“Nice hotel in great location”
Review of Hotel Scharloo

Hotel Scharloo
Ranked #23 of 50 Willemstad B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 14, 2012

If you want to stay in the center of Willemstad, here's a very good option. The hotel is located just 2 minutes walking from the floating market but it's still in quiet area. The hotel has two buildings, the main building has also sitting room with TV and PC to be used by guests. I stayed in the other building and I liked it.
Punda bus station is within 5 minutes walking. Note that there are two type of busses. Konvois look more like busses and the time table provided are for them. But Konvois are run quite infrequently. Instead Bus (which is mini-van) are run more frequently but at least I didn't find any timetables for them. I noticed that the best way was to just go to the bus station and I never had to wait for more than 5 minutes for the right Bus. The Otrobunda bus station is not that far away either, maybe 10 minutes walking.
My room was spacious and clean (although a bit basic but this didn't bother me). There's safety box which is free of charge to use. The hotel serves breakfast but you have to order it a day before and it costs 12 USD per person. Alternatively you can go to some cafe to have your breakfast or prepare yourself something. There's supermarket in about 5 minutes walking (50-100m from bus station on the De Ruyterkade road). There's small fridge in the room which can be used for your own staff. Note that tap water is drinkable in Curacao.
I stayed in Willemstad over Easter and during the holidays the town is simply dead: there's hardly even one restaurant open and almost all tourist shops are closed too. In the normal week days it's easy to find nice terrace restaurants within 5-10 minutes walking.
There's fan and air-conditioning in the room. The fan was almost silent and helped to keep the room temperature adequate during the night time.
Customers can use washing machine and this helped me a lot because I didn't have to carry so many clothes with me. The laundry dries in less than an hour in outside laundry rack.
The wlan worked superbly in all areas of the hotel.
The only negative thing that I had was the party in the next-door Villa Maria. The party started at around 9pm and lasted till 4am. The hotel staff could have warn us about this and perhaps even make sure that we have earplugs. I wonder if anyone was able to sleep because the music was played extremely loud and it felt like the party was just outside my room.

Room Tip: if you have problems in stairs, please ask for lower level rooms. The stairs are steep and narrow.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank OtS34
HotelScharloo, General Manager at Hotel Scharloo, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2012

Thank you very much for your nice words. Too bad you didn't ask our nightguard for the earplugs during the party at Villa Maria . We have them for our guests. And you are so right ; normally we know when there is a party going on and we tell our guests, but this time we didn't know about it.
So very sorry for the inconvenience.

Reviewed February 27, 2012

Our room was always clean, comfortable, and had plenty of sunlight pouring in. The staff was always available, though sometimes you would have to search the grounds for them. The 'grounds' were always very clean and well kept. Very attractive to walk around on. There is a small, jacuzzi size pool, free parking, and free computer/wifi access. We never felt unsafe at the hotel. There were gates that locked, rooms that locked from the inside (with key) and visible security cameras. Yes, the hotel seems to be in a "sketchy" area. This is because you have to go down a funny little alley to get to the hotel. Then again, you have to realize that MOST of the island has "funny little alleys" as opposed to typical, wide open 'streets.' The location was great, a few minutes walk from 'town.' and the pontoon bridge; and a few minutes drive to the best beaches! My only suggestions to the hotel would be: 1) put an alarm clock in each room (or at least a regular clock!) 2) put at least a few paper napkins in the room for messes and spills 3) put a light blanket in each room for those of us who are always colder than their significant others hehe. I think these are fairly minor requests (especially from a fairly experienced, picky traveler). The only people who should *not* stay here are those who are not willing to be open minded about staying at a 'traditional' hotel right on a main road. And if that's you, well, you probably won't like Curacao very much, as there's not much that goes on on the main roads!

Room Tip: We had a 'suite' with kichenette (the fridge came in handy!) If I came again, I would ask f...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank misha11417
Reviewed January 22, 2012

after 2 weeks in Curacao, we stayed there for our last night as the other hotel was fully booked.
The hotel's location is in a so so area, looks a bit dodgy.
the first room which was given to us was not cleaned. But the nice staff gave us another room. The room was very spacious with high ceiling. However, it had no windwows. If I had stayed there longer, I def wanted to have a room with windows. The pool area was nice, tough not in the sun.
We slept well... until me and my bf got scared for our lives. There was a crazy local guy in the yard and shouting and it sounded like he was also firing guns. We were not sure if the hotel got robbed or not. Seriously, we thought that we will get killed. We tried not to make any noise and hide in the room. I have never ever been that scared in my life, there was no connection in my room otherwise I would have called the police.
After we checked out at 5am to catch the plane, the guy at the reception apologised and said oh sorry for the noise. I would have accepted something more. Also, security should have brought the guy away from the hotel straight away and not only after 30 minutes.
I am not picky and I have travelled the world, but that was just the worst experience ever.
So therefore I cannot give more than one star

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nice_swiss

I’m so sorry that you had this terrible and frightening experience . The security guard had to tell you more details about what has happened. We called the police for this man that was out of control, and while we were waiting he was really screaming and shouting.
Again My deepest apologize for this scary experience

Reviewed January 22, 2012

This hotel is adorable. It's clean, quiet, spacious, centrally located, and has a beautiful little courtyard. The staff is friendly and helpful. The building itself is an old historic mansion with tons of character and a lovely common area with a television and lending library. We were given a free upgrade to a deluxe room with a kitchenette, living area, and patio with chairs on the courtyard, which we loved. At only ~$85/night this hotel is one of the best deals I've ever found. Needless to say, I strongly recommend it to people interested in staying in a economical and character-filled alternative to sterile brand-name high-end (and high-priced) hotels.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the courtyard are very quiet. I imagine the others are too but I can't say for...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Julia S
Reviewed December 17, 2011

I stayed at Hotel Scharloo the last week of November. It is a wonderful place to stay -- the staff is super helpful. The rooms are spacious -- I was even given the Queen deluxe room at the same prize as the normal rooms ($80) -- a great value. Unfortunately, it rained both days I was there so I did miss the hot water in the shower as I came back drenched and shivering from the combination of rain and wind.
Beware there is no air-conditioning in the living area of your room. The bed had only two pillows -- I wish there had been more. I also wish there had been a thicker blanket since the air-conditioning in the bedroom definitely works. Small complaints compared to the great service, and location I received. I even enjoyed the little library finding a book by Jan Terlouw (a childhood favorite). The breakfast was on the expensive side for what you receive, but comparatively this seems to be a Curacao standard.
I also loved the building itself -- beautiful moldings around the windows, wooden shutters - it has so much character and is so much better than some one-size-fits-all hotel chain.
The hotel was ideally located -- you could easily walk across the bridge and find yourself in the hustle and bustle of Willemstad with plenty of other breakfast options.
Everon is excellent by the way -- he makes Hotel Scharloo as far as I'm concerned.
My only real concern was walking back to the hotel as I was by myself. At night the walk from the bridge to the hotel (which lasts no more than 3 minutes) can be a little freaky. :o)

All in all, I would definitely stay here again for it's convenience, value, excellent service, wonderful rooms, beds and staff.

2  Thank Sranansma
Reviewed December 10, 2011

Quaint and charming, this renovated hotel is tucked away by the waterfront on a backstreet, but is close to the bridge that links to the shopping area. Small parlor with TV, fridge, sink and hotplate. Our room faced a lovely courtyard with lounging pool...steep staircase to upstairs rooms. Staff (Nelson, Nora, Everon) were friendly and helpful with directions, calling taxi and anything else you needed. Their manager, Ine, was a doll and took great pride in the property, especially sharing its colorful history.

Room Tip: Steep stairs to upstairs rooms.
Reviewed November 22, 2011

- just a short walk from the center
- very friendly and helpful staff
- nice rooms