WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #13 of 32 Hotels in Willemstad
Los Angeles, California
“Know Before You Go”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2014

I just came back from a stay at this hotel 8/8-812 and it was a decent experience, I had never been out of the country before and I learned a lot. This review is about things I wish i had known in advance before going or choosing, some the hotels issue some just general.

First, the charge you an extra $200 for expenses while you will be staying there, i guess this is because they know you will sort of be trapped there if you have no car. I was ok with this but it did throw me off as I was not expecting it.

Two, the way the resorts are set up I really are conducive to going anywhere else. I read reviews of people saying they walked to Pirates Bay or Floris but I really dont see how unless they were walking in the road. Furthermore, the only other resort I even saw a way to get into was the Marriot. I did see a sign for Floris but no entry way. It was because of this I say I was trapped as I was forced to eat at the hilton only because I didnt feel safe exploring trying to figure out a way to get into the other resorts.

This bring me to the food, there are only a few places to eat at the Hilton, sure if you break it down it comes to about 5 or 6 but they all pretty much serve the same thing. I mainly ate at Captain Blights because it was the most convenient being right there but the Beach Bar and Grill a mere few steps away serves the same food. I also noticed that at the Beach Bar and Grill soe of the exact same drinks were $1 cheaper than at Captain Blights, it was baffling. The breakfast at Aqua is $25 bucks and while they had a decent selection is wasnt anything special. The bacon and sausage were undercooked everyday. I ask for fried eggs once and ended up with burned sunny side up. The coffee was quite literally the nastiest coffee I have ever tasted. On my last day I finally used the in room coffee maker and wish I would have done that everyday, much better coffee. If you choose to go a little cheaper and just do continental it hardly seems worth as the cheese they had out had all melted together. I also ate at Cielos once, it was decent pasta but small portion and expensive.

here is my know before you go about the food the expresso bar seems to be much better. I didnt actually go in there until my second to last day and they had a breakfast sandwich for only $10 bucks, i didnt try it but I surely would have gone there every morning instead of Aqua. I also got a cold latte and it was good and only about $6. I also saw they had small lunches. Point is if you want somewhere cheaper than anything else at the hilton go to expresso cafe.

I know people go on vacation for fruity drinks but while tasty, they tasted like smoothie with no alcohol in them whatsoever, I can only imagine how much money would be spent trying to get a buzz from those. I stuck with the house wine for only $6.50 and knew i would at least be getting straight alcohol.

Its a $15 taxi ride into town but if I had known the food was going to be like that (expensive and small) I would have definitely arranged to go into town on my first day to stock up on fruit, snacks and water to survive off of. There is a small grocery story on the Otrabanda side that will do the trick in Willemstad and of course on the Punda side the market.

The shuttle into town fills up fast, because it only seats 11. I got there late friday and ask if I could make a reservation into town on the shuttle for monday and they told me the morning was already taken. So if you plan to use the hotel shuttle definitely book it early. Also, the shuttle is every 4 hours so you have to choose am from 830 to 1230 or 130 to 530. I heard and agree that the morning is best to go into town as things tend to shut down in the afternoon. I listened to my gut and caught a taxi into town b/c i wanted to go to Kura Hulanda Museum and there is no way I would have had time to go to museum and explore in the four hours i had. Also dont let a full booking fool you, when I was waiting to be picked up for the afternoon I counted 10 ppl getting off and in my trip 9. also the shuttle doesnt run on Sundays, but it seems to be fore the best and very little seems to be open on the weekends in Curacao which is another thing I wish I would have known before I went so that I could have arranged/booked differently.

My room was nice, i had an ocean view which was great. I did not notice until the final day that there was a large chunk of glass missing from the table on the balcony. The first thing I noticed in the room was how the shower looked old and new at the same time. I guess new design shoddy works? there were upheaved and cracked tiles.

Room Cleaning was slow on the weekends at they did not clean my room until well after 3pm on sunday. I dont know when they cleaned it on saturday as i was away doing an all day tour with a company. Also room cleaning seemed to be totally on a whim not a set standard. For example, one day I only got two towels the rest of the days I got three. One day I got chocolates, the rest of the days I did not. One day I literally got my things straightened up for me, the rest of the days I did not. One day I got only lotion replaced, the other 2 days I got nothing replaced and 1 day I got a full replace. i guess it just depends on who you get what day but again seems odd no set standing that cleaning service has to follow.

Do not pay attention to anything it says in the books they provide about hotel amenities omg where do I begin. first, the numbers to call are all wrong. In the book it says to dial 6063 to get room service. Let me tell you for 4 DAYS i tried to get room service and never once did anyone ever answer that line. On day 2 I just pressed the button that said room service and asked to order and was almost rudely told that this was the front desk and i needed to call 6064 to get room service from captain blights bar. Well, that didnt work either as they line was ALWAYS busy i tried from 1pm to 1am no lie, always a busy signal. This further complicated things as again I was forced to go down to Captain blights lest i starve to death.

Second thing from the book is those tv channels DO NOT EXIST!! there was no HBO and there were none of the channels listed in the book. It didnt even seem to be the same cable/satellite company as i know by tv was broadcasting something from miami. I was really disappointed as i couldnt find anything and there were only about 15 available channels.

My room seemed to be missing a lamp from one of the side tables. There are no plugs by the bed except behind a night stand on one side so my ipad was sort of difficult to access.

Internet was $65 for 5 days which sucked for me because the Hilton didnt even prorate it as I only used 4 days but it was less expensive than if I would have paid for 4 days but here is another know before you go. I probably could have gotten away with paying for only 2 days b/c as I stated I was gone the entire day saturday on tour, so I could have just bought internet for $14.95 from 6pm saturday which would have lasted me until 6pm sunday and then again waited and paid for Monday morning to Tuesday when I was leaving and I would have only paid $30. If you suspect you will be away all day try to plan for that. Also I saw signs saying the casino had free wifi, point is there is a better way to do wifi than I did and I wish I had known.

Now for the beaches. I dont really know where all these beautiful beaches comments come from with no mention of how rocky it is!! Curacao itself seems to be very rocky and is definitely morning conducive to exploring fish underwater swimming than standing. I actually hurt my foot the first day trying to navigate those rocks. I dont scuba or snorkel or swim, I just wanted to stand in the water walk around and relax and I couldnt as I had to constantly look for rocks so I wouldnt hurt myself again. This was at the beach right in front of the hotel. The other beach down the path something with a P like Pascara or something was equally rocky but here is my know before you go for the beach. Right before you get to P beach there is a small staircase almost entirely covered in sand very easy to miss, I did until my second to last day, well walk down those stairs and there is a small beach that is much much much much i cant emphasize how much less rocky it is there. Small rocks, but nothing big you have to look out for. If you want to just walk around in the water like me go there.

also in reference to weekends, if the island shuts down on weekends the hotels seem to be going strong. It was so crowded on the weekend. There was wedding which played some awful music and loud until about a little after 11pm on saturday, there were flight crews everywhere, If you suspect this will bother you dont book on the ocean view side but i guess that honestly a small price to pay for an ocean view a few hours of inconvenience.

My air conditioning worked great in my room, no complaints there.

"Business Center" odd not a business center at all. Its the budget rental car office and I went in there thinking I could print out something but no dice. no printer.

Eves Boutique is expensive but if you want some flip flops like i needed give it a go. they only sell Havaianas though cheapest pair being $22.

Also, lot so families, lots of couples, I felt rather odd being there solo, but this resort definitely seems to lean more towards the family side, something else I wish I would have known.

Service at the front desk good, cleaning, luck of the draw there, bar, everyone was professional but you can tell some of the bartenders are just pandering for tips, some could give a damn one way or the other they are just doing there job and some who seem to really enjoy talking to the people and providing good service. Cielo the one man who works there is extremely nice. The girl at Aqua front desk in morning, nice as well.

Im hesitant to say whether the hilton was good or bad as for me this entire thing was just a learning experience. Would I stay here again? Probably not as if I am going to be trapped on a resort, I need more and cheaper food options, I would like comp wifi (or at least cheaper), I would like smooth beaches. I was told the way to go on islands is all inclusive so I will be doing that next time.

Overall, I had a good experience I would say, again there is just a lot I learned, a lot I wish I had known and this is why my review is all about knowing before you go so hopefully I can help someone out like me.

Room Tip: I dont know I had an ocean front room on the third floor. It was too hot to sit and watch the sun...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
6 Thank MikiB7
Cedric N, General Manager at Hilton Curacao, responded to this review, September 17, 2014
Dear MikiB7,

Thank you for your very extensive review of your stay at our hotel on Tripadvisor!

It is great that you overall enjoyed your stay at our hotel and provide future guests to the island and the hotel with such useful tips. I am glad that you enjoyed our renovated rooms with ocean views and our Corner Shop which provides coffee and snacks. It will be my pleasure to share your kind words about the service at our front desk as well as Cielo and Aqua with the respective teams. Please take note that we do offer accessibility stations with internet and printer in our Corner Shop for our guests to use free of charge. Furthermore I would like to clarify that the $200 you are mentioning refer to a deposit which was blocked as a usual practice to cover additional expenses.
I thank you for the number of improvement points you are mentioning and will bring those to the attention of the respective departments.

We hope to welcome you back at the Hilton Curacao!

Cedric Nubul – General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Polish first
Sliema, Malta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2014

Stayed for a week at the end of July - on second floor. The hotel itself needs some refurbishing but we had a lovely large room with the view from the balcony overlooking the sea and no problems with the air conditioner etc. but the room did smell damp all the time. The staff were really friendly and helpful, the breakfast was good although too many birds wanting the food! The beach was clean but not enough umbrellas/shade at the weekend. The pool got quite busy. Snorkeling was excellent, with amazing sea life. The drinks and food in the hotel were quite expensive and we were disappointed that there wasn't local food choices. Also limited options around the hotel . However they do provide an empty fridge so we bought some supplies from the town - there is a free shuttle. No airport shuttle but set rate of $25 dollars. Overall enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Better views the higher up you go and definitely worth paying for the sea view - beautiful sunsets.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tina D
Dear Tina D,

Thank you for taking your time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor!

It is great that you overall enjoyed your stay at our hotel. I am pleased to read that our renovated rooms were to your liking and you appreciated our staff, beach and snorkeling possibilities. We are glad to provide our guests with a shuttle to the city center but are not able to provide a shuttle to and from the airport due to governmental regulations.
I appreciate your feedback in regards to several improvement points you are mentioning. Concerning the refurbishment, I am glad to inform you that after having completed our room renovations we are in the process of executing further renovations as part of a larger improvement plan of our hotel.

We hope to welcome you again at the Hilton Curacao and also present to you the changes we made until then!

Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2014

My wife & I were there 8/9 &8/10. I reserved a room on the executive floor. The room was not ready at 3 check in. When we got in the room, my travel clock told me the room temperature was 80 degrees. I reported this and someone was sent who said it would be better after sunset.
The next morning the temperature was 78 degrees. I brought this to the attention to the front desk. Two hours later I went back and they said the problem was fixed. I got the "fixer" to go to the room and see the temp was 78 degrees. He did nothing.

I got the manager involved and they removed the AC unit to repair it and put it back. There Was no improvement. It was 81 degrees in the room. The hotel does not keep AC units stored in case one fails.

I was offered no consideration for my hassle and sleeping with only a fan in the room. We were here 4 years ago and the AC was poor. My daughter & family live there so we'll go back I have been fooled twice and will go back but to the Marriott.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank 016200
Dear 016200,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel on Tripadvisor!

I regret that we failed to fully meet your expectations of your stay. I understand your frustration and offer you my sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced in regards to your AC. I apologize that we did not manage to solve this issues satisfactorily and that you experienced this issue in succession. I would appreciate if you would be kind enough to contact me directly via cedric.nubul@Hilton.com.

Philadelphia, Pa.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2014

The Hilton is over 30 years old & a lot of the furnishings need to be replaced. But the hotel is clean. The AC crapped out on our second day & we were moved to another room, but not upgraded. I forgot I was not in Las Vegas.
Beach is nice, quiet & excellent SCUBA & snorkling. Free exercise room for hotel guests, a definite plus. Dining is OK. Surprisingly, I tried the pizza & it was good, Better than some I have had in the USA. We ate at a lot of local places on the island. Try "De Fles" for the best tenderloin I have ever eaten. A good happy hour at the hotel. The service staff are very nice. Its not a great hotel, but I would return. The casino sucks. The location to town (Punda) is good, but you do need a car for sightseeing. The I-Phone App "WAZE" is good for navigation around the island.
I did run into a few Americans who are students learning hotel management in Curacao for a semester.

2 Thank umpire48
Cedric N, General Manager at Hilton Curacao, responded to this review, August 22, 2014
Dear umpire48,

Thank you for taking your time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor!

It is great to read that you overall enjoyed your stay at our hotel. Thank you for complimenting our beaches and convenience of our onsite dive shop and snorkeling possibilities. I am glad that you appreciated the service quality at our hotel. I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you encountered in regards to your AC but understand that his has been resolved quickly. It is my pleasure to inform you that in the continuous effort of improving our facilities more upgrades will follow on our recently completed room renovations.

We hope to welcome you back at the Hilton Curacao!

Al Jubail, Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2014

We were there during the off season and found the stay very relaxing. The room was very large with a balcony looking over the water. The grounds were well maintained and peaceful. Free shuttle to the city. Airport shuttle would be a plus.

2 Thank POPPY-Jubail
Dear POPPY-Jubail,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel on Tripadvisor!

I am pleased to read that you fully enjoyed your stay at our hotel. Thank you for complimenting our room sizes and the ocean views to be enjoyed from the balconies. We appreciate your feedback in regards to the shuttle service we provide. Unfortunately we are not able to implement an airport shuttle due to governmental regulations on the island.

We hope to welcome you back for a vacation at the Hilton Curacao!

Kirksville, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2014

My husband and I are close to 60 and were traveling without any kids along for the first time in about 30 years. We stayed at the Hilton Curacao for 11 nights in June, having chosen it because we had Hilton Honors points to use, and we were able to reserve an ocean front junior suite on the third floor at a very reasonable rate with an upgrade. I agree that the hotel building itself could use some updating, but our room was spacious, immaculate, and the view was amazing! Furthermore, the two beaches on the property were beautiful, and the one nearest the hotel offered the best snorkeling we've ever done, right off the beach! Although the hotel is a bit of a distance from downtown Willemstad, there is a free shuttle every day to and from the Queen's bridge and we found it very convenient to ride in to visit museums and shop by ourselves for 3-4 hours then ride back to the hotel--10 min trip, bringing fresh fruit and cheese from the floating market. We also took lots of tours that we were able to book at the hotel; the tours picked us up and delivered us right on time in the huge open lobby. (The trip to Kleine Curacao was wonderful--we really did snorkel with turtles!) We only used cabs between the hotel and airport, as the hotel offered three options for dining: a deli style place, a nice formal restaurant, and special dinners 3-4 nights a week by the beach bar. There were several excellent restaurants within walking distance (Pirates Bay was our favorite--call for a reservation and get a table right ON the beach!) There is even the ruins of an old fort right by the hotel--how unique is that? Finally, we found the staff to be courteous and very kind. In particular, the ladies in the executive lounge went above and beyond to make us feel welcome and to make sure our stay was enjoyable. Corinne and Donetta (may not be spelling that right, but she's from Jamaica and was just as sweet as she could be) were especially friendly and helpful. We had a wonderful vacation--even got hooked on futbol due to the excitement around the World Cup games while we were there. If you are going to Curacao to stay in a spiffy new hotel building, look elsewhere. But if you want to enjoy beautiful beaches, historic ruins and museums, excellent snorkeling, readily available free transportation for shopping, and ready access to restaurants, ocean sports and numerous tours, all in the safe and friendly environs of a slightly dated hotel at a reasonable price, this is the place for you!

2 Thank H David W
Dear H David W,

Thank you for taking your time to write a review about our hotel on Tripadvisor!

It is a pleasure to read that your stay at our hotel fully met your expectations.
I am glad that you enjoyed our rooms, our beaches and snorkeling possibilities as well as dining options. Indeed, the hotel is built on an old fort as you noticed yourself.
It is great that you could make the best of your stay on the island and appreciated the small details of our resort and Curacao.

We hope to welcome you back at the Hilton Curacao for your next vacation!

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2014

Great location, service of staff needs improvement. Internet in room (additional charge) does not work 4 of 4 rooms in our group were unable to connect except for the lobby (which is free). Security of balcony doors needs to be addressed, no lock, door does not fully close, just a chain to prevent fully opening door. AC was weak at best.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
      Cleanliness
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

2 Thank brownells5
Cedric N, General Manager at Hilton Curacao, responded to this review, September 5, 2014
Dear brownells5,

Thank you for sharing your experiences at our hotel on Tripadvisor!

I am sorry that we failed to fully meet your expectations. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced. I thank you for sharing your comments with us and please rest assured that I have already personally addressed these issues to our executive team to implement immediate corrective measures.

We hope to welcome you back at the Hilton Curacao and meet your expectations the following time!

Cedric Nubul – General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Willemstad
Van der Valk Kontiki Beach Resort
Floris Suite Hotel - Spa & Beach Club
Lions Dive & Beach Resort Curacao
Scuba Lodge & Suites
Scuba Lodge & Suites
#3 of 32 in Willemstad
Renaissance Curacao Resort & Casino
Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao

Been to Hilton Curacao? Share your experiences!