“Try It, It's worth it.”

Renaissance Curacao Resort & Casino
Ranked #6 of 32 Hotels in Willemstad
Reviewed June 26, 2010

When I visit Curacao, I usually rent a car and stay in the countryside at a small inexpensive hotel. I like the drive, fresh air and open road. That small hotel feels like my home away from home, quiet, breezy and serene. Normally on the last day of my visit in order to satisfy everyone's needs, I will stay at one of the resorts, like Breezes, Marriott, Hilton etc. This time I decided to choose the Renaissance Curacao Resort and Casino. It was not there on my last visit to Curacao in 2007, so being fairly new I really was excited about trying it. On this trip I just wanted to relax in the room and go to the casino, but by having my teenage daughter with me, that was not going to be possible. She wanted adventure. I gave her the adventure the first few days on the island by staying at another hotel in the countryside, then the last days, we checked into the Renaissance.

Upon arrival I found it was a bit confusing to find the entrance because of all the shop and boutiquie set up there, but once I asked around I was directed to the entrance of the hotel. Parking surprisingly was free.... that made me happy and the check in process was smooth. Vanessa the front desk agent speaks very good English and was always smiling and cheerful. It was a spectacular example of customer service. She wanted to make sure that she was fullfilling our every desire and that made me feel special. We checked in really early at 11:00AM (normal check in is at 4:00PM) and our requested room was available. We requested one of the rooms with an ocean view based on the reviews of travelers in tripadvisor and yes it was very beautiful. The room, view of the infinity pool, ships in the port and the garden were all breathtaking. I enjoyed standing on the balcony and getting lost in the total beauty of it all. While my mind was on going to the casino, my daughter's mind was on shopping in the multitude of shops there and swimming in the pool. So needless to say we went our seperate ways. I headed for the casino and did not see her again till they kicked me out at 3:30AM at closing. During my stay there I can only comment about the bed, the balcony, the view, the ambiance and the casino. My daughter on the other hand can comment about every shop, restaurant, movie theater, pool and amenity in that place, she roamed the entire place and spent all our money while I made it back in the casino. Her word to describe it all was "awesome." I hope that review will help someone... LOL. She loved the bed. It was soft and plush. For me it felt like I was sleeping in a padded hole, because I am accustomed to firm beds, but in her words she was sleeping on a cloud. She woke up in the morning and showed me her body imprint left on the plush bed. Nervertheless, we both had a peaceful and complete sleep.

The Casino: Most of the slot machines are designed to take your money more than they give. That is the first casino I've been to that you lose continuosly from machine to machine without any hits. I could not believe that what was happening, but I never gave up and jump from machine to machine for hours losing my money. Somehow I was hopeful that there was one machine that will finally function as a good machine and pay well and !!!wow!!! I found it at 11:00PM. I stayed on that machine until 3:30AM when they were closing and I was still on free play at that time. I won all my money back and a profit. Next morning I tested my theory about the machines... and of course I lost my money at all the other machines then I went right back to that machine and again won my money back and some. I doubt there was another machine that did that because no one else seemed to sit at a machine for any period of time.
I don't know what each person will get from this review, but I was totally satisfied even though I did not explore all that the hotel had to offer, and I did not use any of the amenities. I had a one track mind and that was making money which I did and it topped my visit there.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank CessRay

Reviewed June 17, 2010

Got a great rate through Triple A. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable. The hotel was quite luxurious and in a great location. Walk to town for a variety of restaurants and shopping, or stay and eat at the hotel for comparable cost. Beautiful infinity pools and beach. Huge ships, including cruise ships docking adjacent to property. Friendly staff. I'm not an extravagant traveler, but I got an extravagant feeling vacation, at a less than extravagant price! Curacao is the prettiest island I've explored yet! Also, always felt safe.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 14, 2010

The hotel is new, cheerful and the beds fantastic. The casino is loud but fun! The location is as good as you can get and the variety of shopping, bars and restaurants is great. The Infinity pool is beautiful, a little too salty and could use a good clean - especially along the walls. One word of warning - some of the guest rooms look out on to the conference center - no outside view, no natural air .......so lights and A/c are on all day long.
The staff generally are friendly but the best one of all is the Food and Beverage supervisor John who is also a Duty Manager - incredibly patient helpful and very nice.
I would definitely recommend this hotel and I will be back!!

Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed June 3, 2010

My boyfriend and I arrived at the Renaissance Curacao Resort & Casino and were initially thrilled with its location. The hotel and resort is situated in a trendy part of the island, in walking distance to a popular historic area spotted with museums, colorful buildings, shopping, and plenty of restaurants. The hotel is top-notch, from it's fabulous food (we got the all-inclusive package -- more on that in a bit) to its lovely location and its superior staff. We booked through Expedia and did not get an oceanview room when we booked. However, the man at the front desk offered to show us both rooms when I inquired about an upgrade. For $50 more per night, the oceanview room we upgraded to was worth it. Going out onto our deck to hear the crashing of the waves at night was simply wonderful. And it sure beat looking out to the interior of the hotel's meeting/conference area. We highly recommend the all-inclusive meal plan, as the restaurant's menus are excellent. The pool bar has great spicy chicken wings, and the frozen drinks can't be beat. The margaritas on the rocks and the Blue Iced Tea did the trick. They use premium liquor, but what's not included is wine by the bottle or champagne by the bottle. The main restaurant off the lobby has a great buffet with different choices for dinner, but you can also order off the menu. The pumpkin soup is excellent, as is the fish and lamb. If you want to eat off-site and have the all-inclusive plan, they give you $50 per couple (in the form of a voucher) to eat in one of the nearby resturants int the Rif Fort area. We ate at the french bistro and the Steak & Ribs place. So delicious! The saltwater infinity pool feels just like the ocean, and there is always plenty of room and numerous beach chairs available. I can't forget to mention the casino...lots of great slots, and I even won on a Five Times Pay machine. The Aqua Spa is next door and provides a wonderful massage. I opted for the 50-min massage ...the spa is handsomely decorated and oh-so relaxing. As for shopping, I'd recommend not buying jewelry in the shops adjacent to the hotel. Cross the bridge and head into the area with the colorful buildings. I bought an emerald and diamond pendant with matching earrings at a famiily-owned shop, and got a much better deal...The people were so nice, the culture is great, and the rooms are clean and super-comfortable. Again, you can't beat the all-inclusive plan. I wouldn't stay anywhere else. In fact, we're planning to return in Jan 2011! If you have further questions, feel free to email me at spillerk@comcast.net.

Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KarenLynne33
Reviewed May 18, 2010

From a gracious check-in with Vanessa, to the friendly security guards, to the staff at the lobby and pool restaurants...everyone was friendly and helpful. Definitely get an ocean front room, it will make a big difference. Rooms are very clean and up to date. Location is great, easy walk to town, lots to do in immediate area. Try not to go shopping when cruisers are in port, too crowded! We are so very glad we chose this hotel - will be back.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 7, 2010

Very, very nice hotel, oweing to the fact that it's pretty new. Stayed here for three nights in the summer and enjoyed it. The beds are pretty amazing, and I appreciate that they provide bathrobes (the comfortable kind, not the rigid towels with sleeves). Not too many dining options: the restaurant off the lobby looked overpriced, but the beach bar had some decent grub. Their curly fries are IDENTICAL to those of Arby's! There's an infinity pool, which is really nice, but slightly dirty (it's seawater after all). But off to the side there's a filtered pool, and I don't think kids were allowed over there. There's a shopping complex connected to the hotel, which has some nice bars and restaurants -- reminded me of a higher-end mall in any US suburb, except no Cheesecake Factory. Oh, and the casino off the lobby was pretty good for Caribbean standards, but no luck!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 3, 2010

Wonderful attentive service and great location.
Good food and personalised approach at the pools and restaurant.
Pools were fantastic - great for swimming laps and viewing the cruise ships coming and going. Definitely recommended for shorter stays.
We loved it.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank burger451
Also consider these accommodations in or near Willemstad
Lions Dive & Beach Resort Curacao
BijBlauw
BijBlauw
#4 of 32 in Willemstad
Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao

Been to Renaissance Curacao Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!