“Good middle class hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Trupial Inn

Trupial Inn
Ranked #21 of 31 Hotels in Willemstad
Helmond, The Netherlands
“Good middle class hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

I stayed here for 6 nights during a business trip.
The rooms are recently renovated and functional.

Bathroom with large shower but no hot water unfortunately, just barely lukewarm.
Clean towels every day. (could get replaced by newer towels, some are a bit greyish)
Sleeping comfort was good; good quality matrass, quiet, air conditioning in good position.
Too small and filthy hairdryer. The cleaning lady should take the dust of things as well!!!
Services: free WIFI in room and outside
Daily cleaning was sufficient.

Service front desk:
One morning, when it was raining for hours, I called reception and asked for an umbrella. They told me they would bring it over as soon as it would stop raining or I could come get it myself….????? What's the use of an umbrella when the rain has stopped or when I'm already wet because I have to come get it myself??? It illustrates the working mentality in Curacao unfortunately.

I asked them to arrange check in at the airport for me and print the boarding pass. Instead of taking care of this for me they offered me their desk and computer to do it myself, which I appreciated but I'm used that the front desk takes care of this for me.

There was major construction going on outside (pool bar and restaurant) but this didn't bother me to much because I was away most of the time. If it would be my holiday destination I would be very unhappy with this. The pool is too small and there are no sunscreens.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

Booked through travel agency for 1 week. First thing, when i checked in they charge me the whole stay, they did not give an invoice. Because of my type of job i had to check out 2 days early, so i gave reception the appropriate advise. To my surprise they told me they do not refund money to reservations booked made by travel agency. Had to speak to the manager which did not do anything to help me out because hotel policy. Very unprofessional staff...limited restaurant offering.first time and last time staying in that Hotel.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Jose F
Rotherham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

we stayed there in late september 2013, the entrance and restaurant were still under construction. and the restaurant had a very limited menu, the food wasnt the best anyway
nice swimming pool. Colorful deck chairs outside each room but the mosquitoes spoil it by constantly biting and swarming around you.
Bed was very comfortable but overall the room could have been better presented
the toilet was blocked four out of the seven days we stayed, at one point the shower drain overflowed and flooded out into the room
Front desk staff are friendly and helpful. maintenance or up keeping of the rooms is inadequate.
there is a daily shuttle bus into the town which is quite a distance away from the hotel
locally there is a few restaurants with tony roma being the best of these within walking distance

In all honesty if i return to curacao i would seek accomodation elsewhere as there is better to be had at the price

Room Tip: try to get rooms in the 30's the 70's seem to have worse mosquitoes and drainage
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Divemaster6961
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

When we were there in August, the entrance and restaurant were under construction. The ground is well maintained. It has a very nice swimming pool. Colorful deck chairs outside each room are cute and pleasant. Beds are very comfortable (4 stars). Front desk staffs are friendly and helpful.
There are some not so good things. Given that the rooms were renovated within the last 2-3 years, maintenance or up keeping of the rooms is inadequate. The tile grout and caulking around the shower stall are dirty (brown and black). There are also stains on the wall in front of the sink (not too pleasant to look at when brushing teeth). Two stars for the bathroom. The housekeeping staffs never smile or say good morning. In fact when the cleaning person found out that we were in our room (around 11 am), instead of saying that she would come back, she wanted to come in to clean the room. With all the renovation, this hotel has potential, if the management can do a better job in its up keeping.
By the way, it is helpful to rent a GPS. Although the hotel is conveniently located east of Punda (10 minutes drive), it is not that easy to find. Curacao has NO signs for street names. Google map would not help at all when you don't know what street you are on.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Four of us shared a deluxe double room for just one night for a long layover. It was a small room but was ok for the short trip. The room was very nice, clean, and updated to a modern look. There was a nice flat screen TV as well. The pool was very nice and there was a swim up bar. The bartender, Meki, was very friendly and made excellent drinks. We also had dinner at their restaurant which was also good. There was plenty of security throughout the hotel area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
Grand Rapids, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

My dive buddy and I recently stayed here and within the first 10 min of arriving he had his carry-on bag stolen from right outside the office/check-in with all his important stuff in it (passport, scuba regulator etc) while checking in we left our bags outside the office in full view and when we came out his bag was gone!! We were shocked as this was the first time anything like this had ever happened to us in our lives, and we both travel quite a bit. We asked the front desk guy to alert their on site security team and they claimed they never saw the thief or bag. After we did a quick and frantic search of the property and turned up nothing I asked about security cameras and their location and it turned out that there was one fixed right on the area and the thief would surely be on the video. I asked them to let us see it and they said the owner had to come down to do this and we should come back to the office "in the morning"!?! I insisted that would be FAR too late and we needed to see it now so we could call the police and hopefully get it back. They agreed to ask him to come down right away and claimed they'd called him to come let us look at the video. No less than 2 min later two of the "security" guards came around the corner from the parking lot area and had the bag in had and claimed that they 'found' it out by our rental car in the lot and "we must have left it there by our car" there is NO CHANCE that we left this very important bag in the parking lot and I know for a fact that he had it when we got to the check-in. This was a terrible start to our stay.

After 5 days he had to return home and I was staying for 4 more days alone and asked to be moved to a room with a king bed rather than the double bed room I was in. After waiting a while they called to say my room was ready. I relocated my stuff, no offer to help from them, and settled into my new room. At first glance it was fine but when I pulled back the covers to lay down on the bed I saw a small wet spot on the fitted sheet. I figured it must have been water spilled on it or something and blew it off. A few min later I realized that my back felt damp and got up and pulled the sheet off and realized the mattress pad was SOAKED with some sort of liquid, I then pulled back the mattress pad and the whole mattress was also soaking wet!!! DISGUSTING!!! How in the world the maid missed this is beyond my comprehension... I insisted they bring a new mattress and after 30-40 min they finally swapped it out but how gross is that??

One last thing the bathrooms in both rooms smelled like mold or mildew and it never went away even after having the room cleaned daily.

Other than those things the room and bed was comfortable but I can't see myself ever staying there again. Also because I forgot my computer charger cord there and they wanted me to give them my CC # over the phone so they could charge the shipping costs to my card!!! Not a chance in the world I would have done that. They ended up saying it would cost $65 for them to FedEx it back to me and I told them I could buy a new one for half that price and if they would please just ship it by regular mail. This was over 2 weeks ago and I haven't seen it yet.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars
5 Thank Jay R
St.Gallen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

My first impression of the hotel was... Wow... i was traveling alone, arived at night hours and was hearing only noises of cicadas and other animals. I felt like in jungle :) . i felt excited. Lot of palm trees and many flowers and green everywhere. I loved the location, because it wasnt direct in the city. Its situated quit in the middle between the airport and Willemstad. So no beach. But, beautiful nice pool. Staff working in the hotel is very friendly and discret. About cleanless , never i had any doubts. Rooms are spacious bit cool but mordern. I felt safe in this area, even its dark outside on the streets. There are few small restaurants in walking distance as well a simple sympatic shopping mall. I would recommand this place to everybody who doesnt need to stay day and night in AI hotels with animation and look for bit more quite location.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Bummlerin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Willemstad
The Ritz Studios
#3 of 31 in Willemstad
4.5 of 5 stars 482 reviews
Renaissance Curacao Resort & Casino
No photo provided

Been to Trupial Inn? Share your experiences!