“" Memories Made "”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Memories Varadero Beach Resort
Ranked #34 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed March 27, 2013

What a wonderfull time,,,,we travelled march 15 to march 22..".2 couples " my first time in cuba, as we purchased diamond club upgrade we were very well taken care of....our consierge ...Leodanys,,,,,hats off to him... :) he worked constantly to make our stay wonderfull...I've read many reviews ,,,for those who really like to complain,,,stay home !!!!
You are in a different country...go with the flow !!!! We took a taxi "old convertible car " into Varadero for pizza and shopping,,,what a great time...I also recomend the Jeep Saffari that was and amazing day....we spent most of ours days on the beach...DIAMOND CLUB SECTION...service on the beach " bartender Jeni."..is so nice...." not crowded and enough chairs for everyone,,,the best food was the dinner gala,,,italian,,,cuban,,,and of course japanese wow !! I would recomend this resort....and will probably return,,,,thanks again,,,:)

Room Tip: we had bldg 31315,,,top floor ,,,close to beach ,,,and beach grill,,,activity pool,,, towel exchange...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Y_D266
Jaume C, General Manager at Memories Varadero Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thanks for your invaluable feedback!

I am delighted to learn you had a wonderful holiday at Memories Varadero and wish to thank you for commending our staff.

There is no doubt in my mind that you had a memorable holiday and that your stay at Memories Varadero was complemented by other great experiences in Varadero town.

We all look forward to welcoming you once again on another Sunwing and Memories vacation.

The Hotel Management

Write a ReviewReviews (6,596)

Reviewed March 27, 2013

I find it hard to believe that there are any good reviews for this resort.
Having been to Cuba before I knew not to expect much and I have to say that I was very disappointed by Memories. I expected the standards to be higher as this is run by Sunwing (a Canadian company) and is rated as a 4.5 star resort.
Wasted the whole first day trying to get moved to new rooms, I was put in a ground floor room after I had paid for a balcony and another couple I was with was in a room that had black mold and smelled terrible. Fridge not stocked and when it was there were only one beer, pop and water. The staff at the front desk used the I don’t speak English card, but fortunately I speak Spanish.

The buffet had the same food every day and you had to wait 5-10 minutes for them to refill. There was no butter for 5 of the 7 days I was there. Too many times we were not approached by any of the staff to order drinks and finished our meals without being served. One morning one of the girls burnt her hand making omelets and had to beg to be relieved so she could tend to the burn. The hours of operation were terrible especially if you were going on an excursion, there was no time to have breakfast.
The Mediterranean restaurant food was not great and having told them I had a seafood allergy they assured me that they would cook mine separate, which they did not and I had a reaction. The French restaurant was so bad we left and went to the buffet. I don’t even know what they were serving as hamburgers at the snack bar, but it should be avoided.

The beach lacks enough chairs for the size of the resort, so you had to get there early if you wanted a chair, as most people would go there in the morning and put towels on chairs. For the size of the beach it lacks places for shade and they should add more areas of shade.

The theater had basically the same show every night just different music and costumes. After the show they would have music blaring and it would go to about 1am. If you want to sleep then get a room as far away as possible, it makes getting up early to go on an excursion hard. It should be turned down as it is very loud in the theater area.
Pool hours shut down too early 6pm. Buffet should open at 6am instead of 7:30.

Having gone to Varadero before and doing most of the excursions, the group of people I went with asked me which ones I liked best, but I was very disappointed in the lack of effort put into the excursions by Gaviota tours. Seemed like all the stops we had to pay for something, (food, drinks, souvenirs etc..)
The catamaran excursion was disappointing if you like to snorkel, they stopped in the middle of the ocean and we could not let go of the rope because the current was so strong. The crew only got the partying going for the last half hour coming back.
The Havana / Tropicana show was rushed and not very informative, (stopping for 10 minutes to take photos and driving by places in the bus) more time was spent at the market (1 hour) and hotel (2 hours) then actually seeing the sights plus we were rained out for half of the show and not offered any compensation.
The jeep tour was a waste of money; I would have rather rented a car and drove around myself.

I would highly recommend the Bellmar caves and Mantazas tour, very informative and the tour guide was great. (Paradisio Tours)

Long line ups to exchange money and the10% that they charge to exchange is ridiculous and then they charge you another 5% to exchange it back. I used my credit card to book excursions and was only charged 2%. I will not be returning to Cuba until they fix the currency exchange.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Beach-Bud403
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I read a lot of bad reviews before going to memories so I was a little worried. All I can say about the reviews is that some people are spoiled and love to complain! Don't get me wrong there are pros and cons but all in all it was a great resort! I will start with the pros
- the beach... Beautiful, amazing, aqua waters and white sands... Can't even describe the beauty of it!
- the grounds were keep very well! Always people working to make it beautiful!
- the pool was very clean and I'm picky about pools!!
- the food was surprising good! The buffet had a lot of selection and they were constantly refilling and cleaning... A la carte's were also very good! Japanese was the best! Mexican and Italian were also very good!
- the drinks were amazing! And I didn't have to wait more then a minute for a drink ever!
- the staff for the most part was very accommodating and addressed any issues we had promptly!
- the rooms were kept very clean and the maid would make lovely towel art everyday and leave thank you notes for us
- had no issues getting towels and sheets changed, just left a note for the maid
- really good water pressure in the showers!

Now some of the cons
- there were some very rude arrogant people at the resort... Not the resorts fault though... But some people have no manners or respect!
- the ladies at check in were not very nice! It was fast but they seemed very cold!
- the French a la carte was disgusting and the waitress kept making horking noises and was rude so we actually left!
- the buffet by the beach had birds eating the food from the buffet and when I told one of the workers she said ya they always do that...
- a la Carte's fill up fast! It's a big resort with a lot of people! They do their best to be accommodating, but try to book right away!
- beds are a bit lumpy, but pillows are good and I had no problems sleeping!
- there was only one computer for the guests to use, they should get a few more for a resort this size...
- people steal beach towels and you are charged 15 peco's if you loose yours so keep an eye out!
- people put their towel on chairs at the pool to reserve a spot, and then take another towel to reserve a spot at the beach... Again this falls under ignorant people!

The people in Cuba are amazing and they love Canadians... A little bit of kindness towards these people goes a long way! If your hoity toity and spoiled, don't go here! If you want to have a good time in the sun and relax, then memories is a great choice! We would definitely go back!

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Jessica M

Dear Guest,

First and foremost, I want to thank you on behalf of our staff for your comments and words of praise towards our hotel.

I have no doubt in my mind after reading your review that you had a great time with us and I equally wish to thank you for your suggestions and recommedations as well as your very positive feedback on our a la carte facilities.

I am truly sorry your holiday was disrupted by other people's poor behaviour. I know how very upsetting this can be. Though of course we have no way of predicting how customers will behave when they are on holiday, we know that our managers are usually very firm with anyone who is being a nuisance. It must have been extremely frustrating for you.

As for your comments about our Reception staff, I was disappointed to learn that they were not nice and that they did not give you a warm welcome. I will personally check this with our Head of Reception as our Front Desk can make the difference between a good or a bad first impression.

I am also very sorry for your experience at the French Restaurant and you can have my personal assurance that we do not condone attitute of such sort.

Concerning your comments about the birds, this restaurant is open plan to stopping the birds from flying in is a challenge, to say the least. We have placed bird feeders outside the restaurant facilities to keep them off the building.

As for our beds, your comments have been duly noted and this is an aspect that we are looking at very objectively for further improvement.

In closing, I wish to thank you once again for your excellent feedback, looking forward to welcoming you once again in a future holiday with us.

The Hotel Management

Reviewed March 27, 2013

We travelled to Memories Varadero from March 16th - 23rd. There were 3 of us, ages 61, 39 and 9. Before we left for our trip I was very hesitant after ready many reviews on trip advisor about this resort. I am happy to say that this was a very beautiful resort and I would definitely recommend to all my family and friends. The resort is huge, so there is a lot of walking, however, there are passengers carts that are continuously going around to pick you up. We grabbed these when we could but if there were none in sight we strolled and enjoyed the beautiful grounds. We stayed in room 27310 that was close to the main lobby so it was a short walk to the lobby and buffet every day. We spent every day at the activity pool. A word of advice is to make sure that you go early to the pool to put your towels on your lounge chairs to save them, or there will be none available until later in the day. This is not due to a lack of chairs, it's due to alot of people hanging out at the activity pool to enjoy the activities! The staff that run these activities are fantastic and so friendly and fun! Cecilio and Wilson will take care of you at the swim up bar and they are very friendly and so much fun! Don't forget to tip the activity pool people as well, as they put alot of effort into making sure the guests have a great time! We came back every day to a clean room and towel animals on our beds every day. Our maid Osdanay was very friendly and fabulous as well! We chatted with her every day! The toilets do not have alot of water pressure, but we learned to throw the toilet paper we could in the garbage and it flushed just fine. It's just a different standard in Cuba. We did get a clog there our second day but the maintenance staff were very quick to come fix it. The public bathrooms throughout the resort were always clean and there were always staff there cleaning them, certainly no issues there. The food was good. It's Cuba so you can't expect what you eat in Canada all the time. Breakfast was by far the best meal. Sausage, bacon, ham, fresh omelettes, crispy hashbrowns and yummy orange juice and crossaints to name a few. We usually ate lunch by the activity pool, hamburgers, pizza and fries were yummy! IF you are a ketchup lover, bring your own, as their's is different. I also saw people with their own Chez Whiz and peanut butter as well. Great Idea! Staff are very friendly and have your glass refilled and dirty plate away before you can ask. We ate supper at 3 a la carte's Italian, Cuban and Japanese and we loved all three and recommend all three! The entertainment in the night time is wonderful! Something at the theater every night and we also took in the swim show at the pool. Go early to get a good seat! Love the live music as well in the square! We all had a great time and there was always so much to do. I would definitely go back to this resort and would recommend it to anyone. Don't let the negative reviews turn you off of this resort. It was a fabulous vacation with fabulous staff!

Room Tip: 27000's is up by the lobby and next to the quiet pool. Close to main amenities and buffet.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Colleen F

Dear Guests,

First and foremost, thank you very much indeed for your review on Memories Varadero.

I was thrilled to learn that you thoroughly enjoyed our services and facilities and that your expectations were not only met but exceeded.

I also wish to thank you for commending our staff. Please rest assured that your kudos to Cecilio, Wilson and Osdanay will be conveyed to them along with a pat on the back for a job exceptionally well done! Our people are our biggest asset, so comments about our staff always make our day!

Regarding your comments on our entertainment team and activities, I am very pleased learning that you enjoyed our wide range of activities. Our aim is to have a plethora of activities for all age groups and to ensure our customers have fun during their much deserved holiday.

In closing, I want to thank you once again for your invaluable input on our hotel, hoping to see you soon again on a Memories Varadero and Sunwing vacation.

Jaume Capo
Memories Varadero

Reviewed March 27, 2013

This resort is huge with several pools and right next to the beach. It is at the very end, one of the last stops on the bus from town. Our room was massive! And there seems to be lots of constuction work (both at the hotel and in Varadero as well) going on whilst we were there, probably more rooms as Cuba is getting more and more popular with the tourists.

It is nice for relaxing, and they try to put on enough entertainment for the guests through out the day. There was one Michael Jackson show that they did that was just hilarious! The guy seemed to really believe he was Michael Jackson and everyone was screaming for him and stuff.

All in all, it is a good base to relax, at a reasonable price, and then there is lots to see in the area and trips to be made to Havana, which you can even arrange whilst at the resort.
Make sure to carry around lots of small change and tip the staff because they work very hard and they are always happy, friendly and smiling with the guests.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank AKWShix
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Just returned from a 2 week stay, was excited to have an ocean view that we paid extra for and to my surprise the view we got was if you stepped out onto the deck and peeked around the corner to see a small piece of the ocian, not deluxe like they said it would be and that was off the 3rd floor balcony too! No operational 110 outlets like they said would be, and also their well stocked bar was 1 bottle of water and 1 maybe 2 beer if you were lucky! Only 2 alacarte included with the package but if you got to know a staff member from a bar or restaurant they could usually get you into the others. Ohter than that we had no problem but the resort is big and sits perpandicular to the beach so it is a long walk from the lobby to the beach, probaby close to 3/4 of a kilometer. Do plan on returning to this resort, I would not catgorize it as a 4.5 star, 4 tops!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Dpituley
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Listen what people say about but never forget that we are all different individuals and percive things around us differently. One of the most beautiful beaches. Tons of fun, entertainment all day and night. Variety of food, take you time, pick wisely, do not waste. Lots to choose from. It is different from what you ordinarily eat so find something that you are familiar with. Try a little before filling the plate, experiment, but do not waste. You can always find something you really like in buffets. Restaurants are very good, again depends on your taste. You have to make appointment. Check your papers carefully, we had 2 suppers scheduled and did not notice it until the last day. Customer service was excellent. They are trying hard so whatever you need do not hasitate to ask for. Supper that we had at Gala dinner was excellent. Our kids also had a blast. They are 18+, they loved every minute of this vacation. Make sure to inquire first day about everything. do not allow to find things the last day... Definitely recommend Jeep safari. Try it and than decide for yourself.Dont let other opinions steer you away.
Watch out for the sun, bring lots of sunscreen lotion, spf50 recommended.
2 things we really did not enjoy,
1-it is hard to see so poor countryside
-advice -take lots of candy with you. you will make some kids in the countryside very very happy. Next time I will bring a suitcase full of small bags of candy. Money does not mean much to a 6 year old but a hat or a candy, totally different story. Give them to the people in the country side, not in Varadero.
2-everybody expects a tip or a present, weather they deserved it or not. Did not enjoy this part at all. I am just not used to it.
Advice:
1-do not overpay tobbaco and rum, the best is to buy it on the airport. Trust me on this one, I paid
the price.
2-do not listen to others, exchange money on the airport when you arive. You will save around 5-
10%. I would rather give it to some poor kid than loose in exchange and feel "taken".
3-do not let your taxi driver or " so called guide" recommend restaurant or bar for you and take it for granted. Choose for yourself, check menu, check prices. In Havana they all get percentage for bringing you in the bar or restaurant. Walk away if you feel that is overpriced as it definitely is if you feel so.

Room Tip: Look for the room that is not on the ground floor. Block 3200 is close to beach and close to enterta...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Zoran123a

Dear Guest,

I am delighted to learn that you had a brilliant family vacation in our resort, and wish to thank you on behalf of our TEAM to taking the time to complete your review on Memories Varadero.

It is great to know that your expectations were exceeded and we are extremely grateful for your insight and trips to fellow reviewers, which I believe they will find extremely helpful and enlightening.

With regards to your suggestions and recommendations, we will take them all on board. Our customers feedback is of unparalleled value to us as your views definitely help us improve our services.

I was particularly delighted to see your comments on our food and our restaurants as we place a great deal of emphasis on the quality and variety of food and always strive at enhancing our customers dinning and culinary experience.

Once again, thank you very much on behalf of my team for your comments. We all look forward to welcoming you on a future vacations at Memories Varadero.

Jaume Capo