“Attitude, mediocre food and slow service”

Pirate Bay Beach Bar and Restaurant
Ranked #64 of 307 Restaurants in Willemstad
Cuisines: Barbecue, Caribbean, International, Bar
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The friendliest and most tranquil place on Curaçao is at the picturesque Pirate Bay Beachclub and restaurant, where you will find all the right ingredients that an authentic Caribbean Beach Bar & Restaurant ought to have. With Spirited atmosphere, a sprinkle of salt and a healthy drizzle of YO HO HO, Pirate Bay is where people meet and friendly staff is serving up smiles with your ice cold drinks. Our tasty international and local dishes, served on the beach, with soft sand under your feet, while enjoying the beautiful sunset, are a definite must. Come enjoy our daily Happy hours from1 5pm-6pm and our Friday XL Happy hour from 5pm-7pm with swinging live music. And for the romantic spouses to-be, we offer a beautiful location for your unforgettable tropical wedding ceremony. We are open 7 days of the week from 9am till 11pm
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We walked over to this place from our hotel, the Hilton, since it looked fun and was on the beach. When we walked in, we were asked by the manger if we had a reservation. When we told him we did not, he actually made a face like "you loser!", made some comment that the Hilton should have called ahead for us, and we were then escorted to the absolutely worst table in the restaurant back by the bathrooms with no breeze. Mind you, this is just a beach bar - not some fancy restaurant and we were dressed nicely. It was after 8pm and it did not look all that busy. When I pointed out three empty tables further towards the water with better breezes, I was told, in a voice filled with attitude, that those tables were being held for those who made reservations. However, the entire time we were there, only one of those tables got sat! Further, the service was soooooo slow. I expect to be relaxed on vacation and I don't mind somewhat slow service, but this was ridiculous. It was so bad that we were even rolling eyes with the table next to us because they were experiencing the same thing. After waiting forever for a beer, he brings the wrong kind, then we were served food but not the silverware in order to eat it and it took at least 10 minutes to get someone attention (not surprising when you are hidden back there by the bathroom!) In the mean time the food is getting cold. I asked for water 3 times and never got it. We felt like we were being punished for not having that all important reservation!! On top of all this attitude, the food is just mediocre - my snapper was inedible and tasted old, although my husband said he liked his fish (can't remember what he had). No fresh vegetables, you get potatoes or french fries with everything. I guess you should not expect much when the place has the name "Pirate" in it.

1  Thank Janice15
Write a ReviewReviews (1,340)

Reviewed August 16, 2013

This restaurant is great because it has good food and service plus it's a reasonably nice beach. There are better spots on the island but I've always liked how this is small and enclosed so it just always felt good. The staff is friendly and always ready to bring a cold beer or a high calorie snack. Even if you try other beach restaurants, give this place a try as I think you will like it too.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

We went to this place several times. One night they had reggae music. If you want to eat dinner there you need to make reservation and you can eat on the beach. Your table will actually be on the sand. This is a fun place to go. They have good drinks and food.

1  Thank Pam J
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I was a little apprehensive about this place since I'd been to some beach-side restaurants in other locations that ended up being fairly dirty with pretty average food.

I found the food selection at Pirate Bay to be pretty good. Everyone at our table enjoyed their meal...prices seemed reasonable for the setting.
We were able to get a table right on the beach (made a 7p reservation earlier that afternoon) and that was really great. We were there during sunset, the temperature wasn't too hot, and the breeze wasn't too strong.

I liked it enough to return again, but just couldn't bring myself to do it instead of visiting other places on the island first!

To clarify a couple aspects of the Ratings part of this review:
- Service -- I would say it was between below-average and average. Our waiter seemed a bit curt and rude at times, as well as tardy. Toward the end he seemed to get more friendly so who knows what was going on.
- Value -- I thought the prices were reasonable. I couldn't decide between $$ and $$$.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

Went here for sunset and the views are amazing..we never ate dinner here but did enjoy the 2 for 1 happy hour from 6 till 7 which is right at sunset ..good drinks and good prices with amazing views