“Wonderful Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 33 Hotels in Willemstad
New York City, New York
“Wonderful Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel on several different occasions for business and pleasure over the past six years and it is still one of my favourites. The location, the beachfront rooms, the welcoming, friendly staff and the overall good quality brings me back time and time again. The staff have always gone the extra mile for me and prepared a beautiful birthday cake for my niece's birthday a few years ago. Great rooms, good restaurants, nice pool and wonderful views.

Room Tip: Try the clam chowder at the beachfront eatery.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank culchavulcha

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (673)
Kensington, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

My husband and I just celebrated our anniversary and stayed here 10/6 through 10/13. While almost our entire stay was wonderful there were a few negatives which I will mention below. First the positives…We stayed in ocean front room # 287. It was a very quiet area and we loved it. Our bed was very comfortable and the room was large. The hotel rooms are a bit outdated based on USA Marriott standards but it is an island and most hotels/resorts are this way. Our room was clean and everything was in good working condition (it suited our needs for a week). We have also visited other islands and it is comparable. The grounds are well maintained and it is a beautiful resort.

The staff at the Marriott is wonderful!!!! We wanted to name a few people who were very helpful and provided excellent customer relations: Kurt Jackson (front desk manager), Meredith Garrido (supervisor of Portofinos) Michael Angelo who planned our romantic oceanfront dinner. The Staff is very friendly and will do pretty much anything to make their guests happy.

Cons-We had an issue at check in, which was resolved but it is a very important issue to keep in mind when reserving this resort. The Marriott will charge you UP FRONT $100.00 a day for anticipated charges at the resort. So with a 7 day stay that meant $700.00 charged to our credit card which we may or may not have spent at the resort. Since we were not planning on eating there each day and were planning on using our credit card for spending money instead of cash it posed a slight problem for us (thankfully we had enough cash to do most of the things we planned). Everyone may not be that fortunate so this should be explained prior to booking so people can plan accordingly. Most places will hold your card but not charge anything until you check out.

The food was ok at the restaurants there, definitely not worth the amount of money they charge, I do not mind spending over 30.00 a plate for dinner but I do expect an outstanding meal. The quality/quantity does not match the pricing. There is also a 15% service charge added to all the food bills which is not the tip for your server. It is a tip they give out twice a year to those who do not serve? I do not think that charge should be our responsibility, it should be the Marriotts responsibility to pay their own employees. So on top of very expensive meals and the service charge, then you are supposed to give an additional 15% to the waiter/waitress. You do not have to but it puts you in a difficult position because now you feel obligated to give your server a tip. I do have to say the breakfast at Portofinos is very good and worth the 23.00 for the buffet, you will also meet TJ there who is very friendly and helpful!

There are no laundry facilities, you can have your clothes washed by I am guessing an outside source but it is very expensive. It would be nice if they provided washers and dryers for their guests.

Again, overall I rate this resort high marks. Although some negatives but mostly a positive experience and we would definitely stay there again. If there were any issues, they were resolved to the best of the staff’s ability.

Room Tip: Room 287 Ocean front room, quiet area of resort
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank MIRJDR
Los Angeles, Ca
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

We only stayed at the Marriott for 2 days before heading West to Lodge Kura Hulunda. The Marriott was a good surprise, and we had a great time. I try and write my reviews to help you decide where you want to stay, because that it what I read them for. Here our my opinions, hope they help: (just a note... We went to Curacao for the snorkeling and a little diving so that is where I base my perspective).
Marriott staff was great, rooms were nice, in fact the whole resort was great. Beach was nice, although water was a little rough, which may have just been the time we were there. Snorkeling was a nice surprise, make sure to go outside the jetty to the left and there's a nice little stretch of amazing sealife (Found an eel, lion, trunk, porcupine, even a 5 foot Tarpon, along with all the standards. Marriott is close to Riffort and waterfront (10 minutes) which is a plus. I will say that the food and drinks are very expensive, so stop at the market on the way from the airport. The pool is a nice hangout, as well as a drink or 2 at "The Boardroom" down the beach. We did get an upgrade to a beachfront, sometimes all you have to do is ask. I will say, of course it depends on why you travel, but I would suggest staying 2-3 days at Marriott so you can do Williamstead, thgen "Go West Young man". In my opinion the best beaches are West. You could hit them all from the East end but Westpunt is a much better base for your adventures.
TIPS: Definatly stop at the market, everything is expensive. Beer drinkers BEWARE....beers are mostly served in 7oz bottles. If you love o snorkel buy a "Franko" map and don't be afraid to swim out to the deep reef, (also for some reason along the right side of each beach seems to be best). Although we never tried Mambo's I will say Pirate Bay, which is close to Marriott, was fun on a Sunday night.
I will also post a Review of Lodge Kura Hulunda.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BeachKing1
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

I drove myself crazy reading reviews of all the different hotels and resorts on Curacao. This hotel is 100% the best hotel on the island. Perfect balance of beach and relaxation and then a short cab ride to Willemstad.

We rented a car for two days and drove all over the island. My boyfriend and I both said each day we were so glad to come back to this hotel after seeing all the others. Staff was friendly, helpful and laid back. The Marriott was busy enough that you didn't feel secluded and the restaurants, bars and casino were fun, but you can always find a chair by the pool, a spot at the bar and space on the beach.

Another decision that was tough was to do all inclusive or not. We didn't and we were very glad we did not. Unless you are huge eaters/drinkers it would not be worth it. We were glad to have the freedom to go to different areas of the island to try different restaurants and when we were feeling lazy there were plenty of reasonably priced options at the hotel. Also the casino does free drinks while you are gambling!

Room Tip: We upgraded to the ocean front room and it was worth it!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Meredith M
Novi, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

We loved the smoothies at the Juice Bar at the Marriott Beach Resort in Curacao. They were all prepared by Catherine. Not only were they delicious (especially the chocolate cappuccino one), but Catherine was so nice and friendly and always had a smile on her face. We can't wait to go back and see Catherine and have some of her delicious smoothies again.

2 Thank Kelly B
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

My boyfriend and I traveled with another couple to Curacao from September 21-28th. We couldn't decide if we wanted to be in the city or secluded on a beach. We are loyal Marriott people, so we did 3 nights at the Renaissance and 3 nights here.

Wish we would have done one night in Willemstad and the rest here. The staff here is the best! Everyone from the housekeepers, to the pool staff, Michael Angelo in recreation (great water yoga class!) and Gesmeline at the front desk.

When we pulled into the hotel the bellman was there to great us with a cold beverage. Check in took a couple of minutes, but people need to loosen up. Your on vacation, your not in NYC. Check in is supposed to take some time; they want you to know where everything is so you feel at home.

Gesmeline checked us in and was the best. I felt like I was meeting my long lost sister, she made us feel like we were home.

Our room was very nice. A little dated, but it was clean, and it had a balcony. It had a nice size fridge, and a very easy to use safe.

The ocean and pool were wonderful. If you plan on swimming in the ocean, PACK WATER SHOES!!! It is next to impossible to get in the ocean without shoes.

The breakfast was great, super expensive, $23 a person, but very good.

We did their lobster night and the mussels night, both were great quality.

I would go back to this place in a heart beat!!

2 Thank megib
Oradell, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights on our honeymoon. It was a nice hotel; large and clean. It was definitely a large hotel chain experience, however. Nothing bad but no impressive details to make the stay stand out. We had an ocean view room, which was nice, but unfortunately we were the last room at the end of the hotel. One view overlooked the sea, but the other view looked straight onto the public beach parking lot. There is also no overhang over our door, so when it rained, it was difficult to leave our room and water leaked in under the door.
The breakfast buffet at the Portofino was good with lots of variety and options, but be prepared for a very long wait if you order a la carte.
If you're hoping to have a prime seat by the pool, make sure to get there early and to mark your space with a towel or something; otherwise, you'll never get a lounge chair with an umbrella later in the day.
Lunch at the Sea Breeze was fine if uninspired. The best part was the juice bar. Great smoothies and juices made from fresh fruit. Definitely a highlight.
Snorkel (and other diving gear) rentals was great and right on the property. I also had an awesome massage by a wonderful lady named Betty.

2 Thank Shasta C