“Awesome place to stay”

Renaissance Curacao Resort & Casino
Ranked #6 of 32 Hotels in Willemstad
Reviewed August 23, 2010

My mom and I went to Curaçao on a 3 night 4 day vacation deal and this was the hotel we selected. I was a little unsure because of the photos on their site and the reviews here on TripAdvisor but we were pleasantly surprised! This hotel is AWESOME. First of all, it is in the middle of town so getting around is fairly easy. We decided to rent a car our first day and the Budget rent-a-car is inside the hotel. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The casino is a decent size and even on a Monday night you can find a decent crowd gambling away. The restuarant food is delicious. Try the soup samplers (the pumpkin is my favorite!). The shops are all located in the Renaissance plaza which is all inside Rif Fort. All your shopping desires are also there... Deisel, Diamonds International, XOXO, Max Mara, Armani Exhange, the Bentley Jewelers whose name I forget, Swiss watchmakers...etc etc... and all this is inside the hotel complex. The beds are super comfortable. As for the rate, we got a steal, and noted that even though we didnt have a great view, we paid nothing next to the $612 max rate posted just below the emergency escape plans. Another thing, their is one issue of subterfuge: Infinity Beach isn't really a "beach" per se. It has all the trappings of a beach, sand, sun, and all but it is not like the ones on the other coasts, because the hotel is located in the harbor. Nonetheless, they did an AMAZING job of recreating one out of water directly from the Caribbean overlooking the harbor. I've never seen anything like it. Palms trees and all! Anyway, if I come back to Curaçao in the near future, I won't even consider another hotel. Nice job Renaissance.

• Stayed: August 2010
Write a ReviewReviews (1,781)

Reviewed August 20, 2010

Overall, the stay was a postivie expereince, however I do not think I will return to stay here again.

Pros:
1. Clean
3. New
4. Good location
5. Comfy bed, awesome lighted mirror in bathroom :)
6. Good decorating
7. Pretty pool

Cons:
1. Traffic (the hotel's parking garage is also for the shopping area, one night we couldn't leave because the traffic was backed up for hours up to mulitiple levels of the parking garage. This was only on Saturday night.)
2. Sketchy Area- We were walking by Rif fort at night around 8 pm and all the sudden hundreds of teenagers started running from the floating bridge area back to Rif Fort panicking.... My boyfriend told me to get down and wait. It was really scary. I have no idea what happened, but there were police a few minutes later. Possibly a fight broke out? Just keep your eyes and ears open.
3. Pool closes at 7 pm
4. "Delighted to Serve" is pretty useless.... I had to call 4 times to get a bottle opener. The just ignored us. We called to have turn down service, and got ignored. I had thought I had a $100 voucher for drinks & food included in my package so I asked them about it. The lady at the front desk said she would get back to me tomorrow, and never did.
5. Food is EXPENSIVE. $4 for a glass of orange juice, $7 for two eggs...
6. Concierge-less, on your own for planning

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 17, 2010

We did not know what to expect from this hotel even though the reviews were very positive. Well it was fabulous. The hotel was great and the location I thought was perfect. Our room did smell a little musty the first day but once the sheets were changed it was fine. Probably just because it had not been used in a while.
We did not do all inclusive and I was happy as we ate in many different restaurants in the area and I like having the option to do that. Hotel food was only ok I would say but with the many restaurants right by the hotel it was great. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful. This area is very much catering for the cruise liners but as it was August it did not impact our stay. I would recommend getting an Ocean View room as it is lovely and the interior rooms would overlook the inside of the hotel. We had a little balcony which allowed us to eat breakfast overlooking the Ocean.
Our room was cleaned every day regardless of the time we left it.
The Faux beach is really cool and I liked it a lot and it was never too crowded that you could not swim or relax by the water. There is a little infinity pool also if you want to avoid the salt water. Fitness facility is average. The little coffee shop by the fitness area was handy for snacks etc but you pay a pretty price for it. There is someone available by the business center to help book day trips. I recommend the trip to Klein Curacao (little Island off the coast) and we went by the Sail boat as there is some shade on it. They supplied food etc and it was a fun day trip.
The Rif Fort which is where the hotel is built is lovely with some cute shops and places to eat. There is a spa also and although I had planned to use it I did not but it looks lovely.
Overall I give this hotel 5 stars for everything as I had no complaints for what I expected. Food and service are slower than in the US but it's vacation and island time so what's the rush. I found it a very relaxing break and liked that the hotel location allowed me to walk into Willemsted and also hang out at the hotel with only 5 mins walk between them.
The port is right beside the hotel so you see lots of large ships passing in and out and I found that interesting.
Another good point is all the water on the island is safe to drink as it has one of the largest desalinization plants so don’t feel the need to buy bottled water. We drank tap water everywhere and it was so refreshing.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank girliechick
Reviewed August 16, 2010

Background: we usually take 3 trips a year; been to Mexico, Jamaica, and Hawaii for tropical locations. Stayed with Dreams, Riu, and Grand Palladium.

Purposely did not choose a resort style for our stay this time. The town - Willemstad is so amazing. It would be a waste to stay anywhere else.

Renaissance is at a great location. Definetely cannot beat this location. Based on the location, you're within walking distance to a lot of wonderful food ranging from fine dining to authentic tasty local eateries. Right next to the Emma floating bridge. Every time I walk over this bridge, it always brings this calm and peaceful feeling over me.

The bed is overlaid with a featherbed which makes it very soft. It was perfect for me but a bit too soft for my boyfriend. We stayed in a ocean view room and it was beautiful, peaceful, and very very quiet! . WARNING: do not choose the resort view. Your vacation would be ruined. See pictures on tripadvisor.

The "beach" on the second floor - it's GREAT! Went to other real beaches on the island - quite rocky. Other so called beautiful "beaches" are also man-made. Love the salt water infinity pool while you feel like you're swimming in the carribean sea with all the ships.

One thing that kind of bothering at the hotel...15% service charge with all food, beverage, and restaurant charges and the staff is still expecting "tips" on top of it. Asked one of the staff re: the service charge to clarify that it is tips...she said it's complicated to explain.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 27, 2010

On the event of an unvoluntary extra night on Curacao, the airline drove us to the Renaissance in Otrabanda. It's quite a huge place with a Casino on ground floor, clearly visible and audible in the lobby. Nevertheles up in the room it was quiet and comfortable. The rooms offer an up to the mark furniture and enough pace.

The hotel has the shape of an triangel with the inner rooms facing an inner courtyard. It looked like a ballroom, used for festivies, parties, etc. at times. I believe it could be very noisy in this rooms during a long wedding party...

The restaurant offered buffet in the evening and for breakfast. A few tables are outside for those fed up be AC or want to have a smoke. Service is probably average with a good potential for improvement considering the size of the hotel.

Overall a not bad place.

Reviewed July 20, 2010

My wife and I recently returned from our 1 week vacation. We feel fortunate to have chosen the Renaissance as our place to stay. We opted for the all inclusive package. The food,casino,fitness center and friendliness of the staff made it a spectacular experience. Both the infinity and ocean pools were definitely something to see. Beach chairs both in and out of the sun were plentiful. The staff was dedicated to making your vacation relaxing and memorable. I can mention a few names... Glenn (loves Minnesota sports) , Marvin (does it all), Silvio and John, however everyone we came in contact with made our week special. We rented a car and toured the island. We visited a few beaches and they were beautiful! Ideal for snorkeling but bring your own equipment. The only negative aspect was the lack of consecutive beaches to stroll on. Curacao seems to have a rocky coastline that prevents this. The drive from the airport was the best part of 1/2 hr. Taber Tours was not reliable. The cost of $25.00 for a taxi was worth it.

Reviewed June 29, 2010

This was by far the best hotel/resort experience I have ever had. The people are so friendly and always wanting to help,the facilities are clean and well maintained. The pool/beach area is great as well. We did the all inclusive package which was TOTALLY worth it. I would definitely recommend this to anyone and hope to go back again soon.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Willemstad
Lions Dive & Beach Resort Curacao
Van der Valk Kontiki Beach Resort
Scuba Lodge & Suites
Scuba Lodge & Suites
#2 of 32 in Willemstad
Floris Suite Hotel - Spa & Beach Club
Blue Bay Curacao Golf & Beach Resort
Blue Bay Curacao Golf & Beach Re...
#1 of 1 in Dorp Sint Michiel
Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao

Been to Renaissance Curacao Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!