“The risk is worth the reward!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and up
Private Klein Curacao Speedboat Tour
Ranked #5 of 144 things to do in Curacao
More attraction details
Owner description: The beach here is excellent, with fine, white powder sand and clear water.
Willemstad, The Netherlands
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“The risk is worth the reward!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

The perfect beach-dweller meets outdoors adventure type day. There are multiple tour operators offering their services. Although The Mermaid was also recommended, we decided on the Jona Lisa catamaran. The seas were rough, a few people got sick, but the large pontoons cut through the waves minimalizing movement. The beach, the snorkeling, the kite surfing, beach combing, prestine white powder sand, good food and drink... It truly was the vacation day we had looked forward to.

1 Thank bmuskus

• Finnish first
Valdez, Alaska
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Mermaid made our day!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

A great way to spend the day! Check my full review on Mermaid Boat Trip site. Saw sea turtles, manta ray, and various fish. The banana boat rides in the afternoon were fun to watch and a huge hit for kids and adults alike. You gotta go!

Visited May 2013
2 Thank Sara I
Boise, Idaho
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 439 helpful votes
“Don't do it!! Here's why.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

My friend and I decided on a day trip to Klein Curacao based on all the guide books and reviews on Tripadvisor that said it was an amazing pristine beach and good snorkeling - we obviously thought the reviews saying it was a terrible trip and the snorkeling wasn't that great to be in the minority and we were willing to give it a try. Having done so our recommendation is: don't bother!! Too many compelling reasons not to go!

We dismissed the reviews that said "rough seas" thinking some days must be bad but not all. However we now know no matter what day you go, seas are rough as you are going against the current and it is a rough trip - we spoke to locals on the island about it and staff on the trip. Let's be clear what "rough" means - you can expect a substantial number of people on your boat to be seasick - 1/4 to 3/4; that is a lot more than on the average boat trip. The waves are high and you will be slammed up and down and there may not be anything to hang onto. It is a violent roller coaster ride. For an older or disabled person or the very young, really do not recommend this trip AT ALL for safety reasons. On our trip, at least 1/2 the people were repeatedly sick during the hour and forty-five minute ride - and we are taking people puking into bags repeatedly, over and over, and not always hitting the bag. People sitting outside had waves and sand to contend with (many people got drenched) and people sitting inside had unbearable heat from lack of breeze - but choose your seat carefully as once the boat is moving it is NOT SAFE to walk around (anyone who did fell, one man quite hard. Some items on the boat also bounced so hard that they were thrown to the floor and broke. I have been on at least 50 boat rides all over the world on similar excursions and I am here to tell you, this was in the top worst 3 I have ever experienced!!) Rough seas means REALLY big waves, really big bounces where you lose contact with your seat and slam down HARD, and in all probability, puking your guts out. We had taken motion sickness medicine - it didn't help enough, but don't even consider going without taking some!! If you do go, take the biggest boat you can to try and minimize the roughness as much as you can (but beware, we checked - even a majority of people on the biggest boat there the day we visited were sick!).

If you are on Curacao, there are lots of very nice beaches, so there is no reason to spend money to get to Klein Curacao if you want a nice beach. The idea that it is an uninhabited, pristine island is appealing - but once you get there you realize that uninhabited doesn't mean pristine. There are two companies that have built "beach houses" on Curacao which have some shade shelters, a cooking facility, primitive restrooms, and storage spaces for beach chairs, parasols, etc. So it doesn't really look that different from any other beach except that there is no "snack shack" (though the beach house may as well be one). There are several companies that make trips to the island so you won't have it to yourself - like other beaches you will be sharing the limited space. The island does have an old lighthouse and shipwreck; it also has a lot of trash and debris. Though there is a beach area with only sand on a small segment of the island, there is also a very long stretch of beach that has sand until the water's edge, where there is a coral shelf that makes entry and exit to the water difficult and unsafe without reef shoes/Tevas/Keens. You have to stand on this coral or rock shelf and walk across it to get in or out of the water and it is NOT safe to do in bare feet or flip flops so plan accordingly! Again, for older people this is very dangerous - one man fell trying to exit the boat and get to shore and an older woman got so cut up on the shelf trying to get in and out of the water she was literally running blood like she'd been in an accident. There is no natural shade on the island, so expect everyone to be huddled under the few shade huts or competing for the few parasols. It is really tough and unpleasant to be in the sun all day - bring lots of sunscreen and prepare to compete for very limited shade - you will need it.

We went with Miss Ann Boat trips - if I went again I would take Mermaid as I think they have a nicer beach area and a bigger boat (though Miss Ann has several sizes so who knows which one might get on a given day). The food was only so-so, almost nothing for vegetarians, meat only average. Although we went for the snorkeling the sea was "too rough" to even do it so I can't say how it was, but I can say I would not bother going back to find out. It could not be worth it. Too many other very nice places to go that involve less money and suffering.

I would also note Miss Ann was less than ideal - we tried emailing (several times) for a reservation and calling twice. They would send me an email confirming we did or did not have a reservation, they just said there were problems with email call when you get to the island. Not helpful for trip planning. They did confirm a reservation to my friend by email the same day they didn't confirm to me though, so it appears the response is base don who is answering their email at the moment and inconsistent. They provide no directions other than meet at Jan Sofat on Spanish Waters - good luck with that if you are driving since there are almost no street signs on Curacao, and to get there you have to go through a subdivision of some sort and through a security gate. Though they had a few signs posted as we got near, none after the security gate, so had we not asked the woman at the gate where to turn we would never, ever have found it. Apparently most people get picked up by bus vs. come on their own - clearly Miss Ann is NOT interested in helping one book them or find them. That said, once on the boat their staff were good. Be aware they only accept cash.

This was a horrible experience. The boat ride on the way back is less violent as you are not fighting current. I still don't think handing out "rum punch" is a good plan, nor was blasting music at a deafening decibel level at all appreciated. When people began puking up the rum punch from seasickness and even my earplugs could not help me lessen the horrific music blaring I was really at wit's end - having spent the day huddled in the fetal position, surrounded by other people trying to get some shade from a shade hut, and trying to get enough shade from a measly beach umbrella to not burn to a crisp. I did enjoy the swim in the ocean except for the hazardous entry and exit. However - as we repeatedly asked ourselves - why did we pay $95 to do this when there are nicer beaches on Curacao and no ordeal involved in reaching them? We agreed neither of us would ever do this trip again or recommend it to anyone visiting Curacao, period. Don't let the guide books fool you - there is NOTHING special here worth the bad boat trip.

33 Thank DAEsmae
Chicago
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Go......just GO!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

A true, deserted island experience.

There are three companies that take people to the island, and it is accessible by private boats as well. A highly recommended day-trip to include as part of your travels to Curacao.

This was the highlight of our recent vacation.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank Watermark00
St. Louis MO
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Great trip to Klein Curacao”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

I took the Bounty Adventure boattrip and it was very nice. The crew was very helpful with all the people that got seasick on the long boat ride, but the water was extra choppy that day. The sun was so powerful so remember to wear cover ups and lots of sunscreen. The light house and the shipwreck are pretty cool and there were little lizards all over the island. The water was absolutely the most beautiful water i've ever seen. My pictures look fake! I saw a sea turtle while snorkeling and I would have loved to scuba dive there. The only improvement I would make is having a fresh water source so rinse off after being in the salt water.

2 Thank courtney613