“A little disappointed”

Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in Willemstad
Toronto, Canada
“A little disappointed”
Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

My family and I stayed over Christmas. The resort itself was formerly Breezes and taken over by Sunscape. When we booked we heard only good things about this resort. However when we got there it was a different story. The resort was very unorganized and the staff was either very nice or horrible. Normally I bring tip money for the staff. This time I came home with a lot of tip money.

We had to change our room because the locks on the door was broken, the safe was broken and lights were missing... They shouldn't have even given anyone this room before it was fixed. Also there was garbage scattered on the ground by a garbage bin looking down from our room. Disgusting!

The next day at dinner..... There were no reservations...... Only one a la cart open.....they couldn't accommodate us because we were 9...... And in the end they ran out of food and no one ate after 3 hours. We just left along with many other patrons.

Daily activities were not so organized. Different start up times than the scheduled times posted. We have kids that like activities!

The beach had glass scattered in little shards along the whole area.

During the day we had a blast snorkelling and scuba diving. The scuba came free with the resort. The scuba staff was incredible. By far the best place I have ever gone for snorkelling. The bonus is that it is right on the resort. My son loved the rock climbing. The disco and games room was fun but all the arcade games were not working properly.

In the end after the second day we had dropped our expectations, tried to relax, met some good people and ended up having a good time.

The potential for this resort is enormous if they can get there act together.

• Stayed December 2012
5 Thank cyaps

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,410)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Anderson, Indiana
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Our main goal for the choice of this hotel was for snorkeling and we were not disappointed. There is a man-made beach but it had sufficient sand and there was a man-made barrier reef about 75 yards off the beach that protected from the waves and did a great job of attracting fish. The snorkeling was so easy as we just walked right into the water and made the short swim to the reef. The reef runs most of the length of the property (about a quarter mile). The fish were plentiful and varied. We encountered schools every time we went. Even though the winds were brisk the visibility was very good. The water temperature was very comfortable. Our room was large and very comfortable on the fifth floor with a balcony and wonderful view of the Caribbean. The food was very good.The "World Cafe" is the main restaurant where breakfast is served and also lunch and dinner buffets. Each of the meals has a good buffet with lots of variety (catering to both American and Euro tastes). At breakfast you can get omelets to order and at lunch you can get pasta to order with tomato sauce, meat sauce, cheese sauce, and alfredo sauce. We also had dinner at Da Mario, an Italian restaurant with good food and at Himitsu, an Asian restaurant like Beni Hana's where the food is prepared with a flair right in front of you. I thought the food here was excellent but have had chefs with a little more flair. There was nightly entertainment but the only part we saw was music during dinner that was very good. We had lunch at the grill by the beach on one day (Bluewater Grill) which has burgers and chicken and fries for lunch. The food was fine but the service pretty slow. There was also a fish place called Oceana and a little cafe called Coco Cafe with pastries and coffee that we didn't use. There is also a shuttle that will take you into town for 3 hour shopping trip. We did that one afternoon and enjoyed it, especially the pontoon pedestrian bridge. There is also a casino at the resort but we didn't go in. We thought this was very good for the price which was pretty reasonable. We would recommend it highly but especially for half serious snorkelers. Divers may like it too as there is a dive boat that goes out twice a day. We also went on a short sail on a 15 foot catamaran that was very enjoyable. I noticed that there were numerous activities for children but I can't speak to the quality of them as it was just me and my wife. Overall, it was an excellent experience.

Room Tip: We think we got a free upgrade because we booked a garden view but ended up with a suite on the fift...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank gotcha1944
fort worth
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Arrived on the 17th of December to Curacao from Trinidad. I am a travel buff and was leary at first after reading and comunicating with other travellers who had stayed here.
I understand that with changes in management, things can not be up to prior standards but I took a chance and stayed there anyways.
The hotel has a free shuttle to and from the airport. Great, no need to rent a car initially.
I did rent one though at the hotel through Hertz to get to my next destination- The Kura Lodge in Westpunt (another review).
Thoughts on the hotel are as follows:
Check in- slow but your on island time.
I was shown to my room by Juan (good guy from Haiti) who showed me how to operate the TV, Airco, etc.
I stayed in the Pelican wing. Third floor room 7309. All the rooms had just been recently remodeled.
The room was nice- a certain odor which was not paint eminated in the room. It was tolerable though and eventually I didn't even notice it.
After he left I went on the balcony and checked out the view. Below there was a bar that appeared to not only serve drinks but also food.
Went below to check it out.
The staff manning the bar and cooking the food were great. I went there every day to socialize with the staff. A small pool is nearby but it appeared that no one was using it. Some of the rooms in the Pelican wing had direct access to this pool. Sweet.
From there I went to check out the main pool and the restaurant.
The main pool is nice. I ended up spending my days by the main pool instead of the pool by my room.
Went to the World restaurant- the buffet.
The best meals throughout my stay there was breakfast. Eggs to order.
Lunch and dinner- blase and yet I understand. You have to appeal to everyones taste buds.
Met some fantastic people. Lot's of Dutchies and Canadians.
The staff, and I think this is so important are fantastic. They really went out of their way to ensure you are taken care of. Friendly, courteous, etc.
Would I stay there again? No. And it's not because of the hotel change or other oddities.
It's just that since travel is a passion I never go to the same place twice.
I would recommend the hotel though.
The price is reasonable and the staff is good.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in the newly remodelled areas of the hotel. The Pelican Wing had just been rennovated. I...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
6 Thank FortWorthJeffie
CurJB, General Manager at Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for choosing our resort Sunscape Curacao as your home for your vacation. Also please receive warm greetings from us all and we thank you for taking time to share you experience at our resort with others.

We are glad to read that you are recommending our resort. For the last months we have been going thru a renovation program and the team is working focused reach our goal which is to exceed our guest’s expectations and provide excellent service. True reviews like yours contributes to our success as the valuable feedback received help us to identify our strengths and shortcomings so we can take the necessary actions.

On behalf of the Sunscape Curacao staff, it was more than a pleasure to have served you and we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Chicago
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We stayed in Curacao for 10 days, 9 nights. We have a timeshare which we exchanged to stay at the Royal Seaquarium resort. That stay was magical. We booked Sunscape for 3 nights at approx 420 USD/night since we wanted to stay longer on the island.

Hear our horror story.

1. Day 1 :
The room we had was supposedly a renovated room facing the beach. It was the most expensive and best room the hotel had. But..
1. We enter the room and the lights in the bathroom and entry don't work.
2. We find cockroaches and lizards in the bathroom.
3. The resort has been under renovation for a few years and the grill on the beach is an eyesore ( right in front of our room), it is quardened off with yellow tape.
4. I had to call the service guys twice to fix the lights but they don't check the bedside lights and we find that too does not work !!
5. The entertainment was poor and immature with a bunch of college/school kids doing a dance routine.
6. They are out of beach towels.
7. The restuarants are poor. Thankfully we got in early into the asian restaurant, people waited for 2 hrs. The service was okay, the lady was almost treating us like school kids.
9. The end of the day we go to complain at the front office. The front office is arrogant, clueless and treats us badly. We ask for a different room and they say that the only room available is a garden facing cheaper room ( but we paid approx 420/ night and these rooms were half the price). She( Joanne) is arguing with me, the front office does not get it. People spend precious hard earned money and vacation time and when they find roaches and lizards in the room, they are upset. The maintenance manager shows us a room in the non-renovated building, it was a suite but that place looked like a pyscho ward !!. The corridor seemed straight out of a horror movie. So we decide to stay in the infested room for the night with the promise that we get a different beachfront room with no lizards or roaches next day.

Day 2 :

1. The new room is on the second floor facing the beach. I did not find roaches there but..
2. The TV remote does not work.
3. There are no blankets in the room and the AC and fan only work on high. So it was chilly in the room.
4. We call the front desk and wait for blankets at 11:30 PM at night for 40 mins and they don't show up.
5. So I walk down to the front desk and ask for blankets. I am told very rudely that If I am unhappy I should leave !!! And that the blankets will be delivered. No Apology No Remorse Nothing. The front office manage ( Jarlena) calls the security on me since I stood there complaining for 20 mins as to how unhappy we were after paying over 420 $$ a night.

Day 3 :
1. We checkout, complain to the training.HR manager. Apparently she was going to train the front office staff, fire the security guy, fix the hotel and refund our 1 night stay that we did not stay for. I am yet to see that money.

2. We go to Mariott and try to forget the horror story !!! Mariott saved our last day of the vacation !!

Bar and the All inclusive :

1. This all inclusive is a sham. Don't fall for it. The cocktails are poor and served in those plastic containers and it feels cheap. No umbrella drinks, no mojitos..
2. Food is okay at best. Good breakfast but not so good everything else.
3. This place is full of locals since they make money on day and night passes. What is does is crowd up the place with the staff focussing on the locals
Pro :
1.We checked in early, they did find a room for us early (3 hrs early), So they did accomodate it.
2. Good beach, you can swim, canoe, boat ride all within the beach that is may be 50 meters by 50 meters.

Room Tip: If you want a luxury vacation, go to Mariott/Royal Seaquarium Resort or others. Bad Front office sta...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank ivirs
Dear Guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for chosen our resort Sunscape Curacao for your last three days of your vacation in Curacao. Please accept our sincere apologies for the experience you have had as this is not our standards.

After reading your review I could identify the case as I was informed by our Standards & HR Director of the incident the same day you spoke with her while checking out. We have called both the Night manager and the security company in as we do not take these lightly.

I checked on the lighting in the building and I was informed that the breaker might have felt down when the all the furniture and lamps were put in place but was not identified on time. Regarding the lizard and cockroaches, please note that being on a tropical island this might happen even though we do our utmost to conduct deep inspection and have our pest control company fumigate the surroundings on frequent basis to avoid these unpleasant surprises.

As per our new standards the blankets are to be placed in the drawer of the desk and we apologies if your room was missing this.

Since we reopened the new food outlets we have receive very positive feedback but indeed we are in constant training to achieve the new standards. I shared your feedback with the kitchen staff so that they can work on keeping the quality consistent for all our guests.

Dear guest, please be assured that we do appreciate your valuable feedback. For the past months our resort indeed have been going thru a renovation program while the team has been working focused to reach the new company standards and reach our goal which is to provide excellent service to our guests and exceed their expectations.

Being a service oriented company, with goals of providing each and every guest with an excellent service; the case has already been addressed by the management and as a gesture of goodwill a refund was applied on the unused portion of your stay.

Again, we apologize for not being able to meet your expectations, know it was never our intention to disappoint you in any ways. We hope to be able to restore your trust in the Sunscape brand and that we will have the pleasure to serve again in the near future.

Singapore
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Last years Breezers is now under new management and cakes Sunscape. Rooms are being refurbished (we stayed in not yet refurbished Royal a tower rooms, which we like as they are suite- size as opposed to the std rooms in the other buildings).
New and/or improved:
Entertainment at night is of good quality, nice variety and the staff are great (MC Stephanie does an 'excellente' job)
Kids club movie night is a good initiative giving parents opportunity to have a nice diner without the kids
Cinema at the beach is fun, family type movies, we loved the popcorn
Food is still local cuisine at world cafe (good quality) Japanese style restaurant is nice. Fish restaurant on th beach used a lot of garlic so any other taste if there was masked. Grill restaurant is ok.
Water sports are well organised
New coffee corner with pastries
Staff are great, really service with a BIG smile!
To be improved:
Not sufficient beach towels
Bar area not clean, smells like stale beer
Daily Sunscape program (flyer in room) should also be placed somewhere at pool deck/lobby/pool bar so as to advertise what's going on better.

This is a good 3 star hotel, perfect for a family beach vacation. There is 1 huge but... No Internet / wifi is really not 2013!! Why not create a hot spot at the coffee corner?!

Room Tip: Royal tower has suite size rooms, but not refurbished (yet)
4 Thank Curazon
Dear Guest,

We are glad to read that you are recommending our resort as a great family resort to our future costumers. For the past months our resort indeed have been going thru a renovation program while the team has been working focused to reach the new company standards and reach our goal which is to provide excellent service to our guests, exceed their expectations and be rated a 4 star resort which is what a Sunscape is to be rated for.

We are still adding more services and it is a pleasure to share that soon we will also be able to offer internet in all our guests’ rooms. Furthermore at the Coco Cafe and lobby we will ensure that our hotspot Wi-Fi is working properly and with better reception to meet our guests needs.

It is indeed very unfortunate that our container with the new towels as per our new brand has not arrived as yet reason for the scarcity. But we are doing the necessary follow ups to have this in very soon.

Regarding the bar, while the bar is scheduled for an upgrade in the Spring I have asked the stewarding company to put extra attention in this area.

The Entertainment team will place additional copies of the newsletter Sundial at the towel kiosk while the new Entertainment bulletin board is being finalized.

Dear guest, we once more thank you for this valuable review as true reviews like yours contributes to our success taking into the detailed feedback received. It helps us to identify our strengths and shortcomings so we can take the necessary actions.

On behalf of the Sunscape Curacao staff, it was more than a pleasure to have served you and we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future to your home away from home.

Ottawa
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We stayed at Sunscape from Dec 16 to 23, 2012 and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. I agree with everything that lokanski said in her review - we must have been following each other around! Once the renovations are finished, I think this resort will deserve a 5 star rating. Right now, given the price, it's a fantastic deal for families. The staff at any resort makes the difference between a good time and a great time. Sunscape staff deserve a lot of credit in this department. Very friendly and always willing to go the extra distance to make your stay special. We particularly appreciated the efforts of Luis, one of the restaurant managers, who was always checking with us to see that we were having a good time. Sherman puts on a great show in the Japanese Resto and I found the beef tenderloin in the Italian resto to be some of the best that I have ever had.

I can't say enough good things about the Insulinde cruise - by far the best deal for a day trip in the Carribean and I have been on a few!

Bottom line - go to Seascape before it gets too popular - you will have a good time!

By the way, if any of my travelling compaanions know where I left my prescription sunglasses in a black soft shell case - please let me know - Ouch!

Room Tip: Pelican 3rd floor rooms are renovated with good views.
7 Thank kashabowie613
Dear Guest,

We are glad to read that our staff made a difference and I will personally pass on your feedback to all in our next employee’s event and we will highlight both Luis and Sherman.

For the last months we indeed have been going thru a renovation program and the team is working focused to reach our goal which is to exceed our guest’s expectations and provide excellent service. True reviews like yours contributes to our success as the valuable feedback received help us to identify our strengths and shortcomings so we can take the necessary actions.

Barrie, Canada
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Just finished a fantastic week at Sunscape Curacao Resort, Spa & Casino the week of Dec. 16 - 23, 2012. Reserved via Sunquest with Westjet our transfers were well handled and the bus ride to the airport only 20 minutes with not too much waiting. The price for a hotel in transition was very reasonable. After reading all of the preceding reviews I can easily say that Sunscape is really bending over backwards to make your stay comfortable. Our room in the 7000 building was new, small and kept clean. Two other buildings are on the edge of being re-opened. The garden rooms were larger and central to the main pool with the bonus of sunset views.

I am a foodie and if you chose wisely you could eat very well with the local options in the World Cafe buffet. Oceana had great grouper and the romance of being near the sea. Da Mario Italian was a favourite with some of the group but too heavy for my taste. The Himitsu was a great success with Sherman entertaining us in Japanese Ginzu style resulting in fun nights out. The Coco Cafe keeps your zing going with cafe on order and snacks. The Oceanea had all day sandwiches grilling which are handy if you have done an outing. The Bluewater Grill is sea side and ready to open. Did I mention Conch soup one of the nights? Missed by most of the guests. Bars have a "fruitie" colourful drink of the day and anything you can request. All the bar staff were really accommodating to my odd tastes. The kids had fun ordering Miami Vice non-alcoholic sugar drinks.
Snorkeling in front of the hotel was some of the best we have ever had. With more than 25 varieties of fish inside the man-made rock barrier and even more on the outside. Inside is sheltered and ideal for first timers and families. Outside of the barrier was good for coral not overrun by tourists. Bring your own snorkelling equipment to ensure fit so you can go each day as often as you want. It is available but limited at the resort. The visibility was so clear the photos are stunning so invest in a good underwater camera to make this worthwhile. (I have the new Olympus Tough to 60 ft and used it all vacation). The on-site Ocean Encounters dive shop is run by experienced pros and worth using.

The island is not so large that you need to rent a car (our week was too short). A day trip using the local bus for $1.50 U.S. p.p. is easy and fun to Willemstad. This colourful capital is a World Unesco site with shops, artists, the famous swing bridge and interesting tours. A hot long walk or easy bus ride.

We had one rainy day which we took advantage of by walking to the nearby Curacao Sea Aquarium Park which we spent hours in. Dolphins, touch and feed the nurse sharks, touch and feed the stingrays, pick up three safe varieties of sea urchins, a sea lion show, underwater air/con glass bottom boat allowed us to spy on a Goliath Grouper and more. Both kids and adults had fun. An island treasure.

On Thursday (runs only Thurs. & Sun.) we had an afternoon outing on the "Insulinde". A steel tall ship built for cod fishing out of Belgium, now refurbished and leaving out of Punda which is the waterfront tourist area of Willemstad. Motoring past the resort, the first stop was at a sunken pilot ship in front of the defunct quarantine station. Fun snorkelling. The second stop was the Fuik Baii lagoon where they tied this huge sailing vessel to a tree so we could jump from the boat into the very salianated (salty) water. We all floated unaided like in the Black Sea. Then they put up the two front sails to take you back allowing brave souls to walk the bow tree. Has to be done. Again, a unique outing well worth it and good value for the family. Book at the resort.

Across the street is a new dune buggy outing which we would have done had we more time - our friends did it and they accessed to the bat cave, the ostrich farm and a waterfall.

Finally the nightlife had variety and as the week went on it got more lively. Fire-eaters, local dancers, talented local musicians. The nights were 28C and so humid we had to shower again before bed. What a problem to have! No sweaters required.

The gym is large enough, air conditioned and has a full compliment of equipment. This was important as there was no running beach. The spa is modern and massages excellent.

Take bug spray. Some people were getting biten (myself included) and others untouched around the cafe, Japanese restaurant and reception area. Below the knees some type of mosquito.

As time goes on this resort will only improve. The benefits and service outweighed any inconvenience that we may have had. I recommend this resort to families who need a week of R&R without the rahrah or loud sound levels of busier places. Plenty to do or not to do with great day trip options.

Room Tip: Check your room first to make sure you are happy prior to final check-in.
11 Thank Lokanski1
Dear Guest,

We are glad to read that you are recommending our resort to our future costumers. For the past months our resort indeed have been going thru a renovation program while the te4am has been working focused to reach the new company standards and reach our goal which is to provide excellent service to our guests and exceed their expectations.

True reviews like yours contributes to our success as the detailed feedback received is very valuable to us as it help us to identify our strengths and shortcomings so we can take the necessary actions.

info.sucur@sunscaperesorts.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Willemstad
Van der Valk Kontiki Beach Resort
Lions Dive & Beach Resort Curacao
Scuba Lodge & Suites
Scuba Lodge & Suites
#2 of 32 in Willemstad
Floris Suite Hotel - Spa & Beach Club
Renaissance Curacao Resort & Casino
Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao

Been to Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino? Share your experiences!