“honeymoon heaven”

Ranked #1 of 32 Hotels in Willemstad
Stockholm
“honeymoon heaven”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2010

My husband and I just came back from our honeymoon where we stayed at Baoase for 10 nights (we also stayed 5 nights at Hyatt but I'll write a separate review on that).

We are so happy that we chose to stay at Baose for our honeymoon. One pleasant surprise was that our suite was upgraded to a 3 room villa which was of course added value and the villa is soo beautiful, especially the little pool deck where we spent many afternoons in the nice shade reading books and talking. The villa is top notch and includes pretty much everything you could ever want (except from maybe a ipod-dock but I hope they will put in that eventually). We have stayed at many five stars hotel but the room in this was by far the nicest.

One thing we really liked was the fact that it didn't feel like the hotel tried to "bleed you" out on money, for example they'll always bring fresh tap water with ice which in warm weather really saves you a lot (might seem a bit small thing to think about since the room costs a bit but we felt that the food, prices and all the little things that was included really gave us more value for the money! The hotel is very small and it was not that many children around when we were there, i do think that if there are a lot of children some of the magic tranquility that we had might be lost which is a risk i suppose at any hotels.

The service was sometimes, as others have pointed out, not "luxury professional" standard in the sense of the staff's experience. However, we never had to wait for long for anything and what the staff might lack in professional training they gained back in attitude. They always fixed everything for you with a smile and if the hotel didn't have what we ordered (for coctails etc) they would runt to the store to get it for you!, which sometimes lead to that you had to wait a bit but hey, its vacations who's in a hurry?To sum it us, the luxury at this hotel is more genuine than "formal" (you get to see the staffs own personalities and they're just not trained "puppys" which is refreshing :)).

The girl planning all the activities is amazing, she arranged a wonderful picknick for us which i could highly recommend. I could go on and on about the wonders of baose but i guess there's limited space for me to write to I'll finish of with some tips: 1) book a sunset picknick with couple massage 2) eat at fishalishous (great food) 3) don't miss the dolphin swim!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cweety

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Czech first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2010

My wife and I spent 5 days/nights at Baoase over July 4 weekend and were pleasantly suprised when we found out that we were upgraded to a 3 bedroom villa (private jacuzzi, outdoor terrace with dining area, full service kitchen, 2.5 bathrooms, shared infinity pool with other villas) from a suite due to construction. The resort is beautifully constructed with all the privacy and amenities one would expect for the price.

Although I would agree with many of the positives from previous reviews, I will highlight some negatives that we found during our stay. There is no parking if you rent a car and if you do, you would have to park outside on the street at your own risk. We rented a car to travel around the island on our last day from the Hertz location at the Breezes Resort a 5 minute drive away. They came to pick up and drop off. Since there is no complimentary shuttle service, it costs $35US each way to travel to/from the airport. If you arrange with the resort with their preferred car service it would cost $55US each way.

All the amenities within the villa are exquisite with a full service kitchen, two dining areas, second floor private outdoor shower/tub, etc. However there is no iPod docking station (which is a rarity in my opinion in this day and age), the enterainment system within the villa is hard to use with the wall controls in each room, and not all the lights were functional. Wireless internet is spotty and non-existent after 11pm as that is when the resort office closes. Not major items and I could live with these, but there was a glaring item related to the villa that stick out for me. Our private jacuzzi was located below the neighboring villa's 2nd floor private shower/tub. Whenever the neighboring guest took a bath and drained the tub, the water would overwhelm their drain and would drain down into our jacuzzi like a waterfall. Needless to say we did not use it. What was amusing was that when we were given a tour of the villa by the resort staff the first day, she explained that the murkiness of the jacuzzi water is due to the cleaning detergent being used and that the staff had not finished cleaning. Really??? Also the massage shower in the master bathroom did not work except the overhead rain shower head. That was rather disappointing.

As for the resort, the beach and lagoon is smaller than the pictures depict. However, since the resort is small, visitors will definitely feel very secluded and undisturbed. Kayaking and snorkeling gear are provided although you would have to swim out of the lagoon to see anything while snorkling. My other complaint is that the resort staff was very inexperienced. I would have to agree with the previous reviewer that they all seemed to be summer interns from Holland and although offer assistance in dining reservations or excursions, the results vary. Dining at the resort restaurant is similar. It typically takes 15 minutes before anyone greets you with the offer of drinks or menus. My wife and I spent two afternoons on the beach and neither time were we approached by the staff with the offer of water or drinks. Our theory is that a) the resort really wants to give its patrons complete privacy or b) since English is not their native language, they avoided conversation or service.

If you travel to Punda or Otrobanda from Baoase during the day, I would recommend taking the minibus which costs only $3 US for 2 people. It costs $15 by taxi to come back. There is also a supermarket within walking distance so that you can buy local groceries to make full use of the kitchen. Bring bugspray (both are provided at the resort within the villas as the mosquitos come out in force at nights) and be prepared to discover iguanas, lizards and hermit crabs roaming through the resort which we found to be pleasant discoveries. Overall, we would still rate our experience at Baoase as wonderful and wish we just had better service to match the accommodations and price.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2010

I stayed at Baoase for 3 nights last week and, even though we were kindly upgraded from a Suite into a 3 bed villa so could have been delighted, we still left feeling somewhat disappointed by the Baoase. The build quality throughout is excellent - dark woods, plenty of living space in the villas (kitchen, patio, lounging zone), although the bedrooms themselves are not spacious and lack hanging space. Very friendly and trying to be helpful staff - but the experience levels are very low and it feels as if you're being looked after by Dutch interns on a gap year, rather than staff well trained to provide the service that a hotel at this price level - around $500 a night - demands.

Each night it was good that the hotel tried to help plan your evening - but the estimates of distances to resturants varied widly from '200 yards up the road', to '15 minutes in a taxi' - for the SAME restaurant. And as taxis for dinner cost around $60 return, it helps to know when its therefore better to hire a car. When we did take taxis, 3-4 staff would ask us what time and where to, each then returning to us with something different that they had booked, or still asking if we were going out that evening! Helpful attitudes, but disorganised. There was no evident General Manager on duty, so we thought we'd picked a time when they were absent - only to discover him as we checked out - carrying our bags into the taxi!

Cocktails were spotty - seeing the staff poring over the evidently unfamiliar instruction list and taking 20 minutes to produce 2 drinks, which were average, just isn't good enough - they need properly trained bar staff who know their cosmo from their caipirinia.

Meals were also sporadic - scrambled eggs took half and horu at breakfast even though we were the only guests there. But were however very tasty. The lunch tuna baguette also took over half an hour, and was just that - a baguette, no side salad, no fries, no pzzazz... for $11 this was the cheapest option. A simple lunchtime pasta was around $30 I seem to remember. We're not money-obsessed, but the value equation just wasn't there for us.

Booking in had also been tricky - we were asked when we telephoned them directly to book, to send a fax with our interest on it.. A fax?? Then they called to obtain our balance in advance, but had no idea when we asked how much they wanted confirmation for.. and had actually forgotten who they were calling. An email asking them if Ipod docking stations were in the rooms was ignored, then finally confirmed when I chased - only to discover the docking station didn't exist. A hotel employee very kindly lent us his own one, which went above and beyond for me and was very good of him - but it reinforced the slightly slapdash, 'snorkelling gear may or may not be there' overall service levels.

The staff did make great efforts to try and respond to needs, e.g. a day's diving, a route for a day in the car exploring, but overall the impressions was still a little naive rather than slick. This is of course the Caribbean, but as a half Dutch person myself, I would have expected more of my usually organised countryfolk!

Baoase has only been open for 6 months - but this is long enough for them to have ironed out the opening issues. Cap Juluca in Anguilla far surpassed the Baoase in terms of the beach (much smaller than the photo suggests) and which is also far less good than the natural beaches all over the island as its been built on reclaimed land and the water is quite murky.

So - a well built place with well meaning staff, but overpriced for the level of sweet but inexperienced service provided.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
6 Thank ScottyHawkes
Raleigh NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2010

We stayed for 6 nights at Baoase and loved it! The resort is small but we didn't want a huge resort with kids running around. It is very tastefully decorated and the service was excellent! They brought ice water and snacks to you on the beach, served all meals in a timley fashion (someone said it took 1.5 hours - that NEVER happened to us while there). The meals were always delicious. The breakfast was a bit overpriced but that seems to happen a lot at higher quality resorts.

Our room was eclectic and romantic. They light incense in your room every night which was really nice. We've taken up the habit of doing that at home now.

The staff always gave good recommendations of places to eat. Be sure to go to Fishalicious! Close by and really good.

When leaving, one of the staff members actually called us as we were on the way to the airport (she called the taxi driver's cell) to wish us a safe trip. We've never had that happen before.

They all did a great job, the place was beautiful and we will return!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2010

My husband and I stayed in the two bedroom villa with private pool. Price was $675/night. Goal of vacation was a romantic, relaxing get-away. We have stayed in many similarly priced hotels around the world and this hotel just has not got it figured out.

Pros:
- Gorgeous villa. Couldn't have asked for more. Well stocked with everything you might need in terms of towels, dishes, candles, etc.
- Security guards were excellent and always very helpful with parking, watching over car, etc.
- Close proximity to other hotels, restaurants and town was really nice.

Cons:
- We spent two days just relaxing around the pool at our villa. Both days, we asked the cleaners if they wouldn't mind just leaving fresh towels and not bothering cleaning or making the beds (we could do that). Both days they spent several hours cleaning our villa while we were trying to relax. Was not very private or convenient for us.
- we frequently went for breakfast around 9:30-10am, well within their breakfast hours and they were often out of most things, such as orange juice, fresh fruit, etc. When we asked for it they were accomodating but it was never offered and we felt badly having to ask all the time. It also made the wait for breakfast much longer.
- The refrigerator in our villa broke on day 3 and was not repaired/replaced by the time we left on day 6.
- The hotel advertises that it provide snorkeling equipement, yet whenever we asked for some, they could never find any. For the price of the hotel, they really should have enough for all their guests. This is not a large hotel and was far from full when we were there.
- the beach on the property is quite small, though this is the same across the island it seems.
- There were many children at the resort when we were there. If you weren't in your own private villa in the back and had to share the pool with all of them, it might not be such a relaxing stay. We had no problems with this, as we just retreated to our villla if we wanted more quiet.

There are too many glitches with this property. It is overpriced for what it is.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank similan22
nc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2010

We have just returned from an amazing stay at Baoase and truly did not want to ever leave. Without rehashing all of the previous reviews, here is what I can add. We too were instantly greeted upon arrival (by name) and with a wonderful, cold welcome drink (which after traveling all day was heaven). Check-in was a breeze and we were off to relaxation within minutes.

Why go to Baoase? If you are looking for the active, loud and all-inclusive experience --please don't waste your time -- just stay down the beach at Breezes. Baoase is all about peace and luxury. Our beautifully appointed suite was on the second floor, surrounded by tropical trees with a sliver view of the sea. The balcony stretches across the front and there is a private jacuzzi in the corner. Most days, a pleasant trade wind makes spending time there the ultimate relaxation.

Baoase is a small resort and the staff far outweighs the guests by number. However, you will never feel annoyed. In fact, they will great you each day and only appear when you need them. Feel like a light, late breakfast or lunch salad without leaving your beach lounger? Done. Also, all of the reviews about the chef and his staff are 100% accurate. The food was excellent and dining by candlelight each night at the foot of the sea is an experience. The bar staff is also incredibly friendly and will accomodate just about any drink request you can come up with. My favorite part about dining at Baoase was never being rushed. We are so used to American dining where you many times do not get to enjoy the "full experience" because the wait staff is always there and quick with the bill to turn their table. I can understand some of the reviews that mentioned slow service, but just remember, you came to relax. They truly want you to enjoy your meal (however, I'm sure if you told them you were in a hurry it could be accomodated--everything else was for us).

During our stay, it was my husband's birthday. I asked the manager (who frankly by this time felt more like a friend) to arrange a special desert for him. She suggested a small, personalized cake and asked me what he liked. Later that evening a perfect birthday cake arrived right on time at our table. No hassle, no drama and a wonderful way to celebrate a special evening.

While at Baoase, I also took advantage of the seaside massage My 1 hr (plus) massage with a therapist (specially selected) was incredible. The cost was very reasonable for the location and attention. Also, to book it, I just stopped by the office desk and once confirmed, they came down to the beach to personally let me know. (wow)

Baoase has only been open for 6 months for guests. I too read all of the reviews before traveling to the resort and was honestly not sure what to expect. I can tell you that they have come a long way from some of the early reviews. Also, keep in mind that the staff is working with an international assortment of guests. Yes, at a five star resort a smooth guest experience (regardless of culture) is expected. They are perfecting this with each day and we could not have been more pleased with the staff or the service received. We left Baoase knowing many of them by name and truly enjoying our daily interactions.

Come to Baoase for the ultimate in relaxation. Sit on the beach and enjoy the breeze without loud music, screaming children or the hassle of finding a free lounge chair. None of these will be an issue. Free roam the property and watch the sun set on one of their many, specially placed chairs. Just let the staff pamper you and soak in the experience. As they told us when we arrived; this is all about peaceful, relaxed luxury.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank diversNC
Durham, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2010

We went to Baoase for our honeymoon and stayed for about 6 days. We made our reservations through a travel agent and had no problems making the arrangements. They were great about making sure we had transportation to the resort even after we had some last minute flight delays. We arrived late, but they kindly kept the restaurant open late for us since we hadn't eaten yet.

The facility is gorgeous, and we absolutely loved our room. We stayed in a second story suite that was very private and incredibly comfortable. It's beautifully designed and it's brand new so everything looks great.

We loved the food while we were there, and though there were not a lot changes to the daily specials, everything we had was fresh and delicious. We loved eating there and chose to for most of our meals. The food was reasonably priced considering the quality, and there was a good range of price options (depending on whether you wanted tapas or fresh fish). [I highly recommend the tiger shrimp and fresh mango salad]. :)

We were also really pleased with their service. All of the staff members were very kind, friendly and attentive, and even though there were few people staying there at the time, we appreciated them not constantly checking on us. They were also very helpful in recommending fun activities to do on the island. Our ATV tour was definitely one of the highlights of the trip, and they set up a wonderful romantic dinner for us our last night there.

We would definitely recommend this resort for anyone (especially someone looking for a quiet, relaxing and romantic vacation), and we plan on going back there in the future!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple