“Winter Holiday”

Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino
Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in Willemstad
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I visited Curacao for week with family. It was our first time there and we found the city very charming and different from most other cities we've visited on sun vacations. There was a free shuttle downtown from the hotel twice daily which was nice. I'm not a huge shopper but for anyone interested in jewellery or watches, you'll get a good deal for sure.

The hotel wasn't glamorous but we werent expecting that anyway. At first our room was in the Royal Tower but we found it hard to sleep the first night (Sunday) because of the parties going on at the neighbouring beach (Mambo Beach). Rooms in the royal tower are huge but outdated. We were then moved to another building (Heron i think?) which was really pretty. We noticed that things were being added to the rooms daily. They are clearly putting their best efforts forward to get the hotel ready asap.

I wouldn't really recommend this hotel for the 16-25 crowd, its mostly a family and couple-oriented resort and there aren't many activities during the day from what we saw. The beach is also very short which was probably the biggest disappointment for me. But Mambo Beach next door was pretty live..there are two or three bars there and good music on the weekends.

We were really impressed by all the a la cart restaurants. All of the staff at the bars and restaurants were incredibly sweet. Shout out to Tim the new bar manager!! Let's just say he makes some creative drinks on the spot and is fantastic at what he does ;) Entertainment staff was also a lot of fun even though they've been told to maintain a more chill environment now that the hotel is becoming a Sunscape.

Loveeeeddd the tropical fish that hang out in the shallow waters. They were so cute! Go to the Sunscape with an open mind and take in the sights and sounds this unique Island has to offer. Feel free to message me if you have any questions!

Room Tip: Royal Tower is noisy on weekends
7  Thank Sally G
CurJB, General Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2013

Dear Guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for choosing our resort Sunscape Curacao as your home for your vacation. Also please receive warm greetings from us all and we thank you for taking time to share you experience at our resort with others.

We are glad to read that you found the city very charming and different and that you recommend our future costumers to visit our island and resort.

Our resort has been going thru a renovation process and recently flagged as a Sunscape. The royal wing is still pending for renovation which will take place mid-April and to be finished July 2013. This will be done internally and being a high-rise tower it will not have any inconveniences for our guests. I will share the comments of the noise from the neighbors with the contractor to see what can be done for it not to disturb our guests in the future.

For the last weeks indeed we still receiving the last pieces of furniture for the 202 rooms and suites that received a full face-lift same as our restaurants and bars. I am happy to read that you were very impressed by all the a la carte restaurants and that the F&B staff was all incredibly sweet, the entertainment being also fun and Tim made those creative drinks. I will share your comments with all our staff in our next event. Regarding the entertainment we are still balancing the activities with the team and for sure in the near future our customers can enjoy a relaxing daytime activity program while have a more lively evening.

On behalf of the Sunscape Curacao staff, it was more than a pleasure to have served you and we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Jeanette M. Hooi-Bonet

Write a ReviewReviews (5,160)

Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

My family and I stayed over Christmas. The resort itself was formerly Breezes and taken over by Sunscape. When we booked we heard only good things about this resort. However when we got there it was a different story. The resort was very unorganized and the staff was either very nice or horrible. Normally I bring tip money for the staff. This time I came home with a lot of tip money.

We had to change our room because the locks on the door was broken, the safe was broken and lights were missing... They shouldn't have even given anyone this room before it was fixed. Also there was garbage scattered on the ground by a garbage bin looking down from our room. Disgusting!

The next day at dinner..... There were no reservations...... Only one a la cart open.....they couldn't accommodate us because we were 9...... And in the end they ran out of food and no one ate after 3 hours. We just left along with many other patrons.

Daily activities were not so organized. Different start up times than the scheduled times posted. We have kids that like activities!

The beach had glass scattered in little shards along the whole area.

During the day we had a blast snorkelling and scuba diving. The scuba came free with the resort. The scuba staff was incredible. By far the best place I have ever gone for snorkelling. The bonus is that it is right on the resort. My son loved the rock climbing. The disco and games room was fun but all the arcade games were not working properly.

In the end after the second day we had dropped our expectations, tried to relax, met some good people and ended up having a good time.

The potential for this resort is enormous if they can get there act together.

• Stayed: December 2012
5  Thank cyaps
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Our main goal for the choice of this hotel was for snorkeling and we were not disappointed. There is a man-made beach but it had sufficient sand and there was a man-made barrier reef about 75 yards off the beach that protected from the waves and did a great job of attracting fish. The snorkeling was so easy as we just walked right into the water and made the short swim to the reef. The reef runs most of the length of the property (about a quarter mile). The fish were plentiful and varied. We encountered schools every time we went. Even though the winds were brisk the visibility was very good. The water temperature was very comfortable. Our room was large and very comfortable on the fifth floor with a balcony and wonderful view of the Caribbean. The food was very good.The "World Cafe" is the main restaurant where breakfast is served and also lunch and dinner buffets. Each of the meals has a good buffet with lots of variety (catering to both American and Euro tastes). At breakfast you can get omelets to order and at lunch you can get pasta to order with tomato sauce, meat sauce, cheese sauce, and alfredo sauce. We also had dinner at Da Mario, an Italian restaurant with good food and at Himitsu, an Asian restaurant like Beni Hana's where the food is prepared with a flair right in front of you. I thought the food here was excellent but have had chefs with a little more flair. There was nightly entertainment but the only part we saw was music during dinner that was very good. We had lunch at the grill by the beach on one day (Bluewater Grill) which has burgers and chicken and fries for lunch. The food was fine but the service pretty slow. There was also a fish place called Oceana and a little cafe called Coco Cafe with pastries and coffee that we didn't use. There is also a shuttle that will take you into town for 3 hour shopping trip. We did that one afternoon and enjoyed it, especially the pontoon pedestrian bridge. There is also a casino at the resort but we didn't go in. We thought this was very good for the price which was pretty reasonable. We would recommend it highly but especially for half serious snorkelers. Divers may like it too as there is a dive boat that goes out twice a day. We also went on a short sail on a 15 foot catamaran that was very enjoyable. I noticed that there were numerous activities for children but I can't speak to the quality of them as it was just me and my wife. Overall, it was an excellent experience.

Room Tip: We think we got a free upgrade because we booked a garden view but ended up with a suite on the fift...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank gotcha1944
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Arrived on the 17th of December to Curacao from Trinidad. I am a travel buff and was leary at first after reading and comunicating with other travellers who had stayed here.
I understand that with changes in management, things can not be up to prior standards but I took a chance and stayed there anyways.
The hotel has a free shuttle to and from the airport. Great, no need to rent a car initially.
I did rent one though at the hotel through Hertz to get to my next destination- The Kura Lodge in Westpunt (another review).
Thoughts on the hotel are as follows:
Check in- slow but your on island time.
I was shown to my room by Juan (good guy from Haiti) who showed me how to operate the TV, Airco, etc.
I stayed in the Pelican wing. Third floor room 7309. All the rooms had just been recently remodeled.
The room was nice- a certain odor which was not paint eminated in the room. It was tolerable though and eventually I didn't even notice it.
After he left I went on the balcony and checked out the view. Below there was a bar that appeared to not only serve drinks but also food.
Went below to check it out.
The staff manning the bar and cooking the food were great. I went there every day to socialize with the staff. A small pool is nearby but it appeared that no one was using it. Some of the rooms in the Pelican wing had direct access to this pool. Sweet.
From there I went to check out the main pool and the restaurant.
The main pool is nice. I ended up spending my days by the main pool instead of the pool by my room.
Went to the World restaurant- the buffet.
The best meals throughout my stay there was breakfast. Eggs to order.
Lunch and dinner- blase and yet I understand. You have to appeal to everyones taste buds.
Met some fantastic people. Lot's of Dutchies and Canadians.
The staff, and I think this is so important are fantastic. They really went out of their way to ensure you are taken care of. Friendly, courteous, etc.
Would I stay there again? No. And it's not because of the hotel change or other oddities.
It's just that since travel is a passion I never go to the same place twice.
I would recommend the hotel though.
The price is reasonable and the staff is good.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in the newly remodelled areas of the hotel. The Pelican Wing had just been rennovated. I...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank FortWorthJeffie
CurJB, General Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

Dear Guest,

We are glad to read that you are recommending our resort. For the last months we have been going thru a renovation program and the team is working focused reach our goal which is to exceed our guest’s expectations and provide excellent service. True reviews like yours contributes to our success as the valuable feedback received help us to identify our strengths and shortcomings so we can take the necessary actions.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

We stayed in Curacao for 10 days, 9 nights. We have a timeshare which we exchanged to stay at the Royal Seaquarium resort. That stay was magical. We booked Sunscape for 3 nights at approx 420 USD/night since we wanted to stay longer on the island.

Hear our horror story.

1. Day 1 :
The room we had was supposedly a renovated room facing the beach. It was the most expensive and best room the hotel had. But..
1. We enter the room and the lights in the bathroom and entry don't work.
2. We find cockroaches and lizards in the bathroom.
3. The resort has been under renovation for a few years and the grill on the beach is an eyesore ( right in front of our room), it is quardened off with yellow tape.
4. I had to call the service guys twice to fix the lights but they don't check the bedside lights and we find that too does not work !!
5. The entertainment was poor and immature with a bunch of college/school kids doing a dance routine.
6. They are out of beach towels.
7. The restuarants are poor. Thankfully we got in early into the asian restaurant, people waited for 2 hrs. The service was okay, the lady was almost treating us like school kids.
9. The end of the day we go to complain at the front office. The front office is arrogant, clueless and treats us badly. We ask for a different room and they say that the only room available is a garden facing cheaper room ( but we paid approx 420/ night and these rooms were half the price). She( Joanne) is arguing with me, the front office does not get it. People spend precious hard earned money and vacation time and when they find roaches and lizards in the room, they are upset. The maintenance manager shows us a room in the non-renovated building, it was a suite but that place looked like a pyscho ward !!. The corridor seemed straight out of a horror movie. So we decide to stay in the infested room for the night with the promise that we get a different beachfront room with no lizards or roaches next day.

Day 2 :

1. The new room is on the second floor facing the beach. I did not find roaches there but..
2. The TV remote does not work.
3. There are no blankets in the room and the AC and fan only work on high. So it was chilly in the room.
4. We call the front desk and wait for blankets at 11:30 PM at night for 40 mins and they don't show up.
5. So I walk down to the front desk and ask for blankets. I am told very rudely that If I am unhappy I should leave !!! And that the blankets will be delivered. No Apology No Remorse Nothing. The front office manage ( Jarlena) calls the security on me since I stood there complaining for 20 mins as to how unhappy we were after paying over 420 $$ a night.

Day 3 :
1. We checkout, complain to the training.HR manager. Apparently she was going to train the front office staff, fire the security guy, fix the hotel and refund our 1 night stay that we did not stay for. I am yet to see that money.

2. We go to Mariott and try to forget the horror story !!! Mariott saved our last day of the vacation !!

Bar and the All inclusive :

1. This all inclusive is a sham. Don't fall for it. The cocktails are poor and served in those plastic containers and it feels cheap. No umbrella drinks, no mojitos..
2. Food is okay at best. Good breakfast but not so good everything else.
3. This place is full of locals since they make money on day and night passes. What is does is crowd up the place with the staff focussing on the locals
Pro :
1.We checked in early, they did find a room for us early (3 hrs early), So they did accomodate it.
2. Good beach, you can swim, canoe, boat ride all within the beach that is may be 50 meters by 50 meters.

Room Tip: If you want a luxury vacation, go to Mariott/Royal Seaquarium Resort or others. Bad Front office sta...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank ivirs

Dear Guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for chosen our resort Sunscape Curacao for your last three days of your vacation in Curacao. Please accept our sincere apologies for the experience you have had as this is not our standards.

After reading your review I could identify the case as I was informed by our Standards & HR Director of the incident the same day you spoke with her while checking out. We have called both the Night manager and the security company in as we do not take these lightly.

I checked on the lighting in the building and I was informed that the breaker might have felt down when the all the furniture and lamps were put in place but was not identified on time. Regarding the lizard and cockroaches, please note that being on a tropical island this might happen even though we do our utmost to conduct deep inspection and have our pest control company fumigate the surroundings on frequent basis to avoid these unpleasant surprises.

As per our new standards the blankets are to be placed in the drawer of the desk and we apologies if your room was missing this.

Since we reopened the new food outlets we have receive very positive feedback but indeed we are in constant training to achieve the new standards. I shared your feedback with the kitchen staff so that they can work on keeping the quality consistent for all our guests.

Dear guest, please be assured that we do appreciate your valuable feedback. For the past months our resort indeed have been going thru a renovation program while the team has been working focused to reach the new company standards and reach our goal which is to provide excellent service to our guests and exceed their expectations.

Being a service oriented company, with goals of providing each and every guest with an excellent service; the case has already been addressed by the management and as a gesture of goodwill a refund was applied on the unused portion of your stay.

Again, we apologize for not being able to meet your expectations, know it was never our intention to disappoint you in any ways. We hope to be able to restore your trust in the Sunscape brand and that we will have the pleasure to serve again in the near future.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

Last years Breezers is now under new management and cakes Sunscape. Rooms are being refurbished (we stayed in not yet refurbished Royal a tower rooms, which we like as they are suite- size as opposed to the std rooms in the other buildings).
New and/or improved:
Entertainment at night is of good quality, nice variety and the staff are great (MC Stephanie does an 'excellente' job)
Kids club movie night is a good initiative giving parents opportunity to have a nice diner without the kids
Cinema at the beach is fun, family type movies, we loved the popcorn
Food is still local cuisine at world cafe (good quality) Japanese style restaurant is nice. Fish restaurant on th beach used a lot of garlic so any other taste if there was masked. Grill restaurant is ok.
Water sports are well organised
New coffee corner with pastries
Staff are great, really service with a BIG smile!
To be improved:
Not sufficient beach towels
Bar area not clean, smells like stale beer
Daily Sunscape program (flyer in room) should also be placed somewhere at pool deck/lobby/pool bar so as to advertise what's going on better.

This is a good 3 star hotel, perfect for a family beach vacation. There is 1 huge but... No Internet / wifi is really not 2013!! Why not create a hot spot at the coffee corner?!

Room Tip: Royal tower has suite size rooms, but not refurbished (yet)
4  Thank Curazon

Dear Guest,

We are glad to read that you are recommending our resort as a great family resort to our future costumers. For the past months our resort indeed have been going thru a renovation program while the team has been working focused to reach the new company standards and reach our goal which is to provide excellent service to our guests, exceed their expectations and be rated a 4 star resort which is what a Sunscape is to be rated for.

We are still adding more services and it is a pleasure to share that soon we will also be able to offer internet in all our guests’ rooms. Furthermore at the Coco Cafe and lobby we will ensure that our hotspot Wi-Fi is working properly and with better reception to meet our guests needs.

It is indeed very unfortunate that our container with the new towels as per our new brand has not arrived as yet reason for the scarcity. But we are doing the necessary follow ups to have this in very soon.

Regarding the bar, while the bar is scheduled for an upgrade in the Spring I have asked the stewarding company to put extra attention in this area.

The Entertainment team will place additional copies of the newsletter Sundial at the towel kiosk while the new Entertainment bulletin board is being finalized.

Dear guest, we once more thank you for this valuable review as true reviews like yours contributes to our success taking into the detailed feedback received. It helps us to identify our strengths and shortcomings so we can take the necessary actions.

On behalf of the Sunscape Curacao staff, it was more than a pleasure to have served you and we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future to your home away from home.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

We stayed at Sunscape from Dec 16 to 23, 2012 and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. I agree with everything that lokanski said in her review - we must have been following each other around! Once the renovations are finished, I think this resort will deserve a 5 star rating. Right now, given the price, it's a fantastic deal for families. The staff at any resort makes the difference between a good time and a great time. Sunscape staff deserve a lot of credit in this department. Very friendly and always willing to go the extra distance to make your stay special. We particularly appreciated the efforts of Luis, one of the restaurant managers, who was always checking with us to see that we were having a good time. Sherman puts on a great show in the Japanese Resto and I found the beef tenderloin in the Italian resto to be some of the best that I have ever had.

I can't say enough good things about the Insulinde cruise - by far the best deal for a day trip in the Carribean and I have been on a few!

Bottom line - go to Seascape before it gets too popular - you will have a good time!

By the way, if any of my travelling compaanions know where I left my prescription sunglasses in a black soft shell case - please let me know - Ouch!

Room Tip: Pelican 3rd floor rooms are renovated with good views.
7  Thank kashabowie613

Dear Guest,

We are glad to read that our staff made a difference and I will personally pass on your feedback to all in our next employee’s event and we will highlight both Luis and Sherman.

For the last months we indeed have been going thru a renovation program and the team is working focused to reach our goal which is to exceed our guest’s expectations and provide excellent service. True reviews like yours contributes to our success as the valuable feedback received help us to identify our strengths and shortcomings so we can take the necessary actions.

info.sucur@sunscaperesorts.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near Willemstad
Lions Dive & Beach Resort Curacao
Papagayo Beach Resort
#9 of 32 in Willemstad
Renaissance Curacao Resort & Casino
Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao

Been to Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino? Share your experiences!