“Had a GREAT time :-)” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #31 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Liverpool
“Had a GREAT time :-)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

After reading lots of previous reviews I was quite worried about going to this resort,but went with an open mind.
Firstly, most of the negative reviews must have been off negative people.

Check In was a breeze.We filled most of our details on route from airport and when we arrived at check in our room keys where ready for us.We were in our rooms within 15 minutes of arrival,how brill is that?

The rooms we were given were a little dated(like some reviewers mention) and as we were not keen on the block we were put in. We requested to be moved and this was done within minutes. The bell boys were sent with us to move our luggage.We ended up in block 39 which is right by the beach,but almost 1 kilometre away from the lobby/buffet.
We didn't find this a problem as the little buses go round quite frequent,so if you feel like hopping on and not getting some great free exercise before and after eating, its not a problem.

The Staff, absolutely fantastic apart from the lady who does dinner reservations(miserable).
This hotel does have some issues,but they have appointed management teams for each area(pool,restaurants,beach,etc) who are all working hard to improve things that have been mentioned on this site.(Bartelo is restaurant manager and he must be working 18hrs a day as we met him at every retaurant we went to regardless of the time....Keep it up Bartelo, the food really did improve over the 15 nights we were there)
Everybody works really hard to make your stay a pleasant one and for such a small salary,so a little tip here and there is much needed and appreciated.

Towels?? well ours were changed every day by the maid and the room was cleaned too.The damp smell can't be helped,its in the A/C so take a few tumble drier freshener cloths and stick them to the A/C grill. Beach towels can get changed every day if you so choose,just take them to the towel hut by the activity pool.

All in all,I think this hotel was well worth the money and by next year should be running and improving in a way to reduce negative reviews..

Room Tip: blocks starting with 20 are nearer to quiet pool and restaurants.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank LiverpoolDwavey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,565)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Brantford, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

We have been to this resort before , 6 times(sirenis, now memories) and it has changed quite a bit. New management so they are trying to improve things all the time.We would return again soon as the staff are very friendly and accomidating. The maids in 34 are very goodbut we miss our maid Barby who is temporarily off at the moment. pool staff are great. Wilson Osnay Yuni and Boris are fun characters at both pool bars. But most of all we thank Susana for looking after our needs . The lobby bar and buffet have wonderful staff also. Just wish the quiet pool snack bar would open through the day again and the spa jacuzzi was working . People complain about the food but it is the same other places also. It is cuban food and most people enjoy it. Put comments down and if they read they will know what to work on ...Returning Feb or April

RON

Room Tip: pick 33 or 34 to be beside beach.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank ron e
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

I stayed at Memories Varadero from October 29-November 5, 2012. We arrived from the shuttle bus and was greeted with welcome drinks as soon as we got of the bus. Then we received a complimentary bottle of rum during check in. After check in, we waited for the bell boy to drive a golf cart to bring us to our room. He carried our suitcase to our room and set the air conditioner for us. Before unpacking I checked the beds for bed bugs, and there were no signs of them, and I never got bitten. Our room was the garden view but basically we were on the third floor, and the view was the tennis court and some parts that looked like some landscaping was being done. Note: no elevators.

The Room:
The housekeeping ladies came everyday at different times, and so did the guys who refilled our fridge with drinks. You get a 1.5L of water, two soda pops, and two beers in the fridge. We were lucky since the day we checked in our room, our bottle of water was already opened (I guess the fridge refiller did not realize we were newly checked in), so we saw the refiller people and asked for two bottles of water. If we happened to be in the room while they were refilling the fridge then you basically can ask for the amounts of what you would like and they usually meet the request. We were lucky as our room had three beds, even though we requested for two separate beds (we were so lucky!). Our TV was purple but we received a few channels and watched CNN during the US presidential election coverage and Hurricane Sandy coverage. The room was nice. The only thing is the bath tub is designed very weird where if you angle the shower in a certain way, you can possibly get water onto the floor. So my friend and I separately tried to avoid that from happening. The toilet does not always flush cleanly and this is observed for the rest of the resort. The housekeeping ladies would change our towels. At first if we didn't place our towels on the floor, we didn't get our towels replaced. Then we did once and it was replaced but then the towels just started to get changed. The beach towel comes with the room. If you want to change it, you have to go to the beach club to exchange it. If you check out and do not have the beach towel in the room, you are fined 25 pesos. Tipping should be in pesos and not any other currency. We tipped our housekeeping but not the drink refillers. For some reason our building would be dark around 6pm, while the other buildings would have light. I carried a flashlight which I found to be very handy.

The Buffet:
My friend and I did not have any expectations for the food. We were warned that it will not be good, so we prepacked our own sauces such as packets of ketchup, mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper, soy sauce and chilly sauce. We only used the ketchup for breakfast but other than I felt that the food was fine. A bit bland but not completely terrible. I definitely figured out what I liked and what I didn't like pretty quickly. There is the fresh grill stations where they cook seafood and meats for lunch and dinner and it's an omelette station in the morning. At the fresh fish station, it's usually shrimps skewers and fish but on our last day they served LOBSTER! I was really excited, although it wouldn't be as fresh as it would be outside, lobster at a buffet isn't bad in any country. The greeters are friendly and so are the waiters and waitresses. I felt like they were really friendly and tried to help out. There was one occasion where they thought I was sitting alone at a table set for 4, and wouldn't let me sit there and sat me in another table that had 4 chairs but wasn't set up yet. I like the coffee they serve for breakfast. Only once did I find the milk having issues in my coffee. The buffet is an open concept, so we have seen a cat inside and some birds. That did not bother us though.

Lobby and bars
The lobby is clean and there's two areas where they serve drinks and coffee on the other side. I only discovered on the last day that they coffee area serves cappuccino. There's a list of what is available in the coffee station. The drink area is very crowded and sometimes they would just reblend the pina coloda blend.

There is no wifi in the resort. An internet card may be purchased at the telephone room like 10 pesos for 1 hour. The internet room is on the way to the buffet. The internet is incredibly slow. If there is no one else using a computer in that room, that the internet is faster.

The resort is pretty big so from the buffet/lobby to the beach is quite a walk. It can be about 10-15 minutes depending how fast you walk. It just seemed very far at times. There are some people who took those shuttle carts but the only time I did was when I checked in. All the other times, I walked. Even on check out, I rolled my suitcase to the lobby but I was only a few buildings away from the lobby so it was a short distance.

The washrooms in the resorts don't really flush properly. I have never been asked for a tip from one of the ladies who clean the washroom. Only once I was asked to exchange since she had received a C$5 and wanted it in pesos. I hadn't exchanged my money at the time, so I couldn't exchange it for her.

The Snack Bar:
I ate at a snack bar near the pool with the cave bar since I was on an excursion and missed the buffet. I order hamburger and it came with fries. The fries were pretty good. The hamburger bun is like a submarine bun, so don't expect a hamburger bun. I thought it was ok but I was hungry that day.

The Beach;
We went right after Hurricane Sandy was in the Caribbean, so I'm not sure if the sand should be as dirty as it was. We were told by our booking agent that the sand should be white and clean. With that being told to us, I think we were more critical about the sand that we would have been had we not known. However, I did find empty cups and Coke caps in the sand, which is really the guests responsibility to throw it out in a garbage can but the staff should clean that.

A La Carte
Part of our package, we were given three choices. We picked Mexican, Italian and the Steak House. The Mexican was disappointing. We went back to the buffet after because the food was better there. The Italian was pretty good. The Steak House was also alright. Don't expect a real steak though.

Overall:
I had a wonderful time and I found that the resort itself was pretty clean, just not too sure about the beach. This is my first time at a resort, so I do not have any other experience to compare it to. I have read previous reviews stating that service and cleanliness was a problem. Personally I did not find that to be a real problem. Just the washrooms do not seem to flush but I do keep in mind that no matter what a 4 Star resort in Cuba is different from the ones in Canada. All the staff that I encountered were friendly and accommodating. The experience at the resort is what you make of it.

Room Tip: The buildings that are the 20's are closer to the lobby, the 30s would be closer to the beach.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Choco_robba
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

I travelled from Oct 30 to Nov 6th for my wedding at Memories. I had 31 guests attending! Could LITTLE things been improved...sure! But all in all...I called from Canada and when I went there my wedding had been arranged. Susana the wedding co-ordinator was amazing with ALL my requests for the little things that I wanted to make this day special. These people worked LONG hours to accommodate me! I had a private bus from the airport to the resort (which set the pace for our vacation...cerveza at 9am the whole bus ride!), private check in for my guests and I had a private bus for a tour into Havana for the wedding party and the most amazing tour guide Felix who lasted with us the whole 9 hours of that trip. The food had improved from the last time we had been there, and the Japanese a la carte was AMAZING! The hairdresser and the spa made room for me in their schedule...I had a wonderful photographer down there and appreciated all they did to make this trip memorable. The whole wedding party was impressed with all they saw there...(alot of them had other trips they could compare to!) I think that a vacation is WHAT YOU MAKE IT!
Lots of upgrades were being done and I can't wait to go again!

Room Tip: Block 25 is central...we were at 34 which is down by the beach, beautiful scenery...but very long wa...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Ursilla H
Ajax, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

We traveled in a group of 10 from October 28 2012-November 4 2012. Our ages ranged from 7 to 65, and all of us had a blast. I had been reading the reviews religiously for months prior to our vacation and was very worried. I shouldn't have been! We loved the resort.
I'll break it down section by section:

THE POOLS. Oh the gorgeous pools. We spent the majority of our time at the activity pool. It was so fun! The kids (okay, and some of the adults) spent a lot of time going down the waterslide. The pool was big and clean, I was up early every morning and they were out there cleaning it and making sure it was ready for the day. The swim up cave bar was very cool, and the bartender Cecilio was hilarious. The entertainment staff did a great job, I did water aerobics every day, and the crazy pool games were a riot. The quiet pool looked very nice too, but we only went there once. It was perfect for those wanted to rest and relax. We preferred the latin beats and high energy of the activity pool.

THE BEACH: The first few days we were there were right after Hurricane Sandy, so the beach was red flagged and very choppy. No water activities etc. But on day four, the water was calm and the beach was bustling! Nice stretch of sand (we walked for a long time and think Memories has the best beach area) and plenty of loungers. There was always space for everyone, which is nice, because I hate the "towel game". The free catamaran was awesome, our captain Omari was very educational and nice. He told us a lot about the changes happening in Cuba etc. We also made use of the peddle boats and kayaks, and they were all in good condition and loads of fun.

ROOMS; The room was kept clean, and the fridge was stocked every day with a large bottle of water, 2 pops, and 2 beers. Our towels and sheets were replaced daily by the maid. We only got towel art a few times, but that was okay. (and yes we tipped daily in case you are wondering). There is a digital safe that was included in our package, although it has a sign that says $2 a day. Beds were alright, comfortable enough to sleep on. We were in block 35, closest to the beach, and had a decent view of the ocean. My one complaint about the rooms are the bathtubs. They are VERY VERY high. I learned the hard way after my first shower that the drop was a big one, because I fell and slid across the floor into the wall. (completely sober I might add lol). I'd recommend that the hotel install safety bars/grab bars, as I know I wasn't the only one who had a bathtub accident.

ENTERTAINMENT: This was the best entertainment I've seen at an all inclusive. The daytime staff were fun, engaging, and really made our stay. The games and challenges were great, they were good at getting people involved. Even my "too cool" sons joined in! The shows at night were terrific, not as hokey as other resorts we've been to. The Wednesday night water ballet and Saturday Michael Jackson show were especially incredible. We were there over Halloween and had brought costumes. There were a lot of people dressed up including resort staff, which was great. They even had a costume contest. Some nights after the show there was dancing in the square outside the theatre with a live band.

FOOD: I am shocked to say that we REALLY ENJOYED the food!! I don't even have to write "it was good for Cuba". It was just good period. The buffet had a lot of selection. Was there "mystery dishes"? Of course. We just didn't feel the need to eat them. Breakfast was great, french toast, bacon, made to order eggs and omelets, and fresh smoothies. Lunch there were a few choices. The buffet, the snack bar over the activity pool or the beach grill. We usually did the snack bar. The kids loved the bacon burgers, and the Cuban sandwich was delicious. We did a few of the a la cartes. The Japanese was AWESOME. Mexican and Italian were good, and Cuban was okay. We didn't try the Mediterranean. Dinner buffet again had lots of selection. The fresh grill stations were best, as well as the pasta stations and the lines not too long.

BARS: Bars aplenty. My fave was the one above the activity pool, where my favorite bartender Nuris knew my drink and had it ready when she saw me coming. Her smile always made my day. Lobby bars were good too, and the Diamond Club lounge had the best drinks.

THE GROUNDS: Well kept, clean and very big. I didn't think it was TOO big. It was nice to get a few walks in anyways to burn off all the calories. There are carts that stop and will drive you if you are tired, and we never had trouble catching one. There were basketball courts, a spa, two banks (convenient), a mini soccer turf, beach volleyball. Everything you could want. One thing I did notice is that the walkways at night could be better lit, not really enough lighting. Bring a flashlight for night walks if you can.

DIAMOND CLUB; We did Diamond Club. I wouldn't recommend it, not really worth the money. Early check in was nice, our rooms were ready when we got there, but we didn't use the late checkout as our flight was early. The turndown service we never saw, and the exclusive beach area wasn't exclusive, the serving staff served everyone there, they didn't check the bracelets. The room blocks we had were Diamond Club and they were great, but our friends who didn't get Diamond Club were in the same block as us. We did like the Diamond Club lounge for before the nightly shows, and I'm not a big drinker but others in our group enjoyed the premium drinks. I think you can have just as good a time and save yourself the extra money for an excursion or something.

STAFF OVERALL: Very pleasant and nice with the odd exception. Front desk staff was very helpful when we saw them, the bartenders were great, the grounds staff always said hello, and the cart drivers were quite friendly. Some of the buffet wait staff was less than stellar but others were fantastic.

Would I go back? OH YES, absolutely, and I plan to as soon as we can afford it!!!

If you read all of this, hope it helped. If you've already booked, enjoy your vacation, and I'm jealous!!

Room Tip: Block 35 is closest to the beach and activity pool. Furthest from the lobby, but you only really ne...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
30 Thank kimberly1177
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

We spent 8 wonderful days there and had an amazing time. The hotel was very well maintained, and the lobby coffee was excellent. All staff were friendly and so obliging, and they appreciated being complimented. The groundsmen worked very hard, and the landscaping was lovely. The quiet pool was very restful, while the activity pool was a lot of fun. The Diamond Club was well worth the extra, and the service could not have been better in all the restaurants. The nightly theatre entertainment was good, and we really loved the Mini Club shows every night. The tours had something for everyone, were on time and worth the cost.
We will certainly be back.

Room Tip: We had a suite with a beach view, which was a long way from the lobby, but the golf cart transport w...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Wendy l
delta, bc, canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

We stayed at the resort Oct 23 to Nov 2. We had some water seep into our room as Hurricane Sandy passed through. Even though the front desk was overwelmed with calls management responded to request with an upgrade to a suite that exceeded our expectations. Our thanks to the front lobby desk and and Sue at the Diamond Club executive sales dept.
We are looking forward to our next visit.
Our suggestions for minor improvements (this woould probably apply to all the other hotels)would be;
- a weather channel for trip planning
- 110 volt adaptors for those guests who were not a aware that they were needed or forgot to bring them along.
Ron & Adele

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
10 Thank ron and adele p
Also consider these accommodations in or near Varadero
Sol Hotel
Colombus Hotel
Colombus Hotel
#7 of 8 in Oyster Pond
Barcelo Solymar Arenas Blancas Resort

Been to Memories Varadero Beach Resort? Share your experiences!