“Restaurant is a little too remote and quiet, but good.”
Review of Landhuis Daniel

Landhuis Daniel
Ranked #26 of 54 Curacao B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 31, 2013

This restaurant is in the country, so best to go if you’ve already rented a car. Taxis might cost more than your meal.

Walking in to Daniel, you get the feeling that someone converted their patio into a restaurant. It has a homey vibe…but not in the best way.

What the atmosphere lacks, the food makes up for. Everything we ordered was tasty and the staff seemed eager to please. A bit on the slow side, but we are, after all in the islands ;).

If you found my review helpful, please give it a vote. It’s nice to know my adventures serve the common good. Besides, I like those emails from Trip Advisor ;).

Room Tip: Not worth taking a taxi to. If you have a car, it's a decent place for dinner.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank aurorahunter

Reviewed February 10, 2013

From the first moment I met the manager, Olga, I felt like I was being welcomed back like an old beloved friend even though i had known her only a few minutes. In a word, the food is incredible. Thoughtfully prepared, fresh, simple and yet very complex. Much of the salad items are grown on site by the owner, who I frequently saw strolling intently through his greenhouse and checking on his plants. Ask the staff for recommendations...I had a local dish that I wouldn't have otherwise tried and I would have been the poorer for it. Breakfast is terrific too. The restaurant has a warmth to the decor that invites you to chat and share coffee for hours. The accommodations are simple and spare but clean and appropriate to the setting. This is not the Marriott, but I would argue that we left Curacao knowing the culture and food through the eyes of Olga and her very capable staff...a reasonably-priced, and special experience. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank DaydreamerTraveller
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Below is my review which was posted on another website 10 years ago (July 2002) on my first visit to Landhuis Daniel. Since I have been back to the hotel multiple times, I decided to move my review to Tripadvisor and update my experiences.

"We stayed at Landhuis Daniel in July 2002. It was located in an area considered the countryside, yet it was close to the airport. The good beaches were approximately 20 minutes away.
Five of us (two adults and three kids) stayed in one of the rooms in the Great House on the plantation. It was spacious, clean and cozy with its own bathroom. When we arrived, we were pleasantly surprised with the warmth and comfort of the staff and place. Our room had a fan, which we never used because of the continuous cool sea breeze that blew through the room. I had some of the most peaceful sleep in that room. It was so relaxing and rejuvenating.

The restaurant served tasty dishes at reasonable prices. The chef/owner Jan prepared whatever you requested if the food on the menu was not to your liking. My kids have food allergies.

There are public and private buses that stop outside the hotel's gate to take you to the town area and supermarkets. However we rented a car (very important if you are staying in the country) which allowed us to leave the property every day to go sightseeing. Visiting the beaches every day was the highlight of our trip. The water was crystal clear and calm.

I could write forever about our trip, but I won't. I would, however, like to conclude with this... when it was time to leave, we were very sad and wished we were able to stay another week. It felt like we were leaving part of our hearts behind. We loved Curacao!" End of 2002 review!

NEW UPDATES......
Since then I have returned to Landhuis Daniel in 2004, 2007, 2010 and is planning a trip this year 2013.
Basically, the experience each visit remained relatively consistance even though I was accompanied by other people on each visit. There has been no drastic change in 10 years of visits. The weather dictates if you see plush green foliage with flowers or dry grass and cactus upon arrival. Despite the weather Jan does his best to have some kind of live flowers in the restaurant/front area. I always get the.... I am finally home feeling.... upon stepping foot on the property. They always seem so excited to see me. The owner Jan Francke(a Dutchman) may appear to most guest as an impersonal, and astute businessman, but don't be discourage, he is very accomodating and humorous. He warms up with each visit.

Our original reason for staying at Landhuis Daniel was to let the children experience the basic and rustic ambiance of the old plantation and the low-key home feeling. Now the children are grown men and women we just go for the familiar, stressfree, comfortable experience. The rooms decor have remained the same.... simple and basic. Each room gives a different experience, so if you don't feel comfortable for any reason just ask for another room. Many times I have felt like I wanted to upgrade the furniture, linens and decor but then I remember it will take away from the old plantation restoration feel. Some of the rooms have A/C, but I always stay in the Great House rooms without A/C to enjoy the natual sea breeze. In 2007 I had to keep the windows closed because some bees were trying to come into the room, so I had to use the fans for the first time. The rooms are clean and basic. There are NO TV, radio, phone, internet, fridge, iron in the rooms. Those can be found downstairs in the main den area. The rooms are basically just for sleeping. Everything else takes place downstairs on the main floor in the communal area. The restaurant is outdoor on the front patio. The food and ambiance a PLUS... it is like eating with nature (flowers, birds, breeze). There is a pool, diveshop, big yard and play area for the children with slides and swings(I never used any of those amenities). The staff does not speak much english, but will assist you as much as they can with limited communication. Olga the restaurant manager speaks multiple languages and is fluent with english. She is very knowledgeable about the island, beaches and siteseeing. There is a big difference when she is around, the place just comes alive with her big bubbly personality. Everything here is very low-key and not rushed. It is a place to unwind and be one with nature. I hope my updated review helps someone with their decision to visit.

Room Tip: Choose room in Great House facing the front of the house. Great cool sea breeze!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank CessRay
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I went there alone as a deaf person. They made calls for me, were very accommodating to my needs, and advised me where to go/do. I would definitely go back to the same hotel! Although, it is outside Oto/Pda, but I had a blast driving my rental car. It is also a private setting. They will give you the key, and two remotes to two gates. I felt like home there clicking on the remote and see the gate opening for me to drive in. The dishes were incredibly delicious. I have tried other restaurants, but none was more delicious than Landhuis Daniel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 11, 2011

The restaurant is very good, the staff friendly and the food tasty and authentic
Affordable, for a fine dining place
We stayed there and ate all our meals there. The rooms are very basic, but unique and very cheap. I picked it for one of a kind experience and it is totally worth.
A bit of a drive - 10 mins to Willemstad or the beaches, but where else can you stay in a true plantation house for pennies and have fine dining...

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank ThiaTravelvast
Reviewed February 23, 2011

Landhuis Daniel has a lovely setting with a drive flanked by palms and bougainvillea. The restaurant patio is decorated with orchids and filled with bird song. I had a room upstairs in the main house and it was a little funky since it was retrofitted into the old Dutch-style plantation house but was comfortable. I loved opening up the shutters in the morning to let in light and birdsong. As most reviewers have said, because it is in the middle of the island, a rental car is almost a necessity to get around. I signed up for half-pension and enjoyed finding out what the chef would prepare although I found it confusing as to what it actually meant to have the half-pension because the meals were different from the ones on the menu. I had some fabulous meals...the chef is a wizard with fish dishes...and his boiled potatoes are the best I have ever had. Olga, the restaurant manager, was very kind and helpful. It was a wonderful way to experience Curacao for the first time.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank dmarek
Reviewed March 28, 2010

Spent a week in Curacao and each night tried a different restaurant. Our price range was $50 - $75 per person (including a bottle or 2 of wine). While some of the other places we tried were good, this place was GREAT! So good, we went their twice - they change up the menu. The ambience was perfect (outdoor seating with plenty of fresh air), the service was on their game and the food was excellent! They offer a variety of entrees - some staples (meat or fish) and then some different (from traditional American restaurants) dishes. They also had a good wine selection. Good food & good wine - perfect match!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends