“Marvellous!”

Scuba Lodge & Suites
Ranked #2 of 32 Hotels in Willemstad
Reviewed February 20, 2014

During our stay at the Scuba Lodge we asked ourselves two questions? When we arrived: Why did we book another accommodation before? At the moment we left: Why can't we stay longer? So, in 4 words: This place is marvellous! After a warm welcome we felt immediately home. The lodge is beautifully located directly at the ocean front. The rooms are spacious and very well designed with a nice bathroom. But what makes this place really stunning is the staff. The entire team is amazingly friendly and they do everything to make your holiday to a real delight.

Every morning a different delicious breakfast is served in a nice basket at the beach terrace. But also for lunch, dinner or just for a sundowner this is a wonderful place to be.

The diving school which belongs to the lodge offers - besides the regular diving courses - spectacular guided dives as well. If you are a diver or would like to become one, don't miss it and just go for it!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Dimitris_16561

Reviewed February 13, 2014

Here the staff make the vacation! Their personal service, kind concern, and consistent friendliness is what sets the tone for a carefree vacation. From the morning cafe latte, to snack platters by the pool and finally dinner by the ocean made by an expert Dutch chef (working in a limited space)...ALL... your dining needs are met. We rented an apartment for a month with kitchen facilities, planning to make our own meals. When we stopped and compared the restaurant in the hotel was by far a better way to go and we abandoned our original plan. We spent the first week trying restaurants all around and found our own Scuba Lodge to be the most consistent in quality, service and with better pricing..making this home sweet home! The Housekeeping Staff made our stay in the two bedroom apartment feel like we were cared for by relatives..daily making sure everything we need was in order and the linen service and cleanliness standard was second to none....not to mention always greeted with a smile and a little conversation! The swimming pool looks small but because of how it is situated on the ocean and it's easy access to the rooms made it our focus. Never did we fight for a chair and often found ourselves alone to enjoy this gem with a view of ships entering the harbour and on the horizon. The hotel is walking distance from downtown, with security guards every 40 feet to make sure your home safe from 7 pm to 7 am...although Willemstad is not the place to go if you really want night life. Having said that there are restaurants all around for night dining. English is widely spoken in the hotel and in Willemstad in general. The staff were also generous with setting up diving, snorkeling, and taxis, along with generous advice about the Island. You really are in safe hands here but don't have to be a diver to enjoy this..there's really no pressure! We were always happy to see that high gloss white banquet table at the entrance ..a sign we were really welcome. Thank you to Bas, Tom, Yvette, Kelly, Mieke, Petra, Whilhelmina, Lizonne, Rimke, Jesus, Mereale, Samantha, Tommy, Ronald, Matteus, Corne, Anton, and all of the rest of the staff. We definitely would come back to this hotel.

Room Tip: We chose a balcony facing the street and it was fine for noise and not windy.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed January 28, 2014

A spectacular view of ocean, a place that feels like home. You don't need to be a diver to stay here but the dive shop is first class. If you want to experience the authentic Curacao experience, I invite you to try this unique and beautiful boutique hotel. It is perfectly situated, within walking distance to many restaurants, to live music, to the capital city. A place with people who genuinely make time to connect with you, where you feel like you have slipped into a warm and wonderful family. You won't want to leave. A fascinating group of guests - this is a place for travellers and we know who we are! As a solo traveller, it was one of the best two weeks I have ever spent. If you want to experience the authentic Curacao, this is the place for you.

Room Tip: If you are lucky, you will get Room 15. If you have more to spent, you will get a villa that is out...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Skyflier2222
Reviewed January 16, 2014

I used to live on the island of Curacao in the first half of 2012, took my Padi and my advanced diving with the instructors of Scuba Lodge and really enjoyed it! Beside the diving there was always a nice chat by the members of the staff, either behind the bar or in reception.
they had some nice BBQ's open to everybody, and it's a delight to sit there on the seaside, watching the waves roll in.
I stayed there a few nights just before going back to Holland and it was excellent, the room, the staff, the pool, the food and drinks, it was all good!
I am sure you'll have a great time here!
Saying all this wants to make me go back ;-)

Room Tip: a room on the seaside is the best obviously
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank harm040
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Other reviewers have shared their positive experiences, and I will not repeat the same; rather I will identify some things that made my visit so pleasant.
First, on arrival the young woman at the desk suggested that I set my suitcase down and sit for a few moments on the deck while she graciously provided me with a complimentary frozen drink. This is a nice way (no, the best way) to get the checkin essentials over with.
I am a solo female traveler and have become used to being the only person dining alone in a restaurant, but the staff knew my name and my food and drink preferences by the second day. Even the house cat joined me for breakfast one day, sleeping in the unoccupied chair opposite me.
The tip jar (actually, a converted dive tank) for bar, kitchen and wait staff is very convenient, as is the ability to charge food and drink to the room. I appreciated the laid back approach to signing the bar/restaurant bill, also. If you forget, just look under the rocks by the cash register on your next visit for the one with your name. I like to walk and was pleased to be given maps to locate cafes, shops and beach nearby. Others have described the "breakfast basket", and I will add my plaudits for these small plates and bowls of diverse, tasty breakfast items. My favorite was the croissant which longed to be paired with the small container of "chocolate paste" or Chocoladepasta. Memorable! I, also, like the fact that food is served continuously all day. A small glitch may occur from time to time, but the peaceful setting and helpful staff have me searching my calendar for dates to return to Scuba Lodge.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank nst2
Reviewed January 7, 2014

The lovely staff are able to let you feel as if you are family friends, and also give us guests space to read, drink and snooze in peace.
The hotel rooms are wonderful and comfy. The colourful painted antique house is a joy to behold. We were upstairs in the middle.
We two, grandparents now, relaxed into the lovely and also inviting spaces which included busy breakfast and meals areas, quiet poolside lounges, exciting waves over the parapet and tours for snorkel and scuba diving expeditions. A wonderful place to spend a Xmas away from our usual family get-togethers. Loved my time with Scuba Lodge. I am grateful for the good-natured and efficient young staff, a terrific combo. All senses happy. Thanks to all.

Room Tip: We were happy with our upstairs room.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank francesca082
Reviewed January 5, 2014

The Scuba lodge is a fantastic establishment! I stayed with my family in the 2 bedroom suite in the Green building which was decorated beautifully and spotless. MY only quarrel is I reserved an oceanview suite and we received the streetview. When I spoke with the front desk they said they had no record of me booking an oceanview despite it being in the title of my Expedia reservation. Besides that we didn't let it ruin our stay. The food and drinks, though a little pricier, were delicious. The location is superb, on a safe side street just 5 minutes from Willemstad, the floating bridge and the old / new and floating markets. The infinity pool is a nice spot to relax and take in the view. The staff were attentive and friendly, even being as kind as to surprise us with Christmas stockings on Xmas morning with chocolates and cookies. Highly recommend this place, you won't regret it.

Room Tip: Green building was awesome - didn't see any of the others.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family