“Horrible time”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating
“Horrible time”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I wish we had loved this place like everyone else. We heard many positive reviews from our friends so we decided to dine here last September. I loved the ambiance and our attentive waitress but the food was not what we expected. The antipasto platter was generous and good but the 2 pasta dishes we ordered were the worst we've ever had. They were much too salty and we weren't able to finish our meal. We left disappointed. Sadly, I don't think we will be visiting again.

• Visited September 2012

“Excellent Italian food”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

My husband and I love to eat at good restaurants. But we came to Curaçao mostly for the diving and to explore the culture. We chanced on Pane e Vino. It's in a cute little Dutch-styled building near the Avila Hotel. We found a good selection of Italian wines and were almost immediately welcomed with an amuse bouche. For an appetizer, we shared the Vitelli e tonnato, a classic Italian dish featuring thin slices of rosy veal bathed in a light tuna cream sauce. It was a generous portion and I doubted I would want even my half. But it was so good it quickly disappeared. For a main, we had the taglialini with truffles and fois gras. It could have come straight from a stellar restaurant in Rome. it was unbelievably delicious. The chef, in fact, is from Southern Italy and sources some of his ingredients from Europe. For dessert, we had the house-made panna cotta. Again, delicious. We went back for another meal and he made us a carpaccio of paper thin raw beef garnished with shaved fois gras, truffle oil, pesto, pine nuts and a light, creamy mozzarella sauce. I don't usually eat carpaccio but this was delicious and very deftly prepared. The price was reasonable for what we got. If you're in the mood for gourmet, give it a try.

Sao Caetano do Sul, SP
“Special Italian”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

In July 2012 we had dinner there. We are a family of four. First of all, the restaurant is small, so in high season do not forget to book a table. We did not book, but fortunatelly, the staff "created" a table to us what definetely was very kind and gave us a good first impression. The food was great but honestly I think the menu should present more variety of italian food. Anyway, what we selected was just perfect. The service was good, too. The chef passed through our table just to check. Price was a little bit high but it came at the end to be fare for the entire experience, included the way they welcomed us putting an extra table. We do recccomend.

• Visited July 2012
Curacao
“It might just be me...”
Reviewed August 2, 2012

This used to be one of my favourite restaurants. The chef is a great chef with a huge personality and an obvious love for food, wine and lovely atmosphere. Unfortunately it seems exceptionally quiet these days and the level of service has declined a little. The food still tastes great but there is very little atmosphere and I have, em, had negative physical reactions each of the last 4 times that I've eaten there. As I say above, it could be me but 4 times in a row! (This doesn't happen anywhere else.)

All in all, I can't recommend that you go there but I would love it if more people did as the place needs to liven up a bit so that the menu can be reinvigorated and it can regain the lovely small but lively vibe that it used to have. Personally, however, it will be a long time before I go back!

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank PhlashPhlash
Cary, North Carolina
“Still the best Italian on Curaçao”
Reviewed April 18, 2012 via mobile

Dined at Pane e Vino last night and still #1 for gourmet Italian. Complaints about being expensive are unfounded. The menu prices are in ANG, which just makes it appear expensive. $1 = ANG 1.7, so dinner for two with shared appetizer, wine, and shared dessert was $102.