TripAdvisor
Willemstad
Post
Inbox
Search
All reviews dive shop breakfast basket infinity pool blue building bbq night dive staff dive sites within walking distance boutique hotel standard room dive trip small hotel ceiling fan welcome drink washing machine bedroom apartment the security guard
Selected filters
Reviewed October 5, 2018 via mobile

We stayed here for two weeks,24.9-6.10.2018.

Thanks to all of you at the reception/restaurant/diving team AND of course ghe housekeeping.Everyone of the team is brillant!

The breakfast is very good and the themes evebing with indonesian food or BBQ and other thinks are great.

The roomd are modetn and also good for handicaped persons.

We have been made a snorcheling trip with Scuba Diving Team.During this trip we saw beautiful beaches, clif jumper and swimming with turtles

It was been an amazing time to stay at the hotel.
Regards
Stefan/Duisburg/Germany

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Scubalodge, Public Relations Manager at Scuba Lodge & Ocean Suites, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2018

Hi Stefan and Conny,

Again, thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. It's very much appreciated!
It makes us happy to known that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you had a great time with our team.
It would be a pleasure to welcome the two of you back to Scuba Lodge sometime in the future.

Warm regards,

Team Scuba Lodge

Reviewed September 30, 2018 via mobile

We booked six nights at Scuba Lodge with four guided dive trips. I’m a full time Scuba instructor in Key Largo so I have high expectations. The Scuba Lodge Dive center met every one. The hotel was pretty good, but it’s not at the high end resort level yet.

We took a taxi from the airport, $40. Simple and easy as we didn’t rent a car at all. Check-in was great. They took a deposit for room charges, which is perfect for afternoons by the pool! Beach towels on request. The room is really nice. Ocean View, and the AC (only in the bedroom) was super cold. Perfect for cooling off and sleeping. The room had a full kitchen and fridge, stove and sink. Even had plates, glasses, silverware, and pots and pans. Go to the grocery store and never eat out. Everything is close since the hotel is small. We could walk to the store for rum, coke, and whatever else we needed.

The hotel got two negatives during our trip. Neither was terrible, and neither bothered us since we were on vacation and had no place to be. The first was the Waite staff did leave us hanging on for a minute or two a couple of times. No hurries, no worries, but it seems to be an issue in other reviews. If you’re on island time it won’t bother you. If you’re trying to be a high end resort, might wanna talk to the staff and clean it up a bit. The second negative was with Maintenance. Apparently our sink had issues before we checked in. We walked in to a man working on some plumbing, and our power in the living room and fridge turned off. Again, no problem for us. Poolside with a cocktail and he can work on the sink all day, it wasn’t gonna bother us. BUT, he left with a big mess of wet towels in the floor and never turned the power back on. I found the circuit breaker box and flipped it back on after our pool time. We used the abundance of towels they give you to take care of the wet floors. No harm no fowl for us. For someone else this could have been a life altering.

Let’s talk Dive Shop. Peter, Maatts, Remey, elite status Dive instructors. Customer service was top notch! Octopus, sea horse, turtles, easy entries, exciting dives, and one interesting goat cheese and avocado sandwich. I don’t need a guide, but Peter was worth it. He knows the island, the Dive sites, and goes above and beyond to make the trip exceed your expectations.

We will be back. We will stay at the Lodge. It is a great place, and so centrally located that it’s too easy to enjoy yourself. The whole effort in that area to revitalize itself means great restaurants and great fun. Thank you Scuba Lodge for a wonderful trip! See you soon.

1  Thank jffknapp
Scubalodge, Public Relations Manager at Scuba Lodge & Ocean Suites, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2018

Thanks so much for your detailed review ― we're sure it helps paint a clear picture for other guests considering staying at Scuba Lodge & Ocean Suites and all the wonderful things they can expect to experience with us!

It was our pleasure to host you and show you Curaçao's beautiful underwater world. We have shared your kind words with our Dive Instructors, especially Peter, Mats and Remy. When you love what you do for a living, it's easy to be attentive to lovely people, such as yourselves. We're very proud to know that Pieter went above and beyond to make your trip exceed your expectations. Especially since you're a full time scuba instructor yourself, your kind words mean a lot to us.

We also very much appreciate your feedback as this helps us to continually improve our services. We have forwarded your feedback to our restaurant manager and head of our maintenance team.

We look forward to seeing you both the next time you're in Curaçao!

Reviewed September 23, 2018 via mobile

Just returned from 10 nights in Curacao staying at Scuba Lodge.
We stayed in a standard room and it was adequate for our needs. Maid service was very good, room cleaned daily, nice clean fluffy towels every day.
Whatet the place down for us was the service received by the staff. We went for breakfast one morning as we were bring picked up at 9.30am for a trip. I'd say allowing an hour and a half for breakfast is more than enough time. Not here. We sat in the restaurant for some 15mins and was totally ignored, eventually I gave in and went to find my own menu, the waitresses were handing them out to selective guests. By the time we ordered we had to wait another 40mins for the food to arrive, to the point we nearly walked out.
Things improved on other visits and there are some really helpful friendly staff here. They're not all so downright rude.
2 other poor examples of customer service. We took our transfer itinery to reception to see if they'd had details of our pickup time, as that's what was stated would happen. We asked the lady on reception if she would call the transfer office to find out (this is a pretty normal request). She read through the paperwork for an age and then handed it back saying she wouldn't call them as it was not a local number. Even though it was. We called them ourselves.
On our final day I took the key to reception to check out. There was a guy in front of me trying to check in (unsuccessfully it seemed). He was told to stand to the side and wait, so I'm stood next to him dangling a key with 2 receptionists just staring at something on one screen and completely blanking me for several minutes until I just put the key on the counter and walked away. Nobody said a word. I've travelled all over the world and have never had this sort of treatment anywhere. Really not sure what the problem was, we came to the conclusion that the hotel favours its Dutch customers and as English guests we were not such a priority.
In summary, yes the people of curacao are friendly people, but this only seems to come a cross from the coloured people on the island. The white people really need to address their customer service skills, not just at this hotel but the whole island.

1  Thank Z5412SWjaned
Scubalodge, Manager at Scuba Lodge & Ocean Suites, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2018

Hi Jane,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us some feedback. It's great to read that you enjoyed your room and our fluffy towels. Our housekeeping team works hard to ensure that all of our rooms are clean throughout our guests stay, so I will be sure to pass along your positive feedback!

I am disappointed to read that our service wasn't up to the mark on this occasion. I can assure you this is not common, and thankfully the majority of our reviews reflect this. If you would read some of the reviews posted by our Dutch guests as well as our English speaking guests, you will find that our customer service is usually spot on.

I would like to emphasize that we do not favor or discriminate against any of our guests because of their nationality. I am sorry sorry if we made you feel 'not such a priority', as this is obviously not our intention. Our staff does their best to make everyone feel welcome but it seems that they have failed you. I apologize for this and please know that I will discuss this with our team.

I sincerely hope that you will give our island a second chance so that you will get the true Curaçao-experience next time!

Feel free to contact me directly at gea@scubalodge.com if you wish to discuss this further.

Warm regards,

Gea
Hotel Manager Scuba Lodge & Ocean Suites

Reviewed September 22, 2018 via mobile

We stayed at an ocean suite and the room(s) were great. Nice and clean. Very good service at the reception. However, the food at the restaurant (both breakfast and dinner) were of mediocre quality and the staff were not at all accomodating in regards to food allergies (they could not deviate from a meal in order to accomodate an allergy). Also, two days in a row I recieved completly raw pancakes for breakfast. The staff in the restaurant was not serviceminded at all and would for instance just place your meal at the table without saying a word or smiling. More often than not, the order were mistaken and waiting an hour for a ham and cheese sandwich was «normal». Overall the rooms are great but I would suggest having your meals somewhere else. The Island has plenty of great restaurants!

1  Thank millatrilla
Scubalodge, Public Relations Manager at Scuba Lodge & Ocean Suites, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2018

Hi Camilla,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We're happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. It's great to know that you were happy with your room and the service you received from our team at the front desk. We are very proud of our team and highly appreciate your recognition for their dedicated services.

We are disappointed that your expectations of our restaurant have not been fully met. When our guests have food allergies or special diets for health or religious reasons, it's something we aim to take very seriously. We have shared your feedback with our restaurant manager, so we can work on avoiding this in the future. Nevertheless we hope you come again soon!

Reviewed September 17, 2018

We were only able to stay for a day and a half but it honestly felt like a lot more because the place is so lovely and relaxing. Their pool overlooking the ocean is absolutely stunning and there's even a lounger in the shade if you want to take a snooze (of course I did:) I'd booked a two bedroom with an ocean view and it was amazing! Huge bedrooms with gigantic bathrooms (love the shower head), an enormous living room and kitchen with half bath downstairs, lots of US style electrical plugs and the greatest porch with ceiling fan I've been on in a long time. Just sat and watched the water with a book and never wanted to leave. I'd hoped to dive with the on site shop but had a knee problem and am planning to go back just to dive as the staff was very friendly and answered a lot of my questions. The front desk staff was wonderful and very responsive to some repairs that needed to be done. Didn't eat at the restaurant because my companion was not impressed with either the alcoholic drinks or the chiliness of the bar staff. Went to a fun restaurant a quick walk downtown and got so much food, we brought it back to heat up for brunch the next day. There was a nice beach a quick walk the other direction and they said a bus could have taken us to another. Curacao is on my list to go back and definitely stay and dive at the Scuba Lounge!!

Room tip: AC noise is unavoidable but pay the extra money to get a room with a porch - it's truly delightful.
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends

We loved reading your review and wanted to thank you for your kind words! It really makes our day when we receive reviews like yours.

We're so glad to know that you enjoyed (snoozing at) our infinity pool, the spacious 2-bedroom apartment that you stayed at, and our friendly and helpful staff at the front desk. We look forward to welcoming back to you tropical home-away-from-home very soon!

We hope your knee is feeling better now. We'd be more than happy to take you diving or snorkeling and show you some of Curaçao's beautiful underwater world during your next visit to the island. You're always welcome here at Scuba Lodge!