“Enjoyable Stay at Memories”

Memories Varadero Beach Resort
Ranked #32 of 65 Hotels in Varadero
Ontario
“Enjoyable Stay at Memories”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I stayed at this resort from January 6th-13th and found it very pleasant. It wasn't perfect, but I don't know of one that is. This resort was the least I've ever paid for an all-inclusive and quality-wise, it was the best. Don't believe all the bad reviews. Go with an open mind and you'll have a blast!

The staff were extremely friendly and helpful, even at 4am. The beach was fantastic; there are two pools that cater to those who want a quiet, relaxed holiday and those who want a more active one; the shows and live music in the evenings far exceeded my expectations (if the stage performers were allowed out of the country, I think some would be working for Cirque du Soleil); and the food was what I've come to expect in Cuba. As compared to other Cuban resorts, this one had a reasonable amount of variety and the food was always hot. (Suggestion: bring some ketchup and soy sauce packets and your meals will be more enjoyable)

The rooms were decent. Always clean and we found them to be comfortable. The bathroom was large which was nice. We always had hot water and good water pressure. Our mini-bar was stocked daily and we had fresh towels most days. We were also able to exchange our beach towel every day. One day we went in the morning and they were out of clean ones, but we were able to exchange them mid-afternoon.

The activities staff were absolutely amazing. There was no shortage of things to do. They have aqua aerobics and yoga by pool and on the beach each day, beach and pool volleyball, dance lessons, Spanish lessons, cocktail lessons, bocce ball, etc. You won’t be bored if you don’t want to be.

As noted, it's a large resort with lots of walking. Personally, I enjoyed the exercise. There are minor issues, like the pathways not being well lit and some foot wash stations that didn't work, but these certainly didn't ruin my holiday and wouldn't prevent me from returning to this resort.

All in all, we had a very relaxing and enjoyable holiday. I'd have no reservations about returning to this resort. You get what you pay for and then some!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
30 Thank LCB97

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,611)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Nestleton, Canada
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I spent a week with my family from Jan 8th 2013 to Jan 15th. Overall it was a pretty good place to relax. Fairly large resort, therefore lot of walking. They have little cars running around to pick up and drop off but 3 out of 5 times you won't find one. Great pool, pool bar and of course the beach was great. Food is usual Cuban food. If you like spicy food please take some hot sauce or horse radish with you. Don't forget your ketchup.
Internet service is extremely poor. They have 3 computers and most of the time only one works. and this is for 2000 guests :(. Internet is very slow and cost about 11.00 Cad for an hour use.
Overall service was very good. please take your used clothes and shoes to give away to locals, gardeners and maids. They'll love anything that you don't need.
Have a great trip.

Room Tip: Get a room close to your favourite spot. eg: beach or pool 2
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
10 Thank Ram T
British Columbia
Reviewed January 18, 2013

My husband I & booked our 1 week vacation to Memories over New Years through Sunwing. I will try to keep this short and stick to the most dissapointing experiences we had as there were many.

Our trip started off at 3am when we woke up to leave for the Toronto airport, we checked our flight online before leaving the house. The Sunwing website stated it was on time to depart at 7am. That was not the case though, once we got to the airport we were told the flight was actually delayed until 2pm. Very frustrating seeing as we are from Vancouver, visting family in Toronto over Christmas and our ride who lived an hour away was almost home by the time we got this news. So we were stuck at the airport for a very long 9 hours! The frustrating part was they knew the night before that our flight would be delayed, but didn't even try calling any customers on the flight to let us know of the delay or update the website. We were offered only a $20 food credit per person. Considering how early all of us had to be up to be at the airport on time, at the very least they should have been offering hotel rooms for us, I felt so bad for the people with small children. Luckily our 7 month old was being watched by grand parents.

Once we finally got to the resort we were given the wrong room, so I had to march back the 10 minute walk to the main lobby. I was very polite telling the lady at the desk that we had been given the wrong room (I was not about to spend a week with my hubby in a single bed!) I was told they were out of Queen bedrooms. I am all about managing peoples expectations, if you knew you were giving me the wrong room why not tell me that up front so I'm not ticked off and walk all the way back to complain? I would have been fine if I knew up front and had to go back in the morning to change rooms. Once I mentioned this miraculously they had just 1 room left. We went to the new room which had nothing in the fridge, we had upgraded to Diamond Club and were also suppose to have robes in the room and there were none.

At this point we had to just laugh about everything, we're pretty easy going people and we tried our best to make light of it all. The room was honestly not bad, a little out dated but it was clean and had a nice big tub in the bathroom.
Our first trip to the buffet was not great, but it was pretty late and they were closing soon so my expectations were low before going, we ate bread some veggies and rice, good enough to make it to the morning anyway.
The morning buffet was not bad, the usual omlettes etc.
It was after the morning that things went really down hill, we tried to eat lunch at the grill on the beach. We figured you cant go wrong with a burger (they are not made of beef by the way), well we got there and they were out of buns. So we made our way to the small buffet close to the beach, I got in line at the grill, waited 10 minutes for a burger. When I asked for 2 (I explained I was getting one for my husband) I was told no I could only have one because they were running low and oh we dont have any buns here either. I was gritting my teeth a little but took my bunless burger anyway, when I went into the buffet hoping to get some salad or fruit there were only a few items to choose from, no fruit or salad though. I settled on a deep fried grilled cheese and ham, kinda gross but it was actually the only good tasting item I had while there.

Because I can see this is already longer than intended I will get the other stuff point form
- We were suppose to get 4 reservation with Diamond Club, when we went to book the computers were down (told this after waiting 45 minutes in line) when I went back to book them I was told we could only have 2 because there was no room, even though the night before we were told the resort was only at half capacity.
-Very long wait to exchange money, when we finally got into the closet of a room the lady was taking to her friend on the phone (oh and horking up phlem as she blew kisses to her friend through the phone, lovely!) There was also a bucket collecting water dripping from the ceiling.
- Went to the snack bar at the activity pool our 2nd morning at 10:30, we were told they only had hot dogs for breakfast.
- Went to the 2nd snack bar hoping for more options, we were told they only had Omlettes or ham and cheese sandwhiches, fine we could deal with that. We ordered one of each, it took almost half and hour to get our food. When it came my Omlette had nothing in it, just a folded over egg on a dry piece of toast with a tablespoon of peas and green beans with mayo on the side. My husbands ham and cheese had 1 slice of ham and a triangle of cheese, half the bread missing on one side and maybe 10 fries.
- There were aslo lacking any sort of resort information with times restaurants were open, maps or any sort of itinerary for the activities.
- We never did get our robes, special turn down service, premium alcohol, butler on the beach or the reservations to the specialty restaurants that we paid extra for.

It was at this point we decided to cut our losses and get the heck out of this place, I went to the Sunwing desk and asked to be moved to a resort that actually had enough food to feed all the guests staying there. It didn't have to be good food, we just wanted any food at this point.
We paid almost $1800 a person for this trip, had we paid $1000 each I would have sucked it up and lived on hot dogs for the week, but at that price there was no way we were staying there. I honestly never thought we would be the type of people to complain and leave a resort, we've traveled to many all inclusives from 3 to 5 stars and have never so much as went to the front desk to complain about a thing. So these people that say the bad reviews are just a bunch of picky complainers, you are wrong!

After much arguing with the Sunwing agent, we had to pay an additional $324 to be moved to the Riu 2 doors down. I will fight to get this money back, it's ludacris to charge people to move resorts when you dont have enough food to feed the guests and cant provide the most basic amenaties.

The Riu was FABULOUS! I felt like we had been on Survivor and the Riu was a reward trip.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
21 Thank GirlyGirl1480

Travelers are raving about these Varadero hotels

Grande Prairie, Canada
Reviewed January 18, 2013

We stayed at this resort from Jan 6-13/2013 and after hearing glowing reviews about Cuba we were excited to experience everything. Well, after our experience at this resort it is very apparent that none of our friends and family that have travelled to Cuba before ever stayed at Memories!! Don't waste your hard earned money to stay at this resort!
-Way too much walking and never seems to be a cart aroud
-They close the pools and snack bars down early
-You are expected to tip just to receive clean towels and water in your room!!
-I knew the food was going to be bad before I went, but wow!
-Dirty washrooms that rarely ever had any tissue paper
-Broken lights in the hallways everywhere, bathtub faucets that leak everywhere, toilets that plug all the time
-front desk service was very poor!
Overall, Cuba outside the resort was great, but I will never ever reccomend SunWing or Memories to anyone!!!!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Spyder0409
Bath
Reviewed January 18, 2013

We had booked, as part of a Cuba package, a superior sea view room for ten nights at this hotel. After a great deal of hanging about we were eventually shown to a disgraceful, grubby room crammed with three single beds, not facing the sea and with no view, but with chipped and stained sanitary ware and lurid orange decor. We went straight back to reception to complain. Our evening meal was a disgrace. We lost the entire following day of our holiday in furthering our complaint and in negotiating an alternative hotel. (See 'Breezes Bella Costa' review.)
THIS HOTEL IS A DISGRACE. We shall not be booking with The Holiday Place again.

Room Tip: Move to a different hotel!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
7 Thank JaneAustinBath
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I read all these reviews after I booked this vacation and thought"these must be really picky people" We had a very open mind and are very simple people. We went with our two children ages 9 and 6 years old and my father. Our idea of summer fun in roughing in the bush in Northern Ontario camping. I did not expect luxury. What I did expect was the canadian expectation of necessities, being a sunwing sold vacation. We traveled from January 9th to 16th, 2013. I feel I did spend good money on this vacation and was treated quite poorly and ignored. Between the amount I paid for my family to go to this resort along with all the tips I was expected and asked to leave I could have went some where I would have been treated better. I always thought tipping was something you do when your service is good. I can't make the whole world a better place. We work very hard for our money each day and value how we spend it.

1. There was a extra bed in the room that crawled with ants that I was supposed to put my child to sleep in, which crawled with ants for the whole week with no resolution.

2.The whole hallway light outside my door was out the whole week that we visited. We had to feel our way through a very dark hallway to our ant infested room every night.

3. Our shower did not spray in the bathtub and would flood into our hallway. Lack of towels made it really difficult to clean up. Our sink facet didn't reach into the sink properly and flooded onto vanity.

4. Our family did not receive the appropriate amount of beach towels for the amount of people sharing our room the whole week. We gave our towels to our children. Our complaints were ignored.

5. Getting bottled water was impossible for us at this all inclusive resort. We were given two 500 ml bottles of water per day. We don't drink alcohol or pop.

6. This was supposed to be a family resort, but I could hear loud partying every night to the extreame, along with bad behavior. All inclusive if you want to spend your whole week drunk.

7. I didn't find that there were much activities geared to my children and very little interest in them.

8. Each evening I watched the tide come up on the beach and wash all the cups and garbage on the beach into the ocean.

9.The resort was really large and alot of long walking for a tired 6 year old.

10. Large house fly baked in my stuffed tomato. Yuck!

*Althouh things did not work out so well for us. I found the entertainment quite amusing along with some of the excursions. We did make the best of the situation and managed to have a good time together in the hot climate. It was a good life experience for our family. I would try Cuba again, but unfortunately not this resort. Sadly, this was my families experience.

Room Tip: Really research your vacation choice. Check reviews before you book. Don't go under 5 star in Cu...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
13 Thank FriendfromNorth
Vancover, B.C., Canada
Reviewed January 17, 2013

We were here for a wedding party and wasn't expecting too much after reading some of the less that stellar reviews on TA. After staying here a week, I must say, we had a very pleasant stay at Memories. What made it very special for us were the happy and cheerful staff who made us and our 2 year old feel like part of their family. We were very surprised at some of the bad comments regarding the staff but it goes without saying that if you treat the staff with respect and not like 2nd class citizens, you will be treated kindly in return.

Our room was a stone's throw from the beach but it made for a long walk to the buffet restaurant. It's really a case of damn if you do, damn if you don't when it comes to room location. If I were to come here again, I'd probably choose a room near the center of the complex to minimize walking distances. From what I gathered from friends staying in other rooms, it seems we all had the same problems, massive flooding after showers, toilet seats that weren't attached properly, poor air conditioning and extremely firm mattresses. Noise was pretty minimal except for the one night when someone had the bright idea of turning the swimming pool into an outdoor disco, radiating loud Euro trash dance music throughout the resort until 1 in the morning. Needless to say, there were a lot of complaints to staff the next morning.

Other than that, we had a great time. Food wasn't a problem, the buffet was standard fare, nothing great, although we noted that the meats were incredibly overcooked (probably intentional to avoid food poisoning). We had dinner at the Cuban restaurant, recommended and the Italian restaurant, which was average. Our 2 year old had an amazing time frollicking on the beach and chasing little girls around the swimming pool. There is a kid's club where you can drop off your child so you can spend some quality time with your loved one. But for the most part, our days were spend relaxing on the beautiful sandy beach and then winding down in the lobby bar after dinner with a mojito and a cohiba before retiring for the evening.

If you're on a budget, I wouldn't hesitant to recommend this resort.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family