“Visit will be a Lifetime Memory”

Baoase Luxury Resort
Ranked #1 of 32 Hotels in Willemstad
Lisle, Illinois
“Visit will be a Lifetime Memory”
Reviewed December 25, 2013

"We arranged a DAY trip combination Couples Massage and Dinner under the stars. NOTE THIS IS NOT A REVIEW ON AN OVERNIGHT STAY.This day trip required registration with the resort well in advance of our visit. When we arrived we were given a tour of the outstanding Baoase's secluded oceanfront and beach. After selecting our beach veranda we enjoyed a wonderful optional lunch at their outdoor restaurant. FYI there is only one restaurant/bar on the property. This was followed by a Couples massage in the beach massage hut (very intimate). My wife and I both agreed the massages were one of the best we have had. This is a MUST experience. For our dinner we were provided a premium seaside table on the beach with candlelight pelican row boats floating 10 yards offshore. We selected the five course meal and a fine bottle from their vast wine list. Everything was absolutely superb. Each course was an epicurean delight. The resort is a bit difficult to find so try to get finite directions, both to and from. The visit will be a lifetime memory

Room Tip: Be sure to get FINITE detail directions to and from
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Czech first
London
Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

At first impressions this hotel was fantastic. We stayed in an ocean view suite which had a private jacuzzi which was fantastic. The room was great too, had just enough space and the nice deck with the jacuzzi.

As has been noted in other reviews we thought the breakfast was excellent with a good selection of breads and all the normal dishes you'd expect. The beach is nice and quiet - it is small but there are only 15 rooms so doesn't need to be bigger. There are loads of sun loungers and a "sunset lounge" which was a nice touch. You can also use the snorkels and kayaks (for free).

Staff were generally very friendly and would try to help out whenever they could.

However we did have a few nagging issues with the hotel which we felt would not occur in most other 5 star hotels:

1) we arrived at 1am and would not expect there to be people there to welcome us (apart from security) but no one really made an effort to show us around or introduce themselves to us until we went into reception or spoke to people to ask.
2) halfway through our 7 day stay we were told by reception we "had to pay the balance of our stay immediately" - this made it feel like the staff thought we might leave without paying - whereas most hotels I've been to you would pay at checkout.
3) service in the restaurant was incredibly slow - for both breakfast and dinner on numerous occasions.
4) the car hire company (Boric) used by the hotel were terrible - they dropped the car off without giving us the opportunity to inspect and sign anything then tried to charge the wrong price and the attitude of the representative was poor.
5) too many little errors occurred with various things at reception e.g. couples massage wasn't booked properly so we couldn't have ours together but the hotel did give us complimentary ones which was very nice of them. We also had a case where I asked them to enquire about the swimming with dolphins but they didn't enquire they booked it straight up ($340) and said we couldn't change it else we would have to pay. The swimming with dolphins is well worth doing.

There are many great restaurants within 2.5km of the hotel like the Wine Cellar, Fishalicious and Brasserie Nano which are well worth trying. Everyone said it was unsafe to walk at night but we had no issues at all. Taxis are apparently $17-19 each way.

Overall the hotel was great, but a few things which could be improved to make it a truly 5 star experience.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Nick R
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 26, 2013

We spent 4 nights at Baoase in mid-November. This is a beautiful property with lovely rooms and an
excellent restaurant. The service was spectacular - all the staff we encountered were consistently friendly, polite, and helpful.

If you like large resorts, then Baoase is not the place for you. Baoase feels much more like a luxury villa with all the amenities of a hotel. The infinity pool is small, but pretty and relaxing with a nice waterfall and a private "cave" entrance in the middle. The ocean front, while man-made, allows you to swim in calm waters, but still maintains a view of the bigger ocean beyond. It seems to block the heavy winds a bit as well, allowing a breeze to come through, but nothing too strong. Our favorite spot was "the sunset lounge" an open air wooden structure at the edge of the ocean where the staff would set up large cushions and pillows every afternoon for couples to lie down and enjoy the sunset.

The food at the restaurant was delicious - we had breakfast included and got a nice assortment of baked goods every day, juices, smoothies, eggs any style, waffles, crepes, and small salads (egg, tuna, beef, etc...). For lunch,
we generally ate "tapas style" as we were never that hungry after big breakfasts and treats from the beach butler. We ate dinner at the restaurant one night - it was honestly the best dinner I have ever had. I ordered the Chef's surprise menu and let them know I did not like mushrooms. Everything was exceptional and you cannot beat the setting right on the beach. I can't imagine a more perfect evening.

Carlos gave us a great tour of the West side on our second day which gave us a good feel for Curacao. The resort provides snorkel gear and kayaks which we used a few times to explore outside the man-made swimming area. The resort is close to the city, so it is easy to get there by cab for dinner out. We ate at Kome one night which was excellent - felt kind of like a restaurant in New York City.

My only complaint about Baoase is the front desk staff wasn't always as detail oriented as they could have been, so you do have to make sure that you keep copies of emails with requests made ahead of time - it wouldn't hurt to confirm just prior to the trip. (We had asked for luxury transfer to and from the airport, but had to take a taxi as no one from the resort was waiting for us. I had requested that they decorate our room prior to our arrival for my husband's birthday, but it was not done until I reminded them the morning after we arrived. (This turned out to be nicely done - they hung balloons and brought a really unique and tasty gourmet cake to the room). Also, there were two instances that we asked for taxis, but a resort staff
member drove us instead. Even though we had not requested it, we were charged an extra fee for the rides). Nothing that ruined the trip, just small details to be aware of if this sort of thing bothers you. Overall, the staff was kind and accommodating and the resort was so tranquil and relaxing that these small issues were irrelevant. I would definitely recommend checking this place out if you are looking for a quiet, romantic place to stay in the Caribbean!

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank Advice42
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 24, 2013

the resort itself is beautiful, the service is friendly and attentive, but the location is just awful! the entire beach is man made - which is ok, but it's just a small closed in area that is pretty. the unit we stayed in was 3 bedroom 2 and a half bathrooms, with a kitchen and a beautiful patio that was attached to the salt water pool. there are a number of units attached to the pool, and although there is vegetation, privacy there isn't.
we rented a car, so getting around was not an issue for us, but it would be for most if you don't call for a cab. this isn't a place to walk around!
At the time of our stay, we were the only americans, the other guests were mostly from holland.

Room Tip: the way the resort is set up, it's best to be in a unit closest to the beach for a view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank labmom13
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 5, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from our honeymoon at Baoase Resort in Curacao. It is definitely a "luxury resort" at its finest. The entire experience from the initial booking until we left was amazing - easy, smooth, accommodating and nothing unexpected. The property was maintained to perfection, the decor and atmosphere was pure luxury, and the service was quality. I've been fortunate with my job to travel to many luxury and 5 star hotels and resorts around the world, and Baoase truly belongs in the luxury category. The staff was out of this world - I'm not sure what their hiring process is, but they truly hire the best of the best. Nothing was too much to ask, and all of the staff was always patient, kind, friendly, knowledgeable and fun. We felt like they were our friends by the end of the trip and were very sad to leave. I highly recommend this resort to couples looking for a romantic, relaxing and memorable getaway. Thank you, Baoase!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lcapar
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed November 1, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this resort.

To start, as we were already on the island, we visited the resort on a Sunday in hope to get a tour and book a room immediately. they informed us that we could not have a tour nor book a room as reservations was not there. No one offered to take our contact details to call us. After many times calling to reach the reservations department, a not so friendly lady, Kim assisted us. After the booking, Claire emailed us offering to take part in a lobster night. When I replied asking for the menu, no one emailed back to provide this. Small details, but all part of the total experience.

Upon arrival Jeniffer greeted us and welcomed us to the hotel, gave us a tour. the hotel is amazingly beautiful and unique on the island. Many small details are taken care off. staff are very hospitable and detail oriented. Check in was a very smooth process. Once in the room, she gave us a welcome non alcoholic drink and amenities, which were nice details. There was champagne for us, however I was 8,5 months pregnant and was not able to have this at this point. The room was nicely decorated, however TOO small. The bathroom was even smaller and made me a bit uncomfortable. We loved the idea of the outdoor shower, however I did not like to have that as my only option to shower.
The beach butlers were very nice. They came immediately to make our beds comfortable and it was worth it.

At the bar, the bartender did not know what a mudslide was,however, he quickly researched it and made one. He was very nice and offered a complimentary drink while he made it. We had a great breakfast.The dinner atmosphere was very romantic and with great staff. The manager, Rick, was very nice and offered a different snack option for me as I was not able to have anything raw. However, my appetite vanished due to an incident with my dinner. This was my second time with a bad experience during dinner here. Rick apologized.

Furthermore, we liked the peace and atmosphere. Great for getaway!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Stow, MA
Reviewed October 29, 2013

My wife and I have been to several resorts in the Caribbean including some on Anguilla, Antigua, Tortola, Dominican Republic, Grand Cayman and others. Over the years with those places we have come to expect a certain type of great atmosphere with moderate service and have always been fine with that. We have no problem with roughing it, so to speak. From what we read about Baoase we thought we were definitely going up in overall experience but had no idea we would be turning the dial to 11. It was an overall absolutely amazing experience but I thought I would break it down into all of the categories my wife and I could think of while getting very depressed in the airport on departure day...

Food...
First of all my wife is a vegetarian and on MANY islands in the Caribbean this means she gets pasta and veggies for every meal since this is a foreign concept in many of those islands. At Baoase, not only did they customize EVERY meal for her but came up with insane creations and kept throwing surprises at her following up with a completely surprise menu just for her on the last night. And it was MY birthday!! All of my meals were excellent and I tried everything on the menu from the steak to the lobster (massive) to the fish (Sea Bass and Tigerfish) with the Curry Chicken, Tandoori Chicken and Duck! All were amazing. The breakfast is a thing to behold as well since they have a full customized cold area to choose smoothies or yogurt from and then a full hot breakfast menu. My wife had various omelets and I always had the special whether it was french toast or waffles or banana pancakes. Absolutely could not go wrong with any of it. Before every meal they bring out fresh warm rolls and breads to get you started and during the dinner time meal, they bring out a special creative course before the main course which is always something very unique to the meal and off the menu. The fruit there was amazing and not only do they leave a bowl of it for you in your room each day but it is plentiful and available any time you ask. The prices of the meals were on par with anything we would pay on any other island for the same meals. I also want to make note of the fact the process itself of dining there is extraordinary in that you can pick tables right on the water or a romantic table under a gazebo or you can have dinner right at your lounge chairs!!

Accommodations...
I kept saying over and over to my wife that there is so much attention to detail at Baoase that it is insane. Every possible detail has been accounted for in everything from silverware, chinaware, placemats, napkins, towels, rooms and on and on. There is not a hint of laziness, bedragglement or indifference. All of the staff are so nice and will do anything for you if you just ask and sometimes before you even ask. When we arrived they had made us a intermediate meal while we waited for dinner and had brought use Prosecco, fruit and fresh bread right to our room. All we had to do was kick off our shoes and relax for 6 days. I kept admiring the ingenious designs of the rooms as well. We did our first night in the Banyan tree room which was beautiful and had the most amazing outdoor shower and bath and then the rest of the trip was in the Ocean Suite #1. This Suite had its own outdoor patio, jacuzzi, massive bed and I just loved the interior design aspects that they put together. On our second night there when they turned down our beds for us at night they put down rose petals all over the room and lit candles and played music for us (to celebrate my 40th birthday) but it was extremely romantic and we took some pictures of it which are below.

Beach...
The beach was awesome and though man made, again I have to refer to the amount of detail and effort spent to make the lagoon with all of its special design effects. There are dozens of places that a couple can make their camp for the day whether its under one of the many private gazebos or whether you want to go out to the center of the lagoon and camp on the island, the staff comes by and arranges very soft pillows and towels for you on the lounge chairs and takes care of your every need. There is so much to see and look at without ever even leaving Baoase! The birds and iguanas and fish were all so plentiful and everywhere you looked. We loved watching the pelicans lazily fly around all day and catch fish while the most beautiful sunset occurred every day like clockwork over the Atlantic. Every night Venus would come out and sit over the horizon and the stars were beyond brilliant.

I could keep writing but it goes on and on like this...about everything. My depression since returning to Boston today really has me thinking about how amazing a time I had being there and how much I just relaxed fully for the first time in years. Thanks Baoase!!

Room Tip: Both the Banyan Tree room and the Ocean Suite 1 were amazing rooms and each had its own special flav...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple