Overall on rating this is probably about a 3.6 rather than a 3 for me but I don't quite feel I can justify it with a 4. Basically, this hotel is quite nice, it's well located in Willemstad in the Rif Fort, the rooms are big and kept clean (although we did ring several times when they'd forgotten to leave more coffee and we found the random number of towels left each day mildly amusing). The bed was large comfortable and gave us a good nights sleep.
The hotel is trying to be too many things, it's trying to be a resort, business hotel, casino and wedding venue. This is understandable in the current economic climate but it ends up being a jack of all trades and a master of none. Little things like lack of Internet in the rooms and proper information about services let it down too. I'd have been quite happy if it just focussed on being a central hotel with a good pool.
Out of the two weeks here we only saw the sunset a couple of times here as there is normally a cruise ship docked at the mega pier which will block out the sunset. The cruise ships keep the surrounding shops going with a standy stream of supersize me people but also mean that the service in the surrounding cafes (which is pretty horizontal anyway) can be bad as they aren't expecting repeat business. However, this is more about staying in Willemstad and the Rif Fort rather than the hotel itself.
There were two incidents which sound silly but stuck out - other staff made up for this. At the start of our two weeks, a barman at the pool refused to give a splash more lemonade (and was quite arsey) in a cocktail which was way too strong, this was recovered by the excellent Bianca who encouraged us to come back the next day and was fantastically friendly through the rest of our trip (someone promote her or give her a pay rise!). The other time was when a security guard shut one of the doors in our face at 2350 and told us we had to walk round as the door was locked at midnight, the lady on reception did apologise profusely to us about this which was good.
There is also a business centre here, we used Budget rent-a-car from here and the service we got from them was terrible. If you're thinking of renting a car beware - the roads are terrible and I ended up having to pay $125 for a new tyre and spend half the day finding a garage as budget didn't want to help. This was on top of getting a car with dodgy locks and petrol gauge. When I initially complained other staff in the business centre (not hotel staff) where just laughing in the background.
Having said all of this I don't regret staying here it's a nice enough hotel and we were certainly comfortable, I would possibly stay here again. However, if you want a resort then go to one of the hotels a little further out - the Marriott which is about 10 mins drive away would probably do you better, if you want town but a little bit quieter maybe then perhaps try the Kura Hulanda hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in Curacao's capital city of Willemstad, in the heart of the Dutch Caribbean, the Renaissance Curacao Resort & Casino offers experiences and activities for any traveler seeking the ambiance of authentic Caribbean charm combined with European sophistication. Featuring a private beach club, this Curacao resort is built around the historic setting of the Rif Fort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, BookIt.com, Orbitz, Booking.com and Hotels.com so you can book your Renaissance Curacao Resort & Casino reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Renaissance Curacao Hotel Willemstad
- Renaissance Curacao Resort And Casino
- Renaissance Curacao Resort & Casino Willemstad