“Unusual Little Attraction”

Complete Island Tour of Curacao
Ranked #27 of 109 things to do in Willemstad
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Blue Curacao is one of the most famous liqueurs in the world. But did you know that the Genuine Curacao Liqueur is produced on the island of Curacao at Landhuis Chobolobo? A distillery tour of Senior Liqueur is a journey through local history. Where you can experience the production process and enjoy the taste such as it has been produced since 1896. Free entrance & tasting. Opening hours are Monday to Friday from 8am to 5pm.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Unusual Little Attraction”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We had a crazy difficult time finding this place. The way locals told us to go (if they had even heard of it) was to begin by turning at "the Kentucky" and at the second traffic circle turn left and it woiuld be soon after the turn. "The Kentucky" turned out to be a Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant and the "soon after the turn" was sooner than we thought, as the place was actually IN the traffic circle. Needless to say, we drove for miles after that left turn. Which made us arrive too late for the tour but we were still free to walk around and see the distillery. It turns out blue Curacao is a great way to make a drink turn blue (or orange or other colors as it comes in many), but it's not too tasty in a shot form! Curacao is a popular liquor so I expected this attraction to be much larger, but I think it's worth going to if you can find it. I see someone else has posted a review saying it's closed for reconstruction right now, but you still can go for a "tasting." I recommend going for the sheer adventure of it, even if it's closed for reconstruction, but remember that's it's actually in a traffic circle (after you turn by the Kentucky). I would not recommend you take an expensive cab ride for this one!

Visited May 2012

• Finnish first
Ramsey, Minnesota
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Free shots!”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Short tour learning about the Curacao Liqueur; ending with free shots of many of the varieties. The distillery is quite small and does not export so we did not see/learn any of the actual process of how the liquer is made.

Locust, North Carolina
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Short but informative tour, free samples”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

The liqueur has an interesting history tied with the history of Jewish families on the island. The displays were museum quality. Then, you get to sample the Curacao liqueur, chocolate liqueur, rumraisin, and coffee liqueur. Cute, reasonably priced souvenirs as well.

1 Thank Susan P
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Closed for reconstruction”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

They are currently closed and all they offer are tastings at the moment. It was a bit hard to find, so we were a little frustrated when we found out they were closed. The liquor is very tasty, though!

Norfolk, Virginia
50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 297 helpful votes
“Visit on Your Own, Not as Part of a Tour”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I stopped at the distillery as part of a cruise ship tour. I enjoyed being able to sample the liquors, however I later discovered that many of the shops in town allow for free samples as well. The tasting area was very crowded due to the tours. I even had to stand in a long line to make a purchase. (I don’t believe that the prices are any better at the distillery than they are at the shops.) I would recommend trying to visit on your own and not as part of a tour. I would imagine that you would be able to learn more about the history of the liquor and perhaps try more samples.

Visited June 2012