“Needs serious updates”

Ranked #16 of 32 Hotels in Willemstad
IL
“Needs serious updates”
Reviewed December 31, 2013

I stayed at Hilton Curacao in December and I would sum it up in one sentence: This Hilton Property needs to be maintained to the standards of other Hilton Hotels worldwide. At present it is very similar to the level of a Hilton Garden Inn in the US.

This Hilton is located at Piscadera fort. The surrounding area has UN offices and a Marriot and another boutique hotel property. The hotel looks certainly better from outside but in regards to name brand, I believe it has some challenges. I agree with the comments posted by other guests recently about this property.

Pros: Helpful staff, safe parking lot, nice spacious rooms and comfortable beds, clean bathroom and ample toiletries. Cleaning crew and safety guards are very pleasant to deal with. Wifi speed is superb. The restaurant has good breakfast.

Cons: Three major issues noted are as follows and it is upto Hilton to look into this very seriously.

1. The Executive Lounge is very small and cannot accommodate more than 12 guests at a time - the staff is polite but cannot help much when all the guests are asking too many things at the same time. This lounge is not equipped to serve a variety of food items for breakfast and evening hours, the quality of the service is also disappointing sometimes. Overall the lounge needs to be rebuilt or its access needs to be restricted strictly to just a few people in the present case.

2. The beach is really tiny and only a few guests can access the chaise and umbrellas at the beach. Besides, the access to the beach is really unkempt and can be nauseating should there be many people relaxing at the same time. The beach bar is really expensive and only has few items in its menu.

3. The location is much desolated. You will need a rental car or a taxi to access Willemstad and other parts of the island. There is not much to do around hotel itself. This will be the case with Marriot close to this location. That said, I feel that being a loyal Hilton elite member, the staff tried their best to please the guests in best of their capacity but overall Hilton should look for a better location and other properties or consider investing major cash to bring it to a Hilton Standard.

Room Tip: Look for room at higher floors overlooking the bay.
2 Thank nwajustdoit
HiltonCuracao, Sales & Marketing Executive at Hilton Curacao, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Dear nwajustdoit,

Thank you so much for sharing. We regret that we were unable to fully meet your expectations. We took note of your comments and definitely consider your suggestions and your observations. The management of the concerned areas has been informed, and is constantly working on improving our service. We always aim to ensure every guest feels cared for, valued and respected and I can assure you that your feedback will help us deliver this brand promise.
We hope we can welcome you again for an even greater experience.

Matsy Cijntje

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Polish first
Curacao, Netherlands Antilles
Reviewed December 30, 2013

I had a horrible stay at the Hilton Curacao from 24 tm 27 December 2013.
This situation is a serious harm for the public health.

This is not the quality of service I have expected from a Hilton hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Sheri14mer
HiltonCuracao, Sales & Marketing Executive at Hilton Curacao, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Dear Sheri14mer,

We appreciate your feedback and we are truly sorry to hear that you were not able to enjoy your stay with us.

Even though some of the issues were out of our control, rest assured that the ones that we could were tackled immediately.

We strive to uphold the highest standards of service and quality and can assure you that we are constantly working on improvements.

Matsy Cijntje

Travelers are raving about these Willemstad hotels

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Whether this was intentional or not, I love the classic look at feel of this hotel. Originally built in the late 1960's as the Hilton Curacao and then changing multiple hands before becoming the Hilton Curacao once more. (According to the Wikipedia Article I read about the hotel) But alas, I am a huge fan of the open air lobby, the beaches, large spacious rooms and treatment of Hilton HHonors members.

Speaking of the rooms, I was impressed how large the room was for being a standard room. There was plenty of space if need be to accommodate two roll away beds or host a small gathering. Plus the balcony was good size as well. All the staff we encountered were friendly and made us feel very welcome to stay at the property. Location wise, it's a quick 7-10 minute drive from the main downtown area with all the shops and only 10-15 minutes tops from the airport. Personally, I prefer to stay out of the main tourist thoroughfare and retreat to my hotel as need be to get away from it all. Next time I am in Curacao, I look forward to staying here again.

Room Tip: High floor ocean view of course
1 Thank MrInternational702
HiltonCuracao, Sales & Marketing Executive at Hilton Curacao, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear MrInternational702,

Thank you so much for sharing. We appreciate your nice and positive comments.
Your appreciation of our facilities, services and staff has a great meaning and motivates us to continue working to provide our customers with a very positive experience.
We would love to welcome you again let us know,for an even greater experience.

Masha danki,

Curacao, Netherlands Antilles
Reviewed December 30, 2013

I had a horrible stay at the Hilton Curacao from 24 tm 27 December 2013. I have experienced birds and mosquitoes standing on foods in the Hilton Curacao restaurants and all the guests were eating food with bacteria on it. This situation is a serious harm for the public health. I have complaint every single day about this horror and I have not notice any improvement. It seems that the hotel management does not care for the unhealthy situation in the restaurants. Every single day I have experienced tourists in the hotel complaining about this insane and or unhealthy situation in the restaurants. I became sick of the food in Hilton Curacao restaurant and because of this I was not able to enjoy Christmas. I am frequent guest of Hilton hotel all around the world and member of HHonors Number: 773654434 This is for the first time I had such bad experience at a Hilton Hotel. This is not the quality of service I have expected from Hilton hotel

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

2 Thank Sheri14mer
Dear Sheri14mer,

Kind Regards,

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed December 29, 2013

We booked a winter getaway here for a warm snorkeling getaway. Our first time to Curacao and only second in the Caribbean (first was Puerto Rico). We expected a fairly typical Hilton standard of room and property amenities. We were prepared for some of the things that make Curacao unique - rural atmosphere, low-key vibe. We also thought we were prepared for what we would find at the property itself based on the reviews.

Well, what can I say, we were disappointed in the hotel. If this is the remodeled hotel I hate to see what it looked like before. The rooms appear nice at first glance but things were just not done well; the handle to both parts of the shower faucet came off in our hand and the shower would not shut off completely. The common areas are not very updated. We also experienced more bugs at the property than other parts of the island; in fact, the only time we encountered any mosquitoes or no-see-ums was at the hotel.

Like others, we found the executive lounge sort of an afterthought. We had one trip for happy hour but it was so crowded we opted to leave. We had breakfast downstairs in the restaurant versus the executive lounge but it was not particularly good.

In sum, this property just does not live up to a global Hilton standard. It's more like a run-of-the-mill Best Western or Holiday Inn. When compared to Hilton properties elsewhere (like Puerto Vallarta, Cabo or even Puerto Rico), this one just does not compare.

That's not to say it's all bad here, it is not. The staff were all wonderful and extremely nice. They try hard. But the overall atmosphere just is not up to standard.

2 Thank SFO-World-Traveller
Dear SFO-World-Traveller,

Thank you for your review.It's great to hear that our team members made a impact on your stay and we are so pleased that they took good care of you.
We appreciate your feedback as it always helps to hear where our strengths and weaknesses lie so that we can improve upon them. We remain committed to providing excellent service to all of our valued guests. Thank you once again and we hope to see you again soon!

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

I wanted to love this Hilton and there are many good things about it. I'll set the scene.... I'm a Hilton Diamond checking in Christmas week for 6 nights using points. Nearly everyone we met was Diamond and using points.

Positives:

The water. It's clear, warm and just steps from the lobby. There were lots of loungers and although I didn't see a ton of fish there were some within 2 ft of water to see.

The cocktails. Cheap ($8) given you're at a resort and very delicious!

The breakfast at Aqua. Lots of fresh papaya (my favorite) and plentiful other options. The coffee however needs help :(

Negatives:

The Executive Lounge. It was a mob scene. Kids running around, people hoarding food and chairs and the lack of staff and selection were the worst I've seen at any International Hilton.

The Food Prices. The food was decent, think Applebee's quality. Nothing fancy but passable. However when 2 entrees an appetizer and 2 sodas cost $100 USD there's an issue.

The Room Upgrade. I'm Diamond and I started with a view of the parking lot. I booked my room in September and was there for almost a week. What??? Asked to be moved and the hotel was full but was told I could move to an Ocean room the next day. Took several calls to organize our move to Ocean View and we moved lower not higher.

Final negative and this is a big one which honestly almost ruined the stay.

Cleanliness. The hotel is older, it's being renovated although only marginally but basic cleanliness is expected and when I woke up after our 1st night to find the duvet (wrapped between 2 sheets) had dried blood stains I almost lost it. I talked to the front desk manager and the housekeeping manager who both apologized but then never followed up or checked on us again. Biological hazard and nothing beyond the basic "that's not good, we'll fix it" as if we'd had a broken lamp.

Overall we had a great week mostly reading, swimming and enjoying the small town of Willemstad. We went to the movies (cheap) and ate at Pirates Bay (next door) which was good and Plaza Bieu which was excellent!

I'm not sure we'll be back due to the length of time to get there from PDX but who knows.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank leopard8996
Dear Leopard8996,

Thank you so much for sharing.We are glad you enjoyed our hotel and our island.
We would like to apologize for the challenges you have been through.We are sorry that you felt any discomfort in this regard, as that is in no way our intention.
We hope we can welcome you again for an even greater experience.

Bolivia, North Carolina
Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here with our son age 24 and daughter age 28 for the Christ,as holidays. The beds were comfortable. It took the hotel 24 hours to correct their mistake and move the kids to a room with 2 beds. The beach area is very small and the entry is quite rocky. You need water shoes. The executive lounge provided a breakfast that was good enough. Their evening happy hour as awesome with good drink prices and beautiful sunsets. The service was excellent. We stayed on points so it is hard to complain but in the future I would stay at the Marriott. The hotel, pools, and grounds are better maintained at the Marriott. The beds were mor comfortable at the Hilton.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Travel2livewell
Dear Travel2livewell,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Curaçao! Thank you for taking your time to write a review as your feedback will assist us in improving our service to our valued guest. We appreciate your comments about our hotel. We hope we have the opportunity to continue to welcome you back to our property.

Masha danki,

Matsy Cijntje
Also consider these accommodations in or near Willemstad
Scuba Lodge & Suites
Scuba Lodge & Suites
#2 of 32 in Willemstad
Floris Suite Hotel - Spa & Beach Club
Van der Valk Kontiki Beach Resort
Lions Dive & Beach Resort Curacao
Renaissance Curacao Resort & Casino
Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao

Been to Hilton Curacao? Share your experiences!