“Great stay, great place!”
Review of Avila Beach Hotel

Avila Beach Hotel
Ranked #7 of 32 Hotels in Willemstad
Reviewed November 5, 2012

If you have the chance to stay here by spending a bit more money then you should, I decided to do this for our honeymoon and it was a great hotel.
The grounds of the hotel are well maintained and look great. There are 2 beaches (one is windier than the other), shopping plaza (with a great coffee place), a few bars and restaurants and all the places we tried were good.
It is walking distance into the main part of Willemstad, but the hotel has a free shuttle that will take you twice a day (once in the morning and then at 2 I believe). It is a warm walk and they are doing a lot of renovation along the way so it doesn't always feel safe once it's dark but we never had any issues. Most nights we ate in town, the resort has a pool bar, Blues Bar and a restaurant, there are also a few restaurants almost across the road.
The room was great, nice but small balcony and the bathroom was pretty modern. You can get your room cleaned everyday by the cleaning staff who are quite friendly or when you wish.
I would recommend this hotel for anyone coming to the island.

3  Thank feetpeet
Write a ReviewReviews (1,290)

Reviewed November 3, 2012

We had a great time at Avila. Wonderful facilities, beautiful rooms, excellent swimming pools, and a magnificent beach. The only downsides is that the kitchenettes in the new rooms are a little small and if that's all we need to complain about... One other thing: room service would take ages if they came at all.

Excellent hotel, excellent stay, really charming.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank SlingerJansen
Reviewed October 21, 2012

All in all not a bad hotel and certainly a break from the never ending cruise passengers in the capital Willemstad. The desk staff were very helpful and the room comfortable. There is something odd about the design of the hotel, it is a little rambling. The wellness center is spectacular, with a great view and very contemporary equipment. But the staff at the beach bar do this place a disservice, they are slovenly, slow, surly break glasses every 5 minutes and the worst of the worst was the beach waiter who was trying to learn how to twirl his tray, and continuously dropped it, resulting in frequent clattering, boy give it up practice at home. I ordered a cheese and Dutch sausage platter for lunch and got a large plate of lumps of cheese some cut from stacks of cheese slices, a greasy salami and some ham. No bread no crackers.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank spindoctor_9
Reviewed October 11, 2012

It was my first trip to Curacao I really enjoyed the Island very rich in culture. My stay at the Avila was very pleasant the staff was very helpful the pool, beach and rooms were clean we stayed in the Octagon room which has the perfect sunset veiws. The neighborhood is not in the best condition however, I felt safe enough to walk to the store at night. The hotel is very close to downtown I would highly recommend the Avila hotel.

Room Tip: The Octagon rooms are lovely.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Jay0125
Reviewed October 9, 2012

My wife and I just returned from our first trip to the Carribean. We live on the West Coast, so it was quite the long trip, but worth every minute! When we arrived at the Avila Hotel, we were delighted to see that the pictures didn't even begin to do the hotel justice. It was lovely in every way. The Octagon is very modern, clean and with all the amenities. The staff (Daniel, Jennifer, Cassandra, Kahlid, Clifton, Pearl, Jeanine, Alice, Tone, and many more) was very friendly and super helpful, they went out of their way to accommodate our requests for island information, room upgrade, etc. There are 2 beaches with snorkeling access, an infinity pool, outside bar and dining and the BEST brunch in town. You must have Clifton's waffles, they are fabulous. Restaurants nearby such as Fishalicious, Rozendales, and St. Tropez were all great dining experiences to mix it up during our stay. The city of Punda, was within 10 min walking distance, although the hotel provides shuttle service twice a day. We chose to walk and explore. The architecture is AMAZING. The colors are stunning. Must rent a car a couple days and explore the island. Cas Abou beach is wonderful with white sand, a bar onsite and plenty of snorkeling. We also visited several other hotels such as the Hyatt (45 min from town), Marriott, Renaissance & the Hilton (on Ostraband side) and not near Punda. Hands down, the Avila Hotel is the BEST choice in terms of convenience, near town & other restaurants, brunch offering, spa services and amenities. We will definitely stay at the Avila Hotel our next trip!

Room Tip: Staff will allow you to leave bags at front desk while you check out your room....if it's not to...
3  Thank David3G
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Stayed here 9/26-9/30 2012 Several issues starting with location very run down neighborhood about 1 mile from the heart of Willemsted. You will not feel comfortable walking to pontoon bridge or floating market place and really should not leave hotel at night on foot. The wireless Internet is very limited to just around the hotel lobby unless you have laptop and can use a cable in room. No air conditioning in lobby or restaurants. Service in resort bars marginal at best. Pool and beach are nice. We stayed in blues wing rooms were a little dated and would not cool to less Han 80 degrees. Loved Curaçao but would never stay here again.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Randy H
CasparLuiken, General Manager at Avila Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Thank you very much for your response on Tripadvisor. It was a pleasure having you recently at the Avila Hotel and we trust you had a safe journey home.

By doing so you give us valuable information regarding your stay with us. We are glad you enjoyed our pool and beaches.

We are sorry to read that you did not enjoy our surroundings and the character of our town. We have property protected by Unesco heritage on Curacao which after a certain time acquire monument status. The downside is that these buidlings are not maintained when not sold to a prospective buyer and therefor do not receive the required maintenance. With regards to the comments on our service we are pleased to inform you that we are working with our staff to improve on our services everyday.

On behalf of our staff we would like to thank you for your stay and hope to welcome you again in our hotel in the near future.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly with any further queries you might have.

With kind regards,

Caspar Luiken
Resident Manager

Reviewed October 4, 2012

We couldnt decide where to stay for this trip and were torn between the Hyatt and Avila. We decided to spend a little more and stay at Avila assuming we would be closer to town etc. the hotel is lovely. The grounds are nice and the beach has the BEST SAND I have ever felt and I live at the beach in NC. My husband and I literally rolled around in the surf (weird, i know, but it felt so good, lol!). The service at the front desk was great. it was his birthday and I ordered a cake to surprise him (a week in advance) with two specific requests--I asked that it be but free and that it say "Happy 35th Birthday Jason". Sam, the US rep told me it wouldnt be a problem and I was pumped! Well, they didnt reach out to me once there so I sought them out and they had not prepared the cake :( however, they went to the local grocery store and bought a cake so it all turned out fine. i was very happy that they accommodated my special request.
The cleanign staff at the hotel, especially the manager, Alice, was wonderful! the room was always perfectly clean!
The Blues restaurant food was not great. we ate there twice and I wouldnt recommend however the Pool Bar menu was fantastic! The Belle Terrace menu was expensive but very good! The breakfast buffet was not worth the $40 (per couple) in my opinion. We had an equally good, much less expensive breakfast at the Coffee Factory (cafe barista) cafe on site (they had the BEST frozen espresso drinks!).
I am a huge MOJITO fan and the mojitos were hit or miss--all I can say is figure out which bartender you like and order from them only! Some came in small glasses, others in large, some with lime (as it should be), others with lemon (?) and so on. We ordered Cosmos our last night (menu had same ingredients as the regular US way) and we were served very large water glasses of what tasted like pink lemonade...the WORST cosmos I have ever had! Beer was of course, a safe bet and the traditional Run and Coke was a given.
Taxis were always available without a long wait. There were plenty of chairs at the beach and towels and you could always find soemthing to eat. On site activities center too was very helpful...

Now for the Cons: The hardest, most uncomfortable bed I have ever slept on. My husband said it was like a floor with springs! Had to take taxis everywhere because it was "unsafe" to walk and this really added up. breakfast was way too expensive for what you got and the drinks at the bar were completely Hit or miss.

Pros: Room was always nicely cleaned, staff was very nice and helpful, beach was lovely (i literally swam or floated in the water for hours), ethernet was in the room, lovely grounds and very close to town. All in all I would recommend for someone who wants a nice hotel with a convenient location to town but still on the beach.

Looking back: We are a little more adventurous than the average vacationer so we did jet skiing and windsurfing as our extra activities...it turned out both places were right around the corner from the Hyatt and we spent about $25 each way. We saw the Hyatt...it looked really, really nice and the beach was much bigger and there were, of course, more people. The sand didnt even compare (it was scratchy and course as opposed to smooth round micro pebbles (I'm telling you it was the best sand Ever!). Stay at the Hyatt if you want to be more active and stay at the Avila if you want to be closer to town.

Room Tip: We stayed in 322 at the Octagon wing--our view was great. Ask for the upgrade :)
3  Thank 102LaurenB
Also consider these accommodations in or near Willemstad
Lions Dive & Beach Resort Curacao
Van der Valk Kontiki Beach Resort
Scuba Lodge & Suites
Scuba Lodge & Suites
#2 of 32 in Willemstad
Blue Bay Curacao Golf & Beach Resort
Blue Bay Curacao Golf & Beach Re...
#1 of 1 in Dorp Sint Michiel
BijBlauw
BijBlauw
#4 of 32 in Willemstad
Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao

Been to Avila Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!