“Good introduction to Curaco history, lovely building”
Review of Maritime Museum

Maritime Museum
Ranked #28 of 109 things to do in Willemstad
More attraction details
Owner description: Opened in 1999 as one of many projects undertaken to commemorate Curaçao’s 500th anniversary in 1999.
Alexandria VA
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Good introduction to Curaco history, lovely building”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Air conditioned! Need I say more in August? Yes, well it is also interesting - better than reading the pages in the little guidebooks this 3 story museum tells the history of Curaco from a maritime point of view - which is basically most of its history. We got a quick but good guided tour of the main floor, walked and read all the exhibits, and watched the movie - definitely watch the movie if you want the whole picture of the history of the harbor. I agree with another reviewer that more about how the pontoon bridge works would be good. Right now there is a very nice mult media art exhibit celebrating 150 years since slavery was abolished - some of the pieces were excellent. Seeing the exhibits that showed how the building itself had deteriorated and was restored was great - these things take time, dedication and energy. You don't just have to be interested in boats and shipping to enjoy this history lesson. Did I say it was cool in there? And just over the bridge from the floating market.

Visited August 2013

Port Charlotte, Florida
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Lots of good info”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Not a big museum but filled with knowledgeable staff and lots of history we all enjoyed it enjoyed the history of curacao and the shipping industry

Visited September 2013
Raleigh, NC
“Unfriendly and unhelpful staff!”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

The treatment we received at this museum was so bad it was comical. Of all the places we visited on the island, this was the only one that I would rate as terrible, and only because of the staff.

The hours of operation clearly state Tuesday to Saturday from
9:00 AM to 4:00 PM. We arrived on a Thursday at 3:15PM, a little later than we had intended because the museum was a little difficult for us to find. Because of the way we had arranged other activities on my trip, this was really the only opportunity we were going to have to see this museum so we thought we'd at least have a look around for 45 minutes until they closed.

The lady at the desk was clearly very upset when we walked in. She rolled her eyes and told us that the museum was closing soon. She told us to come back another day. I explained that I thought it was open until 4pm and asked if that had changed. She told me that she had already closed the cash drawer for the day and again told us to come back another day.

I told her that we would be unable to come back on another day, and asked her if she was going to let us in. She did end up letting us in but would not allow my girlfriend to purchase anything from the gift shop (which was unfortunate). While we were there she was obviously annoyed and wanted us to know that our timing was not appreciated. As soon as we left (about 30 minutes later) she slammed the door behind us!

It's a shame really since there were some quite interesting items on display, but the whole experience was uncomfortable and a little surreal. I wondered if I was on one of those prank TV shows.

Visited July 2013
Guernsey, United Kingdom
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“Good for under an hour”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

This is a small museum which you can visit in less than an hour (unless you watch the 30-minute video). Typical things for a maritime museum: models of ships, history of the island, paintings and photos. We found a couple of gems in the gift shop. For $6.50 entrance fee, you can't go wrong- it's something to do if you've got nothing else to do in Willemstad.

Visited July 2013
Willemstad, Curacao
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“A bit historical”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

If you into history and particulary about sea and boats, this place would be a nice one to visit. Although it's not huge museum, it is pretty rich in in history. Dating from 1499 onward. Very interesting place.

Visited October 2012