“Solid beach”

Zanzibar Beach & Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 15 Dessert in Curacao
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Located at the eastern part of the island, at Jan Thiel Beach, you can find the charming Zanzibar Beach & Restaurant. As the name implies, the bar and the restaurant radiate warmth and coziness of East Africa. Zanzibar Beach & Restaurant is open every day of the week from 8:00AM till at least 11:00PM for breakfast, lunch and dinner. During the whole day, enjoy a good cup of coffee or cappuccino, a cool smoothie, a refreshing beer, a soda, cocktail or delicious mixed drink. Rent a comfortable beach bed or a lounge bed and enjoy a relaxing day on the beach. If you would like to escape the heat of the sun, our beach offers shade under one of the many palm trees. Toilets and showers are available.
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Great beach with a fairly young crowd. It's easy to spend an entire day laying on the beach chairs, alternating between snorkeling and sipping your piña colada's. If you brought your snorkeling gear, check out the wreck just 10 ft below the surface, a little behind the pontoon. Pizza's are good value and the transgression to the evening beach party goes fluently. The music and atmosphere are generally very good in the evening and has a bit more of a laid back feel to it compared to Mambo/wet n wild.

Overal, I'd definitively recommend the place for a young crowd! Bring snorkeling gear, a towel and some cash and you'll have a great day!

Reviewed June 3, 2013

First of all after being on the island for one week and a half I tried many restaurants.
Tuna is one of my favourite dishes so I ordered a grilled tuna in Zanzibar. I was never asked how i want this tuna to be like. Mine arrived half raw. I was so disappointed. The restaurant Tinto which is just next to Zanzibar serves a tuna with pasta which tastes amazing.
The papaya sauce that comes with the tuna was amazing. The amount of it was just too small.

Regardless the kitchen this place is nicely located. You can enjoy an amazing sunset and during the day you can see the Caribbean see and the beautiful Jan Thiel beach.

The thing that dissapoints me a bit as well is the fact that the service in Zanzibar seems to not like or really accept people who don't speak dutch.

I asked for Amstel beer and white wine for my fish and the waitresses passed our table once with my order saying something in dutch but I wasn't sure what she exactly said so I did not say anything and it happend that I had to wait twice as long for my drinks after somebody realized that the order was for me.

Also when I asked for a bill the waitress came saying something in dutch and when I let her know that I did not understand she did not do nothing... not even any word. Really dissapointed.

If this place accepts only dutch clientele then please make that clear for everybody so non dutch speakers will never come to visit you.

The other restaurants on the Jan Thiel beach are much better options for me.
For example the restaurant Tinto which i mentioned before.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

I guess when you are in these resort areas you have a captive clientel. It sure seemed like it with the service. We ate their twice, but weren't in the rooms. We were first for breakfast one morning and had to wait for seemed like an hour for our food. Then we had hamburgers one afternoon. Large servings of good burgers (should be at $20 each.) But the service?? OK one person brings you the menu, another brings you your drinks, another your food, another your bill. Probably another to clean the table after you left. This organization made me hunt for our silverware and call, track down somebody so we could pay. Curacao..big city...Bonaire.. smail town...Go to Bonnaire.. cheaper, better..everything closer...not so much driving.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

We ate at the Zanzibar twice while in Curazao. The food was great, loved the Mahi Mahi. The view of the ocean was perfect and the staff was super friendly. A lovely spot to have a glass of wine and a great meal.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

Had dinner here one night with my wife and 5 month old. It was good. Service was a little slow but OK. Food was also OK. Nothing spectacular. We also had the pizza here a couple times during our stay. That was great. Stone oven baked and made fresh with lots of toppings. Stick with the pizza and beverages and you'll be OK.