Sunscape. The royal wing is still pending for renovation which will take place mid-April and to be finished July 2013. This will be done internally and being a high-rise tower it will not have any inconveniences for our guests. I will share the comments of the noise from the neighbors with the contractor to see what can be done for it not to disturb our guests in the future.

For the last weeks indeed we still receiving the last pieces of furniture for the 202 rooms and suites that received a full face-lift same as our restaurants and bars. I am happy to read that you were very impressed by all the a la carte restaurants and that the F&B staff was all incredibly sweet, the entertainment being also fun and Tim made those creative drinks. I will share your comments with all our staff in our next event. Regarding the entertainment we are still balancing the activities with the team and for sure in the near future our customers can enjoy a relaxing daytime activity program while have a more lively evening.

On behalf of the Sunscape Curacao staff, it was more than a pleasure to have served you and we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Sunsationally yours,
Jeanette M. Hooi-Bonet
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

My family and I stayed over Christmas. The resort itself was formerly Breezes and taken over by Sunscape. When we booked we heard only good things about this resort. However when we got there it was a different story. The resort was very unorganized and the staff was either very nice or horrible. Normally I bring tip money for the staff. This time I came home with a lot of tip money.

We had to change our room because the locks on the door was broken, the safe was broken and lights were missing... They shouldn't have even given anyone this room before it was fixed. Also there was garbage scattered on the ground by a garbage bin looking down from our room. Disgusting!

The next day at dinner..... There were no reservations...... Only one a la cart open.....they couldn't accommodate us because we were 9...... And in the end they ran out of food and no one ate after 3 hours. We just left along with many other patrons.

Daily activities were not so organized. Different start up times than the scheduled times posted. We have kids that like activities!

The beach had glass scattered in little shards along the whole area.

During the day we had a blast snorkelling and scuba diving. The scuba came free with the resort. The scuba staff was incredible. By far the best place I have ever gone for snorkelling. The bonus is that it is right on the resort. My son loved the rock climbing. The disco and games room was fun but all the arcade games were not working properly.

In the end after the second day we had dropped our expectations, tried to relax, met some good people and ended up having a good time.

The potential for this resort is enormous if they can get there act together.

• Stayed December 2012
5 Thank cyaps
Also consider these accommodations in or near Willemstad
Van der Valk Kontiki Beach Resort
Lions Dive & Beach Resort Curacao
Scuba Lodge & Suites
Scuba Lodge & Suites
#2 of 32 in Willemstad
Floris Suite Hotel - Spa & Beach Club
Renaissance Curacao Resort & Casino
Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao

Been to Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino? Share your experiences!