“Fabulous beach vacation.”

Memories Varadero Beach Resort
Ranked #32 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Travelled with Sunwing. Flights were on time and the service on board was very good. The transfer to the hotel was smooth. We were Diamond Club guests at the hotel and it was worth paying the extra. The check-in was quick and our room was beach side. Leo our butler for the diamond club was fabulous. Very kind, attentive, funny and was always ensuring that we were taken care of. Top notch. Yes, it is a big property so be prepared to walk but the golf cart runs regularly through the property. Food was average but if u are looking for clean rooms, great beach, great pool and nice gardens....u won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank YearlyTraveller09

Reviewed July 16, 2013

This resorts has non stop activities all day/nite. If your looking for fun this is the place to go.Great for children/teens and adults. I honestly have to say I have no complaints other than the food which everybody already knows you don't go to cuba for the food. The beach was beautiful. The best parts where the cave bar and the water slide. The nitely entertainment was excellent. The staff was great. If i had a problem it was fixed right away. If your looking for peace and quiet there is also a very nice pool close to the lobby with a swimup bar. 24 hour food and drink what more can you ask for.

10  Thank Scotiangurl
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I stayed with my family and group of friends for two weeks (extra week for only my family) from June 27th to July 11th 2013. We had our room by the beach, which we thought was going to be beneficial, but it took us a 20 minute walk to get to the main buffet and lobby due to the 1 kilometre hotel length. Although this may not sound like a big deal, making several trips a day for 2 weeks and sometimes in the hot sun or pouring rain was difficult. At the reception, they told us that there would be carts going around every five minutes to drive people, but you would rarely see one and be lucky if it wasn't full.
Coming with a large group of 39 people, we requested to get rooms close to each other, which did not turn out how we asked. We had rooms scattered all over the hotel, which spent us an extra hour or more to resolve our issue when we arrived at 9 pm (all exhausted) which most of us ended up in the same buildings. The rooms overall were nicely decorated and always cleaned. The maids were very sweet in building 34 (where we stayed) which after tipping them would leave the towels folded into beautiful swans and bows and leave us a few flowers. Also our fridge was re-filled with water every 3 or so days.
One thing to watch out for is the currency exchange at the hotel which you change your dollars into convertible pezos. Without realizing it, they took about a total of 20 pezos from us which we realized when it was too late and couldn't go back to get our money.
The a variety of food to choose from at the buffet was great, but it was a slight problem eating it every day for two weeks. For breakfast there was an egg station and crepe section, which if you are patient is great. For lunch and dinner there was a meat station where you would choose what meat the person would grill in front of you, but considering that the meat was raw at the start, it took a while to get your food. Other than that, there were a few kinds of fish to choose from and some pork on good days (which I don't like fish much). There was a salad station which had the same selection of cabbage, carrots, beats, corn and sometimes pickles and olives every day for two weeks. The snack bars at both pools served sandwiches and fries and such during the day which was great - not to mention our best three days which they had Heinz ketchup! Also I recommend to bring a jar of nutella (we saw people bring it and regret that we didnt). The restaurant building on the beach that closed (or was under repair) was disappointing, but the hamburger and hot dog grill on the beach was decent.
Our group was made up of mostly kids aged 16-20, with about 10 adults who came along. The night shows were not too bad in the theatre, although what was thought to be a real 'disco' was just music and lights played the top of the theatre behind the stairs. We went to the cave and mambo clubs, which were both great, but we were the only people in the mambo due to a previous private party. We were always looking for things to do because the daily entertainment was not as great. They chose to set their volleyball at the hottest parts of the day which they wondered why no one participated. There was an activity board which we didn't really pay attention to, which we do take blame for.
The bars were good but closed a little early through out the day. Adult bracelets are needed to be able to get alcohol. If you have a kid and go to this resort, get a 'Mickey mouse' drink- they'll love it guaranteed!!
Overall, the people there were nice with a few exceptions of course. The gardening around the hotel was beautiful and the statues throughout we're eye catching and interesting. The excursions are highly recommended- we loved the jeep safari.
A two week stay we found to be too long for us, which wasn't a problem during our past vacations in Cuba and even Varadero.
Great place overall, you get what you pay for basically.

• Stayed: July 2013
6  Thank Ladybug2013
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Memories Hotel in Varadero was very clean. We enjoyed the pool's water slide and the bar inside the water cascade was cool and comfortable, keeping the hot sun out. The beach was crystal clear and always clean, plenty of lounge chairs were always available. The food at the buffet was not bad. There was always something fresh to choose from. This hotel is more for families with children. I was traveling with a six year old and there were plenty of activities for her. There is an animal show, a magic show, camel rides and a show produced by the children. She got chosen to be Snow white and she truly enjoyed it.

Room Tip: We selected a room by the pool closest to the beach. This meant a long walk to the lobby and buffet...
4  Thank edmadelissa
Reviewed July 14, 2013

This place is the best for family vacation as well as young people. There was something for everyone.Right from the arrival everything was organized, we were picked up by a bus , the check up was quick. This resort was kept so clean looked like freshly painted and the garden was beautiful. The room was clean and was kept that way every day and supplied with bottle of water daily which was enough for the day. Not sure why people are complaining about the food, we enjoyed it. There was so much variety, we found something for all of us.It was fresh and the sweets were great. Of course there were some foods we didnt like but this can happen at home too. I would recommend if you have a picky eater like our son a small jar of Nuttella. The beach was fantastic, clean, there was always a person to help out with setting up the chairs. We enjoyed many activities that were organized at the beach. We had no problem finding a shade. The kids played in the sand and we did not see or got bitten by any sand bugs. They never run out of beach towels during our stay. The so called "loud pool" was the most popular and they had the best entertainment for everyone. Every day there was something different. Kids loved the slide. The Michael Jackson show and the aqua ballet show are a must see. We've never seen such friendly, honest and hard working people. There was no pressure for leaving a tip. Our or kids safety was never a concern, you can relax and not worry even for your personal belongings no one will take it, at least not the Cuban people.I can write all day about this vacation. After reading some reviews before the trip we did not have high expectations. Oh and by the way except few flies here and there and couple mosquitoes I hardly saw any insects and I was so ready for it that I brought 2 bottles of bug spray that I never used. We will definitely recommend and come back to this place.Feel free to ask questions for details.

Room Tip: We stayed in 27309 corner room on 3rd floor it was perfect close to the lobby, steps away from the q...
8  Thank NIkiGrbi
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I went to Memories with one of my girlfriends in May 2013 and I have to say I was kind of disappointed. We're in our early 20s and are not picky at all when it comes to all-inclusive vacations but there are some things you should know.

1. Resort: The resort is HUGE. We were lucky enough to get a room close to the beach however it was a good 20 minute walk to the buffet. While a 20 minute walk doesn't seem that bad - it adds up and drains a lot of your day! Especially when it's super hot and you're hung over from the night before - no way! We ended up not eating breakfast or lunch most of trip with the exception of the Beach Grill (nothing to write home about) and the little buffet by the beach which was only open once when we were there. Out of the whole week there we were able to catch the trolley twice. I suggest getting a room in the middle if you can.

2. Food: Like I said, my friend and I are the least pickiest people ever especially when it comes to food but I have to say the food was not good. I found one too many cockroaches crawling around the buffet stations and the food was not fresh. That being said this is the first Caribbean vacation I've taken where I HAVEN'T gotten any kind of stomach issues, so that's good. If you are an early riser be sure to check out the fresh cut mangos at the buffet. We actually would take 1 or 2 whole mangos from the fruit display and eat them on the beach (not sure if we were allowed to do that but we never got in trouble for it haha). We did the Italian and Japanese a la cartes. Italian was blah but Japanese teppanyaki was AMAZING! The best a la carte I've been to.

3. Disco: The disco on the resort was hit or miss. The first night we were there it was outdoors in the main square it was fantastic! The other nights it was in the lobby of the amphitheatre and was no bueno. The floors were always slippery as hell (so many people fell - both drunk and sober), it constantly smelled like puke and the lineups to get drinks was kind of impossible. The disco claimed to go until 2am but most nights it closed at like 12:30.

4. Staff: It makes me so sad to say that I wasn't too impressed with the staff. Normally I have nothing but good things to say about the hotel staff in Cuba and I normally always leave making great Cuban friends but unfortunately most of the staff here were very unfriendly. We would say hi to people passing and literally nobody would answer, they would just walk by and ignore us. Literally all the bartenders looked like they hated being there and would give us a hard time whenever we wanted vodka. They said they didn't have vodka meanwhile we saw the bottles full on the counter. The man and woman bartender duo at the disco had ALOT of ignorant and rude drunk people to deal with so I can understand their frustration (perhaps 1 or 2 more staff would make their jobs easier). Shoutouts to the lifeguards Yuri and Daniele - you guys were awesome!

5. Rooms: The rooms are spacious. For some reason we had an extra pullout bed in our room as well as 2 large beds. Not sure why but it came in handy for keeping our suitcases on top of. Our maid was absolutely incredible (GRR I forget her name) and we loved her to death! She always did a wonderful job cleaning up after us. A different team of people deliver the water and re-stock the fridge and they were always diligent with restocking however the delivery man would come into our room without knocking. He actually came into the room while I was changing and after yelling at him to not come in he still came and put the water in the fridge lol. We had a few cockroaches in the room and every time we had a shower the wall would leak by the beds. Also the hair dryer died after 10 seconds lol. The air conditioning worked great, the beds were good, lots of seating, mirror space, huge bathroom.

6. Beach: The most important part of an all inclusive vacation for me is the beach and it was great. We never had a problem finding a hut and the beach staff were helpful. We didn't get harassed as much as we thought we would which was good. The sand and water were clean. The beach entertainment was pretty good - they were trying hard but it wasn't a very active/receptive group of tourists when we went. We wish they would play music longer on the beach (they would only play music for like an hour).

Overall, I don't know if I would recommend this resort to seasoned vacationers and older people who crave luxury. However, for 20 somethings like us who want to get drunk and go to the beach it was perfectly fine! You have to remember it's Cuba and you cannot expect 5 star everything!

Room Tip: Get rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floors if possible and something central or close to the beach.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tasha F
pbenitez, Guest Relations Manager at Memories Varadero Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Dear Client,

First of all, our sincere thanks for taking the time to share your experience as this feedback is a valuable tool for our daily work, taking into account that all our staff and management team work hard every day to achieve our guests´ complete satisfaction. To guarantee that you have a relaxing and enjoyable vacation is our reason of being; therefore we are truly discouraged when guests are not happy. We promote our hotel with the correct information regarding our size and design and we also have shuttle service available to our guests. We will reinforce this service in an effort to satisfy the great demand of it.

Thank you again for giving us your comments; they are very valuable for us to continue improving our services and making sure that our guests are satisfied.

With the kindest regards from Varadero, Cuba!

Reviewed July 13, 2013

Stayed there with wife and 2 kids from July 6 to July 13 and really had a good time. If you expect to eat excellent food in Cuba, then you should not go there. If you expect their 4-star rating hotel is as good as the ones in North America, then you should go elsewhere like Mexico or Dominican Republic.

What reviews you should consider from is from those who have gone to Cuba many times and hear what they have to say about the resort.

We paid $2540 for 2 adults and 2 kids and I think this hotel is the best choice within the price range. You may pay a bit less for some other 4-star resorts but those resorts are really old. Memories Varadero is less than 10 years old and still considered new to me. The problem for Cuban resorts are hard to maintain its conditions. So try going to newer resort you can avoid lots of problems.

Food was fine, actually better than a lots of 5-star resorts. Like I said before, don't expect too much from Cuba for food and you will get lots of surprises. Most of the all inclusive resorts in Cuba offer 2 a la cartes. I believe it is written when you book it. If you want more a la cartes you can buy their diamond club package which you can have more. We were supposed to have 2 a la cartes and ended it up with 3. All you need to do is to talk nicely to the a la carte lady and she will try her best to satisfy your need. Once again, if you think the buffet is the same everyday, you can always have a la cartes in between. It is very difficult to get materials in Cuba that's why it's hard to be different all the times. I stayed at other Cuban resorts before I found their buffet is already the best. As for a la cartes, they have Mexican, Italian, Japanese, Cuban and French, none of them disappointed me.

The resort is huge as it has more than 21 buildings each of them consists 48 rooms. For those who do not like to walk, you should consider staying elsewhere. It's a good 10 minutes walk from the lobby to the beach under very hot weather. The have shuttle carts running but they are always full. So for people with difficulty walking they should avoid this resort.

There are two pools in the resort one quiet pool near the lobby and one activity pool near the beach. Please note that this is the only resort in Varadero that has a slide in the pool. My 7-year old loves it and we had so much fun with it. The beach is huge and clean. We could always find chairs and the staff there were really helpful.

There are entertainments every night from 9:30 pm to 10:45 pm. If you like to go to a club or something you can always go to the one near the resort and I think the taxi charges $2 CUC per person to take you there.

I would strongly suggest you to give this resort a try if you are heading to Varadero for vacation with a limited budgets. For sure there are nicer resorts in the same area but I think you will be paying $400-500 more per person.

As for tips, you should always tip according to your budget. For us, $2 CUC everyday for your maid who cleans your room. $2 CUC every meals. $2 CUC every first drink you get from the same bartender and the rest of the times for that day you don't need to tip them. You may tip the a la carte waiter or waitress a bit more since they really serve you more. $100-125 CUC should be good enough for 7-day stay. Please don't think that's too cheap because it is already better than lots of people who don't tip at all.

My final suggestion is that if you like hot dogs and hamburgers with ketchup you should bring one with you before you depart cause they don't have ketchup there. Check other reviewers' reviews I think you will love this resort!

4  Thank Jayden2010