“Memories nov 23 -30” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #30 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
BC
“Memories nov 23 -30”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

My wife and I just had an awesome week at Memories Varadero. We had read reviews so were not expecting the Ritz, and this was also our first holiday - (other than Disney Land) so our expectations weren't super high. We arrived at 1:30 am and requested a king size room...should of specified that ahead of time. The front desk person at that time could have been a little more accommodating -but it was the middle of the night So the first night was not the best however the Sunwing rep did his thing in the morning and we had a king room.by the pm . The second room was more inviting and had better working toilet.. :).. We spent very little time in our room but it was more than adequate, air-conditioned and well cleaned. The bed was about as hard as we expected.
The maid service was excellent. We did tip her with gifts we brought every morning and she did some amazing towel art for us every day. We ran into her just before leaving and she was so appreciative. The Hotel property was great .The ground keepers were welcoming and I had some great sign language conversations. The beach was beautiful. The kayaking and catamarans were great.
The pools were very nice and very clean.
The buffet was as some others have mentioned - the biggest issue was food temperature. The foods that should be hot tended to be luke-warm and the foods that should be cold could be colder. Cuba is not known for it's food - so it is all quite bland. However, we always found food that we could enjoy. The Fruit and fresh veggies were great as were the fresh custom made omelets made in front of you in the morning . The custom grilled fish and chicken for lunch and supper were good but the beef - not so much. The ice cream was addictive. Deserts I describe as fair. The waiters and waitresses were all awesome. Japanese was the best a la Carte . The others needed help. The snack bar served some really nice fried fish with fries as well as good salads.
We tipped quite generously but sat in different areas so had different staff.
The bar service was awesome.
We did the Havana and the jeep excursion and felt that they were both great days although long and tiring. . That is where you see the real Cuba.
The resort is a place where I would take my grandsons without hesitation. It seemed very safe with lots of kid activities.
The night shows were very entertaining.
The trip to town on the double-decker bus was painless and made for a good afternoon. We wanted to go back for supper at a restaurant but ran out of time.
The standards we found were not as they are in Canada but when we faced the challenges with a smile we were treated well and had a great time. (FYI - while in Cuba it's a good idea to carry toilet paper with you in your pocket) Also there doesn't seem to be any designated 'smoking areas' which means that all areas are 'smoker friendly'. We found that somewhat annoying as often people were smoking at the table next to us as we were eating (or whatever we were doing)
All in all this was a fun vacation for us and we would return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank saddlerBc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,567)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Niagara Falls, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

This resort is very large and spread out. The diamond club was a joke and not worth the extra cash. We got no special treatment
, it started at the airport when we had to pull our own luggage off because they over booked on the bus, then when we got to the hotel, we were greeted and taken to a room for check in and a bottle of rum. I had done 3 room request a month before and got a response back, that would be taken care of and they put 2 together nand put the other couple at the other end of the resort. The shuttle service was poor and you spent alot of time waiting for one. The diamond club lounge was disco music, very loud, flashing lights, not for the baby boomers of the world, which by the way is the biggest spenders and repeat travellers. But not for the 6 of us. On the up side the food was good, the staff are excellent and the room was clean, they need to put coffee makers in the rooms, We had to walk 15min. to get a coffee first thing in the morning. When checking out, all we can say is 8 busses, total chaos, Sunwing you need to do something about this one. We were suppose to leave at 7:30 and didn't get out till 8:10 with a full bus just from that hotel. Good thing we made no stops, as we had VIP at the airport and we wouldn't have had time to use it

Room Tip: If you are in good physical shape, you can go anywhere. Medical or physical problems stay in the 20...
3 Thank Pamela M
Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

We flew Sunwing great airline book with them if you can. We all had a great time at the resort, great staff, food good but not very hot at times. Great entertainment, all round nice place. You will not be disapointed weather was perfect. Tke a trip on the bus lots of fun going into town.

Room Tip: Big resort lots of walking rooms close to buffet and lobby get 24...28
3 Thank bestofbritish
Lion's Head, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

My partner and I and our 6 year old daughter just got home from this resort and it was exactly what we wanted and we had a fantastic vacation. I'll break this down and be thorough :)

GETTING THERE: We flew with Sunwing and for the most part that was ok. A meal was included and it was pretty good. I wish I'd known there were kids meals - you have to book that with your travel agent in advance. The movie didn't work either way so bring a book. There were delays on both sides but nothing major. The buses were there to get us when we arrived and the transfer was easy. We changed some of our money at the airport and I"ll echo what everyone else says - check so you know the exchange before you go and GET A RECEIPT! We were tired and just wanted to get on the bus and ended up being shortchanged $$. The Sunwing presentation the next morning was pretty fast and simple - just an overview of the resort and excursions and emergency contact info, etc. We didnt have any other contact and there was never any pressure to commit to Tours or anything else. To head home the buses picked us up at the right time and we got to the airport with no problem. We were lucky enough to meet folks that had the Diamond Club late check out option because check out is at noon and our bus wasn't picking us up till 5. You can pay $10 pesos an hour to keep your room for a later check out. We just moved our bags to our new friends and it worked out great.

RESORT AMENETIES/ROOMS: It's absolutely beautiful, one of the top in Varadero in terms of the grounds and how well maintained they are. On the bus trip in from the airport as well as my two trips into Varadero, I never saw a resort I liked more. There are a few that are fancier but they are not the ones that are rated well for kids so this one was the perfect combo. The lobby is huge and has that Cuban architecture that wows. The coffee bar in the lobby is the best anywhere. It's a huge resort but we asked for (and received) a room in a building in the middle (building 24 - it was perfect for us) and quite honestly, it never felt like a big walk anywhere. We jumped on the little carts a few times coming or going to the beach or theatre.

We were close to the quiet pool which was where we spent our mornings but close enough to everything else as well. Our room had 2 doubles and a cot, was immaculately clean - I never saw 1 bug the entire trip, with a big bathroom and air conditioning that was actually too cold and we turned off. We faced the ocean (could see it over the trees :) and loved that our room stayed cool all day. The safe was included and we used it. We never watched the TV but had brought a 220v converter so our daughter could plug in and watch a movie or two. There was a smell of mildew when we first arrived but after turning off the AC, it went away immediately. T

The two pools are huge with lots of chairs and shade if you want it. We loved the quiet pool (quiet doesn't mean silent, it just doesn't have the blaring music and partiers.) and spent our mornings swimming, sipping pina coladas at the swim up bar and or excellent poolside service for drinks from the 24 hr snack bar. The rowdy pool is big with a great waterslide and the animation team does a fun job of keeping a wide variety of people (ages, nationalities, sobriety, etc) happy and engaged. There is a cool cave-swim up bar too. There is also a small separate wading pool for young kids.

The beach is absolutely gorgeous and was very clean. Two days were windy and they weren't allowing swimmers in because of the current. But the rest of the time it was great and shallow enough for my daughter to play happily (supervised of course). IT was great for shelling too.

There is internet service at 4 terminals in a room near the lobby. There were usually 2 working at a time. You buy a card similar to a phone card for $10 for 60 minutes and use what you need when you need it. Connection is very slow and I'm sure was frustrating for people who assumed they'd be hooked up in Cuba. I didn't and so it was fine. I checked email twice and that's it.

FOOD: LIke others, we went to Cuba assuming food wasn't going to be great and I would still say that's true. But we found our favourites (all the ones cooked fresh: pasta bar, pancake/french toast, grilled fish, chicken, smoothies made to order, etc) and because our daughter is super picky we brought things with us and would recommend the same to other parents if your child has major favourites. It just makes life easier - we brought a box of cereal, a box of granola bars, some chocolate treats and a bottle of maple syrup.

In terms of what I think of as kid friendly food - if you child isn't too picky, there is always stuff like hamburgers, hot dogs, grilled cheese, pizza, fries, chicken sandwiches, etc. I'd recommend the snack bar above the rowdy pool - it had the best pizza by far and the chicken sandwich was simple and really good.

I had expected great fruit and was disappointed. The fruit really varied - a lot of it was canned. Maybe we were off-season for some of the local fruit. Desserts were yummy and there was lots of choice. That's the thing, at the Buffet there is tonnes of choice but the warmers dont' do a great job of keeping things warm! The salad bar was really good and we dug in for lunch and dinner. There were great cold cuts too.

We only chose to go to one A La Carte restaurant - the Japanese. And it was.... fine. I wouldn't call it amazing but it was a nice change from the buffet and it was cool to watch it prepared in front of us.

KIDS CLUB: I can't say enough good things about the Kids program and the coordinator, Yeni (pronounced Jenny). She was amazing and made my child feel welcomed and special and encouraged her to try new things and have fun. We didn't use it as babysitting - we wanted our daughter with us as much as she wanted to be but when she was there, she had a great time. During the day there were quiet activities as well as some "events" during the week like games and a party and pinata. We LOVED the kids mini-disco that happened everynight at 8 till 8:30... it was at the main theatre and included dancing and games and one night, they put on a performance in costumes. My daughter was Snow White and loved it. Yeni has 6 years of University in Recreation behind her... she knows what she's doing and also really cares about the kids and that's obvious.

We took our daughter to two of the late shows (beginning at 9:30 pm) - the Michael Jackson show and the Circus show - both of which were lots of fun and well done. From what we could hear from our window (which was a lot at times) the other shows sounded fun as well. We heard the Cuban dance show was awesome.

OUT AND ABOUT: We didn't do any of the big excursions because we had already done the dolphin thing in Mexico last year and thought the other ones sounded like WAY too long a day for a 6 year old. But we heard great things about the Havana Tropicana excursion and the Catamaran Excursion. Long days but lots of fun. The resort is a 2 hour taxi from Havana. The ground that did the Jeep Excursion had fun but said it was too long and hot but liked the variety of drive, scenery, snorkeling, cave, food, etc. We did take the open air bus for $5 pesos each (children 6 and under are free) into Varadero and wandered around - went to a couple of FleaMarkets and out for lunch at Kiki's Club restaurant (rated #1 in Varadero - you should go there - amazing pizza and pasta, great prices.) The Flea Markets were ok but if you go away from the big ones you get much better deals. Haggeling is expected and part of the fun. Prices can vary hugely from one stand to another. And it was the only place, in back corners and such, that I felt any level of concern about safety. And that was my anxiety, not anything I saw. People were universally friendly in Varadero and although you can certainly see poverty if you open your eyes, it's not like if you go deeper into the country or into Havana. Varadero is very much the tourist town.

TIPPING/GIFTS: I'm including this because I was really torn before I went. I'd had lots of friends tell me to bring gifts like toiletries and notebooks, etc but then read the TripAdvisor piece recommending NOT gifting. In the end, we did bring some gifts but we now what we would bring back another time that is most needed which is childrens clothing and shoes, not dollar store nail polish and hair clips. We tipped modestly - $1 peso a day for housekeeping and occasionally for coffee bar, the cart driver, etc. And like I said, next time we will tip the same and bring childrens clothes down. Example: resort staff make between $12-20 pesos a month depending on their job. Children's shoes (for school) can run $20-$25 pesos. It's crazy. Anyway... we just felt like even if we tipped well, there were some things that just aren't accessible there and were appreciated and tipping was on top. It wasn't expected. Do I think it made a difference in service? Sometimes, yes.

OVERALL: We're going back. We talked to MANY other parents and many of them had been to Cuba before, particularly Varadero and they said that this resort was absolutely the best for the combo of adults and younger kids. The waterslide alone kept some of them busy for the day :) As a parent, it made a world of difference for my daughters stay and subsequently, a world of difference for mine. That means a lot. We're already talking about going back at the same time next year. The weather was awesome - not too hot, cooler at night and the resort was busy enough that everything was open but not so busy that we ever had a problem getting chairs at the pool or beach or waiting in super long lines for food.

Room Tip: If you want less walking, pick buildings in the middle like 23, 24, 25. Choose balcony (not terrace...
17 Thank RainbowMama485
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

My daughter (20y) and I just returned Nov.19th. We were looking for a relaxing week of reading by the ocean and weren't disappointed! The beach needed to be rebuilt after hurricane Sandy but they had it back to normal by the 2nd day of our holiday and it was worth the wait as the sand was AMAZING! And unlike Mexico not a single vendor to avoid!
Very large resort so you can get your exercise if you walk to breakfast,beach etc. but they do offer non stop shuttles. We were surprised by how quickly they responded to a toilet problem - fixed same day.
Loved that they offer 24h money exchange in the lobby. Treat yourself to a latte at the coffee bar. The poolside activities weren't well organized but the evening shows were awesome - was told that different groups go from resort to resort and we saw a "ballet in the pool" performance and a Michael Jackson tribute like no other we've seen at any resort in Mexico. Suggestions: instead of tipping the maid, leave toiletries (toothpaste is scarce, tampons,nail polish) t-shirts, caps or chocolate/gum (Hallowe'en candy is perfect as candy is very, very expensive). Don't wait for duty free at the airport - prices were higher than hotel gift shop. I agree the the Al a carte is the way to go but we always managed to find something at the buffet and the desserts are great. Best to wait in line for fresh prepared pasta or seafood or prepared meats and then add the extras.
We left the resort for a tour to Havana and again for shopping in Varadero ($5 CUC pesos on double decker bus for all day - loved it).
Don't bother paying for an extra day if you have a late departure - we left the resort at midnight for a 330am flight and they were so accommodating, after checking out at noon they will lock your luggage (you have assess all day) you can still get beach towels and then use the SPA showers and towels til 7pm, go for supper, the nightly show etc. A very peasant holiday experience!

Room Tip: Rooms 25000 to 29000 closest to quiet pool and 24 hour bar. Also close to lobby and buffet. Rooms i...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
8 Thank Yahoo63
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

I have never been on a vacation before, my bf on the hand has been on a few. It took us a long time to pick where we were going to stay and we are both very happy we picked memories,
Before going to Cuba I knew the food wasn't going to be the greats..but I found things I could live on and they were great!
The bread in Cuba is amazing and it great with son pb and j! Fries taste just like home and are an amazing late night snack:)
We did a 4 a la carts, Cuban ( not happy with but the French toast was amazing) Mexican, Italian and the French were amazing and we also did the diamond club gala dinner where we don't eat seafood and they were more then happy to make us chicken. The buffet was great for breakfast! So you can find good food it just takes a day or two.
We were diamond club, and at the point of our stay we were not really happy with a few things so to make up for the things we weren't able to have like the butler on the beach for the first 3 days bc they were fixing out beach bc of sandy,and a few other things they upgraded us to a beach front suite. The regular room are great and we would have been to stay in our room, but the suite was amazing!
The staff were amazing, and the gardeners worked extra hard to clean up from sandy.
All the other resorts we heard were not as good and ppl were paying to get of the resort even to eat.
We loved memories and can't wait to go back, your trip is only as good as u make it.

• Stayed November 2012
5 Thank Apina83
Barrie, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

Just returned from this resort. I have travelled to Cuba many times, but never to Varadero. I was very disappointed by this resort. I have had better food at a 3 star resort than was offered here. The Japanese restaurant was very good, but the cooking show was terrible, we felt has if they just wanted us to eat and get out ( I have been to three Japanese restaurants in Cuba and the experience has always been wonderful) The service from the management was terrible. The restaurant and bar staff were wonderful. We had a leak in our toilet that flooded our bathroom, called for repairs. Three days in a room they sent the maid to mop it up but did not fix it. Each day we woke to a bathroom pool and returned in the afternoon to the same. When the repair man finally came the supervisor wanted me to show him where the leak came from?? We paid extra for Diamond Club service. The bathrobes we were suppose to be provided at finally came the day we were leaving, we had requested them each day. The private beach for Diamond club was to provide a beverage service from noon to 4pm, she rarely arrived until after one and was gone by 3pm. If you were lucky she came around twice during that time. One day our rooms were not cleaned when we returned at 4pm (we were using one of our 2 towels to provide a safe place to stand at the sink in our bathroom due to the inch of water we had at most times on the floor) When we requested the rooms (we had two rooms) be cleaned we ended up with 3 angry maids rushing around the rooms cleaning. After my friends room was cleaned and they were completing ours, we were in the hall and my friend was practically run over by the maid with her cart (my friend was literally pressed into the wall to avoid injury) No apology given. We left the maid tips and gifts daily, not a thankyou ever received. On the last day, we had late check out service as part of our package (plus paid $20 extra) and we were locked out of the room when we went to the lobby the clerk angrily told us we should have advised them again in the morning ( when I paid for the additional time was that not notice enough?). One day on the beach we were approached by a couple of guys selling hats etc, the security guard gave us trouble because we should have told them to leave as they are not welcome at the beach. We met a couple who had flown in from Alberta, they arrived at the resort at 1:30 am, they did not get their room until 6 pm that night and spent the day having to use the lobby bathroom for cleaning up, changing etc. They ended up sleeping for a couple of hours on the lobby sofas as they were so exhausted after traveling all night. The only good thing this resort offered was nice pools and a great beach. I would never ever recommend this resort to anyone.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank CharLameront

Travelers are raving about these Varadero hotels