“absolutely beautiful with great service”

La Maya Beach Luxury Apartments
Ranked #5 of 45 Willemstad B&B and Inns
Brantford, Canada
“absolutely beautiful with great service”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

my wife and i stayed at la maya beach for 4 days, was a great experience... was a beautiful condo/apt with 2 bedrooms... enough for my wife and I and our 4 boys. we do suggest to order the grocery basket... which they did forget the beer, but marcel fixed that up very fast... marcel, you are awesome! the showers compared to other places we stayed were amazing, with great water pressure.
the view was amazing, especially at sun rise and sun set.
maid service was wonderful, and never bothered us at all!
if your wondering were to explore, ask marcel or ann marie, they will point you in the right direction! BUT RENT A CAR!
thank you marcel and ann marie, we wish you all the best and look forward to seeing you again

Room Tip: ocean view!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed with his family for one week at La Maya and with friends the second week. Anne Marie and Marcel could not have been more helpful with my in-laws who had a serious medical crisis happening back home. The apartment is super clean and has nearly everything you need including dishwasher, fridge, stove and laundry and the grounds are well cared for by Marcel and his crew. There is even housekeeping every day! If you are looking for ocean beach, you will have to go to a hotel near the centre of town which will be a lot more expensive or have a very commercial beach or you will have to go further up island to the more remote and tiny town of Westpunt. La Maya is on the Spanish Waters, which reminded me of the intercoastal in Florida. Lots of boats and beautiful houses. Just five minutes away (by car) is the funky Jan Thiel beach area with bars, restaurants and even an infinity pool. If you want a secluded more natural beach, you'll have to drive a quick 40 minutes out of the city and go to the beautiful Cas Abou or Porte Marie, which we would often pack a lunch and do. At each of these beaches you'll find a bar/restaurant, washrooms and scuba/snorkeling shops and no hotels or apts close by. We liked La Maya because it was close to a great number of restaurants and there was lots to do and it wasn't that far from Willemsted. La Maya is a great value and we would definitely go back. Many thanks to Anne Marie and Marcel for making our trip fantastic!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank globalbetty1
Lucerne, Switzerland
Reviewed February 15, 2013

We spent some days in Curaçao in a very nice house just some blocks from Maya Beach. Then we went to Aruba for some days and again back to Curaçao for one night before flying home. In our car we were 5 people, me, my husband, two of our kids and the daughter of friends, living in Curaçao. We came to the gate of Maya Beach. It was closed, but there was just a man coming out. No helle or something friendly from him. We asked where the reception is. ,Speak to me, I am the owner' he said. It sounded like 'how dare you coming here.' I said that we have a reservation. 'Check in is at 3', he said again very unfriendly. Again it sounded like ,go away and never come back'. I spent about 100 nights per year in hotels and never had such an unfriendly 'welcome'. I told him that we are aware that check in is later, but if we perhabs could leave the bags there. Every hotel I know over this service. 'You have a reservation for four, but you are five, he said again very unfriendly. I just wanted to explain him that the girl is not staying with us, but then I decided that I am not bringing this man my money. 'Ok, we are leaving' I said and went back to the car. My husband started to explain him again that the girl is not staying in his hotel, but I told him to stop, because it was obvious he didn't want us in his hotel.

This was a very good decision. We went to the Papagayo Beach Resort. The offered us a room, but also said that they have a hotel, with promotion, the new Papagayo Beach and Loung Resort, just half a minute away. There it was everything like it has to be. Friendly staff everywhere, we could leave the bags there, they gave us a bag with beach towels for their very nice beach club.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank xonthebeach
Enfield, Connecticut, United States
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I spent Christmas and New Years at La Maya Beach with my family..When we got there we were shocked to see the pictures were VERY misleading. Our apartment was about 10 feet from a construction site that blocked some of the view. The rest of the view is of the beautiful oil refineries. The resort has no beach, there is a man made strip of sand on the water but the water is kinda gross because it is a harbor and there is boat fuel in the water.
The supposedly "new" apartments had some problems as well. the toilet in my room broke twice and the toilets in two of our other apartments broke as well.. The light bulbs blew out in our bedroom , the mirror fell off the wall in my father's apartment and I stepped on glass after the maid came in to supposedly clean up. The washers either leaked and flooded the living room every time you used it or it didn't work at all. The kitchen sink fell out TWICE (see pic).
Finally the owners were rude. They clearly didn't like our family and were constantly telling us to quiet down when we weren't loud. We were having a family reunion so there was about 20 of us. My family rarely agrees on anything but we all agreed this place was awful and we would never go back

Room Tip: Choose another place to stay!!!!!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
13 Thank Avery E
Montréal
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We visited La Maya in January 2013 and are very happy with our choice. The apartment are great, very very clean and very well maintained. I have nothing to say about the apartment itself.

I feel that there is some points that need to be clarified regarding this place.

First point is that you NEED a car, if you think of going there without a car, forget it.

The beach that you see in the photo, is not a beach. 1 feet into the water there is no more sand. You cannot swim from that beach, it's good if you want to sit on the sand.

There is no service on site. If you need something you have to go to the market to get it (with your car). We wanted to replace our towel because we went to the beach 3 times with them and the guy in charge said... NO (a bit rude). They replace them every 3 days.

Last point, is that there is no soap provided with the place. When we arrive after a day of traveling, we wanted to take a shower... no soap. We use the little shampoo bottle provided. It's a bit odd, the guy was happy to tell us that he's giving us a bottle of wine but they don't give soap. I would rather have soap and no wine... but that's me.

It sounds like we were not happy about the place but overall we were very happy. I wanted to clarify some points.

Room Tip: Choose the pool side apartments
4 Thank Aproteau
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Stayed here with a group of friends for about 5 nights. This turned out to be the perfect place to stay. Absolutely no regrets! The apartment itself was very nice. The view, balcony and pool area made the place perfect for me. Very quiet and relaxing. I took advance of the pool and lounge chairs on a daily basis. It is a bit remote so you will need a car but frankly that is what made it so serene and quiet. AnnMarie, the caretaker, was so incredibly helpful. She really get above and beyond to be sure we were comfortable and at home.

Do not go to this place if you are looking for a crazy, party place. All of the tenants (some long-term) were very respectful of each other and kept the noise down. All in all, I would highly recommend and would definitely stay here again if I ever return to Curacao.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tracy B
Schoenenwerd, Switzerland
Reviewed January 27, 2013

My wife and I spent 2 1/2 fantastic weeks in La Maya Beach. It was 100% what we were looking for. Private environment, beautiful location, great view, excellent services, extremly careing hosts (Annemarie and Marcel), clean and modern apparments.
If you are looking for party-feeling or razzmatazz, this is definitfly the wrong place (this you find at Jan Thiel Baai, not far away), but if you are looking for relaxation, peacefulness and pure romance, this is the place to be. We have already booked again for next year !

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Willemstad
Van der Valk Kontiki Beach Resort
Baoase Luxury Resort
Baoase Luxury Resort
#1 of 32 in Willemstad
Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao

Been to La Maya Beach Luxury Apartments? Share your experiences!