“What a memorable holiday!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Memories Varadero Beach Resort

Memories Varadero Beach Resort
Ranked #30 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Edmonton, Canada
“What a memorable holiday!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

We spent 8 wonderful days there and had an amazing time. The hotel was very well maintained, and the lobby coffee was excellent. All staff were friendly and so obliging, and they appreciated being complimented. The groundsmen worked very hard, and the landscaping was lovely. The quiet pool was very restful, while the activity pool was a lot of fun. The Diamond Club was well worth the extra, and the service could not have been better in all the restaurants. The nightly theatre entertainment was good, and we really loved the Mini Club shows every night. The tours had something for everyone, were on time and worth the cost.
We will certainly be back.

Room Tip: We had a suite with a beach view, which was a long way from the lobby, but the golf cart transport w...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Wendy l

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,567)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
delta, bc, canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

We stayed at the resort Oct 23 to Nov 2. We had some water seep into our room as Hurricane Sandy passed through. Even though the front desk was overwelmed with calls management responded to request with an upgrade to a suite that exceeded our expectations. Our thanks to the front lobby desk and and Sue at the Diamond Club executive sales dept.
We are looking forward to our next visit.
Our suggestions for minor improvements (this woould probably apply to all the other hotels)would be;
- a weather channel for trip planning
- 110 volt adaptors for those guests who were not a aware that they were needed or forgot to bring them along.
Ron & Adele

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
10 Thank ron and adele p
Newmarket, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

I stayed at the Memories Varadero, October 20-27th. There were a group of 12 of us between the ages of 40ish to early 50’s. There were a few singles, and some couples. The trip was a celebration of a few milestone birthdays (a 40th, and two 50ths).

Note: this was my 4th time to Cuba (previously stayed at Sol Sirenas Coral and the Riu in Varadero, and the Memories in Cayo Coco) – I kind of knew what to expect.

Arrangements were made ahead of time with Suzanna for the birthdays and they received a bottle of sparkling wine and a cake on the day of their birthday. Suzanna was also EXTREMELY helpful answering any questions beforehand and helping us get the building by the ocean we had requested, and setting up our a-la-cartes.

We booked through Sunwing and took the 6:10am flight from Toronto. We all got the Elite Plus and were thrilled we did. When we arrived at the airport, we saw the hundreds of people in line, then we saw our special line with only a few people in it. The Elite Plus also allowed us an extra 10kg of luggage (which came in handy because I like to bring a lot of stuff to give out while I’m there), priority boarding, and extra leg room. This trip I was seated in the first row, aisle. I don’t know if I’d sit there again………….. every person that gets on that plane has to brush by me, and every person that has to go to the bathroom has to wait beside me. On the upside – I got served everything first, and I got to de-plane first.

The bus ride to the resort didn’t take very long and because we had all signed up for the Diamond Club, we had a separate (speedy) check in when we arrived. All of our rooms were ready, except one. We were in building 35, on the 3rd floor – nice view of the ocean. One couple requested to be on the 2nd floor because of the stairs – their room left a bit to be desired….. there were a few broken things (that were fixed in a timely manner), but it was extremely musty. We told them to change rooms, but they didn’t want to make a fuss, so they just sprayed a lot of Lysol and put up with it.

Ok, here we go – by category:

Diamond Club – definitely worth it at this resort. The separate check in, the services of Suzanna (who was amazing), the bathrobes in our rooms (see later in this review for explanation – lol!). There was a separate section of the buffet restaurant that was air conditioned – this was appreciated. There was also an exclusive bar across from the theatre that was open for part of the day for members only. Not only was it not crowded, we often went in to enjoy the air conditioning, watch the ball game, grab a snack from the snack buffet they had out, and enjoy some premium drinks that weren’t available at any other bar. We also had a separate section of the beach where we received Butler service, both for drinks and snacks………….that was nice.

Rooms – I was in 35314. Good view, everything was in good shape, bed was a little soft, got a few English channels on the tv, lots of hot water, good water pressure (tub leaked, but oh well). We had our towels changed every day, got extra when we requested them, and extra beach towels. We left our Maid, Yanetsy, a small gift every day and not only did she leave me several notes, thanking me for the specific items I had left, she thanked me in person several times as well. We were not only treated to a newly tidied room every day, we always had towel art and a flower or two. Our fridge was stocked every day, I left a $5 tip one day. Although I enjoyed our room and loved our maid, I would never stay in that building again. Because it was closest to the beach, it was the farthest from the lobby. Although I’m not totally against a little bit of walking to settle the excess in my system from all the eating and drinking – that was just too much for me. It was a 10-15 min walk to the lobby (buffet), then if you wanted to go to the ocean after breakfast, you had to go all the way back again. Add in a few more trips to various restaurants/pools throughout the day and that’s a lot of walking. Several people in our group got blisters. There are trolleys, and they do their best, but they are pretty busy dealing with people checking in and out. When we were lucky enough to catch a ride, the drivers were nice and we really appreciated it.

Grounds – I found the resort to be quite well kept. I realize that the resort wasn’t full, but it was nice to see everything clean and stocked. Even after the hurricane winds we experienced the grounds keepers were very quick to clean things up. Other people had previously mentioned the flies and although they weren’t as bad as some people said, I did notice them. I really couldn’t understand it – everything was kept clean and wiped, yet they had to be coming from somewhere. I can understand it a bit more at the beach snack bar, but in someplace like the lobby bar where everything is covered and kept clean…… it was bizarre.

Restaurants – We went to the Mediterranean (small portions, surf and turf was a piece of leather-like fast fry steak and a few shrimp), Mexican (good service, ok food), Japanese (lots of tasty food, good variety, good show), and the buffet (better than I expected – decent selection, not long line ups at the fresh stations, and the staff is great). The snack bar above the cave bar served good sandwiches, burgers, fries – just what you need to get you through until dinner. I also got a sandwich at the beach snack bar one day – a bit of a wait, but a good sandwich. On Thursday nights there is a special Diamond Club dinner – this was excellent! From the shrimp appetizer, to the dessert, and the amazing lobster tail in between – it was delicious! It would’ve been nice to have a snack bar closer to the quiet pool. There was a restaurant there, but it wasn’t open – if you wanted a quick lunch you had to go to the buffet or the snack bar at the other pool.

Bars / Pools – The young lady at the lobby coffee bar was very nice. Didn’t really hang out at the lobby bar much, but the few times I was there, the service was fast and pleasant. The cave bar was interesting and that pool had a lot of action, but I didn’t really like how crowded it was in the bar/cave part. The “quiet” pool was where we spent more of our time. Having checked out other reviews, I was looking forward to meeting the infamous Boris – he didn’t disappoint. What I hadn’t really been expecting was the other half of this friendly, entertaining duo – Xavier. They are the reason people enjoy themselves. They are efficient, friendly, entertaining, and they seem to enjoy their job. We really enjoyed spending time at the swim up bar, with other people in our group, and meeting new people. This pool is soooooooo big – if you don’t want any noise, just go to the other end of it and you can nap in silence. The beach bar was quite disappointing. The young lady that worked there always had a smile, but was pretty quiet, the Man that worked there forgot his smile at home! As I already mentioned we enjoyed the Diamond Club bar – the bartender was a big baseball fan, and a really nice guy.

Beach – the beach was larger than I expected (having previously been to the Riu just down the beach and knowing that the resorts at this part of Veredaro are squeezed in with limited beach front). It was very clean, and nice and sandy. Unfortunately, due to the high winds while we were there we didn’t get to spend as much time as we would’ve liked to at the ocean.

Excursions – One of my favourite excursions is the double decker bus. I brought along a cooler lunch bag from the dollar store back home, stocked it up with cans of beer from the hotel gift shop ($1 peso each!), and for $5 CUC each we were able to ride the bus for as long as we wanted and get on and off wherever we wanted. This is a great way to get some sun, see the sites and not spend a lot of money. We booked the Catamaran tour through Sunwing that included snorkelling, dolphin encounter, and lunch on the island of Cayo Blanco. During my previous trips to Cuba these were separate trips, so at the cost of $101 CUC I thought it was a great deal. On previous trips we had a guide take us from the bus to the specific boat – this didn’t happen this time. After quite a bit of confusion, and getting on and off a couple boats, it was finally sorted out and we were on our way. This trip includes all you can drink, lunch and the activities so I think it was a good deal. The water was quite rough, so not everyone went snorkelling, but the ones that did seemed to have a good time. The lunch at Cayo Blanco was lobster tail, rice, cauliflower, deep fried fish, and a bun – it was really good (there was also chicken offered). We spent a few hours on the beach there before going back out into the middle of the ocean to see the dolphins. In groups we stood on a platform in the water (chest high in the water), and got to touch the dolphins quite a bit and interact with them, then we had our picture taken with them. One day we rented a Driver and van to take us to Havana on a private tour. We wanted an informal tour where we could see the countryside. We enjoyed the scenic drive and the stops along the way to take pictures. We ate lunch in a private restaurant that our Driver had booked – it was delicious. After seeing some sites in Old and New Havana we headed home. Unfortunately the weather was getting worse and the winds and the rain from Hurricane Sandy made our drive home very interesting. We all agreed that we will take an Ontario snowstorm any day over those conditions. The roads were getting washed out in places, the winds were tossing the van around, yet our Driver just kept on going. To say we were scared is an understatement. I guess that’s like us driving in snow, but we were really glad to get back to the hotel.

Entertainment – unfortunately we didn’t spend much time at the ocean, so I’m not able to say much about what went on there. The loud pool often had activities, and I really enjoyed the bands playing at every meal, in every restaurant, and especially the entertainment they had set up outside of the theatre before the shows began. We did the impossible and stayed up the first night there to catch the Michael Jackson show – definitely worth it. This was by far the best show I’ve ever seen in Cuba. I also saw the aqua show in the pool – it was pretty impressive.

Misc. – My last four trips have been booked through Sunwing. I think their prices are competitive and I’ve never had any trouble with my bookings. This trip we took advantage of a “group rate”, and although we got a further discount it was a bit of a pain to funnel every detail of the booking and any changes/requests through one person in the group. The Sunwing Rep at this hotel, Miney (sorry, I’m sure that’s not the correct spelling, but that’s how it’s pronounced), was WONDERFUL. The orientation was extremely informative and she was so helpful when we booked our excursions, or had any questions. We did have two small issues – one with the catamaran staff and one with the theatre staff at the hotel. They were minor, and not worth mentioning here – other than to say that we reported our concerns to Miney and there is no doubt in our minds that it was taken care of!

Six of us booked massages at the spa (they don’t offer massages on the beach). It was $40 CUC for a 50 minute relaxation massage – with Diamond Club we got a discount, so it was $36 CUC. It wasn’t the best massage I’d ever had, but it wasn’t the worst – I was having a massage on vacation so I won’t complain.

We changed some money at the airport and some at the hotel bank – never had a problem with the bank being closed – you need to bring your passport with you or at least a photo copy (I leave my original in the safe once I get there).

The weather was ok, but this is the most rain I’ve ever seen while in Cuba. The first couple nights it just rained at night and the winds picked up during the day. Although we were aware of the hurricane, we didn’t have a lot of information on it and it wasn’t supposed to affect our area. On Thursday the winds were nothing like I’ve ever seen and the rain was coming down sideways! The locals said they hadn’t seen wind like that since the 1940’s. I’ve mentioned the drive back from Havana, but even at the resort things were a bit scary. Although you felt completely safe in your room, the wind howling outside, bending the trees over was something to see. We had reservations for dinner that night and were concerned about making the trip to the lobby. After a few cocktails in our rooms and some brainstorming we came up with a solution…. we wore our bathrobes and shower caps over our clothes to keep a bit dry on our trip to dinner. We did receive a few stares in the lobby, but mostly people were jealous of our brilliant idea! The power went off a few times during dinner, then it went out for about 5 hours at midnight. The lobby was flooded, but everyone made the best of it and sat around listening to the band – the show at the theatre was cancelled that night, so that was really the only thing to do.

We went into town our last night for dinner. We decided on Al Capone’s and weren’t very happy. I’m writing a separate review for that – but I wouldn’t recommend this restaurant unless they make some changes.

We paid $25 CUC for the VIP lounge at the airport. Although they were out of sandwiches, we had cheese, meat, and crackers, beer, pop, snacks, air conditioning, and tv. I think it was worth it as our plane was delayed for a bit and it was more comfortable than the rest of the airport.

Overall, I had a good week away. I enjoy Cuba – the sun (most of the time! lol!), the people, the safety, and the beaches. I found this resort to be quite large, but the staff made if for me – I would return.

Room Tip: We stayed in building 35, room 35314, overlooking the ocean - although it was a nice view, I would r...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
7 Thank RednecksGrl
Hamilton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed at this resort Sept 9-15th, it was fantastic. The rooms were clean and sheet changed every second day. The whole resort was clean. The food for Cuba was very good. There was a good variety of salads, pasta, meat and cheese trays, very good buffet. Our towels were changed every day, the service was great and the employees were very accomodating whenever we asked to anything. The beach was beautiful, the pools were very clean. I would highly recommend this resort to families with small children. The childrens pool area was safe and clean. This is the nicest resort we have been to in Cuba.
Arlene R. Canada

Room Tip: If you select a room near the beach you are quite far from the front entrance and buffet, the rooms...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
13 Thank Arlene R
Edmundston, New Brunswick
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

We arrived on Oct. 23 / 2012 to Oct. 30 / 2012
When we arrived the check-in went quickly, free bottle of rum for each room.
The room was well made and clean. The employees were very friendly, this includes all sectors, Lobby, bars, restaurants, room cleaning, fridge filling, even the gardeners were wonderfull..
I think October and also of Huricane Sandy this must have been the slow season and not much staff. Our bed was made every day and the fridge filled. The floor was NOT swept or washed for the entire week, We had to go to the lobby for toilette paper and bath & hand towels on the third day. We had to use the beach towels after our morning shower. There were no maintenance in the pool area to clean thr sitting areas, the bar tender had to do it. The beach was closed all we because of Huricane SANDY. We were able to walk along but not go in the water. The waves were extremely high and even came on land about 100 feet. The most part of the beach was washed out pretty well. Both ends of the beach were rocks. On the 3rd day my wife stipped the bed and put the sheets on the floor. When we got back to the room, the had been changed with new sheets but this was the only time it was changed. The food was relatively good, not much of a selection though. Off season I suppose. This was our third trip to Cuba, We will return again beacause we like the people and they are helpful when we need it. All in All we enjoyed ourselves but were a bit dissapointed because of lack of employees. Next time we return will be in early December or in March. I will not condemn this resort, because it was my falt for going during off season, you get what you pay for. I give this resort 4/5.

Room Tip: I never complain or asked to change rooms, I figure that when you start to complain about the room l...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank frosty18
Hamilton, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I travelled to varadero cuba for the very first time from oct 26-nov 2. At first everything seemed amazing, but as the days passed -things changed. The people weren't as friendly as they were day 1 & 2, they were lazy and ignored us half the time, and rarely would someone come to our table to ask if everything was ok. The food was definately different. something you may imagine to taste like...doesnt! lol but that didnt bother us much, we usually went up to the grill and they cooked us something fresh and spiced it to how we like it. we didnt usually eat much of the food it looked like it had been there for a while and no one was really touching it. The snack bar was horrible, the hamburgers and hotdogs ....did not taste like hamburgers and hotdogs. they were very raw and disgusting. There were SOME really helpful and good staff that worked there and they would be all over us -especially because we would tip them really good! if you don't tip....they wont even notice you. We liked many of the features of the hotel and the water slide was very fun. we also enjoyed the bar in the cave where we met some great people. The hotel on the other hand was nice and all but the quality was poor, in the bathtub is a handle that holds the bar soap and is attached by only one nail from the side....that broke 3 times while we were there and the one time when a man came to fix it he walked right in while we were there, no knock no nothing. we usually tipped every day before we headed out and the maids would make some nice swans and hearts from the towels -that we found neat! Another thing they could improve on is their lobby convenient store and the bank service. While we were swimming and enjoying our time my husband got a big rash from the sun on his chest and got even more irritated in the salt water, which made it even worse. he was in so much pain and it was so itchy and it was burning him. we went to the clinic there at the resort and the doctor had a look at it, when we asked for a cream he told us to hold to calculate the price. He said all together it would be 83 pesos (for checking him, for the cream, and for getting someone to go to the city and pick it up for him and bring it back to the resort). we were blown away by the price and walked away....later we remembered we had medical insurance and when we brought it to them they didnt acknowledge it. Later that day we had friends give us their aloe vera creams and i kept him in cool shades and slept with the A/C on and it calmed down ALOT! so we saved our selfs about $80. All they wanted to do is just rip us off our entire trip. As of the bank at the hotel, they were constantly talking to one another, smoking in the little room and whenever i were to come there they would shut the door in my face and say its closed or they dont have money and their waiting for the money truck. it was just so frustrating. when we were hammered nothing bothered us and we forgot about it all. we enjoyed our time but other then that.... not such pleasant people.

Room Tip: We asked for a room with a beach view and said it would cost us 25 pesos a person/a night....... so...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank dira b
Georgetown, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

We recently just got back! Had to post a review!! We had a fantastic time! We couldn't ask for a better resort! Our room was top notch! when reading the negative reviews, we are absolutely surprised! our towels were replaced daily, as for our beach towels (which are provided in your room, can either be replaced by the maid or pool side) the food variety was great! We also have a 19 month old child so we had to be conscientious of what we picked! There was a great variety! We loved the pool side snack bar which was open all day! We never found a shortage of food and any parents know it is important to have food available on a regular basis for a young child! We didn't get a chance to do the a la carts, but either way we could not complain about food! We never starved and we all enjoyed the food we had!! Cuban sandwich was by far my favorite! Our little one loved the yummy pizza and my spouse enjoyed the cheeseburgers
We tried a lot of different foods, everything was great! Lots of good variety at the buffet two grills were always going so you had your meat cooked quickly and very little waiting (we found only the cook time was the waiting time and it wasn't that long).
The paddle boats were awesome, beach was clean and lifeguard constantly on duty, beach bar with a grill right there so again more food always available, hot dogs and hamburgers on the BBQ
We also took a cab into varedero, to go to the market! The guys were great! Our one taxi driver was fantastic, he took us on a little detour to show us a bit more of local life and other things to see! He stopped took a bunch of family pictures for us, took our little one to see some animals! Was awesome!
If you are planning a trip to varedero! We would highly recommend Memories.
They made our family trip even more fun, plus they made my birthday extra special!

Don't pay attention to much to the negative reviews experience it yourself! If we focused on the reviews we might have missed out on one of our very best vacations and we are already planning our next trip back to memories in march!

• Stayed November 2012